As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying retro console hardware/software

• dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Not exactly console related, but I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 off ebay. Been looking for something decent for XP era gaming, and this is probably about as good as it'll get without going full "gamer laptop."

Core 2 duo CPU, and Radeon X1400 GPU.

I had a very similar one back in college, an Inspiron 6000 with a PentiumM, and Radeon X300. Ran games like Unreal Tournament 2004 really well, and was my main machine for quite a while.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Saturn arrived yesterday (a day early). It's in incredible shape, as is the controller. The memory cart is amusingly half white, half yellowed with a "tanline" right where it fit into the cartridge slot. The games (Virtua Fighter 2, Toshinden S/Battle Arena Toshinden Remix, Sega Rally Championship, and Victory Goal '96) are also in great shape. Those will keep me occupied until my pseudosaturm cart arrives, which will keep me occupied until my MODE ships. Going through the manuals with the Google translate app's live translate feature was like using a decoder ring, it was interesting.

Since it came a lot faster than I was anticipating, I haven't been able to get a TV yet, but I'm hoping to pick one up after work today.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    'Grats! Awaiting pics!

This apparently works on original hardware:

edited October 2020
    Hot new Sega tape in the works:

https://youtu.be/I6ZYlWTny4E

august on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh man that is so awesome!

Damn, now I wonder if there is something like this for the old Apple ][e line.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    My mom brought this home randomly today. I'm pretty excited about it:

oEz5wsZ.jpg

e1cGEcW.jpg

Even had the manuals:

VVPs5NN.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Taz-mania, that was a fantastic side-scroller. Earthworm Jim quality animation and you get to be fucking Taz, what God did i please?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/1Z0FmmHDRzo

Tazmania snes wasn't a side scroller unfortunately. I think it was on one of the other systems. The SNES version was super boring.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I stand corrected, the Genesis version is the one I had and it was damn fun, shame about the SNES version.

https://youtu.be/8FHWGf87mV8

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I stand corrected, the Genesis version is the one I had and it was damn fun, shame about the SNES version.

https://youtu.be/8FHWGf87mV8

I had the sequel to this game and it was damn hard

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Welp, looks like I'm collecting SNES games now, any suggestions? Preferably stuff that's not in the SNES Switch app or on the classic. Earthworm Jim is probably first on my list.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    If you have $Texas, EVO the Search for Eden is a hella rad side scrolling evolution action rpg but is a very high dollar game. If you’re gonna go for it, go all the way, I guess.
    There were some very good RPGs on the SNES if you’re into that. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV (2 in the US release), Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and Robotrek, to rattle off a few.
    Some random gems that you’ll probably never see on SNESflix: Zombies Ate My Neighbor, Goof Troop, Hook, Sparkster, TMNT: Turtles in Time (I feel like everyone I know that collects SNES even casually has this one), Actraiser, NBA Jam TE, Lemmings, Mickey’s Magical Quest (very fun only mildly difficult Disney/Capcom platformer)...SNES is my favorite system, there is so much to recommend. The only problem is the SNES games market has been rather on the expensive side for quite some time.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    E.V.O. is really great, but yeah, super expensive. We had a copy that had the corners cut off because someone wanted to run it on any console (why they didn't just file down the little tabs on the system I'll never understand) and that heavily damaged cart that still worked still got us like $150 on eBay.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Terranigma and any of the Quintet games, BioMetal, Inindo, Secret of the Stars, Lufia and Lufia II.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have the Turtles in Time 1uparcade but it'd be cool to get the SNES version too since it was slightly different. How different is NBA Jam TE from the original btw? I've only ever played the first one.

Edit: Anybody else remember Spindizzy Worlds? I have no idea what I saw in that game but I played a lot of it back in the day.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Terranigma and any of the Quintet games, BioMetal, Inindo, Secret of the Stars, Lufia and Lufia II.

Lufia II is so damn good. It's a "fine" JRPG, but the environmental puzzles were a really nice bonus that elevate the game quite a bit.

edited October 2020
    Rise of the Sinistrals is my favorite 16-bit JRPG. The Lufia games are so underrated and deserve so much more praise than they got in their day.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I only had a Genesis so never got into most of those games, but they're ones my friends always talked about and showed me. Without being, you know, the same ones I know everyone will recommend. The massive post-game dungeon in Lufia II was really cool.

uyvfOQy.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    E.V.O. is really great, but yeah, super expensive. We had a copy that had the corners cut off because someone wanted to run it on any console (why they didn't just file down the little tabs on the system I'll never understand) and that heavily damaged cart that still worked still got us like $150 on eBay.

E.V.O is fun and unique, but good lord, halfway through the music budget apparently ran out and you have to listen to the same annoying track over and over and over again and at varying speeds.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I only had the Genesis as well, but the first game that comes to mind that isn't on the Switch SNES app (but is available separately) would be The Lion King. Also, I was a fan of Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Games I have more vague recollection of liking would be Super Double Dragon, Battletoads and Uniracers.

Batman Returns on the SNES is one of my favorite beat 'em ups of all time. Super fun.

Also X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, really fun beat 'em up where the moves are handled with street fighter inputs.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2020
    I prefer Slam Masters on the Genesis vs SNES. You can play as Jumbo Flapjack and Scorpion in it, so like the blood in Mortal Kombat, you get a more feature complete game compared to the SNES.

Still a great wrestling/fighting game though with killer music.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Saturday Night Slam Masters was one of my favorite games ever on SNES! It was such a weird genre crossover game but it worked so well. I feel like the old WWF arcade game was kind of similar in the fighting/wrestling crossover and was also very good (in my young-brain).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Had a sequel I never knew about until just recently, too:

https://youtu.be/dcEa0kbC7vs

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Had a sequel I never knew about until just recently, too:

https://youtu.be/dcEa0kbC7vs

Thanks, I hate it.

Never knew about that sequel either, but from the looks of it I didn't ever want to know about it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited October 2020
    Someone buy me one of these. I have disks to write.

https://youtu.be/h2eYSfB9B6s

The Writer seems extremely ambivalent about this process.

https://youtu.be/iKTGETfB3yA

august on
    I saw the PC Engine Duo in the background and started drooling.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The MODE I ordered arrived yesterday, I was able to get it installed in my Saturn today. Now that I have it, I'll be using the Saturn memory cartridge to save instead of the 4-in-1 Pseudosaturn cart that I was using, but this leads me to a question - is there any place online where I could find a save cartridge label? The white Saturn with a blank white memory cart looks kinda goofy.

I'm slowly simplifying my collection, but there are a few games I'm working on getting for my SNES.

Currently I'd love to get a copy of Secret of Evermore. That was such a crazy, bizarre, yet fun RPG.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Live again. I considered dropping this is "Plug-n-Play" thread, but it seemed more appropriate here.

https://youtu.be/UGAjhjp8dnI

To sum up, if you want to take a different approach to RetroArch than "What's the cheapest Raspberry Pi I can get away with", the Series S hardware takes the overkill of a RetroArch Xbox One (in devkit mode) and blasts it into super-over-kill, which is a potentially promising venue for not-really-retro-but-still-emulation scenes were brute force is the solution to various problems (Playstation 2, etc.)...in a conveniently tiny package that obviously comes with accessories, etc., and an internal power supply that doesn't suck.

edited November 2020
    The Xbox being better for playing old-gen PlayStation games on than a modern PlayStation is goddamn hilarious.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Xbox being better for playing old-gen PlayStation games on than a modern PlayStation is goddamn hilarious.

That's Microsoft's commitment to backward compatibility.

edited November 2020
    Jazz wrote: »

"To be fair", you can turn a Playstation 3, or a Playstation 4, into a really great PS1/PS2 machine that wouldn't be limited by mediocre-to-bad scaling options, etc. EDIT: And if you're willing to ignore the terrible PS2 performance, in retrospect.

You just have to do things Sony really doesn't want you to do, and in the case of PS3, actively removed on their own after bragging about how they'd done the best job ever.

The difference is with Series S (really both machines, but let's use the cheaper, smaller, cuter one) is, for the same price range, it's reversible (and works a lot better than potential brute-force problems-and-solutions on PS3 especially, and here I'm thinking of things like Saturn and possibly DC). Considering what it takes to emulate a PS3 on PC, I wouldn't be surprised if a Series S could become a substantial step up from a jailbroken PS4, but that's not even "old gen" or "retro" at this point probably. That's "My Playstation 3 is dying and I don't know what I'm going to do, because Sony didn't re-release my games on PS4 boohoo" territory.

(Guess where I am.)

Synthesis on
    PS2 support on RetroArch is still pretty iffy but could improve, but if that happens and also the PS3 emulator rpcs3 gets ported to RetroArch and runs on the Series X/S that's gonna be hilarious.

august wrote: »
    PS2 support on RetroArch is still pretty iffy but could improve, but if that happens and also the PS3 emulator rpcs3 gets ported to RetroArch and runs on the Series X/S that's gonna be hilarious.

I'm only on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, but really anything past Playstation 1 (and really, Playstation 1 too) performance leaves a lot to be desired on top of quality-of-life headaches ("Great, voltage warnings quadruple the load time.").

Of course, we're talking a hardware power chasm here, and for most people who just want a brute force solution a new-in-box, cheap Xbox One ("S" revision) console would cover almost everything (short of PS3?) and let you play a few hundred Xbox 360 titles natively via discs. But it wouldn't be as cute or small. And really the PS3 possibilities are really exciting, if a long ways off. I'd absolutely pay $20 to be able to restart my Series X, stick in a USB thumb drive labeled "PS3 games", and not have to deal with my second revision PS3, and it's terrible controllers, again.

Synthesis wrote: »

I'm only on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, but really anything past Playstation 1 (and really, Playstation 1 too) performance leaves a lot to be desired on top of quality-of-life headaches ("Great, voltage warnings quadruple the load time.").

Of course, we're talking a hardware power chasm here, and for most people who just want a brute force solution a new-in-box, cheap Xbox One ("S" revision) console would cover almost everything (short of PS3?) and let you play a few hundred Xbox 360 titles natively via discs. But it wouldn't be as cute or small. And really the PS3 possibilities are really exciting, if a long ways off. I'd absolutely pay $20 to be able to restart my Series X, stick in a USB thumb drive labeled "PS3 games", and not have to deal with my second revision PS3, and it's terrible controllers, again.

Assuming you mean the original Xbox One S and not Series S here - I looked into buying one for emulation a while back you would be surprised how poor the performance is for anything past PS1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_T8l0rJgEY

Apparently the cpu is a bottleneck for both the Xbox One S and also X. It looks like the Series X/S is already an improvement though, so hopefully it will continue to get better and maybe RetroArch can start making builds that can take more advantage of the increased horsepower.

edited November 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »

Assuming you mean the original Xbox One S and not Series S here - I looked into buying one for emulation a while back you would be surprised how poor the performance is for anything past PS1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_T8l0rJgEY

Apparently the cpu is a bottleneck for both the Xbox One S and also X. It looks like the Series X/S is already an improvement though, so hopefully it will continue to get better and maybe RetroArch can start making builds that can take more advantage of the increased horsepower.

I did, and I stand corrected--I could be just be way too forgiving of performance through emulation courtesy of RetroArch on Raspberry Pi (even the newest models would be underpowered compared to a console from because, well, they're single board computers). PS1 performance on Raspberry Pi boards is probably a lot worse than my rose-tinted memories suggest.

Synthesis on