As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Cultural Event of [Blaseball]

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The Lovers got robbed imo

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miami got the Star, which is one I voted for, for the first time so I finally won Blaseball

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Apparently the script for the blessings run in order. So first a winner for Blessing #1 was decided, then for #2 etcet. This means the Suns were in the small pack of teams arriving at The Hanged Man and won that before getting to the Sun Card, which they were ineligible for.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    I am kind of confused about why Blaseball's Grand Siesta for this month also comes with 6h slowmode on the main discord for all channels. That seems bizarrely targeted at trying to eliminate any community for the next month.

It's cause the mod team is burning out and they need a break. Not a 6h slowmode everywhere, 20m is minimum cited, though individual teams might need to negotiate down.

As the head of the keepers explained to us in Garages chat, the server half again doubled in size this week alone (from 20K last Sunday to almost 30k currently) and that in addition other factors has put strain on the keepers when they were already running on fumes. I expect during the siesta we'll see an expansion of their ranks by a couple magnitudes, if only to prevent further burn out. But the vetting process takes time, and there needs to be recovery time as well, especially since being a keeper is a volunteer position.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best one available to them for now that doesn't involve letting the communities run wild. I empathize, but I also think they could have started the expansion process earlier. I've been a mod on servers with a fraction of the people and the mod team was just as large as the keepers are currently, if not larger. I do expect also part of it is now having the break and getting the chance to get the perspective "holy shit only 14 people can't ride herd on 30K" but it feels like something that could've been IDed and in the works sooner.

It's such a weird way to close things out, though, even understanding the burnout issue.

We have a big dramatic Event season that's the culmination of everything fans did... and then we have a near-meaningless wacky season with effectively no fan participation because the blessings are such an obvious lock and the weather is as subtle as a brick.

And now they're like... soft closing things out, so that you can't really have a discussion, without admitting they just want to turn the Discord off? It's kinda like the last week plus this is basically trying to discourage actually participating in Blaseball, without wanting to not run it.

It feels like a month of siesta would have been enough to keep the server quiet if the Discord mods were being overwhelmed, but the combination of throwing out a meaningless season and near-shutting down the Discord server just leaves this Era ending with a kind of sad "sure, whatever, I guess" instead of with any excitement.

I ate an engineer
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The stat analysis actually showed this weather being very equalizing... it gave wins to bad teams and losses to good ones.

The sunbeams won in large part on 3 stacked buffs though. Only one they voted for en masse.

The looping playoffs were fun to me, but shouldn't be the case every season.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Only speaking for myself but this was a horrible season to try and start watching blaseball.

EDIT: Horrible might be a strong word. Difficult is probably more accurate.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I imagine the intent of the Grand Siesta is to restart things on a fresher, more accessible note

I just hope that fandom doesn't lose all momentum (though there seem to be a few meta events planned)

https://parkerclassaction.com/
    The Millenials and the Wild Wings are suing The Coin and The Commissioner

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Fandom's not gonna lose momentum. I know the Garages have a side server that's going to see an uptick in activity cause people will want to spin lore, talk, and in the Garages, continue our aggressive music output. The other teams likely will do something similar.

They've noted there will be other events to participate in, including the Parker Trial, and Daleween this Friday to kick things off. As to a return, I would prepare for the very real possibility of no new Blaseball until the New Year. This siesta is going to run over the holidays and I can't imagine everyone's going want to pile Blaseball on top of holiday stress (Personally, I wouldn't mind since I'm not going to be able to partake of my usual traditions this year, however, I'm definitely in the minority)

While there is merit in keeping things in one centralized place, even a Blaseball server without Blaseball is gonna be pretty wild. Mods are just pumping the brakes, and likely as time goes on, they'll thaw things out. This thing's been wildly successful beyond Game Band's wildest dreams, and with growth comes growing pains. Just gonna have to tough through this.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Magic explicitly voted against having a side server, which was a massive bummer for me.

I ate an engineer
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Garages has the advantage of having rad music outside of the game

Do the Garages listen to UK Garage?

I had asked the same question at one point, UK garage fuckin' rules

also the Crabitat side server is my favorite Blaseball thing and the fact that the term has been recently canonized in the Close The Book decree delights me

edited October 2020
    https://tsawac.itch.io/blaseball-team-affinity-quiz
    Our analysis indicates that your soul belongs to the
    🗣Canada Moist Talkers🗣
    Talk Spit, Get Hits
    Enthusiastically gross, the Moist Talkers are a mixture of Canadian politeness and slime-dripping cultic conspiracy. You know how there's a hungry squid god? They fed their (enthusiastically consenting, they assure us) star pitcher to it once just to see what would happen.
    Team Drama Starter Pack: optional. Pretend to care intensely about these pseudo-relationships, until they either become real or something happens to make you reassess your feelings.
    Your comrades in suffering are the Dallas Steaks.
    Your fiery rivalmance is with the Mexico City Wild Wings.
    The Hellmouth Sunbeams are your despised enemies.
    I'm a Dale fan lol

Crippl3 on
    Oh, I'm super late for this, but: It's Daleween!
    The Dale community is doing an all-night music playlist and party on the official discord, and also running a fundraiser for the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition.
    Here's the schedule, spoiler for big:
    ofR7gNe.jpg?1
    and just the music, if you don't want to hang out in the Discord:

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    🗣Canada Moist Talkers🗣
    Talk Spit, Get Hits
    Enthusiastically gross, the Moist Talkers are a mixture of Canadian politeness and slime-dripping cultic conspiracy. You know how there's a hungry squid god? They fed their (enthusiastically consenting, they assure us) star pitcher to it once just to see what would happen.
    Team Drama Starter Pack: optional. Pretend to care intensely about these pseudo-relationships, until they either become real or something happens to make you reassess your feelings.
    I'm a Dale fan lol
    q5hawwr31p4r.png
    hell yeah it does
    Your comrades in suffering are the Canada Moist Talkers.
    Your fiery rivalmance is with the Hellmouth Sunbeams.
    The Hawai'i Fridays are your despised enemies.
    Full results:
    8 Baltimore Crabs
    6 Houston Spies
    5 Canada Moist Talkers
    5 Hades Tigers
    4 Chicago Firefighters
    4 Hellmouth Sunbeams
    3 Charleston Shoe Thieves
    3 Kansas City Breath Mints
    2 New York Millennials
    1 San Francisco Lovers
    1 Tokyo Lift
    1 Philly Pies
    1 Unlimited Tacos
    1 Mexico City Wild Wings
    0 Breckenridge Jazz Hands
    0 Seattle Garages
    0 Yellowstone Magic
    0 Dallas Steaks
    -1 Boston Flowers
    -2 Hawai'i Fridays
    -3 Miami Dale

also the best thing to come out of that Dev Q&A was
    Tot Fox summoning the first black hole was a bug

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    🗣Canada Moist Talkers🗣
    Talk Spit, Get Hits
    I'm a Dale fan lol
    q5hawwr31p4r.png
    hell yeah it does
    Your comrades in suffering are the Canada Moist Talkers.
    Your fiery rivalmance is with the Hellmouth Sunbeams.
    The Hawai'i Fridays are your despised enemies.
    Full results:
    8 Baltimore Crabs
    6 Houston Spies
    5 Canada Moist Talkers
    5 Hades Tigers
    4 Chicago Firefighters
    4 Hellmouth Sunbeams
    3 Charleston Shoe Thieves
    3 Kansas City Breath Mints
    2 New York Millennials
    1 San Francisco Lovers
    1 Tokyo Lift
    1 Philly Pies
    1 Unlimited Tacos
    1 Mexico City Wild Wings
    0 Breckenridge Jazz Hands
    0 Seattle Garages
    0 Yellowstone Magic
    0 Dallas Steaks
    -1 Boston Flowers
    -2 Hawai'i Fridays
    -3 Miami Dale

I got the Crabs, as I suspected I would. I really like the Crabs whole thing but hearing that they are kind of the most popular team kind of repels my Boston-raised, hipster, underdog-romanticizing-ass. Also I am informed they already ascended. Not sure what to do with this info.
    🦀Baltimore Crabs🦀
    CLAWS UP
    The Crabs are brash, confident, numerous, jovial, scheming and - for most of their history - very good at blaseball. They were so good at blaseball, in fact, that they Ascended to the Big Leagues and no longer play Internet League Blaseball. Maybe they'll come back some day.
    Your comrades in suffering are the Philly Pies.
    Your fiery rivalmance is with the Dallas Steaks.
    The Chicago Firefighters are your despised enemies.
    Full results:
    5 Baltimore Crabs
    5 New York Millennials
    4 Philly Pies
    4 Hellmouth Sunbeams
    3 Canada Moist Talkers
    3 Dallas Steaks
    3 Mexico City Wild Wings
    2 Charleston Shoe Thieves
    2 Breckenridge Jazz Hands
    2 San Francisco Lovers
    2 Yellowstone Magic
    2 Houston Spies
    2 Unlimited Tacos
    2 Hades Tigers
    1 Miami Dale
    1 Seattle Garages
    1 Tokyo Lift
    0 Boston Flowers
    0 Kansas City Breath Mints
    0 Chicago Firefighters
    -3 Hawai'i Fridays

Blaseball is back baby!

For a four-week non-canon exhibition tournament that affects no standings!
    6czs9rwkgry51.jpg

With this lasting a month, Season 12 is definitely not coming until next year :(

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So does anyone have a rundown on the lawsuit? I tried to watch but ran out of steam around hour 3.

I noticed the commissioner account seems real different since though.

Lasbrook wrote: »
    So does anyone have a rundown on the lawsuit? I tried to watch but ran out of steam around hour 3.

I noticed the commissioner account seems real different since though.

yeah unfortunately the final act was pretty good but the pace got kinda thrown off in the middle due to a poorly communicated twist of the Reverb forcing the second trial into the middle of the first trial

lemme see if I can find a good recap

edited November 2020
    The Desert Bus show was amazing and the Desert Bus crew got very excited talking Blaseball with the Garages and Joel from The Game Band, so that was fun.

The trial was fun for the first part, but got bogged down around the part where all of SIBR was sworn in. Not asking for perfection, but might want to keep it a little tighter next time just for keeping up and keeping on schedule.

Or like, spread it out more (Cause everything in text RP always takes longer than you think it will)

As to the Coffee Cup tomorrow, I'm completely all over the place trying figure out who to rep. I'm not a coffee drinker, my favorite players are all over the different teams, and the guest teams aren't terribly compelling to me.

Like, glad for a bit of Blaseball back (Especially since I'm still forecasting no new seasons till January), weird way to do it though. But also if you're looking to hop on and try the game, this is the perfect way to do it!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    fwiw I talked to the folks who ran the Trial about it in a Discord I'm active on, and they seem to have a pretty clear idea about how to jump it from above a 6/10 showing

TL;DR - fewer people, tighter pacing, and fewer balls to juggle at once are already the plan for any future events of that type

Season 12 delayed until March 1st, more info in this IGN article: https://www.ign.com/articles/absurdist-baseball-simulator-blaseball-returns-next-month
    • New news feed keeps track of events in and around the game
    • We'll now have 3 weeks of seasons and then 2 weeks of off-season
    • Concessions, which somehow affect voting
    • Weekly team tarot readings
    • Wills, which allow team communities to organize and strategize things like decree/blessing votes in-game

edited February 2021
    Crabs are also
    [Redacted]

Mortal Sky on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Maybe now I can actually follow it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg

Blaseball will return
    March 1st @ 8am PST

The Commissioner of Blaseball is an entity that speaks for the Blaseball Dev Team

Who’s ready for delicious Convections concessions?

Hail Hydra
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    New season about to start

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Chorby Short at bat.
    unknown.png

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    A lot of cool changes. The shop being a thing you have to even think about now is cool. Like, I sold all my pitching idol related stuff and bought an apple to see advanced stats and shadows, but I’m thinking of replacing the apple with voting on wills or stadium renovations.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Stale Popcorn is new too and lets you earn coins on losses, which helps incentivize backing losing teams more.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Stale Popcorn is new too and lets you earn coins on losses, which helps incentivize backing losing teams more.

finally, it's Miami's turn to shine

I'm interesting to find out what the Tarot reading's going to entail.

And Parks aren't unlocked yet. So far as I'm aware, it's going to a story event that lets us access them.

Wills are looking to be a decent compromise on Blessings that allow us a bit more control over the team's direction with amount of guaranteed benefit.

Hail Hydra
    I cannot find where stadium renovations and flags are located.

I ate an engineer