As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Read a [book].

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »
    If I've only read Color of Magic and Guards! Guards! How many points does that earn me?

Boourns - Guards! Guards! is a good one. Not as good as Men At Arms or Night Watch or Feet of Clay, but still one of the good ones.

Oh no, it is a good one. But colour of magic is a -3

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Isn't that just horrifying? The idea that every other Discworld novel ever written depended on some publisher reading The Color Of Magic and saying "The guy who wrote Strata? Yeah, that book sucked out loud but fuck it, we'll give him another shot. Crude fantasy pastiche is definitely a growth sector. Run like 500 copies and we'll see what happens."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My first experience with Discworld was Colour of Magic. The second, many years later, was Reaper Man. The third and final, years after that, was one with intelligent rats? I didn't read much of it before becoming disinterested and setting it down.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This is not the subforum to discuss it at length but I think I am going to try to participate in National Novel Writing Month this year

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    This is not the subforum to discuss it at length but I think I am going to try to participate in National Novel Writing Month this year

Well you'll certainly beat GRRM at least

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Isn't there usually a nanowrimo thread here
    Or is that stuff all shunted to the writers forum now

• Options
    There is a thread here somewhere. I don't think anything happens in the Writers Block section

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

This is a pretty good idea...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Threads two years old at this point so I don't think it'd go amiss to make a new one here

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've idly tried it a couple times in past years and always quit after about 4 days, but for a while now I have actually been wanting to buckle down and write a book and I think this would be a good experience for it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I attempted it in my early twenties.

And I failed every year because Nov 1st happens to be the morning after Halloween and I was always too hungover to start writing anything.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I think I've won twice in the times I've done it.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I've tried three or four times and never gotten past the pitch. So that's fine. hahaha

In less "why I haven't written a best-selling novel" tidbits, I finished reading Dan Simmons's Hyperion today, and I really liked it. The reason I had added it to my too-read list ages ago was the frame-tale, Chaucer-esque conceit, and I thought it worked really well. I felt like the characters had enough of their own voices to sell the concept, and I particularly liked how they
    end up all pulling together to the moment of knowledge culminating with the Consul's admission that he started the device.

I'm torn now because I would like to know what happens next, but on the other hand, the ending was a beautiful moment. So.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I think most people agree that stopping at Hyperion is the right move.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    It just occurred to me how much of exo squad lined up with what I've heard about the expanse, and part of me giggles at the thought of a dark grown up remake

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Not really? Fall of Hyperion is still pretty great. Its after that that quality of the series really goes downhill.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

Not really? Fall of Hyperion is still pretty great. Its after that that quality of the series really goes downhill.

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion were written as one book and split up at publication because of length. The sequels are really lame.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Fall of Hyperion loses a little something compared to Hyperion because the Chaucerian conceit is finished, meaning Simmons reverts to a plain-Jane "just the facts, ma'am" prose style instead of flexing his (ample, glistening) stylistic muscles the way he did in the first book. There's a new POV character who narrates segments of the book in first person that could have been a vehicle for more stylistic experimentation, but...isn't, really.

The book also suffers from the fact that it felt like the story was approaching its climax at the end of Hyperion, so many of the twists and turns feel (at the time) like aimless running-around to stall having to write the end, like a movie with a very protracted third act.

On the plus side, however, Fall of Hyperion drastically expands the scope of the story and gives us lots and lots more of Simmons' genuinely interesting and inventive worldbuilding. It lays out the stakes of the central conflicts more clearly, and preserves and develops the interesting relationships and rivalries among the core cast that are the heart of the book. All (or at least most) of what at first feels like seemingly aimless running-around does end up having a point as the various threads get drawn together for a climax that matches the heights of the first book for trippy, apocalyptic imagery and incandescent action and which is, I am happy to say, ultimately pretty satisfying.

The two subsequent books are pretty lame, but they take place hundreds of years in the future and mainly address a few lingering questions about the world (badly). You're not missing anything by skipping them.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah my only problem with Fall of Hyperion was how disappointed I initially was to find out it existed, not having any further books would have made Hyperion's ending just perfect. But it wasn't bad at all once I got over that and actually read it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I would say you’re missing one thing by skipping the endymion books. The single most horrifying take on high speed space travel I’ve ever seen described.
    Travelling so fast it pulps the human body, from which they are regenerated on arrival.

Ard on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Hm. Well what I may do is just put Fall of Hyperion off for a bit so it won’t tarnish the shine of that lovely Chaucerian conceit, and hit it later with a bit of freshness. I will skip the other two for sure.

Thanks!

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Honestly I love the latter two books, but I know I'm generally in the minority on that one.

Raul is a pretty shit character and there are questionable authorial decisions everywhere you look...but I still love them anyway.

There's just too much cool shit in those second two books for me to hate them. Nostalgia probably helps, I read them pretty young.

• Options
    I walked past a second hand bookstore and *five minutes of static* suddenly I was holding a book of Camus' essays, something by michael Lewis, and a travel memoir from a guy who spent two decades wandering around the Congo

So I guess my book pile just got bigger.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Every month is NaNoWriMo in the King household.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sanderson just finished Dawnshard, couple of days for proof reading, copy editing etc, then it'll be ready, seems like they're expecting sometime next week to send the ebook out to kickstarter folks

Kanden on
  • Options
    I could never read a Stormlight book on e-reader. I need to feel the weight of that tome, enough to bludgeon even the most obstinate of future corpses

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Sanderson just finished Dawnshard, couple of days for proof reading, copy editing etc, then it'll be ready, seems like they're expecting sometime next week to send the ebook out to kickstarter folks

Woop!

On the sad side, I got my Bridge 4 poster from the Kickstarter, immediately turned around and mailed it to Zoe and the post office promptly lost it. Or perhaps it's on a magical whirlwind journey around the nation.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I read the Stormlight books via audiobook format and they're the absolute best. I've been on a Sanderson kick since I read Elantris last year and have read all three Stormlight books (I haven't gotten Arcanum Unbounded yet) but I have a signed first edition of Oathbringer.

I went on to read the first two Mistborn books (starting Hero of Ages tonight), Skyward and Starsight.

Anyways, big fan and I'm 90% sure my friend regrets recommending Elantris because he hasn't read any other Sanderson and I talk about it.

In between I read the Broken Earth trilogy, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (imagine string theory explained to you by a frat guy and you're halfway there; beachread. Crichton without a floor) and I've been keeping up with King, outside of If It Bleeds.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The audiobooks are super great, I don't know if you're into pre-reading some, but Tor has actually been uploading chapters of Rhythm of War each week and Brandon started uploading audiobook versions of those released chapters on his YouTube channel. There's some really interesting stuff in the released chapters so far, especially if you're fully on board the Cosmere.

Oh, also absolutely fast track Warbreaker, its already important for Stormlight and Rhythm of War seems to be just ratcheting that up more and more.

Kanden on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Rereading the Acts of Caine books by Matthew Stover for October.
    It is kinda insane how different all the books are from one another, not just in content but also in style. Book one is a hyperviolence reality show fantasy entertainment, but also about a man desperately trying to save what he loves and be a better person, centered around that character. Book two is a huge multiple character jumping adventure, about manifest destiny, capitalism, cost of vengeance, and exactly how much you can take from a person to break him. Caine Black Knife is a straight bone crunching first person adventure. And then Caine's Law. Man, I don't even have the words to describe Caine's Law. Its about horses, love, loss, time travel, and spitting in the eye of god, all going maximum bad.
    Forgiveness and Permission.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I loved Heroes Die, glad to hear the rest of the series maintains the quality. I’m gonna have to get to that soon.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh Gods you have no idea.
    Blade of Tyshalle is a masterclass on how to break down your protagonist until there is nothing left in him.

And Caines Law is one of the few "grimdark" fantasy novels that I've encountered that has a rape that is handled both as tastefully as possible, is absolutely heart rending, and manages to keep the entire focal point on the survivor rather than anyone else.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Blade of Tyshalle is in my top 5 favourite fantasy novels ever read.

I will never stop hating this cruel world for the fact that Stover is not as popular as he deserves.

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Blade of Tyshalle is in my top 5 favourite fantasy novels ever read.

I will never stop hating this cruel world for the fact that Stover is not as popular as he deserves.

I've been saying that his books are RIPE for a new streaming fantasy series.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I must say Stephen King coming out to say that he's prolifoc because he is shameless is like George Lucas coming out to say he kept fiddling with Star Wars because he's neurotic, like, yeah? We can tell! You're an open book buddy! As it were!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    that was a clickhole article

I mean, it's true, and also I think King himself would be the first to agree with it because he seems like a genuinely cool dude who's pretty in touch with his own motives and limitations, but

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I burned through Harrow the Ninth over the weekend and I haven't been that irritated with a book in a long time. It's my own fault for not doing a quick review of Gideon the Ninth before I started it and she hella sticks the landing and it's a great last hundred pages but boy I spent the first long bit just annoyed and confused.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah, I ended up really liking Harrow the Ninth but it takes way too long to actually get going. I respect that she was willing to take such a risk but I don't think it works in that case.

This discussion has been closed.