As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Identity theft is no laughing matter, JimPantsB!

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Probably one of worst nights sleep we've had in a long time.

He's developed yet another chesty cough which makes him like or just lie there for an hour coughing loudly.

It's never fucking ends!

I'm so tired.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Probably one of worst nights sleep we've had in a long time.

He's developed yet another chesty cough which makes him like or just lie there for an hour coughing loudly.

It's never fucking ends!

I'm so tired.

I'm sorry, that sounds awful.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

That number always seems wrong. I hadn't even reconciled to having a 7 year old yet, and now that's been a whole damn year of that already and we're going on to the next one?!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    @lonelyahava did you ever figure out how to teach your kid how to take their shirt off? We've been trying to teach Sapling, and she's sort of settled on holding the end of one sleeve, and pulling her arm out, but she always pulls kind of up, stretching out her shirt, and I've heard seams popping on a couple of her shirts... If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to advice.

Also, local sports team is about to win their sportsball game, which means a bunch of fireworks, which Sapling is terrified of, so I'm going to have to go back and console her because it's bed time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    @lonelyahava did you ever figure out how to teach your kid how to take their shirt off? We've been trying to teach Sapling, and she's sort of settled on holding the end of one sleeve, and pulling her arm out, but she always pulls kind of up, stretching out her shirt, and I've heard seams popping on a couple of her shirts... If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to advice.

Also, local sports team is about to win their sportsball game, which means a bunch of fireworks, which Sapling is terrified of, so I'm going to have to go back and console her because it's bed time.
    Have you tried the "cross your arms in front of you, grab the hem of your shirt and pull up over your head" technique?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't think I ever figured it out. I think that was another one that was farmed it to daycare and peers. She still struggles at times, but that's because she's still trying to fit into her size two shirts.

It's a huge relief when your kids chosen friends have parents that you can also respect.

We all got together today at s park for a BBQ thing for labor Day weekend. And of course there was talk about the upcoming us election, but also our election.

It's just so very satisfying knowing that your soon to be family friends all share roughly your same values. From what it sounded, we all voted for the same people. We're all ecstatic at the LGBTQ+ representation in parliament. And we were all talking about how to teach the kids not only that there's no such thing as "girl colours" or "boy colours", but also how to have the conversations around correct pronouns, and bodily consent, and how to be mindful of it.

About how we're doing Halloween at our house as our big "family" gathering because every childhood deserves one of those big fun decorate the house, but Christmas isn't an option and Hanukkah just isn't that type of holiday.

It was so very refreshing to not need to edit myself in talking about these things. I'm even now kind of blown away.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »

Have you tried the "cross your arms in front of you, grab the hem of your shirt and pull up over your head" technique?

I worked with Kate with the cross your arms method. I think we tried a few others. Basically it all boiled down to, her trying, Daddy helping a bit, and doing it every night before bed time. Then one day she’s running around the house shirtless because she’s hot. And that’s how I found out she finally learned how to take her shirt off.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    When Toby takes off a shirt he looks roughly like a cat trying to get out of a restraint, but he still does it, so I'm cool with it. He's also a pro at getting a new shirt on, as well as pants, socks (though 50% of the time all of this is backwards or in the case of the socks, upside down), and shoes. All of which he can do within maybe a minute, swear to god. 60 seconds and this kid can totally change his outfit, have his shoes on, and be looking around like "so, where are we goin' guys?"

He's still not eating solid food per se, but he's learned what "having seconds" means as a concept so now we're stuck on varieties of applesauce and some whey protein. It's working while we're trying somewhat blended food. He likes strawberry, that much I think is settled. He even tried strawberry yogurt and though he didn't really like it, he also didn't reject the taste he had, and he didn't shudder in revulsion. Which is a lot for him and yogurt. Basically, if he does a literal full body shudder after eating something, even if it goes down, I'm taking that as a warning sign because it almost assuredly means that more of that same thing is going to trigger everything coming back up, always has.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugh...

My oldest turns 12 today

12!!!!!

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I mean, she certainly gets the shirt off, I'm just trying to find a less destructive option.

Brody on

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    No child, you cannot do the thing.

"Daddy, I did the thing"

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My son has gone out to the kitchen, and I hear him getting out a spoon and a plastic dish (probably a bowl)

"Toby, if you need help you need to let us know." I say, as I have many times before. I want to encourage him to talk more, after all.

The fridge door opens, I can picture him staring up at the jar of applesauce on the highest shelf.

From the kitchen, a little voice squeaks, "Hep. Hep? Hep."

Yes, buddy, that's what I needed to hear. "I'll be right there, little dude." I say.

When I get there, he smiles and holds his hands in the air in a clear bid to be picked up. If he had a step-ladder or a sufficiently high chair, he'd not even ask for my help. He instantly reaches for the jar the moment he's up in my arms and, having obtained it, holds it in both hands like some priceless treasure and smiles at me.

It's good to be a dad.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I see lots of references to feeding kids applesauce in this thread. Is that the American term for apple compote? Where you basically just throw apples in a pan and they form a delicious sludge?

In the UK applesauce is something served with roast pork

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Applesauce here is just mushed apples.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    My son has gone out to the kitchen, and I hear him getting out a spoon and a plastic dish (probably a bowl)

"Toby, if you need help you need to let us know." I say, as I have many times before. I want to encourage him to talk more, after all.

The fridge door opens, I can picture him staring up at the jar of applesauce on the highest shelf.

From the kitchen, a little voice squeaks, "Hep. Hep? Hep."

Yes, buddy, that's what I needed to hear. "I'll be right there, little dude." I say.

When I get there, he smiles and holds his hands in the air in a clear bid to be picked up. If he had a step-ladder or a sufficiently high chair, he'd not even ask for my help. He instantly reaches for the jar the moment he's up in my arms and, having obtained it, holds it in both hands like some priceless treasure and smiles at me.

It's good to be a dad.

I think I've been a parent for far too long, since I thought that story was going to end with him dropping the jar. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I see lots of references to feeding kids applesauce in this thread. Is that the American term for apple compote? Where you basically just throw apples in a pan and they form a delicious sludge?

In the UK applesauce is something served with roast pork

applesauce-jar-24oz.png

Applesauce.

Which that one is made of "Apples, Water, Apple Juice concentrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)."

So yes, it's the former as far as I can tell? Cooked down apples. It's got a bit of texture, but it's not specifically "chunky" in most cases. It's kind of a step up from what our kid used to eat which was baby puree. It seems to be related to the texture? Regardless, I think your mental picture should probably be the first one, I think. We just aren't cooking down the apples themselves? Hoping this helps.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Blended-up apples (usually finely-blended, but occasionally chunky), occasionally with other things added (cinnamon, apple juice, other fruit, sugar if you get the bad stuff, etc.).

Good by itself, or with chicken nuggets or pork dipped in it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Or on Graham crackers or ginger nuts/snaps.

Or used as an egg substitute for baking.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I remember making applesauce when I was a kid once. I don't remember any cooking. We had a big sieve sort of deal, but it was very cone shaped, and a wooden pestle thingy, and you peeled/cored the apples, then squished them through the sieve.

Edit: like this!!!
    Edit edit: fuck pinterest. It's a vintage potato ricer.

Brody on

• Options
    every year mom makes apple butter.

so every year we make apple sauce. bushels of apples to peel and slice, into a big pot with just a little water. and then you cook them. forever.

if you want the sauce to have some body to it, you leave the skins on, as they give off some pectin. but then you need to put the sauce through a food mill to get the sauce away from the peels. sauce. funny word now.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yep, sounds like what we call compote or purée. That makes much more sense. Initially I was picturing an actual sauce, like some kind of gravy with apples

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Having a kid was the first time I really looked into all the different kinds of, lets say, deconstructed apple. Here there are at least three kinds that are actually legally different. There's compote, which isn't puréed and has chunks, purée/mush which has at least 16.5% sugar and can have other ingredients, and pulp (the German word for it is Mark which literally means marrow) which is pure puréed apple.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The new Bluey episodes have been pretty great.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think cinema fell a bit flat.
    Might have to redo that with Squad Cat the movie.

But they've been otherwise excellent.

discrider on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    oh hey guys my daughter was born back on Saturday

just chiming in here at 4am to say fuck breastfeeding none of this is any kind of sane or fair
    just lets stress out because milk isn't coming fast enough, the kid can't seem to get it even if it's there, my wife is already in enough pain but here's some bonus pain for you, and the little I can do to help seems nowhere near enough

so tired and I've never wanted to see poop and pee filled diapers so badly

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Yeah that shit sucks.

There's not much we can say but if you haven't got any lanolin, get some lanolin.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Having a kid was the first time I really looked into all the different kinds of, lets say, deconstructed apple. Here there are at least three kinds that are actually legally different. There's compote, which isn't puréed and has chunks, purée/mush which has at least 16.5% sugar and can have other ingredients, and pulp (the German word for it is Mark which literally means marrow) which is pure puréed apple.

France loves adding sugar to baby purées. It's so weird. In the UK everything is, reported as, 100% fruit and vegetables

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yep, sounds like what we call compote or purée. That makes much more sense. Initially I was picturing an actual sauce, like some kind of gravy with apples

I don't know if this is a more general difference or one that's specific to my situation at the time, but when I went to pastry school (a school owned and run by French pastry chefs) apple compote was not the same thing as applesauce. Typical jarred applesauce in the US has a much higher water content. The apple compote that would be used in some recipes was much thicker and more flavorful. If you were making something at home and didn't have proper apple compote or the time or inclination to make some, then the general guideline was to take some applesauce, add cinnamon, and reduce it down by 50% or more.

Ketar on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    When my babies were born, I just went with combo feeding for my sanity at the beginning. If nursing worked out, then we'd use less formula. Ended up nearly 50/50 with my two youngest. But I was fine with any combination, as long as they were fed.
    But yeah, wouldn't have even made it as far as I did without lanolin. It gets... rather painful

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Also, just so its clear, if you have to switch to bottle/formula, no one has failed. Our daughter was exclusively bottle fed because she was incapable of breast feeding, and she is doing fine.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Also, just so its clear, if you have to switch to bottle/formula, no one has failed. Our daughter was exclusively bottle fed because she was incapable of breast feeding, and she is doing fine.

Yup same here

Except my wife kept pumping for four months and barely managed to get it flowing by the end of that, and was miserable the whole time. She says that it's gonna be bottles from the start of we have a second kid.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's a weird roll of the dice, near as I can tell. My first kid couldn't get the hang of breastfeeding and was bottle/formula fed and she's completely fine, my second kid breastfed like a champ until a little after age 2 and is also completely fine, no idea why.

I do want to give a quick shout down to the "breast is best" guilt that gets pumped into expecting moms because sure, breast is best, but the level of guilt and failure my wife felt about not being able to breastfeed my daughter was crushing for her and heartbreaking for me and it still makes me angry to think about.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Yeah those Breast is Best people are a nightmare.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Fed is best. However you manage it.

Also, mazel Tov, @Aioua !!! Welcome to the madness! We're going to love having you here. Feel no shame at all in asking questions, venting frustration, or just screaming into the void. We've all been there, we can help, or just listen, whatever you need.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Thanks all.

good thing she's so gosh darn cute
    jgn14xha7jnz.jpg

And yeah we decided we're gonna at least pick some formula up for now while we're still working on feeding.

We at least have no problems with her enthusiasm when it comes to trying to latch, so we're not worried about her deciding breasts are boring. She'll chomp down on basically anything you put into her mouth.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Ellie's mouth was too small, my nipples too large. I had a spinal headache from the epidural and couldn't look down to help her latch. I never got much milk at all either.

Also omg what a cutie.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My wife breast fed my oldest until she got mastitis and it dried up.

Morgan was in the NICU for 12 days and was bottle fed in there so we just kept going with it but her breast milk dried up relatively quickly.

Owen was breast fed the longest.

So in 15 years or so I’ll let you know how the three different outcomes work out.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My first started on a formula / breast milk diet, but preferred formula and over time just stopped drinking breast milk when offered.

My second definitely preferred breast, and over time started refusing formula.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In addition to lanolin, my wife also goes through a bunch of multi-mam compresses everytime the little one has a bitey phase. They seem to help