As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The demand for the 4a kinda sparked the craze for the line though. The 3a got a lot of good buzz and at my store we've consistently sold through all the A's that came in.

I think it sucks as a fan of the 3XL and wasn't a fan of the direction for the 4XL. I think google took the wrong lesson from the 4's somewhat fumbled launch. Crappy face ID, no finger print, to me the 4 felt like a stepdown if anything.

Anyways I got the 4a as a stand in while figuring out what to do next and it's actually awesome. It films in 4K well enough for my needs and I actually like having a one handed phone again. In the end I may end up liking the new direction for the Pixel line.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Crappy face ID
    The face unlock works amazing. The downsides are basically COVID-19 and app support, and it is pretty trivial to add BiometricPrompt support to address the latter while supporting devices on older versions of Android (Google already did the work for you there).

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    I'm trying to figure out what the performance ramifications are for going from a pixel 2 to a pixel 5. I haven't ever used a mid-range snapdragon that I can remember, so while the 5 is obviously newer and I'm sure plenty fancy, I'm assuming there's still some QoL issues that will come up?

I really don't want to have to buy a non-stock-android phone.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Crappy face ID
    The face unlock works amazing. The downsides are basically COVID-19 and app support, and it is pretty trivial to add BiometricPrompt support to address the latter while supporting devices on older versions of Android (Google already did the work for you there).

I suppose I should rephrase, I think all face unlock is crappy. Something nice and tactile about the fingerprint sensor, and I'm not accidentally unlocking it just at a glance when I'm checking the time or whatever

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what the performance ramifications are for going from a pixel 2 to a pixel 5. I haven't ever used a mid-range snapdragon that I can remember, so while the 5 is obviously newer and I'm sure plenty fancy, I'm assuming there's still some QoL issues that will come up?

I haven't run into any issues from going from the 2 to a 4a, FWIW. But it'll depend on your use cases of course. I don't run any heavy graphical games or anything like that.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2020
    Naphtali wrote: »

I haven't run into any issues from going from the 2 to a 4a, FWIW. But it'll depend on your use cases of course. I don't run any heavy graphical games or anything like that.
    I used to play a lot of phone games, but I have pretty much stopped doing that. Really I just want it to boot up fast, not fucking stutter all the time while using a browser or slack/discord, and be smooth with Android Auto

zerzhul on
  • Options

I used to play a lot of phone games, but I have pretty much stopped doing that. Really I just want it to boot up fast, not fucking stutter all the time while using a browser or slack/discord, and be smooth with Android Auto

Haven't had a single stutter in any of those use cases with the 4a, so I think you'll be solid with the 5.

• Options

You should be good with the 5, then. The 765G mainly took a hit on the GPU-side like most of Qualcomm's mid-range SoCs, its single-core performance is much better than the 835 in your Pixel 2 (it also beats the Pixel 3), multi-core is slightly behind the 845 in the Pixel 3.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Google Fi is now offering a subscription plan for a 4a with device protection for $15 a month for 2 years. I'm really tempted even though my Oneplus 5T is still totally fine for my needs. Granted it'll never get Android 11 and likely no more security updates, but it still does everything I need it to.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So with Google forcibly shutting down usability of Play Music, I find all the music on my phone that I purchased DRM-free and transferred onto my Android phone from my computer with a USB cord to be inaccessible.

Please help me get a new app to listen to my music. I don't care about it doing podcasts or music streaming.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So with Google forcibly shutting down usability of Play Music, I find all the music on my phone that I purchased DRM-free and transferred onto my Android phone from my computer with a USB cord to be inaccessible.

Please help me get a new app to listen to my music. I don't care about it doing podcasts or music streaming.

The 7digital music store says you can import non store music purchases. Might be worth checking out

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    However long ago it was I'd inquired in some thread or another about a music app that can do album shuffle and was recommended Poweramp. It's been doing the thing well enough that I am still using it, but I am also not the pickiest when it comes to phone stuff.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    DoubleTwist is also alright (I feel like they kind of suck on album art recognition), but it's decent for actually playing music and has lots of extra features you could buy a la cart but the base app itself is free.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So here's a really odd and specific question if anyone has any ideas. I've got a Pixel 4 XL, and certain apps (Hulu and a game called Space Arena) are acting weirdly slow, but only when on wifi.

Hulu will take 40-90 seconds to load past the splash page on wifi, it takes about about 2 seconds on LTE. Happens on both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. My internet is 1gb AT&T fiber and generally lightning fast for everything else connected to it via wifi (my PC on 5ghz). My wife's iPhone will load Hulu up instantly on the same wifi, and Hulu on browser on my PC is also instant. Phone is otherwise very fast, just those two apps for some reason can't connect right and take forever to load. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared data storage, rebooted the phone, pretty much everything short of a factory reset. This is the oddest bug. I was thinking maybe a DNS issue, but my router is set to use Google's public 8.8.8.8 DNS.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    However long ago it was I'd inquired in some thread or another about a music app that can do album shuffle and was recommended Poweramp. It's been doing the thing well enough that I am still using it, but I am also not the pickiest when it comes to phone stuff.

It was probably me that suggested it. It had a pretty big overhaul a year or two ago and most of my nitpicks were fixed so I'm still using it.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

It was probably me that suggested it. It had a pretty big overhaul a year or two ago and most of my nitpicks were fixed so I'm still using it.

Just gave PowerAmp a try myself, seems very slick at a glance. The UI takes a bit to get used to but the on screen help is very detailed at least.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I take back the nice things I said about PowerAmp. Well, some of it. It seems to just want to ignore my car's bluetooth controls for it's own weird variant of them and I don't see any option to change them specifically... so track forward works. Track backward sometimes works... and sometimes skips ahead 2 tracks?

Also I thought I was playing from the track queue I made, but once the queue finished it somehow dumped back into a different album (that I had added to the queue) and stopped playing the rest of the queue? Really weird behavior here. I don't know. I feel like getting to what's actually playing track list wise is quite awkward in its UI.

edit: I think I found the issue? There's a Poweramp level option to not make the back button go back a track (or reset the track on first push) in the Look & Feel section. Weird but hope that fixes it.

edit the second: Yeah, that fixed it. Okay, no issues with this now. Strange it isn't the default behavior and you have to dig around for it, but whatever.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Recent Android update added a whole host of changes for listening to music/podcasts. The Spotify app still doesn't play nice with it all the time. I blame Google more than the app devs but I'm sure they were notified somehow that it was coming.

• Options
    I blame Google for not having a god damn working stock music playing application anymore. They couldn't just spin Play Music's normal functionality into it's own app instead of the trashfire that is YouTube Music?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    the trashfire that is YouTube Music
    Could you tell me a bit more about this? I've used the web version for something like a month, and it's been pretty much indistinguishable from Google Music (for me), but I've only used the Android player a tiny bit, so haven't been exposed to any issues.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    the trashfire that is YouTube Music
    Could you tell me a bit more about this? I've used the web version for something like a month, and it's been pretty much indistinguishable from Google Music (for me), but I've only used the Android player a tiny bit, so haven't been exposed to any issues.

Okay so, trying to use the app (this is roughly 3 weeks ago) without creating a YT account results in the app being unable to even find local music on the device. It just sits spinning its gears forever. And I do have a YT account, tied to my gmail, but because I never merged it with Google+ back in the day, it is incompatible with the YT Music app. I found that out when I tried to set up YT Music using the transfer function from Play Music.

• Options
    Oh! Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about using YouTube Music as a player for local, offline music - I haven't even tried to use it that way. Yeah, that sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.

• Options
    I imagine they'll eventually work out whatever issues it has, but it's a real bad look IMO.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I havent tried to use Youtube Music to listen to local music (yet), but I did transfer my library from Play Music to YT Music and let me tell you accessing songs I own is kind of a pain in the ass. I'm not paying for it so I only want to use whats in my uploaded library, but searching only gives me stuff I have to stream/pay for. I dont like it.

• Options
    Is the stuff you watch/listen to in YT Music still intermingled with your YouTube history?

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I jumped to Spotify when Google Play Music went away (well, a few months ago, really). Biggest factor was YT Music didn't have a WearOS app.

In fact, I dropped WearOS all together. It's basically abandonware to me now. Like why do I got to factory reset my watch when I get a new phone?

My Garmin Watch is treating me much nicer. Well, except it doesn't like my Jaybird earphones lol

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I've been using Pulsar+ (the one-time paid version of Pulsar). Terrible name, very good player. Works good with Car Bluetooth (and the extremely simplistic info display/navigation buttons on my Honda Civic).

That being said, I also have never purchased music from Google--I use MusicBee to sync all my music from PC (wirelessly, which means my Android phone now has the functionality of a Zune player from more than a decade ago).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MusicBee can sync files to devices? I didn't even know that; I'll have to check that out.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I take back the nice things I said about PowerAmp. Well, some of it. It seems to just want to ignore my car's bluetooth controls for it's own weird variant of them and I don't see any option to change them specifically... so track forward works. Track backward sometimes works... and sometimes skips ahead 2 tracks?

Also I thought I was playing from the track queue I made, but once the queue finished it somehow dumped back into a different album (that I had added to the queue) and stopped playing the rest of the queue? Really weird behavior here. I don't know. I feel like getting to what's actually playing track list wise is quite awkward in its UI.

edit: I think I found the issue? There's a Poweramp level option to not make the back button go back a track (or reset the track on first push) in the Look & Feel section. Weird but hope that fixes it.

edit the second: Yeah, that fixed it. Okay, no issues with this now. Strange it isn't the default behavior and you have to dig around for it, but whatever.

There are a lot of customizable options in the app. You can change how adding stuff to queue behaves as well. The issue you have with the queue unpredictability might be fixed there or on the shuffle options which are a bit confusing but pretty powerful.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The hell is this new Gmail icon? I guess it fits the new branding for all their other apps but I was not ready for that change, especially given I first saw the wire frame version they're using in notifications

Carpy on
  • Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    The hell is this new Gmail icon? I guess it fits the new branding for all their other apps but I was not ready for that change, especially given I first saw the wire frame version they're using in notifications

A few weeks ago they changed the color of the Messenger icon and I couldn't find it for a whole day

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Ahh what the fuck?? Mine just updated when I was looking at the phone.

Thanks I hate it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I feel like an old man yelling at clouds but fuck I hate the new icons.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    MusicBee can sync files to devices? I didn't even know that; I'll have to check that out.

It requires a MusicBee syncing app on your phone in turn, but that's not surprising. More surprising maybe is that there is no MusicBee player for Android, as far as I know, which would be a nice level of integration potentially.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've had a few Google Drive notifications on the last couple of days, Russian spammers it would seem. Ones like this:
    Here's the pull-down notification on the home screen:

ya72hlhioy0j.png

And here's the notifications in the Drive app:

k7m0cku1ymvs.png

I found this thread on Google Support, with hundreds of comments over the last few days: https://support.google.com/drive/thread/75341417?hl=en

So clearly this is a thing, but as far as I can tell it's "just" a vector to provide a malicious link to click on in the body of the file? Anyway, changed my Google password, and ran malware/virus scans (nothing found). That hasn't stopped them coming in, of course.

Anyone else had any of these?

Jazz on
  • Options
    It's the new version of the "calendar invite" attack, I guess

I haven't gotten them yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

• Options
    I got one a couple of weeks ago. It was certainly a bit of a surprise.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So here's a really odd and specific question if anyone has any ideas. I've got a Pixel 4 XL, and certain apps (Hulu and a game called Space Arena) are acting weirdly slow, but only when on wifi.

Hulu will take 40-90 seconds to load past the splash page on wifi, it takes about about 2 seconds on LTE. Happens on both my 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. My internet is 1gb AT&T fiber and generally lightning fast for everything else connected to it via wifi (my PC on 5ghz). My wife's iPhone will load Hulu up instantly on the same wifi, and Hulu on browser on my PC is also instant. Phone is otherwise very fast, just those two apps for some reason can't connect right and take forever to load. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared data storage, rebooted the phone, pretty much everything short of a factory reset. This is the oddest bug. I was thinking maybe a DNS issue, but my router is set to use Google's public 8.8.8.8 DNS.

Figured out my problem if anyone else every has an issue like this with their Android device. Apparently Android has a pretty shitty IPV6 implementation. My router was set to SLAAC (stateless) IPV6 generation, which apparently interferes with certain apps if they only use IPV4. Switching my router to stateful DHCPv6 fixed everything.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Good to know. IPv6 seems pretty broken across a lot of devices. I almost always turn it off in printers when I set them up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So the new Google icons were designed by children right? Yeesh.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion