As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    ...no pressure, though :heartbeat:

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Calica please for the love of god save us

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Hey job thread, I could use some advice. Spoilered for long and self-indulgent.
    I got laid off three weeks ago, and I've been using the time since then to 1) decompress and 2) think about what I actually want to do with my life.

I have ADHD, and for me it manifests mostly as executive dysfunction: problems with motivation, initiating tasks, and sustaining effort. I can't muster sufficient enthusiasm to do intellectual work for a job I don't care about. (I can do menial/rote work, no problem, and be very content doing it; but that doesn't pay enough to make rent.) This leads to a guilt/anxiety spiral that slowly erodes my ability to function at all - as in, I eventually start losing weight because it's too much effort to feed myself, because I'm crushed under the guilt resulting from a crippling inability to do work for an employer I don't care about, and it consumes all my mental/emotional resources.

The thing that keeps coming up for me in introspection is how most of the spaces in which people live and work are ugly, badly-designed, and actually kind of suck for human habitation. Every now and then you see cool design concepts or ideas; but if they even get built, they are reserved for people with wealth and privilege. I think my dream job would be helping to bring beautiful, human-centric design into the lives of average and underprivileged people; but I don't know where to even start looking for something like that.

Other themes include technology that works with nature, integrating nature into everyday life, and just generally working on solutions for a future that is good for humans and for ecosystems and in which daily contact with nature/greenspace is just an assumed part of everyone's lives, not just the privileged.

My skillset is in software development, and I'm good at it, if I do say so myself. I like it and have no particular desire to switch fields. I'm not against going back to school, but the risk/benefit analysis would have to be at least somewhat favorable.

I learn quickly and I love exploring ways of combining software/electronics with physical objects and materials to make magic, for lack of a more descriptive term.

Do attainable jobs exist doing this kind of work, or am I asking for a unicorn?

Design these spaces as prefabs that can be manufactured en masse and dropped into a corner of any room with enough space once purchased.

Call them "Fab Prefabs"

Call your company Fabulous Prefabrications, Inc.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Calica sounds like your skillset and interests might intersect at developing design software for architects, landscapers, etc, and/or using your tech know-how to help designers create those kind of spaces for the general populace? If so, or if you think that's at all something worth exploring, PM me - I can go into more detail.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Either that or Smart City stuff. That's an area that's underserved in my opinion.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's amazing how many people say they can't breath with a mask on and then I put them mask on them and they keep breathing.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people say they can't breath with a mask on and then I put them mask on them and they keep breathing.

Is it a little bit harder to breath? Sure. Is it uncomfortable? Over a long enough time, sure.

Is it a big deal? No.

I wish people would just keep their goddamn masks on.

• Options
    In the past 2 days I've had to tell 3 people they had to wear a mask, no exceptions. One was a crazy woman covid denier bringing in her daughter, who she didn't have custody of (her social worker told me) she stormed out and said she was going to Texas. The second was a woman in respiratory distress who did need to be seen immediately, but only after I told her no mask, no entry. And the final one today was a dude who was shot in the head who could talk to me and say he couldn't breath with it. I proved him wrong.

Our mask policy is strict.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    People are such fuckin' babies. Put on the mask, you whiny dipshits.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Strict is one thing but shooting people in the head over it seems a little extreme

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well he put on the mask, didn't he?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I think WA is still doing well, but the whole national/global uptick of cases is really fucking with my head. I'm more exposed than teachers.

• Options
    My personal policy is any time I hear complaints about masks I mentally swap in the word "pants" instead because that's exactly how ridiculous they sound.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man, its cool you can be shot in the head and also still be an obstinate butt

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well are gloves needed as well
    https://youtu.be/A0UkbPN52YE

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Is it a little bit harder to breath? Sure. Is it uncomfortable? Over a long enough time, sure.

Is it a big deal? No.

I wish people would just keep their goddamn masks on.

It is more uncomfortable to breathe yes. But it isn’t harder to breathe.

Like no one is exhausted at the end of the day due to the lack of air.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I mean, I've had my moments where it's harder to breathe with a mask on. Usually after climbing one of the larger hills around here that put me out of breath in normal times. I usually just step to the side, take off my mask if no one is around, and put it back on when I set off again after catching my breath.
    But since I don't get winded in normal circumstances, it usually doesn't affect me.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

With the majority of assault cases I see here I tend to sympathize with the perpetrator.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

With the majority of assault cases I see here I tend to sympathize with the perpetrator.

He had it coming, he had it coming
    He only had himself to blame

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I think the only reason the mask is uncomfortable for me is I become aware of my own breathing, so I start to adjust it myself rather than just letting myself breathe naturally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Masks make my glasses fog up but I can't really see without the glasses so I try half balancing on the middle of my nose to stop the fogging, which makes my glasses slip off as I walk. It's annoying as fuck.

Yet I STILL wear masks every time I go out because I'm not a goddamn baby.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited October 2020

He had it coming, he had it coming
    He only had himself to blame

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure both parties are assholes and the assaulter is the bigger one, but he's not the one I have to deal with.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Masks make my glasses fog up but I can't really see without the glasses so I try half balancing on the middle of my nose to stop the fogging, which makes my glasses slip off as I walk. It's annoying as fuck.

Paper tape across the top helps a lot with this.

TheStig on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Clean your glasses with dish soap before heading out. I keep forgetting it, but it really helps.

*E auto correct motherfffff

Aldo on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Clean your glasses with fish soap before heading out. I keep forgetting it, but it really helps.

The hell is fish soap

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Clean your glasses with fish soap before heading out. I keep forgetting it, but it really helps.

The hell is fish soap

It’s soap you use for washing your autocorrect function

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Fuck. * Dish soap

I hate phone typing, but I'm chilling in the couch so nyurrrr.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

The hell is fish soap

I thought it was the soap fish used.

• Options
    The soap is a lye

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

The hell is fish soap

I thought it was the soap fish used.

Wait, I thought that was just sponges.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Clean your glasses with dish soap before heading out. I keep forgetting it, but it really helps.

Also make sure to bend the wire at the base of the sides of the nose too, not just over the bridge.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Also make sure to bend the wire at the base of the sides of the nose too, not just over the bridge.

All that said, some masks, or just the wire inside, just suck and won't seal properly and fog up your glasses

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

All that said, some masks, or just the wire inside, just suck and won't seal properly and fog up your glasses

I spent at least $100 on masks from online stores and Etsy until I found a design from a seller on Etsy that finally fit my face, worked with my beard, and had a wire seal well enough to not fog my glasses.

For me I found that the 3D design ones don't fit me well but the pleated ones do. Once I found a style and maker that had a great selection of fabrics I ordered a more than enough to last me between laundry days. I'll periodically check the Etsy maker to see if they have any new fabric patterns that I like and if so order some more. Hopefully it's ok to link to the maker I've been buying from, https://www.etsy.com/shop/MasksByNikki, if it's not I'll be sure to remove it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I will not grow a beard this winter for the first time in I think 8 years because of the mask mandate.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    My yearly sinus issues have made wearing a mask 12 hours a day almost unbearable, but I'm still doing it because the alternative is worse.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yay snow day! Yay double pay! Yay for snow falling on our huge wildfires!

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    As this is 2020 I fully expect the snow to catch fire

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Getting ghosted after interviews really sucks. One in particular felt like a real decent one and I really believed her when she said I'd hear back "regardless" within two weeks. :(

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    As this is 2020 I fully expect the snow to catch fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKpVnTqngc
    You need a catalyst

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Four days left

LET IT END GOD PLEASE

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Getting ghosted after interviews really sucks. One in particular felt like a real decent one and I really believed her when she said I'd hear back "regardless" within two weeks. :(

My reassurance on this one is it is usually a sign HR or the hiring manager is unorganized, and it is a symptom of the company at large being the same way

The times I've had to push hard on follow-ups that HR continually forgot about have usually meant joining companies that turned out to extremely not have their shit together on an organizational level

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.