As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2 mice/keyboard for one computer

bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
Is there any software or solutions to allow me to use two mice/keyboards on one computer, ie one set on one monitor, the other on the 2nd monitor? Or even just 2 mice?

The only thing i've seen is Microsofts Multipoint but I havent seen any actual products for sale/download from it.

There has to be some software for this, i'm sure i'm not the only would love to do this.

LoL Tribunal:
"Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
"Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
bigwah on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UNIX systems can do this if you configure and run multiple X servers (see here), but I don't think there's anything for Windows aimed outside the third world.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's certain motherboards that come with this capability and they're bundled with software and Y split adapters for the mouse and keyboard.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Microsoft literally built this so Techs in india could be sat 2 techs to 1 screen/1 computer.

As far as Im aware, the software is a specially desgined version of windows itself, so you would have to call them to inquire about getting a copy, and its 2 keyboards/2mice for 1 screen with 2 seperate desktops

edit: multipoint dosent seem to be the same thing I was thinking of. I remember reading about it and seeing a demo online somewhere, but to be honest google fails me at the moment and it was a few months ago. Sorry.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a Vista machine with two keyboards (one wireless, one ps/2) but I don't know if the same set-up would work with mice. And I've never tried it on XP.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know about keyboards, but XP most definitely supports using 2 mice. Some days I end up spacing out and forget to put the mouse on the charger. So I throw it on, grab an old USB mouse and plug that in and use it. In fact, just testing it now, you can move both mice at the same time and the pointer reacts just fine. I imagine a keyboard would do exactly the same thing.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know about keyboards, but XP most definitely supports using 2 mice. Some days I end up spacing out and forget to put the mouse on the charger. So I throw it on, grab an old USB mouse and plug that in and use it. In fact, just testing it now, you can move both mice at the same time and the pointer reacts just fine. I imagine a keyboard would do exactly the same thing.

That would only let two users share the mouse cursor, but the OP needs to independant mouse cursors. Also, keyboard input would go to whatever window was selected regardless of which monitor it was on.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yea, I've already got 2 keyboards and mice (PS2/USB wireless) but what i'm looking for is the ability of them to act separately(ie, 2 mouse pointers, possibly keyboards only effect one display).

The Unix Xservers stuff is nice, but i'd really like to do it with Windows.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was looking at this the other month. There are some appliances you can buy I think, but I don't think there is any good/free way to do it in Windows. My roommate's computer died, and I was trying to figure out a way that we could both play WoW at the same time using my second monitor.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png