As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Just closed down the library system for the day. It's pouring rain and about to drop below freezing for the next thirty-six hours. Things are about to go rapidly and precipitously to shit around here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Getting ghosted after interviews really sucks. One in particular felt like a real decent one and I really believed her when she said I'd hear back "regardless" within two weeks. :(

My reassurance on this one is it is usually a sign HR or the hiring manager is unorganized, and it is a symptom of the company at large being the same way

The times I've had to push hard on follow-ups that HR continually forgot about have usually meant joining companies that turned out to extremely not have their shit together on an organizational level

It would still be nice to know if there was a reason someone was selected over me so I could see if there is anything I can improve on my end as a candidate in the future. No feedback whatsoever gives me nothing to go on.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Getting ghosted after interviews really sucks. One in particular felt like a real decent one and I really believed her when she said I'd hear back "regardless" within two weeks. :(

My reassurance on this one is it is usually a sign HR or the hiring manager is unorganized, and it is a symptom of the company at large being the same way

The times I've had to push hard on follow-ups that HR continually forgot about have usually meant joining companies that turned out to extremely not have their shit together on an organizational level

It would still be nice to know if there was a reason someone was selected over me so I could see if there is anything I can improve on my end as a candidate in the future. No feedback whatsoever gives me nothing to go on.

I have never actually had a single post-game recommendation on how to improve in an interview/as a candidate, so I assume that just means I'm perfect (or my industry doesn't care to do it I guess)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I have never actually had a single post-game recommendation on how to improve in an interview/as a candidate, so I assume that just means I'm perfect (or my industry doesn't care to do it I guess)

I never have either.

It's a snow day, but also since everybody is remote anyway I still have to work.

There's likely little to do for me today. So I guess my question is how long do I wait before I just start playing Witcher 3 and keeping an eye on my phone for emails or chats?

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

I never have either.

It's a snow day, but also since everybody is remote anyway I still have to work.

There's likely little to do for me today. So I guess my question is how long do I wait before I just start playing Witcher 3 and keeping an eye on my phone for emails or chats?

10 minutes ago.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

I don't expect pointers per se but maybe "we filled this position with someone with more experience in X" or "we thought your salary requirements were a little high" or almost anything at all. I can't tell if these posts are actually getting filled or if they are getting put on hold because of the times (COVID plus election).

Today started out pretty bleak. No response from 95% of my applications and my wife's promotion opportunity (which we had understandably high confidence in) likely fell apart. Only positive thing to happen in almost two weeks: another phone interview scheduled for Thursday.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Generally you're discouraged from such comments (post interview) to external candidates because they could be construed as a basis for discrimination.
    I try to keep my comments constructive, somewhat generic and far away from anything that could be connected with a protected class, but it's easier just not to say anything.

edited October 2020
    schuss wrote: »
    Generally you're discouraged from such comments (post interview) to external candidates because they could be construed as a basis for discrimination.
    I try to keep my comments constructive, somewhat generic and far away from anything that could be connected with a protected class, but it's easier just not to say anything.

Yup. HR is trained to be painfully paranoid about hiring lawsuits, so the only way you're going to get meaningful feedback is by a hiring manager breaking the internal rules. Otherwise it's just name, rank, and serial number.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And honestly, the hiring situation being what it is and has been for most of the past five (ten?) years, it really could be as simple as "we had over 50 / 100 applicants for one position."

Ah. Yup. Power’s been out for about twenty minutes. I suspect I am on Flintstone time for the next 2-7 days. See you all on the flip side!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Ah. Yup. Power’s been out for about twenty minutes. I suspect I am on Flintstone time for the next 2-7 days. See you all on the flip side!

Yabba dabba fuck.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Job thread - can I ask an opinion of you fine folks? My team is currently 100% remote. Of course, that means we're somewhat scattered about the state (and a neighboring state actually). I've been invited out to lunch by my manager and her manager - but the other person who lives in the same town as me and my manager wasn't invited.

Am I shitcanned, is it good news, or just literally to have an in-person meeting and I'm invited because I manage all things financial? Am I reading too much into a lunch?

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Generally speaking, you don't get fired around cutlery.

Edit: I mean, unless it can't be helped for work-related reasons. You don't get fired around unmotivated cutlery.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Congrats on your new promotion that doesn't come with more pay, but increased responsibility!

PSN: jfrofl
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Yay snow day! Yay double pay! Yay for snow falling on our huge wildfires!

I take back some of my cheers. Today was a stupid day made stupider (sic) by stupid people making stupid decisions and stupidly acting on it.

I almost got hit in my work vehicle a half dozen times so far as I am responding to alarms across town. Most of which are staff members going in to work on a snow day. Just, why!? We're not even doing remote learning today, it's all shut down! There's no reason to leave your house!

oh h*ck
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I asked her over chat if they were filling me with chicken wings to fire me. She assured me no - they just thought it would be a nice change. So I'm going with massive raise.

At the very least, beer and wings.

I asked her over chat if they were filling me with chicken wings to fire me. She assured me no - they just thought it would be a nice change. So I'm going with massive raise.

At the very least, beer and wings.

Don't fly too close to the sun with your beer wings.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And honestly, the hiring situation being what it is and has been for most of the past five (ten?) years, it really could be as simple as "we had over 50 / 100 applicants for one position."

And it's as I've said several times when 'didn't get the job blues, why am I so awful?'

Like, maybe it was 'only' 10 people trying for that position. Out of them, 5 were actually qualified for the position, including you, given what you've posted here. It's not that you were bad, it's just that 1 of them happened to be judged a better fit. And that might not even be the case!

One company I interviewed with had what seemed like the perfect job for me. So I was really disappointed they went with someone else. Who worked for a week and a half, had a family emergency then funereal, and never talked to the company again. The company had booked international travel for them for training at HQ and other things, but the dude just went poof!

I found this out when I discovered a friend worked in that department and I was curious how the guy chosen over me had worked out

Currently 49 degrees in my house. I don’t think the power is coming back. If I die, tell Bizzaro Stormy I loved them. I always loved them the most.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Please do not die friend.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    New fire started up near homes and winds are a brisk 94 MPH sometimes cracking triple digits today.

Ah yes, the famous fifth season of California: Fire.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At least with your job you should have a lot of fire material to keep you warm.

But seriously, I hope you stay safe. Don't freeze.

Currently 49 degrees in my house. I don’t think the power is coming back. If I die, tell Bizzaro Stormy I loved them. I always loved them the most.

Fahrenheit? I hope?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I knew this moment would come, but I still dread it.

My assistant director has asked me to submit my resume by the end of the week, for the team lead promotion.

I haven't looked at my resume in 7 years... when I last got this job.

Hooooooo boy. deep breaths. You are fine, you have plenty of experience....

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Here in NL and especially in my field I did get some feedback over the years, maybe it also helps that I'm CIS White male so I'd be considered less of a legal threat to share their considerations with.

I got some very well thought out feedback from one guy who genuinely felt bad he couldn't hire me. And some super generic feedback in many other cases. The one thing I had to come to terms with is that an interview is a very limited snapshot of who I am. The feedback I got was all over the place. Sometimes it was contradictory even from one single interview. I had some great interviews where the only feedback I got was "We went with someone with a lower education level, we don't think we could challenge you" and often it was just a regular "oh we could've hired you, but someone else also made a good impression. Please apply again when/if we have more positions open".

And that's just the positive (for varying levels of positive) feedback, I remember not making the cut for one job because I could only speak English and Dutch and they ended up hiring someone who was fluent in 6-ish languages. Like maybe you should have specified what you were looking for a bit better? And not invite me if you had Mister Swahili/French linguist already in the wings??

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Fahrenheit? I hope?

Yeah, real temperature. ;)

Elvenshae on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    All the plexi blast shields they ordered me came in. I have so many now on top of the iPad service counter I built in the library. It is slightly ridiculous. I had to raise them up because they were a bit too short for me. Luckily I have about fifty hardcover copies of the Hunger Game trilogy in storage to use as lifts.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Back when I was working at Mega Library One, we had a whole seven-shelf bank that was nothing but Hunger Games, top to bottom. Called it the Hunger Shrine. Then another one of the movies would come out and it would be completely empty for six months.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Back when I was working at Mega Library One, we had a whole seven-shelf bank that was nothing but Hunger Games, top to bottom. Called it the Hunger Shrine. Then another one of the movies would come out and it would be completely empty for six months.

They come in handy every year as they make a really sturdy base for the big book tree I build every December and string lights around.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Woo! Electricity! Despite the fact that the ice storm is going to continue until tomorrow evening, I feel confident this will last forever! This is amazing!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, just did the final interview for this company (good lord, technical phone screen + 4 interviews, whyyyyyy). First time I've felt like I was conducting the interview as the interviewee. I'll take it I guess!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Woo! Electricity! Despite the fact that the ice storm is going to continue until tomorrow evening, I feel confident this will last forever! This is amazing!

Yay! But just in case, do you have a fireplace where you can bring in some wood from outside??

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I do not. The only sources of heat I have are my gas water heater and my gas stovetop. I intend to survive the icepocalypse via a combination of hot baths, tea, and stew. Happily, even if my fridge is not working I can safety store the stew on my porch, as it is fucking freezing outside and I do not believe the squirrels have the wherewhithal to get into a Lodge cast iron dutch oven with a 20 pound dumbbell on top.

If some particularly swole raccoons happen by, fair play.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Love a 14-hour day unexpectedly foisted upon me.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I do not. The only sources of heat I have are my gas water heater and my gas stovetop. I intend to survive the icepocalypse via a combination of hot baths, tea, and stew. Happily, even if my fridge is not working I can safety store the stew on my porch, as it is fucking freezing outside and I do not believe the squirrels have the wherewhithal to get into a Lodge cast iron dutch oven with a 20 pound dumbbell on top.

My parents have an outdoor cat whose food is also kept outside in a small metal trash can. Racoons can definitely remove one bungee towing strap, but not two. So the 20 lb dumbell shooooould be enough.

N1tSt4lker wrote: »

My parents have an outdoor cat whose food is also kept outside in a small metal trash can. Racoons can definitely remove one bungee towing strap, but not two. So the 20 lb dumbell shooooould be enough.

Do the raccoons just get bored after removing one and go do something else?

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    They're twisted together. So they just aren't strong enough for the two together. That wasn't exactly clear.
    Although, there have been a couple of times when one of the bungee hooks was off but not the other, so boredom is also a possible factor here.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Not job related, but I want some opinions on a photo I am going to get printed. I had been thinking of having it greyscale but now I'm not so sure. Help me decide.

It will be 80*120cm (32*47")
    mu3aw43wtprb.jpgevlm5a2zix1b.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Make the environment greyscale, but leave the elephant as colour.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Colour

This discussion has been closed.