As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I went ahead and stopped my Netflix account. Tired of them cancelling things. I like the service, but they're making it hard for me to see a reason to do anything other than re-up when stuff comes out, binge, and cancel again.

I’m not sure there is a service out there that doesn’t cancel things at the same rate per capita, but I’m glad to see you voting with your wallet.

Mindhunter is 100% on Fincher though. Still so mad because I loved the show. We’ll have to wait and see if Mank was worth the trade off.

WoW used to have a box to tell them why you are cancelling when I've did so. Does Netflix?

Yep. I have a dashboard I can look at that shows me those. Not my team though.

WoW also had a crying Peon that would guilt trip you into staying. Maybe Netflix should add one of those.

Edit: maybe a crying Sense8 cast member.

It would cost too much for them to continuously cycle characters from series they haven't cancelled yet that you watch regularly. You know how often that happens!

Netflix is aware of why people dont like/are leaving, the issue is if they care. They won't until they have to. These services are built around new users pulled in for growing revenue period over period. Were still in the era where they don't know what to do once they have them and I bet are largely dependent on them forgetting their monthly billing.

Retention probably isnt that important, because if they were customers once, they will probably be back eventually for 2 more years (2 seasons ) of shows within the next 6 quarters.

I'd like to cancel Neflix for a while, bit I'd have to check how much my nieces use it...

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I went ahead and stopped my Netflix account. Tired of them cancelling things. I like the service, but they're making it hard for me to see a reason to do anything other than re-up when stuff comes out, binge, and cancel again.

I’m not sure there is a service out there that doesn’t cancel things at the same rate per capita, but I’m glad to see you voting with your wallet.

Mindhunter is 100% on Fincher though. Still so mad because I loved the show. We’ll have to wait and see if Mank was worth the trade off.

My main goal is to encourage them to treat cancellation as something they do because nobody is watching, not because they think they have captured a given audience.

Forcing Bojack to finish up early was lame. Killing Dark Crystal is an artistic tragedy.

Yeah I think it’s the cancellation calculus that rubs people the wrong way. It’s not like OTA and linear cable networks don’t murder shows left and right. But you usually get the sense that it’s because they aren’t winning their time slot, there isn’t a better time slot for them, and only occasionally because they’re too expensive to produce. It really is “you were the only one watching this, sorry bro.”

Netflix’s math seems to be less about raw viewership than subscriber retention. I say “seems” because raw viewership numbers are hard to come by still? So something like SCD doesn’t get canceled because CBS is eating their lunch on Thursday night, it gets canceled because an algorithm determined that people wouldn’t drop their subscription if it was canceled, nor is it driving new subscriptions.

Which, on the one hand, fair. But it does mean, from what I can tell, that a show that people actually watch can be canceled if it’s determined that it’s not actually a sub driver. So the cost per viewer number starts to matter *a lot.* Whereas on linear TV I think the ad revenue can still justify keeping a show provided the eyeballs are there. Keeping the time slot filled with something people watch matters. Shows become a lot more disposable when there’s no schedule to fill.

Linear TV fought for one night at a time, one time slot at a time. Every show mattered, because that increment of viewership mattered. Netflix and streaming are fighting a binary fight with their lineup as a whole; you sub or you don’t.

I think it's honestly simpler: people expected better of them.

Streaming services have become seen as a home for things that wouldn't be made by normal channels or for saving shows that said normal channels cancelled. So them turning around and doing the same shit feels like a betrayal. People were really hoping, vainly honestly but earnestly, streaming services would be better then normal TV.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

My main goal is to encourage them to treat cancellation as something they do because nobody is watching, not because they think they have captured a given audience.

Forcing Bojack to finish up early was lame. Killing Dark Crystal is an artistic tragedy.

Yeah I think it’s the cancellation calculus that rubs people the wrong way. It’s not like OTA and linear cable networks don’t murder shows left and right. But you usually get the sense that it’s because they aren’t winning their time slot, there isn’t a better time slot for them, and only occasionally because they’re too expensive to produce. It really is “you were the only one watching this, sorry bro.”

Netflix’s math seems to be less about raw viewership than subscriber retention. I say “seems” because raw viewership numbers are hard to come by still? So something like SCD doesn’t get canceled because CBS is eating their lunch on Thursday night, it gets canceled because an algorithm determined that people wouldn’t drop their subscription if it was canceled, nor is it driving new subscriptions.

Which, on the one hand, fair. But it does mean, from what I can tell, that a show that people actually watch can be canceled if it’s determined that it’s not actually a sub driver. So the cost per viewer number starts to matter *a lot.* Whereas on linear TV I think the ad revenue can still justify keeping a show provided the eyeballs are there. Keeping the time slot filled with something people watch matters. Shows become a lot more disposable when there’s no schedule to fill.

Linear TV fought for one night at a time, one time slot at a time. Every show mattered, because that increment of viewership mattered. Netflix and streaming are fighting a binary fight with their lineup as a whole; you sub or you don’t.

Streaming services have become seen as a home for things that wouldn't be made by normal channels or for saving shows that said normal channels cancelled. So them turning around and doing the same shit feels like a betrayal. People were really hoping, vainly honestly but earnestly, streaming services would be better then normal TV.

This is how I feel with Twitch and streamers and how they are adding commercials. Streamers go "its just like cable why are you whining" and its kind of like because I dropped cable over those fucking obnoxious commercials you adding them back in makes in because its acceptable is unacceptable.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Apparently MGM wanted 600m for James Bond on streaming; Amazon did pickup Coming to America 2 for $120m though.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is how I feel with Twitch and streamers and how they are adding commercials. Streamers go "its just like cable why are you whining" and its kind of like because I dropped cable over those fucking obnoxious commercials you adding them back in makes in because its acceptable is unacceptable.

It's basically the same as with food or anything else. You start things off as good as they can be to get people hooked, and you hope that habit keeps them from going away once you start cutting corners and making it like every other thing in the market.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Netflix only added 2.2 milly new subscribers in the third quarter compared to the 16 and 10 milly of the first two quarters due to the lockdown bump. So it seems a lot of people have been coming to the same conclusion.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

WoW used to have a box to tell them why you are cancelling when I've did so. Does Netflix?

They do.

Ya when I cancelled I specifically put the reason as they kept cancelling shows that I enjoyed.

It's basically the same as with food or anything else. You start things off as good as they can be to get people hooked, and you hope that habit keeps them from going away once you start cutting corners and making it like every other thing in the market.

Yep and part of being an adult who remembers things, is remembering how often "oh its just this *blank* it doesn't mean they'll add *blank*" until they do exactly fucking that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

They do.

Ya when I cancelled I specifically put the reason as they kept cancelling shows that I enjoyed.

Same. I really like the service! And I don't mind paying while I wait for the next season, even! But only if the next season is coming.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

They do.

Same. I really like the service! And I don't mind paying while I wait for the next season, even! But only if the next season is coming.

There also doesn't seem to be any communication between Netflix and creators when it comes to future seasons.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I will probably never cancel Netflix because it is cheap enough and I am lazy enough that it's too much trouble, even though they keep canceling shit I like.

It is me. I am the problem. Direct your anger at me, I can take it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Got to finish the last few epis of Lovecraft Country. I am improperly equipped to explain how wonderful and beautiful the Hippolyta storyline was. The rest of the show is pretty great, even with the slow pacing, mediocre plotting, and bonkers-adjacent ending for S1, but Orinthia Blue was something special.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Netflix looks at each show and says, "Which will make more money, producing this show or stopping production?" It's a simple, corporate, calculus. The problem for me is that while there isn't a single show Netflix has canceled that will cause me to leave the service, in aggregate I'm now questioning if I'm getting value out of the service. The two competitors I have for Netflix are Amazon, which I would have anyway because I subscribe for their shipping, and Hulu.

I'm doing the same questioning for Hulu, and atm am more likely to drop Hulu than Netflix because more of Hulu's appeal has been lost to the fracturing of streaming rights than has been for Netflix.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's just funny how every few years they'll drop a bajillion dollars getting the rights to some old 7-10 season show, when by now they could have some of their own if they would just let them.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    has anyone watched netflix "barbarians" and can give me a few spoiler free words about whether it's watchable?

I've only seen some reviews and according to those it's abit soapy and trashy, including the mandatory love triangle, etc. and having on the one hand the romans speak latin but the germans typical TV style high german comes across as a bit silly.

Well there is basically no story, just random "twists" of people switching from "betrayal" mode to "inevitable betrayal" to "we are brothers now!"

it looks pretty enough, i hate child actors and the one featured is super annoying. I will 100% support the "typical TV german" though I would ammend it to "fresh out of acting class" German including all the yelling (because emotions!)

The female lead is solid though and looks absolutely ballers in battle make-up

Also it is thankfully short and there is little chance of a follow-up.

they tried to do a German Vikings but the setting is wrong and the writing is, well German tv, poor.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    does anyone know if there is a way to combine an existing disney plus account and a hulu account into one for their "bundled" price? we pre-bought the 3 year deal and my 2 dollars a month with hulu is running out. i was hoping i could save a few pennies by some how combining them but i don't see an option.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So on the topic of Netflix canceling things: for the first time I've experienced a comic book I enjoyed being canceled by Netflix.

I've been on a horror graphic novel kick lately, trying lots of stuff to find things I want to keep going with (and which, y'know, keep going). I read volume 1 of The Magic Order (which is not the same as The Order). It was pretty solid. Came out in, like, 2018 or 2019. I go looking for volume 2. Turns out Mark Millar has his own publishing imprint, which licensed The Magic Order to Netflix...I guess before it was even published? Or maybe before the trade volume was published? Anyway, Netflix has a credit in the book and was on track with a season 1 adapatation series until the pandemic. Thanks to covid-19 they've decided to indefinitely postpone production on the show and the comic, which Millar had previously (sometime in 2019) confirmed to be continuing toward a volume 2, hasn't had an issue come out since the last one in volume 1.

Blech.

In other news: the CBS All Access app for samsung smart TV is a buggy hunk of shit. I've had to hard reboot my TV 4 times in 6 episodes of Lower Decks.
    But I got my new chromecast with built-in streaming apps today. Maybe that will work better.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Anyone know if there happens to be a site that keeps track of movies/shows on streaming services and can email users automatically when they appear on those services?

Man we get mandalorian and the nick frost ghost show this friday? rock on for distractions!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Man we get mandalorian and the nick frost ghost show this friday? rock on for distractions!

That works out well - I’m really looking forward to the Nick Frost film, and there’s a book out on Saturday I’ve been looking forward to since the last book.

Yay for distractions from the End Times !

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Netflix only added 2.2 milly new subscribers in the third quarter compared to the 16 and 10 milly of the first two quarters due to the lockdown bump. So it seems a lot of people have been coming to the same conclusion.

This is a very basic concept called pull forward. Normally those 26 million people would’ve maybe joined the service over the year. Thanks to the pandemic, those people were home and signed up early.

If we start losing subscribers (like basic cable does) then you can make statements like that.

Furthermore, it’s exactly what we forecasted. 4 months ago.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    @CptHamilton since about the time the Wanted movie came out Mark Millar has been pre-selling the film/tv rights to comics he hasn't created yet. As far as I can tell, if a studio doesn't buy the pitch he doesn't make the book

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I've now watched 7 of the 10 episodes of Teenage Bounty Hunters and this may in fact be my favorite tv show ever

I hope some other service/network gives it a season 2. CBS, I will finally sign up for your stupid service if you grab this show!

Okay so the rising drama in episode 8 of Teenage Bounty Hunters has got me so anxious for the characters that I've now taken 3 breaks from the episode and I still have 15 minutes to go. This show is so good but apparently for the final stretch I'm going to have to enact my own commercial breaks just to breathe

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Anyone know if there happens to be a site that keeps track of movies/shows on streaming services and can email users automatically when they appear on those services?

JustWatch won’t email automatically, not to my knowledge, but you can create a watchlist and then check to see if anything has popped on your services (which you can populate).

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dear Season 1 Finale of Raised By Wolves,

Whut.

Love,
    ElJeffe

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Netflix has been acting as a way to occasionally watch their big prestige releases and also stream Star Trek shows. I haven't run out of Voyager yet, and there's Enterprise after that because why not, so I guess I'm not cancelling any time soon.

I have been watching it less, though.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I have actually upgraded my Netflix account so my dad can watch as well during these stay at home times. Still have more than enough on my watchlist so not cancelling any time soon. Now if only that watchlist was easier to order (or the "Move to Top" button actually worked instead of doing the exact opposite of what it says).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Holy shit I wanted Iron Fist to be good but the Kung Fu was just so bad.

It's weird how awful Danny's personality was that it made you actually side with a bunch of awful 1%'ers for a good chunk of the early episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    I have actually upgraded my Netflix account so my dad can watch as well during these stay at home times. Still have more than enough on my watchlist so not cancelling any time soon. Now if only that watchlist was easier to order (or the "Move to Top" button actually worked instead of doing the exact opposite of what it says).

Hey, if you had HBO (at least the Spanish version) you'd be limited to 15 or so titles max on your watchlist. Want to add a new one? Gotta delete the oldest one on your list first. Whoever thought this was a good idea?

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

This is a very basic concept called pull forward. Normally those 26 million people would’ve maybe joined the service over the year. Thanks to the pandemic, those people were home and signed up early.

If we start losing subscribers (like basic cable does) then you can make statements like that.

That's not really what a pull-forward is. A pull-forward is an accounting tactic used by companies to buttress weaker quarters on the strength of stronger quarters in the hopes that another stronger earnings quarter will come along to fill in the deficit created by the pull-forward.

It's a way of smoothing out revenue over a fiscal to create the false impression that the ongoing revenue run rate is steady when it is in fact very lumpy. It's meant to appease shareholders but oftentimes actually hurts them as you get an unrealistic view of the ongoing revenue run-rate/growth of a company.

It's used a lot by Software as a Service companies as well as subscription services. UnderArmour is currently under investigation for doing it too.
    It's not illegal by any stretch but it is the kind of practice typically used to misguide the market/shareholders and can be abused.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Netflix just announced a live-action Assassin's Creed series being developed.

KoopahTroopah on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is Assassin Creed at all that popular?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Is Assassin Creed at all that popular?

It's right between Mario Kart and Final Fantasy for 'Best Selling Video Game Francises', well above Sonic, Star Wars games, Resident Evil, and Zelda.

Might be a bit past its prime, not sure how the last few have sold, but it's certainly big.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I can't wait for the first season to have multiple plot threads in multiple time periods, spending a bunch of time detailing all the planning needed for each target, setting up all sorts of hooks for an interesting overarching framing narrative in subsequent seasons, then for the second season to never mention the overall narrative across time periods, to drop all planning and buildup scenes and go all action all the time, and then for Netflix to cancel season three with no resolution to the plot.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I can't wait for the first season to have multiple plot threads in multiple time periods, spending a bunch of time detailing all the planning needed for each target, setting up all sorts of hooks for an interesting overarching framing narrative in subsequent seasons, then for the second season to never mention the overall narrative across time periods, to drop all planning and buildup scenes and go all action all the time, and then for Netflix to cancel season three with no resolution to the plot.

the entire third season will be collecting flags/pages/signs for random historical figure 27

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

That's not really what a pull-forward is. A pull-forward is an accounting tactic used by companies to buttress weaker quarters on the strength of stronger quarters in the hopes that another stronger earnings quarter will come along to fill in the deficit created by the pull-forward.

It's a way of smoothing out revenue over a fiscal to create the false impression that the ongoing revenue run rate is steady when it is in fact very lumpy. It's meant to appease shareholders but oftentimes actually hurts them as you get an unrealistic view of the ongoing revenue run-rate/growth of a company.

It's used a lot by Software as a Service companies as well as subscription services. UnderArmour is currently under investigation for doing it too.
    It's not illegal by any stretch but it is the kind of practice typically used to misguide the market/shareholders and can be abused.

Sure, that’s the accounting definition. I’ll give you that one. We use it internally too to describe this membership shift this odd year and I’ve definitely heard it used outside revenue discussions externally too.

Ps an Assassins Creed show is bound to be terrible.

Nothing. Matters.
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think we're using the same definition - but internally at Netflix it sounds like they're putting a positive spin on it when it's not necessarily such a thing. Which isn't surprising as my employer does it too. Just make no mistake that it's not really a positive thing regardless of whether it's forecasted or not.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I’ll watch an Ezio AC series!

50433.png?1708759015
    I mean we all remember how good the last AC live action show was.

Honestly where is a gears of war show? Fuck christ its just muscley dudes and guns, its the easiest god damn movie in the world to make!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Going to watch Sarah Cooper's Everything's Fine special tonight. Reviews of it said that it is pretty good and really weird which is fitting for 2020.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.