As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me not buy from Amazon

RichyRichy Registered User regular
So Christmas is just around the corner, judging from the Christmas displays we've been seeing in every store for the past month. And we've decided the best gift for our toddler is the math-learning game Monkey Balance. Only problem is, none of our local toy stores carry it, and we can only find it online on Amazon or other similar websites (AliExpress, eBay, Wish, etc.) or Walmart, which is really not better. We would very much like to not buy from them. But we tried googling the sellers, and only come up with Amazon storefronts.

So, I'm looking for ideas. How do I avoid buying from Amazon? Where can I go, who can I call, how do I find them? Or alternatively, is there another equivalent game that's not sold through them?

Thanks!

sig.gif

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Fox Stark has it.
    They have a sale on it too (although it was ending in a few hours when I checked.
    https://foxstark.com/products/monkey-game

P.S: Or Fishpond

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Play Brainy makes the game and they seem to have it for sale on their site.

There's also these guys, but I don't know what their deal is.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

That looks like the best deal so far.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

Yeah, in general you can always just use Amazon for your shopping, and if you find something you like, you can try to just go to the company's own website and see if you can buy it there.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So Christmas is just around the corner, judging from the Christmas displays we've been seeing in every store for the past month. And we've decided the best gift for our toddler is the math-learning game Monkey Balance. Only problem is, none of our local toy stores carry it, and we can only find it online on Amazon or other similar websites (AliExpress, eBay, Wish, etc.) or Walmart, which is really not better. We would very much like to not buy from them. But we tried googling the sellers, and only come up with Amazon storefronts.

So, I'm looking for ideas. How do I avoid buying from Amazon? Where can I go, who can I call, how do I find them? Or alternatively, is there another equivalent game that's not sold through them?

Thanks!

Hey Richy, have you tried your local kids bookstores, if there is one in your city? They typically carry toys as well. I'd say that they'd probably be happy to order the game for you too, but this seems like one where the manufacturer is kind of hard to figure out.

They would probably be more than happy to suggest a similar game appropriate for the age of your child too.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Yeah, in general you can always just use Amazon for your shopping, and if you find something you like, you can try to just go to the company's own website and see if you can buy it there.

I do this all the time. Search for it on Amazon, then go to the company site.

Not only does this help to guarantee you aren't getting counterfeit or returned inventory, but it also helps guarantee you will get the actual brand warranty. In addition, it makes it easier to see which "brands" on Amazon are just fronts for resellers or Chinese shell companies selling generic goods.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone! I'll try some of the stores you suggested.

sig.gif