As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean we all remember how good the last AC live action show was.

Honestly where is a gears of war show? Fuck christ its just muscley dudes and guns, its the easiest god damn movie in the world to make!

In 1987, maybe.

Still easy to make today, mind, just less market for it. Even with DwayJo that’s not an easy sell nowadays.
    Yeah I’m gonna make that a thing. Just you watch.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i liked that assassin creeds movie with young magneto, i thought it was fun! I'd watch a series set in a historic time period where there is swashbuckling and daring-do etc.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean we all remember how good the last AC live action show was.

Honestly where is a gears of war show? Fuck christ its just muscley dudes and guns, its the easiest god damn movie in the world to make!

It's not hard to make. What's hard is to make it not suck. And you can see evidence of this in the just mountain of mediocre-at-best generic action movies we get.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So somebody asked about the new Netflix series Barbaren(or Barbarians) earlier in this thread. Having seen it in a binge watch because it takes my mind of the US election... its Okay.

Its about the battle of the Teutonenburg Forrest, the German tribes who fought there and their leader Arminius. Its fairly unique in that the Barbarians and Romans speak German and Latin respectively(unlike every other series set in the time period that uses various English accents for everyone). Its fairly authentic to the actual events, with only some mythical visions imagery bullshit that they put into these things(wolf imagery to be presise).

The battle scene is good enough to match GOT in scope and detail with better vision, but the series is 6 episodes long and 5 of those episodes are set up to the sixth. Its also fairly obvious set up to be a continuing series with at least a couple of seasons to tell the entire story. Netflix being Netflix, you have been warned! Also a warning from History: The larger story did not have a happy ending in real life.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ugh, stop putting your video games in my movies/tv! It's not gonna work. When the fucking pinnacle* of film about video games is MORTAL KOMBAT from 1995, this should clue you in that it is harder than you think it is!

*Ok, ok, ok...let's calm down...let's talk about this....*

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Going to watch Sarah Cooper's Everything's Fine special tonight. Reviews of it said that it is pretty good and really weird which is fitting for 2020.

Watched it. It's weird. And entertaining. Reminded me of some Andy Kaufman bits.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You'd think they'd wait for how Cuphead is received in its non-oldies animation style before you try an assassin's creed movie. Do something classier like Double Dragon or Streets of Rage and all you do is make it 5 episodes, non stop fighting like the last episode of Cobra Kai only with blood and dabbing.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Is Assassin Creed at all that popular?

It's right between Mario Kart and Final Fantasy for 'Best Selling Video Game Francises', well above Sonic, Star Wars games, Resident Evil, and Zelda.

Might be a bit past its prime, not sure how the last few have sold, but it's certainly big.

It's quantum leap but with murder, as a procedural show it kind of sells itself.

steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Is Assassin Creed at all that popular?

It's right between Mario Kart and Final Fantasy for 'Best Selling Video Game Francises', well above Sonic, Star Wars games, Resident Evil, and Zelda.

Might be a bit past its prime, not sure how the last few have sold, but it's certainly big.

It's quantum leap but with murder, as a procedural show it kind of sells itself.

We already had Journeyman. It didn't last a full season because not enough people watched it even though it was a good show. It even had aphostile in it!

Granted, AC will presumably have a lot more murder than Journeyman. Like, a lot, a lot more.

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I’d like to point out that Netflix’s Blood of Zeus is fucking amazing!

I binged the 8 half-hour episodes, and while the first episode is basically the big exposition episode, stuff starts happening and keeps happening until the end.

Never skip the starting credits (they’re everytime a bit different), nor the end credits (they show character designs and storyboards there).

If you watch with subtitles on, you will never have seen so much [ominous music], [choral music], [ominous choral music intensifies] or something similar in your life.

The only minor remark I have is that I think they sing Latin in the [epic ominous choral music intensifies], and well, Latin happened after the Greeks.
    But for the rest it is amazingly excellent!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Finished up Queen's Gambit tonight.

Final decision: Is good. Should watch.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Started watching Dark last night. Really shouldn't have watched the trailer to see if I'd like it, as it blows what I assume are a lot of big reveals.

Also started watching The Dark Crystal series. Stupidly beautiful and impressively cast.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Anyone watching Fargo? Im really enjoying this season.

southwick wrote: »

There is a 4th season of Fargo? I haven’t seen any announcements on Netflix about that!
    Nevertheless, something to look forward to!

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

There is a 4th season of Fargo? I haven’t seen any announcements on Netflix about that!

Its a period piece apparently

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Fargo is an FX show. So it won’t hit Netflix for a while.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Started watching Dark last night. Really shouldn't have watched the trailer to see if I'd like it, as it blows what I assume are a lot of big reveals.

While some of Dark's immediate satisfaction may be derived from attempts at deduction/predicting twists, which could be hindered by the trailer you watched, ultimately I think enjoyment for Dark is more about sinking into its over-the-top soap opera vibe. If you can't find emotional delight in extended musical montage of people being sad in the rain, Dark might not be for you.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Dark was wonderful and I'm glad I went in blind

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Fargo is an FX show. So it won’t hit Netflix for a while.

Should be on HULU now.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Also started watching The Dark Crystal series. Stupidly beautiful and impressively cast.

I mean, there's three whole seasons for Dark and honestly if anything, the first season is only picking up steam until the last couple episodes, at which point the rest of the show is going at full-bore.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I don't think I realized this but "I'm not okay with this" was cancelled. Or maybe I did and just forgot with everything else that is going on.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • notyanotya Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, there's three whole seasons for Dark and honestly if anything, the first season is only picking up steam until the last couple episodes, at which point the rest of the show is going at full-bore.

I'm almost to the 3rd season right now and I liked the first half of the first season best so far.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watched Blood Machines on Shudder and wow did that editing job turning a 50 minute movie into three "episodes didn't do it any favors".

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I don't think I realized this but "I'm not okay with this" was cancelled. Or maybe I did and just forgot with everything else that is going on.

Maybe you were not okay with that, so you forgot?

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Watched Blood Machines on Shudder and wow did that editing job turning a 50 minute movie into three "episodes didn't do it any favors".

How's the sound though?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

How's the sound though?

Amazing!

I think I liked it, though it was as subtle as a brick through a window.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    AC could be good if they don't even touch the modern stuff for like, 3 seasons.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country and goddamn this is a good show. It's best trick so far is creating such tension and dread from the blatant homicidal racism that when the actual horror stuff starts going down, it's almost a relief.

Also:
    Fast shoggoths, holy shit.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country and goddamn this is a good show. It's best trick so far is creating such tension and dread from the blatant homicidal racism that when the actual horror stuff starts going down, it's almost a relief.

Also:

I love that it never loses that theme. They are dealing with wizards and magic and interdimensional travel and none of that awe or terror holds a candle to the evils of racism in America.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2020
    I mean, given the choice between fighting nameless horrors from beyond or institutionalized racism, I much prefer my chances against the cthluhu.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, given the choice between fighting nameless horrors from beyond or institutionalized racism, I much prefer my chances against the cthluhu.

Well yeah, it's a numbers game. How many nameless horrors from beyond could there be? Probably less than the millions of racist conservatives.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I bet it's easier to befriend a nameless horror too. Who does Cthulu pick in Mario Kart?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm trying to watch blood of zeus on Netflix and I guess I'm just not artsy enough because all the reviews have raved about the animation/character designs and it just looks janky to me and I can't stand it; it's actually a struggle for me to to watch because of how bad I find it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I binged the 8 half-hour episodes, and while the first episode is basically the big exposition episode, stuff starts happening and keeps happening until the end.

Never skip the starting credits (they’re everytime a bit different), nor the end credits (they show character designs and storyboards there).

If you watch with subtitles on, you will never have seen so much [ominous music], [choral music], [ominous choral music intensifies] or something similar in your life.

The only minor remark I have is that I think they sing Latin in the [epic ominous choral music intensifies], and well, Latin happened after the Greeks.

A friend and I watched the first 2 episodes, and were kind of puzzled by how slow it was and that nothing was happening? Maybe we will give it another try. A large chunk of those episodes is a random old man telling the protagonist to climb a mountain an mine some ore and then him going and doing it. It has revelations later, but it still makes no narrative sense. And propping up Checkovs bolder. I normally don't notice animation quality, but it was kind of particularly poor for this stylistic choice.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Hmm thanks for that. I was wondering if it was good. Conceptually I feel like I'd like it but the trailer didn't grab me

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Yeah, I have to admit that in the first episodes the animation quality didn’t feel that good.

But like a comic with not so great art that has a great story, at one point I got so involved in the story, that I didn’t notice the yankiness of the animation anymore (or it got better in later episodes, I don’t know).

There is some great fight choreography, especially later; I have never seen an animated character do grappling holds.

And the bident is simply a terrifying weapon (with great sound design).

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I wasn't too surprised when the Ducktales and Animaniacs reboots were announced. But I have to admit, I did not see this one coming.

I'm glad I got to live long enough to see 90's kids take over the animation industry.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Also:

I love that it never loses that theme. They are dealing with wizards and magic and interdimensional travel and none of that awe or terror holds a candle to the evils of racism in America.

Lovecraft Country got a little too Tru Bloody-like for my tastes but I do agree that the racism as horror overtones throughout are really great. I don't know if I'll be back for Season 2 but I enjoyed the ride with season 1.

That first episode though is maybe one of the best single episodes of television I've ever seen on HBO. Also the episode with creepy girls was insanely unsettling.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Lovecraft's stories generally involved characters who had save and secure lives and thought they had a firm grasp on how the world worked who then had the rug pulled out from under them to discover they actually lived in a capricious and malevolent universe where they and their lives are meaningless in the eyes of the powerful entities that are intruding into their world. They tend not to handle that discovery well and end up taking 3d10 insanity points as a result. The main characters in Lovecraft Country are already painfully aware of how hostile their world is and how little power they have in it, so running into mythos creatures isn't going to put a smile on their face, but it's not going to shatter their worldview. At least with a Shoggoth you know where you stand, and as malicious as they are, at least they're not malevolent.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I wasn't too surprised when the Ducktales and Animaniacs reboots were announced. But I have to admit, I did not see this one coming.

I'm glad I got to live long enough to see 90's kids take over the animation industry.

The voice actress for Elmyra confirmed that the character will NOT be returning in this show, btw.

Plus, one producer of the Tiny Toons reboot is an Adventure Time alumn, and the other is the creator of a podcast called Attitudes focused on feminist and LGBTQ+ topics. So it'll be interesting to see what their take on Tiny Toons is like.

Hexmage-PA on
This discussion has been closed.