As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I think Edgar is gonna have some kind of a safeguard against homelander.

Since they've changed up the characters so much, I'm wondering what his weakness will be. I mean we know he can be damaged. If Stormfront and Maeve and Starlight can be hurt, so can he, it's just a matter of "what will it take"

He just has the same power that Maeve revealed over Homelander, just Homelander already knows that Edgar had that power over him from the conversation about his contract. Vought has the evidence that Homelander and others planted V for terrorists to get. They can always lay the blame at their feet and remove them. If they go on a rampage, that is then the military's problem. We've also already seen that Vought has contingency equipment for situations with the sonic devices at the end of season 2.

I keep seeing people say that, but those "devices" at the end looked like just a pile of Vought-brand bluetooth speakers that Frenchie tuned to some ultra high frequency he expected to only bother Homelander.

IMO It's just the boys being clever, not some magic anti-supe weapon (and anyway all it did was annoy him, if Ryan wasn't freaking out he wouldn't even have been inconvenienced by the sound).

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Given the veer away from the source material I'd be interested to see their Homelander start taking notes from Irredeemable, my preferred Evil Superman expy story.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess I'm fine with the dumping on the deep because the actor is funny while he's just getting shit on, and his powers while cool are super useless for the most part and ha fuck you aquaman.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    This is an open spoiler thread for the show, but that doesn't mean it's OK to toss in stuff from the comic that may or may not be in future seasons of the show. Yes, the comic's been over for a while, but the show is adapting the comic, and no one knows exactly what they're going to take from it.

They alreafy confirmed next season will have
    Payback team and Soldier Boy

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I guess I'm fine with the dumping on the deep because the actor is funny while he's just getting shit on, and his powers while cool are super useless for the most part and ha fuck you aquaman.

Except you know, He probably has the best power set for military use of the seven apart from Homelander. I mean the Deep sea welding and demolitions are what the Navy Seals where set up to do. Sneak up on enemy shores and plant demolition charges on enemy strong points and destroy enemy installations.

His ability to talk to fish is a great way to track enemy ships and submarines, the US navy spends billions trying to track Enemy Missiles subs that the Deep could find with a casual conversation with Sea Bass.

Of course he is too stupid to realize that and the US Navy probably would want such a flake near their classified programs.

Why the CIA didn't snap up Mesmer from S1 on the get go is a mystery. Like there are rules and then there is a guy that can read minds.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Except you know, He probably has the best power set for military use of the seven apart from Homelander. I mean the Deep sea welding and demolitions are what the Navy Seals where set up to do. Sneak up on enemy shores and plant demolition charges on enemy strong points and destroy enemy installations.

His ability to talk to fish is a great way to track enemy ships and submarines, the US navy spends billions trying to track Enemy Missiles subs that the Deep could find with a casual conversation with Sea Bass.

Of course he is too stupid to realize that and the US Navy probably would want such a flake near their classified programs.

Why the CIA didn't snap up Mesmer from S1 on the get go is a mystery. Like there are rules and then there is a guy that can read minds.

Because they can't control them would be the issue I think. The one thing we've seen over and over from the heroes is they are all ticking time bombs of insecurities and damage. I mean mesmer had a drug problem right? A dude who can read minds and has a habit like that is super dangerous in intelligence.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Because they can't control them would be the issue I think. The one thing we've seen over and over from the heroes is they are all ticking time bombs of insecurities and damage. I mean mesmer had a drug problem right? A dude who can read minds and has a habit like that is super dangerous in intelligence.

True

Though it's probably hard to have a drug problem when you've been disappeared into a CIA black ops site for the rest of your life

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Or you know, just have a fish point out some ancient shipwrecks and get rich off a chest of pirate doubloons

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Or you know, just have a fish point out some ancient shipwrecks and get rich off a chest of pirate doubloons

Came here to say this. The basic problem with super powers in any story is that there are generally real practical applications that break entire swaths of industries if not really fuck with civilization. The deep could stop whaling. He could effectively stop the fishing industry all together if he wanted(I don't think he wants this, but animals talking to you and know people eat them has to be haunting). I always get reminded of the flash tv show has a guy who can use mirrors to effectively teleport, if he stopped robbing banks for 20k at a time, he could send a mirror to china and start a logistics company and be a billionare, legally, almost overnight. nasa shooting a mirror to mars would revolutionize space colonization and he would become king of the solar system.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Came here to say this. The basic problem with super powers in any story is that there are generally real practical applications that break entire swaths of industries if not really fuck with civilization. The deep could stop whaling. He could effectively stop the fishing industry all together if he wanted(I don't think he wants this, but animals talking to you and know people eat them has to be haunting). I always get reminded of the flash tv show has a guy who can use mirrors to effectively teleport, if he stopped robbing banks for 20k at a time, he could send a mirror to china and start a logistics company and be a billionare, legally, almost overnight. nasa shooting a mirror to mars would revolutionize space colonization and he would become king of the solar system.

"I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs."

sig.gif
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    All the stupid edge lord shit or just "Ennis doing Ennis shit" is gone.

The themes are updated and a lot more eloquently presented.

I'd tell you to give it two episodes and you would know it's for you or not.

Same. The broad strokes are there, but the show is definitely its own thing.

It’s pretty great, I’m already eager for the next Season.

I don't
    think Noir is Homelanders clone, since it was a shitty reveal in the comics and honestly I think Erick Kripke is better than that. It didn't work with the themes of the comic at all.

"It wasn't the supe you thought that did all those horrible things, it was his secret identical twin brother who did it! and he only did it to make his twin brother Homelander think he was going mad, thereby driving Homelander to do things that would give his secret twin brother Black Noir an excuse to kill him"!
    Nah, if anybody other than Butcher is going to kill Homelander, its going to be Ryan and its going to be because Homelander is being a cunt.

Edit: Ok Spoilered, but this is an open spoiler thread and the comic has been over for 10 years. There is a time limit on these things.

I did like Butchers response to Homelander in the comic -
    “You became a sociopath by accident.”

Auralynx wrote: »
    Given the veer away from the source material I'd be interested to see their Homelander start taking notes from Irredeemable, my preferred Evil Superman expy story.

Is that the comic where a Superman substitute has a psychotic break, and starts destroying the world, leading to his arch-nemesis becoming a good guy to stop him ?

If so, I remember reading it so far, but I think I stopped before the end.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Deep arguably has the most real-world-useful powerset of any of the characters; with a little imagination could easily make himself into a worldwide celebrity/activist, actually do some good and fuck as many interns as he wanted along the way. Unfortunately for him, he's an unimaginative dumbass.

in the context of the show I'm pretty bored with him at this point; seeing him get dumped on is funny cause he's a dumb rapist asshole but the show spends a fair amount of time on it considering how little it's advanced the story

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

Is that the comic where a Superman substitute has a psychotic break, and starts destroying the world, leading to his arch-nemesis becoming a good guy to stop him ?

If so, I remember reading it so far, but I think I stopped before the end.

Yeah. I wouldn't want them to take story notes but you could get a lot of mileage out of looking at how The Plutonian interacts with the other characters, I think, in terms of building out a yet-creepier Homelander.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Deep arguably has the most real-world-useful powerset of any of the characters; with a little imagination could easily make himself into a worldwide celebrity/activist, actually do some good and fuck as many interns as he wanted along the way. Unfortunately for him, he's an unimaginative dumbass.

in the context of the show I'm pretty bored with him at this point; seeing him get dumped on is funny cause he's a dumb rapist asshole but the show spends a fair amount of time on it considering how little it's advanced the story
    actually
    *pushes glasses up*
    i would say the most untapped potential is starlight
    at its most basic level, she's able to control electrons which means fundamentally with enough training, should could be an omega level superhero in the same way iceman is

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hands down the best super hero fight scene I’ve ever experienced.

Someone give the show runner Nextwave after this.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

actually
    *pushes glasses up*
    i would say the most untapped potential is starlight
    at its most basic level, she's able to control electrons which means fundamentally with enough training, should could be an omega level superhero in the same way iceman is

Bleeeegh, I hate crap like that to the utmost. It makes practically every person with superpowers potentially the most powerful thing ever. Can make fire? Control heat energy, which could potentially fuck up the universe with enough power! Drain heat energy? Can potentially end the universe with enough power! Can eat farts and convert them into whatever scent they choose? Can reconfigure molecules and potentially end the universe with enough power!

Nothing but crappy writers trying to make absurd fans happy by trying to turn everybody into the next Hulk or Magneto. Thankfully The Boys doesn't seem at all interested in going anywhere near that poomega-level mutant nonsense.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Also I think omega mutant things aside that Homelander has the most valuable power set.

Unlimited source of lasers capable of cutting entire crowds into pieces? Awesome, we have an unlimited green power source.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    It's been a while since I read the comic through, but I remember being pleased that the supes' abilities received detailed attention rarely and only to the extent that Butcher and co. would have to come up with novel ways to kill them. X-Men is welcome to nerd out about kewl powerz, but The Boys is fundamentally about looking at a son of a bitch with impervious skin and saying "maybe if we shove the explosives up his ass..."

If I had Deep’s power set you could find me spending most of the day floating in a big, warm pool.

Quid wrote: »
    If I had Deep’s power set you could find me spending most of the day floating in a big, warm pool.

And not paying taxes. YOU SON OF A BITCH QUID!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Under the sea, under the sea,
    There'll be no accusations,
    Just friendly crustaceans
    Under the sea.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Under the sea, under the sea,
    There'll be no accusations,
    Just friendly crustaceans
    Under the sea.

Damn it Deep, that's your answer for everything

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    "I will get a dolphin to hang out with you for a half hour for a million dollars."

There's at least a few dozen people with the money willing to pay that. It's too bad Deep is more concerned with fame.

He could find a load of ill dolphins and help them achieve their dream of swimming with humans

• RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Brought to you by the makers of "Homelander is Stormfront's Grandson"

the new and improved wacky conspiracy:

Black Noir dies of his peanut allergy and is replaced by a regenerated Stormfront so they can do that reveal in Season 4.

I have issues, I know.

https://youtu.be/DkxFko8NV6Q

season 2 bloopers with even more homelander drinking milk action.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I finished the second trade paperback. It’s like a really, really pessimistic Astro City.

God, how many gallons of milk did that poor guy have to drink?

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Clearly, lactose intolerance is not his weakness.

see317 wrote: »

Clearly, lactose intolerance is not his weakness.

not sure i'd consider that a weakness for Homelander. I'd imagine he'd be ten times as terrifying if he had atomic lactose farts.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    This still the current thread? Watched the first episode of season 3 tonight, and that was definitely an thing that happened.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    This still the current thread? Watched the first episode of season 3 tonight, and that was definitely an thing that happened.

Oh yes.

It sure was a thing that happened.

Season is three episodes in and feels like it’s going at an immense break neck pace.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It's so good, but I don't know how they can keep this going much longer
    if Homelander just doesn't give a fuck anymore. He's threatened to sink New York for the fun of it if pushed.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I just watched the first episode.

Just wow. That was quite something.

• RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    My wife and I are both happy that
    Black Noir is actually a black guy. The whole Homelander clone in the comics reveal was rather uninspired. The TV show has a much better take on Black Noir so far.

Raiju on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Black Noir is actually a black guy. The whole Homelander clone in the comics reveal was rather uninspired. The TV show has a much better take on Black Noir so far.

It seems wildly inconsistent though.
    He tanked a house explosion yet his face was mega messed up by regular arms there. Unless the rebels were using this special weapon, but I think the weapon is ultimately just a red herring,

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    My wife and I watched the first episode last night. This was the exchange:
    Her: Oh my God, he's going in his butthole? Ew.
    Me: That's not his butthole.
    Her: *shocked into stunned silence*

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    Raiju wrote: »

It seems wildly inconsistent though.
    He tanked a house explosion yet his face was mega messed up by regular arms there. Unless the rebels were using this special weapon, but I think the weapon is ultimately just a red herring,

Yeah, I think
    Soldier Boy is still alive - either he was a double agent back in the 80s, or the Soviets took him in to try and reverse-engineer Compound V (Compound B?)