As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I guess my point is, the world is a shitty enough place with the orange dictator, a pandemic, global warming etc. that sometimes, you could just let people enjoy and discuss their movies somewhat guilt free.

Some people have not left their homes in months and really watched anything that they could find

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I guess my point is, the world is a shitty enough place with the orange dictator, a pandemic, global warming etc. that sometimes, you could just let people enjoy and discuss their movies somewhat guilt free.

so because there's bad things we should ignore bad things

well that should sure help with the bad things

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there are in fact multiple instances of people discussing movies and enjoying them without anyone talking about bad people because there weren't any in those movies

like x-men origins wolverine

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I feel like three or four pages ago we were discussing the X-Men movies positively and there's like, one director in the core franchise who isn't a huge piece of shit

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the thing is that someone commenting about someone being bad is not them being a mischievous gremlin who is attempting to rob you of your joy, it is a lamentation on their part that they are seeking joy but can no longer find it in that location because of badman

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I can be outraged about many things at once. This is exactly why I have a book of grudges.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Informed consumption is just, like, generally good practice overall.

And it doesn’t even mean you can’t enjoy a thing that has problems! It’s been said so many times on here by folks that it’s entirely possible to enjoy something while also being critical of it.

Everyone’s moral compasses are different, and consistently working on aligning them is far more beneficial to society than simply pretending issues with things don’t exist in order to be happy in the moment.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

And it doesn’t even mean you can’t enjoy a thing that has problems! It’s been said so many times on here by folks that it’s entirely possible to enjoy something while also being critical of it.

Everyone’s moral compasses are different, and consistently working on aligning them is far more beneficial to society than simply pretending issues with things don’t exist in order to be happy in the moment.

Yeah I get that it’s hard for people to square it sometimes, hearing people be critical of a work or someone who made it and not feel like they’re also being criticized for enjoying it. But you gotta master that feeling if you want to enjoy anything these days

And damn it we should take our friggin’ joy where we can in this miserable fucking hellscape

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

If you are guilty of doing some shit, I would argue that being constantly reminded of it, especially if you keep fucking doing it, is probably better for you, in the long run, whether you enjoy those reminders or not.

Edit: then again, I was raised Catholic, so, y’know, grain of salt.

sarukun on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I don't hate Jon Stewart, I'm preemptively exhausted by this show. For better or worse, you were the main guy for two full administrations. Let it go. We don't need your voice anymore, especially if that terrible movie is any indication of the tone you will be taking. And I know this isn't his fault, exactly, but Apple could instead hire, I don't know, literally any POC? Well not Candace Owens, but you get the point

Coinage on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Coinage wrote: »
    I don't hate Jon Stewart, I'm preemptively exhausted by this show. For better or worse, you were the main guy for two full administrations. Let it go. We don't need your voice anymore, especially if that terrible movie is any indication of the tone you will be taking. And I know this isn't his fault, exactly, but Apple could instead hire, I don't know, literally any POC? Well not Candace Owens, but you get the point
    They have made a variety of original tv shows and movies. You could look them up.
    edit- You'd probably have to. AppleTV+ is irrelevant and them hiring a washed up has been is the first time we've ever talked about them.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

Yeah I get that it’s hard for people to square it sometimes, hearing people be critical of a work or someone who made it and not feel like they’re also being criticized for enjoying it. But you gotta master that feeling if you want to enjoy anything these days

And damn it we should take our friggin’ joy where we can in this miserable fucking hellscape

I counter ethical consumption by being so poor that by the time something is old enough to go on a sale I can afford, my dollar barely matters at that point (and is usually a literal dollar)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I understand the idea of it being exhausting. Sometimes you might want to go through the day without thinking about all of the negative shit going on in the world.

But that’s a privilege that you have. Talking about a Weinstein movie while ignoring the shitty things he’s done is our privilege since we weren’t sexually assaulted by him. Imagine the people who have to see THE WEINSTEIN COMPANY pop up on movie after movie and every time it does they get taken back to one of the worst moments of their life.

It’s important that stuff is remembered and as soon as we stop talking about it it gets forgotten.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Apple+ got me Ted Lasso. One of my surprise favorite shows of the year!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I can be outraged about many things at once. This is exactly why I have a book of grudges.

Oh I didn't realize you were a Longbeard.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm always ready to believe that Hollywood fucked up a beloved juvenile fiction property by needlessly aging up the characters, but I've never really understood what age group Animorphs was aimed at. Like, the characters were probably in high school, which suggests a middle school audience, since the rule of thumb is that kids like to read about characters slightly older than themselves.

But if that's the case, why all the body horror and PTSD? Why David, for the love of god?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I loved Animorphs, body horror, PTSD and all

• Options
    the kids in Animorphs were canonically 13 at the start of the series

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Animorphs taught me some shit about the horrors of war

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kids love dark shit, weird shit, shit that doesn't condescend to them. It's kind of a myth that they don't want to be challenged by art.

• Options
    The thing is that kids can handle a lot more than they're given credit for, and they actively seek out gross shit all the time

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I unfortunately never read all of Animorphs, but from what I understand many fans thought the ending was too grim. The author basically responded with "good, that was what I was going for; war is horrible and I wanted to make sure you know it."

BTW, the first of a series of Animorphs graphic novels retelling the original books just came out.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Kids (including tweens) always think that being a child soldier magical girl/giant robot pilot/secret alien fighter would be so cool and awesome and fun, and the media marketed to them is usually carefully, selectively cut to show them only the exciting parts without everything that makes adults recoil in horror (and hug their own children more tightly) at the very idea.
    Usually.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so sixth grade was a weird time for me. puberty started and I kinda shot forward to cynical coffee-drinking college student before rubberbanding back to regular sad teen
    one of my teachers, my English teacher, no less, got on me because I was reading Hannibal instead of something she considered age appropriate.
    I was like "I shouldn't be reading Hannibal, but only because it's not very good so far. Mind your business."

God, she sucked. She was one of those people who get into a career, realize that they're not very good at it, and then they make that everyone else's problem.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    she tried to keep the school from having us read Night by Elie Wiesel because she didn't think the book was "worth" children learning that the Holocaust happened.

seriously, fuck that lady.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My second-grade teacher made me get a note from my mom saying it was okay for me to read Michael Crichton books

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As someone who read Jurassic Park multiple times possibly back to back your teacher was correct to require that note I wouldn't want that on my conscience either

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    she tried to keep the school from having us read Night by Elie Wiesel because she didn't think the book was "worth" children learning that the Holocaust happened.

seriously, fuck that lady.

This teacher is making me exceedingly angry and I would actually yell at her if she was at my school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My second-grade teacher made me get a note from my mom saying it was okay for me to read Michael Crichton books

I was also this kid.

Dad lit is in my bones.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I was also this kid.

Dad lit is in my bones.

same as well

my mom loved his stuff so I got it no problem

it was 3rd grade for me though

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I was also this kid.

Dad lit is in my bones.

By middle school I was hitting that pure, uncut Clive Cussler

Parents, don't let your kids fall into dad lit. Spot the warning signs, intervene early.

• Options
    As a child I was reading Michael Crichton Stephen King Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy and that folks is fucking low grade parenting right there

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't think I started reading dad lit until sixth grade or so

I also read my stepmom's secondhand paperbacks so I read a fair bit of Mom Lit as well, which is why I still have a some-might-say surprising depth of knowledge about Anne Rice books

• Options
    Oh Jesus christ I forgot about Anne Rice

Anything! Anything! Make me read anything good!!

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm always ready to believe that Hollywood fucked up a beloved juvenile fiction property by needlessly aging up the characters, but I've never really understood what age group Animorphs was aimed at. Like, the characters were probably in high school, which suggests a middle school audience, since the rule of thumb is that kids like to read about characters slightly older than themselves.

But if that's the case, why all the body horror and PTSD? Why David, for the love of god?

I started reading animorphs in second grade and in retrospect it's a good thing that I never talked to anyone about the plot. Just went with, "I like it cause they turn into animals," instead of, "I must read 40+ of these books because I am gripped by terror at what is happening to these characters."

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I also read my stepmom's secondhand paperbacks so I read a fair bit of Mom Lit as well, which is why I still have a some-might-say surprising depth of knowledge about Anne Rice books

Not to mention Clan of the Cave Bear.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I remember reading a book as a kid about a bunch of Tolkien-esque Orcs discovering like a cache of US Military weapons in their fantasy kingdom. And they decided they were sick of getting a raw deal in the war of good and evil and just start mowing down elves and knights with machine guns in graphic detail. There were also hobbits that like were serial killers and child murderers. Also in graphic detail

But Im also like 50 percent sure that was a fever dream

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

Not to mention Clan of the Cave Bear.

clan of the cave bear was so goddamn horny

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I remember reading a book as a kid about a bunch of Tolkien-esque Orcs discovering like a cache of US Military weapons in their fantasy kingdom. And they decided they were sick of getting a raw deal in the war of good and evil and just start mowing down elves and knights with machine guns in graphic detail. There were also hobbits that like were serial killers and child murderers. Also in graphic detail

But Im also like 50 percent sure that was a fever dream
    220px-Grunts%21.jpg

This discussion has been closed.