As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    We ended up buying every type of sippy cup we could find at Target and Walmart. I forget which one he ended up using but in the end we got her using the 360 cups and never went back. Their awesome and though they can still spill a bit it’s not as bad as other cups.

50433.png?1708759015
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Sippie cups. Anyone got suggestions for first ones? She grabs my nephew's, who's 2 , but can never get a drink out of them. With milk, she lays down, and holds it. So far she's not successful at sitting up and drinking.

One thing we've noticed is when we have drinks with straws, she seems to suck up and drink. So maybe the solution is a straw based sippy cup. She just hit one year old so just looking for suggestions and such that we can look at and know it's worked for other people .

Camelbak eddy's are pretty great and are easier to clean.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    We have 3 of these tommee tippee and I hate them. The lids are really, really, hard to unscrew, they leak, and the handle always ends up rotating under the locking tabs which means you can't get it off without stressing the hell out of the plastic

t5gnjvnhg6w3.jpeg

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    We ended up buying every type of sippy cup we could find at Target and Walmart. I forget which one he ended up using but in the end we got her using the 360 cups and never went back. Their awesome and though they can still spill a bit it’s not as bad as other cups.

The 360 cups are great, and they're good practice for transitioning to regular cups.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Overheard at dinner earlier this week:

"Daddy, I like three vegetables: broccoli, carrots, and meat!"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I was walking around without socks, and my daughter asked something that led to this exchange,

Me: "I have bare feet."

Sapling: "You're not a bear."

Me: "You are correct."

Sapling: "No, I'm [Sapling]. Silly papa."

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited October 2020
    MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My gf went to visit her parents and a friend about 2 hours away. Car broke down , her parents are assholes. They have 4 cars but can we borrow one or get a ride home? Nope. First night without my baby girl and first night probably in 4 years I don't have my gf.

Have to drive my parents truck down tomorrow, get the car to a shop, and hope it's just the alternator.

I'm a fucking wreck.

Edit this is the first night I've been away from my baby since she was born. Guess I have to get used to it sometime, but fuck her grand parents. I'm not getting to sleep.tonught.

RickRude on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    We got something like this

nuk_mini_magic_cup_set_1_l.png

First the right one. Theres silicone valve in there so to baby has to suck on it and it doesn't spill. Then a few month later the left one which is one of those 360 cups. the lid in front just turn it into a mor or less normal open drinking cup for 12 months and later. The other one from tat line is the straw cup, also for 12 months plus.
    nuk_hello_adventure_action_cup_1_l_1.png
    Ours hasn't taken to that yet and uses the 360° cup lid on the larger cup without the handles from the straw cup.

honovere on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    My gf went to visit her parents and a friend about 2 hours away. Car broke down , her parents are assholes. They have 4 cars but can we borrow one or get a ride home? Nope. First night without my baby girl and first night probably in 4 years I don't have my gf.

Have to drive my parents truck down tomorrow, get the car to a shop, and hope it's just the alternator.

I'm a fucking wreck.

Edit this is the first night I've been away from my baby since she was born. Guess I have to get used to it sometime, but fuck her grand parents. I'm not getting to sleep.tonught.

Dude, that is fucking awful. How's the car?

:so_raven:

Our children stand no chance of not getting embarrassed in the future.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I mean, they'll have every right to be pissed at their parents for posting photos of them to the public internet when they were too young to consent.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Where's the eye roll smiley?

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm serious. Showing photos to friends and family is one thing. Posting them where anyone can see them, knowing that nothing ever goes away? That's violating the privacy of a person who will be an adult someday, and it baffles me that it's considered ok. Children aren't pets.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm also serious. Could really use an eye roll smiley right now.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't think Calica is wrong in the grand scheme of things. Trying to use social media as a cute family scrapbook is kind of not a great idea imo.

Now I don't think the video MNC Dover posted above is a problem or anything but I've 100% watched friends and family post things about their kids as a joke that you know what? Yeah, their kid might not be a huge fan of it being out there because people seem to have a very hard time remembering that social media has an incredible number of issues with privacy.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    One hugely frustrating thing to me as I have a teenager who tends to "forget" when they have homework is that the school doesn't force the teachers to put their assignments in one place. They have PowerSchool which tracks every grade when the assignment is done but only two of the 6 teachers put upcoming assignments there. So it's rough to try and find assignments when I have to look at PowerSchool, Google Classroom, and a personal website for all of it. You're using PowerSchool to put all the grades in anyways, why not put the upcoming assignments there?

Also 9th grade is such a huuuuuuge change for kids.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    One hugely frustrating thing to me as I have a teenager who tends to "forget" when they have homework is that the school doesn't force the teachers to put their assignments in one place. They have PowerSchool which tracks every grade when the assignment is done but only two of the 6 teachers put upcoming assignments there. So it's rough to try and find assignments when I have to look at PowerSchool, Google Classroom, and a personal website for all of it. You're using PowerSchool to put all the grades in anyways, why not put the upcoming assignments there?

That all sounds like a massive lack of attention to detail that came about because we were shunted into remote learning without proper planning. My college figured that out ten years ago, but same growing pains at the beginning.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Because my 15 year old is actively trying to fail 10th grade, it’s becoming more and more a pain to see what he has to do for homework. This last quarter? 4 C’s and a F. His F was a 40(something)% only because I sat down with him this past weekend and we went through his assignments otherwise he’d be damn close to a 0%. The teacher only emailed us the week of to tell us he was in danger of a 0. I can’t remember shit about Geometry so us both guessing our way through things for about 6 hours was indeed a lot of fun. Now I FINALLY have a way to look at his math stuff, which is in a completely different system than all his other classes. In fact it doesn’t even report his grade in the other system like all the others. But , when in this other system, it shows all assignments not done, which we skipped a bunch and only focused on the ones that counted the most. So you look at what he has to do? A whole bunch and I have to click and out to figure which is due this quarter and then look at the date to see if it’s due now or later. FUN!

We asked his Pediatrician to test him for more learning disabilities other than ADHD and now we have to do it through the school. We sent the appropriate email and saw a reply saying their trying to schedule it for the 10th of Nov. The boy just doesn’t care. I mean I know teenagers are moody and what not, but they should have a bit of care that they are in danger of repeating the whole year over?

50433.png?1708759015
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I like teachers, but seriously,
    The teacher only emailed us the week of to tell us he was in danger of a 0
    is a gross failure of the teacher.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    I like teachers, but seriously,
    The teacher only emailed us the week of to tell us he was in danger of a 0
    is a gross failure of the teacher.

It's unfortunately seemingly like this is not an uncommon thing. My roommate's 17 year old has been having trouble and while some of that is absolutely on her a lot of it is on the school as well. They tried to get in touch with one of her teachers regarding assignments and the response they got was basically "My open office hours are from 3-4pm alternating Wednesdays. I look forward to speaking with you next week." and it's like... hahaha fuckin' what?

And on one hand I absolutely get it. K-12 teachers basically had the rug pulled out from under them with the world going "lol remote learning GO" and from what I hear the training has ranged from decent to abysmal but learning heavily towards the latter for a number of reasons.

On the other hand maybe don't just shrug when a student is failing a class because no assignments are getting turned in properly?

The previously mentioned 17 year old was literally failing two classes because the assignments had to be turned in on the app and be emailed directly to the teachers. Her understanding was that the email thing only had to be done if the app wasn't updating because that was the case for her other four classes. But those two teachers counted everything as incomplete if they didn't get emails as well. Neither teacher notified her parents or step parents about the missing assignments. Instead she got in trouble for not getting her stuff done when her grades got checked (great for a kid with learning issues and self esteem problems). But she was swearing up and down she did the assignment so my roommate dug into it and found out it was the teachers requiring the emails as well. Eventually both teachers agreed to count the assignments and update the grades but only after my roommate threatened to go to the administration.

tl:dr I'm super glad I'm neither a teacher nor a parent with a kid in school these days.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    There's some teachers that are really trying, then others that are like "I'm bad with technology, this is now your problem" - which is bullshit. Also the admin being cowardly and not setting clear standards.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Honestly, having been a kid in that situation, I don't think the lack of contact is a COVID specific thing. Most teachers seem to feel that by HS, if you aren't going to do your shit, tattling to your parents isn't going to fix it. In all of the classes that I had similar issues with, the teacher would give me a few reminders, and then accept that I had chosen to fail. However, I can't think of one teacher, that when I expressed an interest in fixing my mistakes, didn't seem honestly interested in helping me find a way to fix things. There were definitely times where there wasn't a reasonable fix for them to offer, but they were at least sympathetic and nice about it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    Honestly, having been a kid in that situation, I don't think the lack of contact is a COVID specific thing. Most teachers seem to feel that by HS, if you aren't going to do your shit, tattling to your parents isn't going to fix it. In all of the classes that I had similar issues with, the teacher would give me a few reminders, and then accept that I had chosen to fail. However, I can't think of one teacher, that when I expressed an interest in fixing my mistakes, didn't seem honestly interested in helping me find a way to fix things. There were definitely times where there wasn't a reasonable fix for them to offer, but they were at least sympathetic and nice about it.

I can see that reasoning but at the same time I never would have expressed any interest in fixing my mistakes as a teen because fuck you, I don't make mistakes, motherfucker.
    (Except rofl of course you do, you dipshit teenager. The fact that you can get As and Bs by just showing up to class isn't proof that you don't fuck up, dumbass.)

For roommate's kiddo it's more that a teacher taking a stance of "You chose to fail" results in her thinking "Fuck, I knew it. I actually am a stupid piece of shit. Why do I even try when of course this was going to be what happens?"

Now I don't think that's what the teachers are intending at all, and I have no doubt in a face to face interaction that wouldn't be what they convey but face to face isn't really happening right now.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm serious. Showing photos to friends and family is one thing. Posting them where anyone can see them, knowing that nothing ever goes away? That's violating the privacy of a person who will be an adult someday, and it baffles me that it's considered ok. Children aren't pets.

I used to post pictures of my kids in the se++ thread all the time until my eldest was old enough to start complaining about me doing that. Then I realized she was right and I stopped. Now I only post my youngest and only in poses where she's not easily identifiable. I typically take it down after a day or so since it was only the forum regulars I wanted to show it to anyway.

I think consent is important for one's kids. If they're not old enough to consent you should make sure that you remove the photos after a few days--at the least--so as not to create much of an internet imprint.

That said, MNC probably doesn't need to worry much right now since babies change a lot and won't be so very identifiable with their older appearance; but it is definitely something to keep in mind.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Henry turned 7 yesterday. Tonight he walked into the kitchen where my wife was doing dishes and said "Mom, since I'm 7 now, I'm a man, and men help with the dishes." And proceeded to help with the dishes. The kid is going to make someone very happy in about 15-20 years.

And before anyone says anything, I wasn't helping with dishes because I was ripping out drywall.

nibXTE7.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Henry turned 7 yesterday. Tonight he walked into the kitchen where my wife was doing dishes and said "Mom, since I'm 7 now, I'm a man, and men help with the dishes." And proceeded to help with the dishes. The kid is going to make someone very happy in about 15-20 years.

And before anyone says anything, I wasn't helping with dishes because I was ripping out drywall.

That's so cool. I say "Men do X!" When doing chores in front of my daughter so hopefully she's learning that a house is a team effort and boys can cook and clean and do laundry, they're not girl jobs.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

That's so cool. I say "Men do X!" When doing chores in front of my daughter so hopefully she's learning that a house is a team effort and boys can cook and clean and do laundry, they're not girl jobs.

My kids do think that some jobs are daddy jobs and some are Mummy jobs, but thats only because their mother is a terrible cook and the kids complain when she does so I do that, and she despises anyone else trying to stack the dishwasher or do the laundry so I only do that when she is out of town :)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Today in "Things my kid does that are so cute I have to post about them":

It's about 10:00 pm and Mrs. Undead and I are watching our shows in the living room. Down comes mini-dead, bleary-eyed, clutching one of her stuffed toys, which is wrapped in a blanket.

Before we can scold her for being out of bed, she goes: "Mom, dad, can you watch her (her stuffie) please? She's sick and I'm trying to get some sleep."

Mom took the stuffie and "tucked her in" besides her, promising that we'd keep an eye on her. Mini dead mumbles "thanks" before heading back upstairs.

My wife then proceeds to die from cuteness overload.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

It's about 10:00 pm and Mrs. Undead and I are watching our shows in the living room. Down comes mini-dead, bleary-eyed, clutching one of her stuffed toys, which is wrapped in a blanket.

Before we can scold her for being out of bed, she goes: "Mom, dad, can you watch her (her stuffie) please? She's sick and I'm trying to get some sleep."

Mom took the stuffie and "tucked her in" besides her, promising that we'd keep an eye on her. Mini dead mumbles "thanks" before heading back upstairs.

"we'll make her a hot cocoa and take care of her, honey"

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

"can I have hot cocoa?"

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    schuss wrote: »

"can I have hot cocoa?"

"sure"

sweet as that, can't hardly say no

our kiddo will lay blankets over all of her stuffed animals and give them a little pat-pat-pat after she's done tucking them in :biggrin:

it's also really joyful because she's either getting it from us or daycare, and wherever she's picking it up I know that it's behavior worth mirroring. We take care of friends.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Thats so great. The other day I was walking the new baby trying to help him sleep and I look behind me and notice my 4.5 year old is standing ten feet behind me holding one of his stuffed animals doing the same thing.

:so_raven:
    Hot cocoa or candy turns my children into giggling wolverines.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    My wife gave birth to our first the other day. Becoming a father is am amazing experience but I somehow feel incredibly busy and useless at the same time. I really wish I could do more to take the load off of my wife.
    At the moment I am holding him so she can sleep until the next cluster feed begins.
    I've never been so tired.
    Thanks @CroakerBC for your advice!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Also why are babies born with freakishly sharp Sabertooth like fingernails that they use to immediately scratch their face and arms.

This seems like an evolutionary... Disadvantage.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My wife gave birth to our first the other day. Becoming a father is am amazing experience but I somehow feel incredibly busy and useless at the same time. I really wish I could do more to take the load off of my wife.
    At the moment I am holding him so she can sleep until the next cluster feed begins.
    I've never been so tired.
    Thanks @CroakerBC for your advice!

@Antinumeric I have a one year old and felt the same thing. I felt useless. Just support your wife and do what you can. Skin to skin snuggling, and supporting your wife.

I still remember those days and she hated me then compared to mommy, but she's my angel now.

RickRude on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Having a kid tends to make you realize that our species sucks at reproducing. Evolutionary pressure is not at all obvious when it comes to humans.
    To be clear, yes, evolution is real :), we're just a species where for example the position in which our young sleep has a noticeable effect on survival, and they are unable to adjust that for a long while.

Aim on
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I miss the days of kangaroo care and snuggling with a sleepy newborn! Cherish the good moments when you find them and try to take pictures because your brain will be a fog of memories for the kiddo's first couple months. Having a silly toddler is definitely fun too, I love her excited "DADA!!!" she yells when she runs up and gives me a giant hug after getting picked up from daycare. Best part of my day by far.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Also why are babies born with freakishly sharp Sabertooth like fingernails that they use to immediately scratch their face and arms.

This seems like an evolutionary... Disadvantage.

Mittens. Get little mittens. Both cute and prevents them from gouging out their eyes!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile