As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    The voice actress for Elmyra confirmed that the character will NOT be returning in this show, btw.

Clearly they're saving her to be the big bad of season 3.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You keep the shows and then raise the prices, you don't cancel the shows and also raise the prices!

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You keep the shows and then raise the prices, you don't cancel the shows and also raise the prices!

Adam Sandler isn't free

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

Again? The only reason I haven't cancelled already is mum and sis still watch it occasionally but even they are moaning about the service now. If this price rise comes to the UK they can piss off.

edit: I feel like there just was one here though.

danx on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Prices raising in the states, already happened in Canada. Dropped a tier on ours, I don't give a shit about 4k to be honest and it's just my wife and I so don't need to stream on 50 screens at once.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Prices trending toward HBO, with content trending toward Crackle. Fuck off, Netflix.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I have such a love hate relationship with netflix. Why do you keep abusing me baby?

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I have such a love hate relationship with netflix. Why do you keep abusing me baby?

It costs a lot of money to make 1000+ pieces of content in a year.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Prices trending toward HBO, with content trending toward Crackle. Fuck off, Netflix.

Yeah, HBO is really overpriced, I agree.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

Conspiracy theory, only raising price on the top tier is them saying "We have their commitment, if we boost the price they will both take it and it will impact their ability to fund other streaming services"

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Aphostile wrote: »

The monkey they hire to hit the Make Content button 1000 times on the Procedurally Generated Showatron 9000 doesn't work for free, you know.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think I'm still coming ahead by covering Netflix while my brother covers Hulu.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2020
    If you could recommend one or two animes on the streaming services, what would you go with?

Edit: Something with limited number of episodes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    If you could recommend one or two animes on the streaming services, what would you go with?

this little known fighting anime I think its called Dragon ball zebra or something, very artisanal small number of eps.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The monkey they hire to hit the Make Content button 1000 times on the Procedurally Generated Showatron 9000 doesn't work for free, you know.

I could copy and paste a giant list of everything released in the last 365 days, but why bother?

Isn’t it cool how many shows Disney has released in the last year?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Pop Team Epic, currently on both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

• Options
    Oh geez wait, what’s the count for HBO? 5? 6?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Netflix should have:

K-On! is on Netflix, fantastic and cute slice of life comedy, 39 wonderful episodes
    Girls und Panzer is stupid amazing fun about a world where girl schools fight in tanks, 13 UwU episodes
    One Punch Man is better than the MCU, 13 episodes of nice animation
    Great Pretender is fun Catch Me If You Can/Ocean's modern heist comedy, 20 something episodes

• Options

I could copy and paste a giant list of everything released in the last 365 days, but why bother?

I don't subscribe to Disney+.

Netflix has value, though of a decreasing amount to me. But the vast majority of the stuff they make is bland as shit. I don't consider the 36 identical looking rom coms they churned out last year a being a huge value add.

And you're correct, itemizing all the stuff they made i don't care about would be pointless.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Netflix (Canada at least) has a couple seasons of Food War! which is bizarrely engaging. You want to see an old naked french man floating in a giant pot of honey after an orgasmic meal, right?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Hmmm, might be close to quitting time for me.

I’ll see if my 10 year old niece will accept a swap for Disney Plus, so I can watch The Mandelorian...

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

All of these are on Netflix:

For something relatively grounded: I started Erased on on a whim and ended up binge watching all twelve episodes in one night. Great Pretender's pretty good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwmxEAWjTQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZaqRLKjY10

For something more fantastical: Madoka Magica's nearly ten years old now, but it's still one of my absolute favorites (plus apparently the 2019 HBO teen drama Euphoria has a character who mentions Madoka Magica is her favorite show and even has fanart of the characters as her phone wallpaper, so I'm gonna look into that out of curiosity). Brand New Animal is also a really fun one created by one of my favorite animators that had a way crazier plot than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZknpyKkHIvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8dp-AGonE

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Who cares. Hurf durf Netflix has only garbage shows. That must be it.

I'm out (again).

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Beastars is pretty great. Netflix also has (most of?) Attack on Titan. I think with one more season coming sooner or later.

Evangelion is on Netflix too. I enjoyed Devilman Crybaby as well.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The lack of new Jojo on Netflix is disappointing to say the least.
    Check out Dorohedoro though. That show is great!

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I enjoyed Devilman Crybaby as well.

Well just throw him in the deep end of the crazy pool, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww06yGPM7Kc

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh geez wait, what’s the count for HBO? 5? 6?

Yes, and all 5 or 6 are great, and none will likely be canceled on a cliffhanger because they can't afford Timothy fucking Olyphant's paycheck. Not that he's cheap, but he ain't exactly Tom Cruise.

Can't remember shit like that happening on HBO since...Carnivale? Ever since they realized the value of back catalog (through DVD sales then, through building a streaming selection now) I can't remember them strangling a show in the crib like that. And of course HBO has a back catalog for days, I still haven't dug into Treme yet.

And in all seriousness, HBO usually has somewhere on the order of 20 shows going at a time, and usually around 6 or 7 dramas. Offhand right now they have Westworld, Lovecraft Country, Perry Mason, Barry, Righteous Gemstones, and Succession, all of which are great. That's ignoring recent limited series like Watchmen or Chernobyl. And supposedly another True Detective someday. Plus Last Week Tonight.

Like, you're literally making the quantity over quality argument...which is one of the number one criticisms I see (and make) of Netflix. Sorry, Black Summer is dogshit and any service hosting it and pretending it's something anybody should be watching should be ashamed. Having a thousand shows is not in and of itself a selling point, I don't have time to watch that much stuff. When I get to the point that the only show Netflix can suggest is what appears to be a weird Cruel Intentions knockoff with pretty Spanish kids, I think that maybe...just maybe...it suggests that Netflix's catalog is a little to broad, and not quite deep enough. It always feels like an algorithm shitting out a thousand shows hoping that one or two are good enough to get me to click them and dink around on my phone while they play on my television, and keep me paying monthly to not pay too much attention to them.

Granted, HBO was making noises like they wanted to adopt that model too. Because it does seem to work, Netflix has a hojillion dollars. But that still makes me sad. I like that I can click literally any show on HBO and, while it may or may not be to my taste, it will at least be quality. None of it will be the equivalent of a 90's direct-to-video movie starring Eric Roberts. But maybe with zombies. HBO doesn't waste timeslots on that.

EDIT: And of course HBO Max's content goes way beyond just HBO proper now.

EDIT: I also think it's funny to be branded as a knee-jerk Netflix hater when I'd had the service...pretty much uninterrupted...since like 2005 or 2006. Back when there was no Watch Now option, and they didn't even had a DVD distribution center in my state, I had to wait two days each way for postage. Still loved it. But looking at what Netflix has become makes me miss video stores. Even the late fees.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If you don't think Netflix is worth the money, then I don't see how an argument could be made for any streaming service. Netflix is constantly releasing show and movies. I watch almost all of it. It's a proper replacement for cable, imo.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If you don't think Netflix is worth the money, then I don't see how an argument could be made for any streaming service. Netflix is constantly releasing show and movies. I watch almost all of it. It's a proper replacement for cable, imo.

The value of any given service is based on your personal viewing habits. It doesn't matter if they have a billion new releases if the ones you care about are gone.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Incenjucar wrote: »

The value of any given service is based on your personal viewing habits. It doesn't matter if they have a billion new releases if the ones you care about are gone.

That's a good point, I guess. I need lots of new content and no other service can keep up. HBO is good for a single night a week but it's a constant solid couple hours of content every week for a single night. Amazon's quality and quantity is tons worse than Netflix. Hulu is good for maybe a few nights a week. I haven't watched D+ in forever, although that will change this week. All my other screen time comes from Netflix and they pump out enough content to keep all my other screen time filled.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

What sort of show are you looking for? And are you looking for dubs or are you ok with subs?

These are shows on Netflix, though I don't know how many of them have dubs:

Haikyu's a still ongoing sports anime about volleyball. The first two seasons are on Netflix. It's fantastic, in my opinion probably the best sports anime ever made, but I may be biased.

March Comes in Like a Lion is a show about a high schooler who's a professional shogi player, but it's mainly about him sort of figuring out his life and how to connect with other people and how their lives in turn affect him. Season 2 pays off in a big way a bunch of stuff set up in the first season.

Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are both sort of rule of cool shows, with Kill la Kill being the hornier of the two. If you want a show that'll make you say "fuck, that was cool," these two are solid bets.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K is about a psychic who basically tries to blend in and be hassled as little as possible but is surrounded by a bunch of hilarious and to him, obnoxious, characters. His powers are absurdly OP and it's funny to see him use them to try and be left alone and unnoticed. A very funny show with a very high tempo to the dialog.

The Promised Neverland is basically a season of kids plotting and scheming and whatnot to escape from an orphanage they live at. It's got some of the anime tropey "hah, but I was planning for you to do that all along!" type anime-genius stuff, but other than that, it's a pretty fun show.

One Punch Man is about a superhero who can kill any monster in one punch and it's about his life and his sort of carefree-ness and boredom at having no real challenge or danger. It's funny and the fight animation is fantastic.

Girls und Panzer is about a group of girls in a tankery club at their school, which is basically a futuristic school sport where teams use modified versions of WW2 tanks that are somehow built to be safe to fire at each other and be shot and whatnot (it's dumb, so just ignore it) and face off with other schools in them. It's fun and the premise is super silly and dumb but it somehow works as a show.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FWIW, I'm not dropping Netflix yet, mostly because there are still shows from other networks i want to binge. I'll probably drop from 4k to HD though, to keep the price from increasing, and because the bandwidth just isn't high enough to deliver a quality 4K picture.

There are a few Netflix originals I like, it's just more a question of if I maintain a subscription, or do like with HBO and subscribe for two months a year and binge through whatever is worth it from the past year.

• Options

I mean, let's look at my personal My List for a moment. I had like 50 things on there, shows and movies. Of those, at least 2/3 had sat on there for, like, a year...I was clearly never going to watch them, I put them on there because I was scrolling one day and thought "well, this looks like it might be good enough to waste a night on." But then that night comes, and I'd rather play Hades than watch Money Heist. Or the later seasons of Shameless. I'm never gonna watch that shit.

Speaking of, about half the stuff on My List was not actually from Netflix. Like somebody earlier talking about Fargo, and how they hadn't seen any announcement about that on Netflix. Well of course not, because like most of the things I was watching (or pretending I'd someday watch) on Netflix it was something that premiered on another outlet and came to Netflix later. FX (where Fargo actually premieres), like HBO but to a lesser degree, focuses on quality at least a bit more than quantity...this is a natural result of being a linear TV outlet, you have limited time slots to fill. They've slid downhill a bit recently though.

I do suppose that if you have that volume of time to fill with television, Netflix is superior to HBO. Though with HBO Max adding a lot of other content (including CW content, anime, etc.) I think that gap is closing. Netflix can definitely fill a cable-sized appetite for constant new content, though frankly I think you still get much higher quality at that volume with cable or a cable substitute (like YouTube TV). I feel like the value proposition is better even if the price is higher. Then again, I do watch sports...

As for your original question, how can I justify any streaming service if I think Netflix is too expensive? It's because I'm not looking for quantity. I think that Westworld, Righteous Gemstones, Perry Mason, and Lovecraft Country are worth a couple bucks more than Enola Holmes, Stranger Things, Ratched, and The Queen's Gambit. If I'm not running out of content on HBO, then what matters is which slate of shows are better out of those that I have time to watch on the respective platforms. I'm never watching Black Summer or Elite, so the fact that they exist is irrelevant.

In fairness though, I also have Amazon Prime Video, and likely always will, so it's easier for me to run out of time before I run out of TV. Even absent that, though, I'd probably be able to get by just fine with just HBO Max and an over-the-air antenna plus homebrew DVR; I've done that route before, and there's a ton of shit on regular old TV.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I don't subscribe to Disney+.

Netflix has value, though of a decreasing amount to me. But the vast majority of the stuff they make is bland as shit. I don't consider the 36 identical looking rom coms they churned out last year a being a huge value add.

And you're correct, itemizing all the stuff they made i don't care about would be pointless.

I mean in the last year I've watched:
    The Witcher (watched it three times through now and it's gotten better every time)
    The Queen's Gambit (fantastic miniseries)
    #blackAF (great comedy)
    Space Force (it was... okish but far less than the sum of it's parts)
    Blood of Zeus (liked it a lot, vaguely Aeon Flux animation style with greek mythology shenanigans)
    Cobra Kai (awesome but don't know it this counts because I'm not sure if S2 is Netflix or if that's the upcoming S3)

And then there's the continuations like Stranger Things and Castelvania not to mention things that aired elsewhere like The Good Place, Better Call Saul, Happy! etc.

Oh and movies

I dunno I guess my playlist has well over over 100 things on it right now, and while it frankly is in bad need of cleaning now that I scroll through all of it, I've got probably 50+ tv shows/movies to get through.

Not to say that I'm not annoyed with Netflix cancelling shit that I like but that's been the status quo for most of my life so... meh? I mean I grew up primarily watching Fox murder virtually every great show they put on the air :P

• Options
    I think we can all at least agree that Amazon's Prime Video service is hot garbage that's only good enough because it's a pack-in with their overall service.

The movie selection is both about as good and about as bad as Netflix's...it has a lot of good stuff but look for something and it's probably not there. It's got like four good originals. Sneaky Pete is what you get when you can't even afford to make Ozark. Both are serviceable, mind. But, like, who the fuck is watching Goliath? Who wanted a Hanna show, and in particular this Hanna show? Be better, Amazon. It's like they looked at the quality versus quantity debate and their answer was no.

• Options
    It took me a lot of years to forgive Fox for Firefly, it will probably take nearly as many to forgive Netflix for their recent bloodbath.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Most of the decent Amazon Prime movies are also available on Hulu. They do have some good shows, but their interface is hot garbage and that's relative to the rest of the industry whose interfaces are also bad. I only use it if I know what I'm going there to watch. I never browse it, ever.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    It took me a lot of years to forgive Fox for Firefly, it will probably take nearly as many to forgive Netflix for their recent bloodbath.

First it was Titus and then Firefly

There were many others... many, many others, but those are the two where I'm like "No, we shall not forget *crying eagle*"

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Prime's movie selection is way better than Netflix's. It's not even close.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Prime's movie selection is way better than Netflix's. It's not even close.

I agree but I think a lot of that is due to me having the HBO addon.

This discussion has been closed.