As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Also why are babies born with freakishly sharp Sabertooth like fingernails that they use to immediately scratch their face and arms.

This seems like an evolutionary... Disadvantage.

Mittens. Get little mittens. Both cute and prevents them from gouging out their eyes!

Socks also work.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Also why are babies born with freakishly sharp Sabertooth like fingernails that they use to immediately scratch their face and arms.

Mittens. Get little mittens. Both cute and prevents them from gouging out their eyes!

Socks also work.

Yes my toddler has realized that too :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

We have them, it's just between being born and us being able to put clothes on him he scratched his arm and cheek enough that he still has a mark a few days later.

I thought he'd be tired after all that but no, wriggling and flailing all over the place immediately.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Clip fingernails while the baby is distracted by milk.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Ready for baby fight club.

:so_raven:
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    My wife gave birth to our first the other day. Becoming a father is am amazing experience but I somehow feel incredibly busy and useless at the same time. I really wish I could do more to take the load off of my wife.
    At the moment I am holding him so she can sleep until the next cluster feed begins.
    I've never been so tired.
    Thanks @CroakerBC for your advice!

@Antinumeric I have a one year old and felt the same thing. I felt useless. Just support your wife and do what you can. Skin to skin snuggling, and supporting your wife.

I still remember those days and she hated me then compared to mommy, but she's my angel now.

This post brought to you at midnight, helplessly running down the hungry/gassy/wet checklist with a shouty chaos goblin.

I think the most useful stuff I’ve managed to do is the logistical stuff. Making dinner. Sterilising a stash of bottles. Mixing up formula (if that’s your thing). Making sure that the floor’s clean, that the groceries get done, and that when the Mrs isn’t taking care of the baby herself, she has time to recover and do the things *she* needs to do.

Nobody removed a baby from *me*, I think I can stand to make pasta and keep the house clean, and anything else I see needs doing.

I think active stuff is important, incidentally. If I was waiting for her to ask what she needed, or the boy needed, rather than doing it off my own back, Inthink we’d both be more sleep deprived and I’d be getting yelled at...a lot more.

Practically, a steriliser and a bottle warmer helped a lot, so did having a pack and play with a changing table - so we can do changes upstairs and downstairs. Incidentally, a diaper bin on every floor has also been a life saver. Likewise swaddle wraps and sleep sacks, for soothing.

It’s all horribly overwhelming, but we’ve started to build a routine, and you can too. It’ll be right!

Now why is my baby shouting?

ETA: I’m still too terrified to clip his fingernails. Because at 4 weeks his fingers feel too small even for baby clippers. But filing them has worked so far!

Oh, if you can store food via pump/formula, once you have a routine, we’ve had some success looking after our boy in shifts - as you can see, I’m doing 21:00-03:00. This lets the Mrs get some sleep, then I sleep 03:00-08:00. It’s not great, but we’re only very tired, not dying on our feet.

CroakerBC on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    It took us a couple weeks to settle in the good schedule, where we split the 8 hours of night in half. If something happened in the first fours, it was my responsibility. After that, I need at least 4 hours to maintain a job, and amythestoak would cover the morning if something came up. For the first six months, neither of us slept as much as we wanted, but all three of us are still alive.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If you're gentle enough you can do it while they sleep.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always warn new dads that they're going to go from #1 to #3 in their life. You are the least dependent/important person early on, so that means you just do what needs to be done.
    House needs cleaning? You're up.
    Kid wakes up for non food reasons? 3 AM is a great time to bond.
    Food? Keep it coming.
    It's humbling but wonderful. Some of my favorite memories are of having my son in my lap bouncing lightly to keep him asleep while I played some 3 AM civ to stay awake.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Our youngest (2 years old) has decided, over the last month or so, that like 530-6 is the appropriate time for her to wake up everyday. Really looking forward to the daylight savings time change this weekend so that she can show us what 445 looks like......

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    There's little nail scissors for babies that I think work better than the clippers, much less likely to accidentally clip their fingertip. But yes, if you read about a species where the young are completely helpless for an entire year, try to kill themselves and their siblings constantly, doesn't reach sexual maturity for a decade and a half and mental maturity some time afterward, you'd be like "oh, wow, sure biodiversity is supposed to be good but saving that species is really just stretching the inevitable out isn't it?"

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

my experience has been that fiddling with a sleeping baby is pretty similar to defusing a bomb... the core question I have for both is is "why would you do it voluntarily????" :)

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

my experience has been that fiddling with a sleeping baby is pretty similar to defusing a bomb... the core question I have for both is is "why would you do it voluntarily????" :)

https://media1.tenor.com/images/565583812a825bbf20ed2bd3d5585119/tenor.gif?itemid=8587783rz2s3k1co6wt.gif

50433.png?1708759015
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Oh, a little bit of advice, if I may, when it comes to decoding screaming baby language:

One day, baby mini-dead would not stop scream-crying, and we didn't know why. She was fed, she had a fresh diaper, she was being cuddled... we could not figure out what's wrong.

In a desperate attempt to calm her, I'm carrying her around the room, shushing at her to no avail.

Eventually, I happened by the open window, which was providing a slight breeze. Mini-dead immediately goes quiet. Lightbulb moment. She was too freakin hot! I just kinda just propped her up next to the open window for a few minutes until she fell asleep. Sometimes it can be simple things like that that your baby is trying to communicate.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    Babies also just like windows. A blank wall is boring to babies. My baby liked to look out the window when fussy.

We didn't use clippers on baby #1 for over a year. We just used emory board/nail files

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    We got the scissor style with a see-what-you're-cutting window in the top and they're great. For the first 2-3 months her nails were soft enough they just broke off when they got long, but lately (she's 5mo now) the nails are stronger and so is her grip. She latches on to the tendons in your neck (or cheek, eye, ear, you name it) and it is no joke. I've used them exclusively when she's asleep cause otherwise she's just too delightfully wiggly!

Big grats AntiNumeric, I'm just now (this is our first) getting to the point where I look back on other younger babies and go "Aww I remember that!" I did all of the chores (cooking, cleaning, shopping, most diapers, etc) for the first 6 weeks and I'm glad, because otherwise I probably woulda felt pretty third wheel. It gets easier after it stops getting harder... lol.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Anybody in here have kids even though you don't like kids? How did you adapt?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

Define "don't like kids".
    I was reasonably tepid on kids that weren't mine until we had ours. Kids are pretty cool, but sometimes assholes. So basically just humans.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If someone invented a robot that gently holds a pacifier in an infant's mouth as they try to go to sleep, they'd be a multi-billionaire in weeks.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well, there it is.

First positive COVID case in daycare. Daycare shut down indefinitely!

Gonna be an interesting few days as we figure out how the hell to manage this while expecting our second in December.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I was reasonably tepid on kids that weren't mine until we had ours. Kids are pretty cool, but sometimes assholes. So basically just humans.

They give me incredible anxiety and I generally dread being around them. Not sure why.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Well, there it is.

Gonna be an interesting few days as we figure out how the hell to manage this while expecting our second in December.

We're just wrapping up week 1 of no daycare tomorrow.

Small human has been remarkably well behaved and chill and done very little to mess with us working from home.

But she's just coming up on three years old so the peace is an uneasy one because both my roommate and I know that it could end at any moment.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

They give me incredible anxiety and I generally dread being around them. Not sure why.

There's some biological things that kick in, honestly. I'm not very good with infants. that carried over to my own kid. But I'm far far more tolerant of her shit than I would be if the same shit was coming from somebody else's little asshole. Even if it's the same stuff that's being done. Ellie doing it bothers me less than random kid #3 over there.

It's more a case of why do you get that way around kids. Is it the noise? The incessant talking? the anxiety that you're going to do/say the wrong thing and that's going to be what they copy? Is it the size of the tiny human? Do you do better with certain age groups but not with others?

If you feel the biological imperative to reproduce and decide that it's a good idea, then you adjust to the situation pretty quickly.

I never ever ever wanted kids. I didn't want to be pregnant, I didn't want the responsibility. I didn't like them. they were loud, obnoxious, noisy, annoying, frustrating. Ew yuck gross.

But then I met Ecco and found somebody that I felt I could successfully parent a kid with and everything changed and we have an almost 5 year old.

If your body and brain flicks that switch, you can adapt.

And even as a parent, there are days where I just do not want to be around the child in the slightest. Just. Do not want, can not cope. But, you can/do adapt.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Well, there it is.

Uh, why exactly did they shut down indefinitely instead of for ~14 days?

PSN: Kurahoshi1

There's some biological things that kick in, honestly. I'm not very good with infants. that carried over to my own kid. But I'm far far more tolerant of her shit than I would be if the same shit was coming from somebody else's little asshole. Even if it's the same stuff that's being done. Ellie doing it bothers me less than random kid #3 over there.

It's more a case of why do you get that way around kids. Is it the noise? The incessant talking? the anxiety that you're going to do/say the wrong thing and that's going to be what they copy? Is it the size of the tiny human? Do you do better with certain age groups but not with others?

If you feel the biological imperative to reproduce and decide that it's a good idea, then you adjust to the situation pretty quickly.

I never ever ever wanted kids. I didn't want to be pregnant, I didn't want the responsibility. I didn't like them. they were loud, obnoxious, noisy, annoying, frustrating. Ew yuck gross.

But then I met Ecco and found somebody that I felt I could successfully parent a kid with and everything changed and we have an almost 5 year old.

And even as a parent, there are days where I just do not want to be around the child in the slightest. Just. Do not want, can not cope. But, you can/do adapt.

Yes, this pretty much, to a degree that the thought of having kids gives me great anxiety. I don't want kids and I can't say with any certainty that I'll ever want kids, but the wife wants kids and I cannot refuse indefinitely. Trying my best to come around on it though, and maybe find some courage or confidence that it won't be a terrible idea to bring another tiny human person into the world.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg

Yes, this pretty much, to a degree that the thought of having kids gives me great anxiety. I don't want kids and I can't say with any certainty that I'll ever want kids, but the wife wants kids and I cannot refuse indefinitely. Trying my best to come around on it though, and maybe find some courage or confidence that it won't be a terrible idea to bring another tiny human person into the world.

Resolving problems like this can be something a relationship counselor can help with.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    God yes. To the counseling.

Looking back, o have no idea how I managed to get through the last three months of Ellie's first year.

Mom had gone back to the US, ecco has gone back to the office, Ellie had just started crawling, and then the election in 2016 happened and my world went dark. Very dark. I don't think I would have survived the months from November to January without a great support network. I could have really used s counselor to help me through the feelings of utter despair.

It's not something I would do again without help.

I had a miserable pregnancy. I was hot, in pain, had diabetes, and just uncomfortable the entire time. I never ever want to go back to that again.

I'm not going to lie and say that there aren't days where I wish for the freedom of adult life that I had before. Sleeping in. Sex. Going out. Sex. Cuddles and playing video games. But I think those thoughts and then the biology and psychology kick in and go, "but you have her! And she's amazing!"

But I would definitely consider counseling for yourself and your wife to work through the questions. There's only so much we strangers in the internet can help with at a time.

One thing I would say about having kids, I never really expected to do it, and wasn't sure we could even afford it (we made a spreadsheet to look at costs!) but you will become a different person. You just change a lot. That can be scary, but the rewards are worth it.

But uh, yeah, the anxiety probably doesn't get less with having kids. Therapy/counselling is probably a great idea.

Anxiety is fine - that means you take it seriously. I'll be honest that it's the scariest shit ever, but also (as others mentioned) magical. I have a 4 and 6 year old and it's never gotten "easy", but I would never make a different choice being this far on the other side.

Things I will say from my perspective:
    1. If you're worried about screwing it up - don't worry, you will, that's part of the process.
    2. If you're anxious about their future, welcome to the show - this is why many of us work for a better one.
    3. If you're worried you can't do it - you can if you want to, but the key is that you have to want to.
    4. If you're worried you're not ready - no one is.

If there is no world where you see yourself as being an involved parent - be honest with your partner and make a decision from there. Know that the decision is very possibly "we can't be together then", but that's better than having a kid you never wanted and leaving them and your partner out in the cold emotionally and commitment-wise. A lot of early parenting is being a dedicated parenting team and picking up when the other can't go on, so if you're not into it, you're not into it.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Triplets are now in-person school 2 days a week for about 3 hours each day.

On the one hand, despite being shit-flinging baboon acrobats, they are very good about keeping their masks on and not touching people, and the classes max out at five people including the teacher.

On the other hand, each is in a different class, so the bubble is potentially fifteen, plus they’re still, you know, toddlers, but they need actual in-person instruction because they’re special needs and require things that neither my wife nor I can provide and not get fired due to the time commitment which would probably be worse for everybody overall.

In short, kids are back in school, I am terrified, but I am Also terrified of keeping them home, this sucks.

On the plus side, the six year-old is loving Zoom classes and does not want to go back to in-person, so the fact that it’s only the special needs pre-K that is back open helps.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hello kid/parenting thread. Towards the end of April, it seems I will be joining you in parenthood. We are very excited and also nervous! I was trying to find a decent book to give me some small foundation of how to handle things and have been having trouble finding anything. One book we got recommended by some friends had a lot of "Even though your partner is pregnant, you should still demand she make you dinner every night" kind of stuff that I did not like the sound of. Anyone have recommendations?

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hello kid/parenting thread. Towards the end of April, it seems I will be joining you in parenthood. We are very excited and also nervous! I was trying to find a decent book to give me some small foundation of how to handle things and have been having trouble finding anything. One book we got recommended by some friends had a lot of "Even though your partner is pregnant, you should still demand she make you dinner every night" kind of stuff that I did not like the sound of. Anyone have recommendations?

Crib Sheet by Emily Oster is a good, but slightly American centric, review of the literature around birth/parenting topics. So it gives you the currentish thinking on cosleeping, breastfeeding and so on.

Everything else I've read had been absolutely dire. Where advice for dads is things like "try to hold off raping your partner for a week or two after she gives birth" which I'm uh not the target audience for.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Our pediatrician gave us a copy of Your Baby's First Year during our first visit (have you selected a pediatrician yet?) which is a pretty hefty little tome that's edited by the American Academy of Pediatrics and has basically everything you need. It's pretty dry but the language is easy to understand, and it covers everything you need and then some.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Having those books is more of a security blanket than anything, I'd think you'd get as much good out of printing fake slip covers for books you already have on your shelf and just talking to your pediatrician when you have questions instead. That said, the in person classes the hospital had were really useful, but I guess I don't know if they can still do those right now.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I didn't really go overboard on the books, but I was recommended "what to expect when you're expecting" from multiple people.

Edit: I do occasionally read sections of books when something comes up, so I think it's nice to have a couple handy. Googling questions hasn't always given very convincing answers.

Cauld on
    Googling baby questions is generally a bad idea because there’s a lot of hearsay and very dodgy sites out there.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Googling baby questions is generally a bad idea because there’s a lot of hearsay and very dodgy sites out there.

... and also the tendency towards, "If you aren't doing [it] this exact way, your BABY WILL DIE IMMEDIATELY YOU PIECE OF SHIT PARENT!"

Elvenshae wrote: »

... and also the tendency towards, "If you aren't doing [it] this exact way, your BABY WILL DIE IMMEDIATELY YOU PIECE OF SHIT PARENT!"

That’s more the discussion forums!

So, I found a lot of the parenting books are very mom focussed, which makes sense, but there are some books focussed on dads to be. I really liked The Expectant Father at the time we were having our first kid.

If you are interested in looking at some books about how to parent, my wife really likes the books by Magda Gerber and those by Janet Lansbury.