As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I was thinking, one way to make me more interested in going to theaters again would be to seriously cut down on the number of trailers. And hopefully studios and theaters would get their heads out their asses to realize this (lol never then). I'm willing to go to a theater now, they just haven't put anything worthwhile for me yet.

News of the World seemed interesting until the grandiose epic music started and then it just went full on oscar bait. And it'd probably do well this year with no real competition.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one, but I enjoy the trailers. I wish they would cut down the lead time on the trailers though. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in a movie that's coming out in a year and a half, but show me something coming out in 2 to 3 months? Sure, that might put it on my radar.
    I mean, I'd like the trailers to be a bit shorter, or at least not give away 75% of the story, but they're not a big enough problem to me to ruin the movie going experience.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I don't mind trailers, but stop showing fucking advertisements, I don't want to sit through 10 minutes of some Coke bullshit before even getting to the trailers.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I was thinking, one way to make me more interested in going to theaters again would be to seriously cut down on the number of trailers. And hopefully studios and theaters would get their heads out their asses to realize this (lol never then). I'm willing to go to a theater now, they just haven't put anything worthwhile for me yet.

News of the World seemed interesting until the grandiose epic music started and then it just went full on oscar bait. And it'd probably do well this year with no real competition.

I haven't seen many trailers the last few years going to theatres, it was mostly replaced with commercials. If trailers disappear it will just be 20 minutes of commercials instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I don't go to many movies, so when I do go I'm there for the full experience. The trailers are part of the experience. Some of my best movie theater experiences have been getting blown away by a trailer that I didn't even know I wanted!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    When 3d circles back around in the consumer cycle of movie fads, its the best way to see the trailer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I love trailers. I desperately miss theaters and the entire experience. I rented out a theater for Tenet, and one of the contributing factors was that they might show the Dune trailer.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    is the trailers/commercials thing mostly because people are terrible at showing up on time and they have to fill that space between the "show starts at 4:30" and "actually it starts at 5:00" because people are horrible?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    No, it's that theatres need the extra revenue. If they charged more for tickets people would (rightly) protest and not go to that theatre.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I always argue that if they didn't charge £10 for a popcorn and drink, they'd make more money because more people would buy that shit instead of pre-gaming.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    In the Before Times, back when I went to the cinema, I had the timing down so I would get there as the trailers started, no ads at all.

I don’t want to buy a car, and I’m happy with my phone, so 80% of the ads were wasted on me anyway.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I always argue that if they didn't charge £10 for a popcorn and drink, they'd make more money because more people would buy that shit instead of pre-gaming.
    The theatres make their money on the snacks, not the tickets. Ticket money largely goes back to the studios.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The theatres make their money on the snacks, not the tickets. Ticket money largely goes back to the studios.

And that's why the most successful theaters around here have gotten into adding kitchens so they can serve full meals. Even the big chain options that haven't expanded their food offerings that much yet sell things like samosas and beer and wine in addition to all of the usual stuff now.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I want to like this, I really do, but it seems so noisy.

I approve of the time out, at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Oh my god that's perfect.

Little sad at the lack of Dennis Haskins, and hopefully they'll gracefully step around Dustin Diamond and Lark Vorhees.

The "OOOOOOOOOO" canned track which ended up being the acapella group got me.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Little sad at the lack of Dennis Haskins, and hopefully they'll gracefully step around Dustin Diamond and Lark Vorhees.

Is there any reason as to why Lark Vorhees hasn't been asked back? I know what ended up happening with Dustin Diamon, but I've no idea what Vorhees' situation is.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Is there any reason as to why Lark Vorhees hasn't been asked back? I know what ended up happening with Dustin Diamon, but I've no idea what Vorhees' situation is.

Last I recall she's not mentally well. Like not just a politically but as a person.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    New Bell is still trying too hard, and I don't need abloo abloo class struggle. I'd prefer just normal class struggle a hyuck hyuck.

I do give credit for having Mr. Dewey pop back up, that's some respect for that dude.

• Options
    I saw the other trailer where Slayter sits the Kids of Jessi and Kelly down as a teacher and tells them to stop fighting, and how he made out with both their moms and kind of nope'd out. Saw some good stuff too, some of the stuff from it seems really hit or miss. It's kind of doing the thing where it criticizes stuff that it is still actively doing and that's always a bummer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Well this is a load of bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82heDabn5k

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    how many more biopics of queer british rock stars do we need
    or are they gonna run out

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah... thats not necessary. I didn't see the other ones, I'm not seeing this one either.

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that Bowie was against a biopic and his estate have not granted the music rights to this movie. So just watch Velvet Goldmine instead.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    A David Bowie movie not staring Jemaine Clement? Blasphemers!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/5jtj8DcAqz0

German entry for the best foreign film Oscar

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    how many more biopics of queer british rock stars do we need
    or are they gonna run out

Our store of queer rock stars runs pretty deep.

• Options
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that Bowie was against a biopic and his estate have not granted the music rights to this movie. So just watch Velvet Goldmine instead.

Yeesh, if you don't have the music, what the fuck is the point? You're one step above 30 Rock's Janis Joplin biopic.

• Options
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    This is the story

of Daveed Bowow.

I would watch the animated adventures of Daveed Diggs but a dog.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeesh, if you don't have the music, what the fuck is the point? You're one step above 30 Rock's Janis Joplin biopic.

🎶Have a look at the policeman
    Duffing up the wrong chap
    Oh lawks, wonder if he'll ever know
    He's in a really good show
    Is there life in Spaaaace?🎶

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    this new michael bay produced covid-23 movie (it's called songbird) is fucking ridiculous

https://youtu.be/IgxXSfto6Vo

it's like a mix of "too soon" "hilarious" and "right wing wet dream"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I would be totally for a Brian Johnson biopic, starring Brian Johnson. Shot In the Dark sounds like it could have been made in 1980.

Rob Halford not getting a biopic yet makes me All Fired Up.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    didn't we already have a trailer recently that used this rendition of three little birds?

edit: found it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--4gu4CQBM

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    this new michael bay produced covid-23 movie (it's called songbird) is fucking ridiculous

https://youtu.be/IgxXSfto6Vo

it's like a mix of "too soon" "hilarious" and "right wing wet dream"

Why is the movie named after an X-Men villain?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I cannot figure out what the name has to do with anything? Which is unreasonably annoying to me.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe it's something about not caging songbirds? More evidence that the movie is going to be about how Lockdown was bad, actually

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Looks like there's someone in the movie who portrays "singer enmeshed in a messy and forbidden affair" in the movie, so maybe that's the origin of the title.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Maybe it's something about not caging songbirds? More evidence that the movie is going to be about how Lockdown was bad, actually

Like, they "know why the caged bird sings"?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://youtu.be/0nTiibwp_2w

Oh man, this looks great!
    Goofy slapstick Jackie Chan + Fast and Furious/Hobbs & Shaw crazy cars and explosions.

Also a 'Mega Drone'?

DanHibiki on
This discussion has been closed.