As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Special K wrote: »
    Alas, the rare situations of more mag capacity than available ammo ...

Welcome ... to the Grip Zone!

Gun marketing only comes 2nd to video card marketing. I used to work in the Archery industry and it was the same. Its all so rediculous.
    hahaha yeeeup, I'm actually figuring out how I can safely ration out my ammo when I take it to the range.

Also nice setup there man. That's one hell of a package for the price you got. Damn good stuff.

You as well! That Glock is dope, and it reminds me a bit of the doom marine. Very nice. Let us know how the holosun works. I've never shot a pistol with an optic before.

That was actually my exact inspiration for the look of the slide and the coloring! As soon as Lone Wolf's color swatch literally said "Battle Worn Bazooka Green" I knew I had to have it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really wish I had more money for say, all the guns.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've only been to the range once in the past three months. A combination of wanting to conserve ammo and new fatherhood (!!!) has made it difficult to get out.

I think I'll go next week sometime. I recently put a 2.5x prism sight on my otherwise vanilla AR that I haven't shot in ages.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Doc wrote: »
    I've only been to the range once in the past three months. A combination of wanting to conserve ammo and new fatherhood (!!!) has made it difficult to get out.

I think I'll go next week sometime. I recently put a 2.5x prism sight on my otherwise vanilla AR that I haven't shot in ages.

it's been awhile here too, although my two year old is old enough now that dad gets evenings, which works for some hobbies but not this one

next weekend finally sighting in the irons on my AK and then Loctiteing my 1-6 on it and zeroing that, too

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I wish it would stop raining today! I don't think I'll get to shoot until tomorrow afternoon.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Went out and did some sighting in. Only the 2nd time firing the AR since I got it. Put 90 rounds through it and sighted in the iron sights. Man that rifle is just smooth and easy to shoot. I am a big fan. Now to get the red dot installed and sighted in, maybe later this week!

Put a couple 16 round magazines through the pistol. It also is just a joy to shoot. Easy to get on target, barely any recoil and as funny as that grip system shit is, it really is maybe the most comfortable pistol I've ever held or fired, on par with my old Taurus Raging Bull. It ran great, but damn do I need to actually put in time to practice with a pistol. I am bad. I can hit a target at close range, but my rate of fire is super slow and my spread is atrocious. Are there any good pistol drills available online that help teach someone how to improve?

Overall I'm really pleased. I now have two super functional modern firearms that are fairly cheap to shoot (all things considered) and easy to maintain.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I now have two super functional modern firearms that are fairly cheap to shoot (all things considered) and easy to maintain.

Sounds like you've pretty much got it made! Good stuff.

It's 20:30 CET, it's time for Snap Cap Chat with Special K!

When I first took my Canik to the range, I had incessant problems. Failures to feed, double feeds, stovepipes, the full gamut. Some basic research revealed that the default spring is intended for use with NATO +P.

I don't run +P, so I gave Century Arms a call and they sent me a replacement spring under warranty with free postage etc in less than a week. Nice!

After a good clean and spring swap, it was range time! This time it worked flawlessly. The trigger is outstanding for a "budget" handgun. I compared some cheap-o steel case Winchester against cheap-o brass case Winchester and noticed no difference whatsoever.

The initial failures made me want to get some snap caps / dummy rounds so I could safely mess about with the cycling mechanism (I definitely still consider myself to be inexperienced with firearms). They would also be useful if my wife ever shows an interest in knowing how to work a gun, and I'd be a bit more comfortable knowing she could to be honest.

Anyway, I have tried three different types of 9mm snap cap / dummy round in the Canik. Two of them are absolute garbage, but fortunately I can recommend the third!

First, la garbage:

A-Zoom: These little gremlins can be yours for the princely sum of about $15 for 5. They start off with a heady note of FtF, before charging into a big fruity "I'm now jammed in your barrel, so best get a dowel or something" with cheeky notes of maybe check your internals for chips and shavings.

Verdict: I think these are a proxy for more stringent gun control legislation.

Tipton: Immediate double-feed. Followed by another double feed. Next attempt worked, but then ... wait for it ... you know it's coming ... double feed! Surprise! All the fun of the fair for about $15 for 5 of the little bastards.

Verdict: Pffft.

Now, the good news!

Realistic Snap Caps: These actually work! Hooray! And they are cheaper than the previous two examples, at about $12 for 5 with free shipping (or another $2 for USPS first class). However: They resemble live rounds more closely than the other two options here, so greater care is required. I've covered mine in red Sharpie to further help distinguish them from live rounds, which I'm sure I'll regret when it starts to come off on my hands ...

Verdict: Just what I was looking for!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's kinda odd about the A-Zooms. I've got them in 9mm and .308, and haven't had a single problem with them.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    @ Me If anyone runs across a deal on .223/5.56. I want to do a range day sometime soon but I'm not paying $1 a round for shitty all steel ammo.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    That's kinda odd about the A-Zooms. I've got them in 9mm and .308, and haven't had a single problem with them.

Could be a Canik thing, could be a new gun thing, could be both!

I remember the (relatively few) bad A-Zoom 9mm reviews on Amazon being heavy on "this jams my Glock", so maybe certain models just don't like them. I was definitely surprised at how much trouble I had with both A-Zoom and Tipton.

• Options

Could be a Canik thing, could be a new gun thing, could be both!

I remember the (relatively few) bad A-Zoom 9mm reviews on Amazon being heavy on "this jams my Glock", so maybe certain models just don't like them. I was definitely surprised at how much trouble I had with both A-Zoom and Tipton.

Hrm...yeah, could be a Canik/Glock thing. Of the pistols chambered in 9mm I have, both my Sig P320C and Beretta Px4 run the A-Zoom without issue. The only time I've had a snap-cap FtF was when I tried to get 5-round magazines for my RFB and the risers just instantly gummed up. Figured that was more a thermold issue than the snap-cap since all the 20-round magazines run the .308 A-Zoom a-okay.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Sig P320C

What's your opinion of that gun?

I had it in mind to get one of those or the M&P 2.0 compact, but I ended up with the Canik SF Elite after holding all three. Close run thing, though.

• Options
    Sig P320C

I had it in mind to get one of those or the M&P 2.0 compact, but I ended up with the Canik SF Elite after holding all three. Close run thing, though.

Personally, it's fine enough. I don't like the grip (it's a bit too big for my hands). The problem is I was looking for a striker-fired compact pistol with a manual safety. If it weren't for the manual safety requirement, I think I'd have preferred getting an HK VP9 instead.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Sig P320C

Personally, it's fine enough. I don't like the grip (it's a bit too big for my hands). The problem is I was looking for a striker-fired compact pistol with a manual safety. If it weren't for the manual safety requirement, I think I'd have preferred getting an HK VP9 instead.

Get a new grip module!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Sig P320C

Get a new grip module!

They're all too bulbous for my hand. My hands prefer the slim svelte grips of HKs (with the slimmest side panels and smallest backstrap). None of the P320 grip modules accommodate that.

• Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap but decent pic-rail foregrip for my AR? I don't need anything fancy. The ones I'm seeing vary widely in price and I'm leery to buy one that could just break off or damage my rifle.

• Options
    Sig P320C

Get a new grip module!

They're all too bulbous for my hand. My hands prefer the slim svelte grips of HKs (with the slimmest side panels and smallest backstrap). None of the P320 grip modules accommodate that.

Wilson Combat grip module?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap but decent pic-rail foregrip for my AR? I don't need anything fancy. The ones I'm seeing vary widely in price and I'm leery to buy one that could just break off or damage my rifle.

@That_Guy https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/500-round-case-556mm-55-grain-fmj-m193-imi-ammo-made-israel-military-industri

65c - ish a round? Not great, but that's the times.

Grip - Magpul RVG?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I got one of the TP9SAs when they first came over to the states about four or five years ago and it definitely had some picky choices on ammo for the first 500 rounds or so.

After that I could feed it rocks and it would find a way to shoot them.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sig P320C

Get a new grip module!

Haven't seen any in stores to put my hands on the grip to gauge how large/small it is. If I can't get a feel for it and would have to order one blind, I'm not going to risk it. I'll stick with the bulbous grip (right now, the 320C is relegated to backup in my car. 5.7 is my go-to home defense, 10mm 1911 for hiking, and HK VP40 for when I'm working in my office nook.

EDIT - oh! I forgot one key problem with looking for a different grip module. Nobody makes modules for the 320C that's made for the manual safety equipped assembly.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Sig P320C

Get a new grip module!

Haven't seen any in stores to put my hands on the grip to gauge how large/small it is. If I can't get a feel for it and would have to order one blind, I'm not going to risk it. I'll stick with the bulbous grip (right now, the 320C is relegated to backup in my car. 5.7 is my go-to home defense, 10mm 1911 for hiking, and HK VP40 for when I'm working in my office nook.

EDIT - oh! I forgot one key problem with looking for a different grip module. Nobody makes modules for the 320C that's made for the manual safety equipped assembly.

I mean, Wilson Combat does make the manual safety module.

I understand about buying sight unseen, but it’s pretty well reviewed as being slimmer and what should be the stock grip. Garandthumb did a good video on the Wilson 320 pistol itself.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

@That_Guy https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/500-round-case-556mm-55-grain-fmj-m193-imi-ammo-made-israel-military-industri

65c - ish a round? Not great, but that's the times.

Grip - Magpul RVG?

That's a better price than I've seen most places but IDK if I want to buy 500 rounds right now.

That grip looks decent but a little stubby. Can you get your entire hand around it or do you have to choke up on the handguard?

• Options
    Sig P320C

Get a new grip module!

I mean, Wilson Combat does make the manual safety module.

I understand about buying sight unseen, but it’s pretty well reviewed as being slimmer and what should be the stock grip. Garandthumb did a good video on the Wilson 320 pistol itself.

I'll take a look at them. The one review on the 320 Compact w/ manual safety grip has a guy say it fits his "medium/large hands perfectly," which has me a little concerned since I wear small/smallish-medium gloves.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I’ve been meaning to get the Wilson combat grip for mine but all of my compact mags have the round peg baseplates and I would have to dremel the ears so they’d seat or buy new sig baseplates because that’s totally a fucking sig Sauer thing to do

Edit: fuck it, bought the compact grip and 3 new floor plates, will attempt to dremel and at least have the new floor plates if I screw up.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Wooo last two boxes of 9mm target ammo at Bi-Mart. Only 27 cents a round. Time to practice today!

• Options
    9wwz13cp1rzl.jpeg

@Erlkönig

Just got it today, haven’t shot it. However, it is slimmer, you can get a much higher purchase on your grip, and the texture on the frame is much more positive.

If nothing else, it does feel better.

For reference, half my pinky hangs off the bottom on the compact.

• Options
    Man trying to get that last round into a 16 round double stack mag is a pain in the ass. Going to order a speed loader I think. My thumb is sore now. :P

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I just don't bother.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I just don't bother.

Yea thats how I'm going to operate going forward.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Wooo last two boxes of 9mm target ammo at Bi-Mart. Only 27 cents a round. Time to practice today!

The guy at the Bi-Mart near me just laughed a long, sad laugh when I asked if there was any 9mm or 5.56 in stock.

• Options

The guy at the Bi-Mart near me just laughed a long, sad laugh when I asked if there was any 9mm or 5.56 in stock.

Yea when I was in earlier this week they had like 1' square signs saying "We are OUT of 9mm and 223/556". It was funny.

• Options
    Been shooting the heck out of the 9mm. I put 250 rounds through it this week, no malfunctions. I've been luckily scrounging up some 9mm at the local bimart, and have enough to run a 50 round drill a week for the next few weeks. Slowly getting better. I can now hit the broad side of a barn. Going to work on some gun handling drills to get better and getting eyes on site, and drawing and stuff.

Today though, it was getting shitty this afternoon so I finally took my Witness 45acp that I tore down a couple months ago, got some vinegar and a brass bristle brush and scrubbed off all the exterior rust then re-blued it, using wipe on cold blue. once that was done I rubbed in gun oil on all the surfaces. I did not realize it would turn the blue to black, and it looks fucking sharp now. hopefully it'll resist rusting in the short term. It lives in a gun safe now so I'm hopeful. Wish I had taken some before pictures, oh well!

after all that I figured since I had the supplies out it was time to give everything a good clean and oil, so that's all done now too.

ab67029tm0ih.jpg

• Options
    That does look clean.

As far as hitting the broadside of a barn, I would strongly recommend getting your grip solidified and do a shit ton of dry fire.

Once I realized how much real estate I can get a hold of on the gun, and how to apply appropriate amount of force into it, it’s been so much better.

Grip is like 90% of shooting well.

• Options
    That does look clean.

As far as hitting the broadside of a barn, I would strongly recommend getting your grip solidified and do a shit ton of dry fire.

Once I realized how much real estate I can get a hold of on the gun, and how to apply appropriate amount of force into it, it’s been so much better.

Grip is like 90% of shooting well.

Ohhh 100%! I've been watching this below videos, and a few others. Found them really useful. Looking back on my shooting history, like 95% of it was just fun shooting days, and almost no serious drill work. Between dry fire drills and weekly 50 round shooting drills, I figure I'll probably start getting better.

https://youtu.be/5CjRJbsTzcY

https://youtu.be/F8MvKIiXC2M

https://youtu.be/A8NkLvJff2w

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Another double post! Let me know if I'm posting too much, I try to space it out a few days.

Anyways, got my TLR-7A streamlight today for my XD, along with some Talon grip tape. the GRIP ZONE™ is great on the fore and aft parts of the grip, but the sides are slicker than snot. I taped up both sides of the grip, a little pad for my trigger finger for a good sensory input for safe, and on the other side where my off hand thumb would rest when in firing position.

The next question for the thread, where do I try to hunt down a range/hiking hip holster for the pistol with the light installed? I've heard of certain brands that do shaped holsters for pistols with lights installed, and the XD is a popular gun and the streamlight is a popular light so I figure that combination is out there somewhere.

Edit: Also scrounged up a 1000 round case of 9mm online today, very excited for that! Should be here next week.

soi9n0qks0ct.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    The next question for the thread, where do I try to hunt down a range/hiking hip holster for the pistol with the light installed? I've heard of certain brands that do shaped holsters for pistols with lights installed, and the XD is a popular gun and the streamlight is a popular light so I figure that combination is out there somewhere.

Generally googling "(insert gun model) with (insert light model) holster" will get you some decent options. I've got a couple holsters for my Glock 17 w/ TLR-1 from Bravo Concealment that I like but looking at their site it looks like they stopped doing holsters for lights.

• Options

Generally googling "(insert gun model) with (insert light model) holster" will get you some decent options. I've got a couple holsters for my Glock 17 w/ TLR-1 from Bravo Concealment that I like but looking at their site it looks like they stopped doing holsters for lights.

I found a couple companies, and it looks like they are made to order, about $90. They both seem super heavy duty though. Maybe in a paycheck or two!

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago I saw a video on Palmetto State Armory's AK-V and I was smitten. I had almost talked myself out of one since they were so hard to find, but I started checking around a certain time of day and was able to get one in the color I wanted. Picked it up yesterday and am very impressed. I'm used to ARs, so this is my first AK variant. It's quite heavy for its size but it's so compact and portable. The trigger is quite light and responsive and now I understand when all of the reviewers talk about how fast they can run it. The trigger break is surprisingly quick.

Can't wait to get some more time with it.

• Options
    A few weeks ago I saw a video on Palmetto State Armory's AK-V and I was smitten. I had almost talked myself out of one since they were so hard to find, but I started checking around a certain time of day and was able to get one in the color I wanted. Picked it up yesterday and am very impressed. I'm used to ARs, so this is my first AK variant. It's quite heavy for its size but it's so compact and portable. The trigger is quite light and responsive and now I understand when all of the reviewers talk about how fast they can run it. The trigger break is surprisingly quick.

Can't wait to get some more time with it.

They're great, and it's not like they're starting from square one when the Soviets did it with the PP-19. I have to imagine it's overgassed as fuck so they did something for that.

I've got a PSAK GF3 I've been tinkering with. There was a muzzle brake shootout and it looks like a $35 copy of the JSDF brake on their rifles is the one to beat, especially at the price. Also an enhanced stiffer) recoil spring, and the foregrip I want to go back in stock.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So this appeared in my usual gun blog circles, and I'm super impressed.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K_GJ8La_VXA

shorttimin on