As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Crappy face ID
    The face unlock works amazing. The downsides are basically COVID-19 and app support, and it is pretty trivial to add BiometricPrompt support to address the latter while supporting devices on older versions of Android (Google already did the work for you there).

I suppose I should rephrase, I think all face unlock is crappy. Something nice and tactile about the fingerprint sensor, and I'm not accidentally unlocking it just at a glance when I'm checking the time or whatever

Having both is pretty great.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So the new Google icons were designed by children right? Yeesh.
    The new Gmail icon is stunningly bland; I get that their goal was to unify the design language between all their app icons, but what they've also done is make all of their app icons blend in with the greater sea of garish, slap-dash icons.

The new Gmail notification icon, on the other hand, is an actual criminal offense.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    the notification icon feels angrier or something. I don't know. I feel attacked when I see it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I think one of the things that bothers me about the new style icons is that the lines are all different thickness

I'm sure they're gonna drop the Photos pinwheel for a dumb P here soon

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Something about the notification icon bothers me more than the solid ones. The wire frame look is bad

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The new gmail icon is terrible, especially the notification icon.

The new calendar icon is awful too, not different enough from other icons to spot it easily.

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The new gmail icon is terrible, especially the notification icon.

The new calendar icon is awful too, not different enough from other icons to spot it easily.

Also, how do you tell it's even supposed to be a calendar?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It's got a number on it; only calendars have those.

Wait, are y'all talking about this one?

rixdqa5xjt98.png

Yes

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Thats the timer to tell you how much longer your stuffs going to be in the wash right?

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    No that's the app that tells you which cycle your dishwasher is on

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This is what's god awful:
    34tqmvqum5ge.png

Hasn't come through on my phone yet, but I see this icon in Chrome.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    This is what's god awful:
    34tqmvqum5ge.png

Hasn't come through on my phone yet, but I see this icon in Chrome.

You have 31 new picture notifications.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Am I the only person with the app folder alphabetized and don't pay attention to the icons?

joshgotro wrote: »
    Am I the only person with the app folder alphabetized and don't pay attention to the icons?

Yeah, but my brain doesn't work like that. I'm much more visual. I don't mind the calendar icon though it is bad, the wireframes bother me personally

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

Yeah, but my brain doesn't work like that. I'm much more visual. I don't mind the calendar icon though it is bad, the wireframes bother me personally

I didn't even notice the change to any of the Google apps until it was brought up here. Or the Facebook Messenger.

I'm happy for you

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I... ended up buying an iPhone 12 Pro instead of any of the newest android options. I feel a little bit odd, but it's been pretty great so far.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I... ended up buying an iPhone 12 Pro instead of any of the newest android options. I feel a little bit odd, but it's been pretty great so far.

The 12 Pro has a nice heft to it, feels more premium because of the new design

zerzhul wrote: »

The 12 Pro has a nice heft to it, feels more premium because of the new design
    Yeah, that's a pretty good way to describe it. Hefty. The stainless steel edges sure are fingerprint magnets though.

I'm a sucker for the Gold look, fingerprints be damned

I got the blue one, it's really nice

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I picked up a Note20 Ultra on Friday. I've been debating between the iPhone 12 Pro/Max/Whatever and the Note20 Ultra, and the tipping point was the trade-in promo that would knock $500 off the monthly installment plan. There were quite a few reasons to go with the iPhone 12 (the rest of my family has them, and it'd be nice to Facetime with them...I've heard the camera is top-notch...form factor looked a bit more suitable for my wee hand size), but I have never owned an Apple product...ever. I had iTunes installed on my computer back around '04...but that lasted for about a month before I uninstalled it.

Apparently, though, that $500 trade-in promo ended sometime between Wednesday (when I first went to the phone store checking out the options) and Friday (when I made it back to the store to actually buy the phone). So instead of $500 trade-in credits, my Galaxy S8 got assessed at $55 trade-in. The Note20 Ultra is cool and all, so I'm just going to keep it (not sure if I even could return it), and at $55, I may as well just keep it and use my old S8 to keep playing Pocket Ponies and Life Is Strange.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Pixel 4a 5G is starting to look mighty tempting...

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

No. But admittedly, I don't use any of Google's own apps except for the Store (I do technically have a choice, since I sometimes have to load APKs to fix stupid goddamn Google glitches) and Maps (which...is pretty OK, I'd say). And I leave the Google Play Store in my apps drawer, so I only see maps regularly. Email, browser, online storage, etc., are all from other providers.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    2yr old OnePlus 6T going strong

6qhwovdbpzwv.jpg

So...that newfangled Note20 Ultra I bought last Friday (y'know...literally 3 days ago)? The other night, I was checking the news headlines before going to sleep, and I noticed a rattling sound whenever I either brought the phone up to my face or put it back down. When I picked it up and shook it a little, it definitely rattled. Figuring it might've been the stylus, I pulled it out and shook it again. Still had a little rattle. Brought it in to the store where I bought it, and they think the rattling is the top camera lens in the camera housing. Because it's under warranty, they can replace it!

...for $20.

Yeah, definitely remembering why I hold off on getting a new phone as long as I can.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    US consumer laws are wild

edit: assuming that's where you are, since asking $20 for a warranty repair would be unheard of in the EU or Australia

Dhalphir on
    Actually you're the second person I've heard of with that camera problem. It's apparently supposed to move a little bit, but not so much you hear it with regular use. I don't think it's a widespread issue but it could mean problems for them long-term if it's a failure point.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    US consumer laws are wild

edit: assuming that's where you are, since asking $20 for a warranty repair would be unheard of in the EU or Australia

Yup...US

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So...that newfangled Note20 Ultra I bought last Friday (y'know...literally 3 days ago)? The other night, I was checking the news headlines before going to sleep, and I noticed a rattling sound whenever I either brought the phone up to my face or put it back down. When I picked it up and shook it a little, it definitely rattled. Figuring it might've been the stylus, I pulled it out and shook it again. Still had a little rattle. Brought it in to the store where I bought it, and they think the rattling is the top camera lens in the camera housing. Because it's under warranty, they can replace it!

...for $20.

Yeah, definitely remembering why I hold off on getting a new phone as long as I can.

Seems to be a real issue with build quality of handsets of late. Used to be overheating issues but of recent it's like rushed production from everybody:

S20 ultra camera glass shattering
    Note 20 Ultra Lens Rattle
    Pixel 5 screen separation
    Pixel slate memory degradation
    iPhone 12 Pro Max manufacturing issues with camera lens coatings
    Pixel 4a 5G and 5 battery charging bugs
    S20 FE touchscreen and fingerprint issues (even after supposed software fixes)
    OnePlus 8 Pro and 8T screen tints and degrading colour balance.

Just to name a few.

sometimes the lens rattle is the optical stabilization and not necessarily a faulty

Dhalphir wrote: »
    sometimes the lens rattle is the optical stabilization and not necessarily a faulty

You can usually tell if it's too loud. The faulty unit I encountered had a much more noticable noise when shaken

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

...for $20.

Where did you buy it? Implied warranties are still a thing, and I might push a little harder to get a replacement.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

...for $20.

Where did you buy it? Implied warranties are still a thing, and I might push a little harder to get a replacement.

Picked it up at a T-mobile store. When I was putting in the request for a replacement, there were 3 CSRs working on it (1 trainee, 1 that had been there for 4 days, and the store supervisor). From what I can maybe figure is that I'm paying for the shipping of the replacement unit.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Thats insane they're charging you to return a product that was effectively damaged at time of purchase; you shouldnt have to pay the shipping for the replacement, Samsung should eat it since their product left the factory defective.

emp123 on
    emp123 wrote: »
    Thats insane they're charging you to return a product that was effectively damaged at time of purchase

Not disagreeing, and I definitely am annoyed.

At the same time, if it is what it is, I'd rather be out an additional $20 and have a fully functioning phone. If, however it's still an issue, I'm probably going to seek a full return and...I dunno...the clerk broke the SIM/SD carrier of my S8 when I bought the Note20, so I might have to find a replacement for that tiny bit of plastic.

Alternatively, I could still pick up an iPhone 12 Pro...

I got an update today that lightened the color of Messages lockscreen notifications and it's really screwing with me.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Man, the Pixel lineup this year is confusing AF. Depending on who you talk to, any of the 4a, 4a 5G, or 5 is 'obviously' the one to buy, and best value. My Pixel 2 still "feels" like a premium phone in the hand and to use, and I like nearly everything about it - except that the battery is down to 50% health and now won't make it through a full day without recharging. I'm sure the 4a is a "good enough" replacement option, but it somehow still feels like a downgrade - that I have to pay for.

I'm very tempted to try the notoriously tricky battery replacement on my Pixel 2. If I toast the screen though, I don't think it's worth replacing.