As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The SE++ International Orchestra [Instrument Thread]

1235»

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Vegemyte wrote: »
    I'd probably not use it but I love having it on after the wah (rocked full treble) for a really chunky tone that is a bit terrible too. It now works really well with the C9 now, too!

I always keep mine pre-wah for the thick, meaty effect from using the full sweep. If I want a super nasty velcro fuzz sound that's what I have my Zvex Fuzz Factory with the stability turned down for. :P

joshofalltrades on
  • VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    My wah has a really scratchy pot, so I don't tend to use it too much.

and my rah has a fiddly switch that sometimes cuts out when you turn it off!

and so does the wah too, come to think of it!

and my moog delay is really temperamental!

god, i really need to get my pedals fixed sometime..

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the dude who's keeping it at my house (the drummer for the band we are hopelessly trying to start) hasn't changed the skins in forever/tuned the toms at all. They're about all the same pitch, and to stop the snare ringing I've got a weighty tome on greek mythology on it.

Does he have a decent reason for having his toms at that weird angle? How you meant to hit a drum with any real power if the stick is just going to glance off?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Wanna borrow my soldering iron?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Yeah when I bought all my pedals I had hours of free time every day to repair them if something went wrong

Now I'm lucky if I have enough time to restring a guitar before a performance

#adultproblems

• VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    Does he have a decent reason for having his toms at that weird angle? How you meant to hit a drum with any real power if the stick is just going to glance off?

no that's mostly me! i've always had toms at a weird angle because i don't know!? it's always felt fine enough to me but now you've got me thinking..

and the last time i used a soldering iron was when i was 10 so i wouldn't exactly say i'm confident in repairing pedals myself (even though it really should be an essential skill for anyone)

If you don't feel confident repairing pedals you could always get some solder, an iron, some wire and an empty PCB and just practice soldering pointlessly until you don't feel like you'll mess it up when you do it for real.

If you don't feel confident repairing pedals you could always get some solder, an iron, some wire and an empty PCB and just practice soldering pointlessly until you don't feel like you'll mess it up when you do it for real.

Yeah it's like building model kits when you've been out of the game for a bit - you buy a couple of extra cheap and shitty small kits to put together and get your eye in before you attempt that 1/32 scale F-15E...

Yeah it's like building model kits when you've been out of the game for a bit - you buy a couple of extra cheap and shitty small kits to put together and get your eye in before you attempt that 1/32 scale F-15E...

I feel like there's probably a story behind this...

I have had a 1/48 kit of the F-15C waiting for me to build it for a few years now and I am scared because it was a (fairly expensive) present and I don't want to fuck it up. I do want to get a bunch of the Tamiya 1/32 kits and hang them from the ceiling of my house once completed, but we have to stop renting first.

I have had a 1/48 kit of the F-15C waiting for me to build it for a few years now and I am scared because it was a (fairly expensive) present and I don't want to fuck it up. I do want to get a bunch of the Tamiya 1/32 kits and hang them from the ceiling of my house once completed, but we have to stop renting first.

er7tG9q.jpg

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the dude who's keeping it at my house (the drummer for the band we are hopelessly trying to start) hasn't changed the skins in forever/tuned the toms at all. They're about all the same pitch, and to stop the snare ringing I've got a weighty tome on greek mythology on it.

You don't strike your stick straight down on rack toms, though. They're always going to have be an some kind of angle or you're going to get tons of accidental rimshots. The steeper the angle the less energy you're going to have to put into the strike to make a decent sound, which is especially useful for shard practice space like this.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really need to get to work on making a new guitar

on the plus side, my bridge/nut files FINALLY arrived!

• littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    I was just gifted a hammered dulcimer this week. Gonna be real honest, I didn't know what it was until I apparently owned one. So this will be a fun adventure.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
    #pipe wrote: »

You don't strike your stick straight down on rack toms, though. They're always going to have be an some kind of angle or you're going to get tons of accidental rimshots. The steeper the angle the less energy you're going to have to put into the strike to make a decent sound, which is especially useful for shard practice space like this.

That doesn't make sense to me - surely the steeper the angle, the lighter the stick is going to hit the skin for the same amount of input force? Then again I'm not pro muso so what the hell am I even talking about.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It has more to do with the angle of your hands/wrists while you're shoulders are at a comfortable extension.

Making the rack toms lower and flatter means you have to move your arms further out from your body to hit the sweet spot. Imagine the arms swinging more like windscreen wipers - pivoting at the elbows from snare around to floor. You want the bulk of your stick movement to come from the wrists, not the arms.

Drumming is an exercise in body efficiency

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Unless you are Animal, then just go nuts.

steam_sig.png
    Bought an ocarina at Pax South. Gonna learn me this thing.
    Basically just went up to the booth and was like "I've never touched an ocarina or played a woodwind since my 5th grade recorder lessons. Which one of these is the Fisher Price My First Ocarina version?"

steam_sig.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I haven't played in awhile, but I have 8 years of Tuba experience under my belt.

I can blast a mean baseline. Recently I've been wanting to get a and learn to play a string bass.

edited February 2016
    Here is my Tuba Brush with Fame

I went to a dedicated music college after high school looking to get a degree in classical music. It was a poor choice which I still regret to this day but that's neither here nor there.

While I was there studying trumpet, I took the opportunity to take some cheap lessons from music education students during long breaks between classes. These lessons where on a bunch of other instruments, mostly brass. I enjoyed lower brass a lot until I had to give the lessons up because my workload became unmanageable.

Once I was getting a trumpet lesson from a professor of brass studies and internationally renowned brass performer who I was friendly with. I spotted a Tuba in the corner of his office and mentioned that I had been getting a couple of tuba lessons and was enjoying it. He grabbed the tuba and suggested I play a little to loosen up my embouchure. So I did. I was not very good. He laughed and suggested I stick to trumpet for now, then he told me he'd only recently purchased that tuba and he was quite proud of it

as it was the tuba that had been played on a movie soundtrack I might know

#pipe on
    Basically just went up to the booth and was like "I've never touched an ocarina or played a woodwind since my 5th grade recorder lessons. Which one of these is the Fisher Price My First Ocarina version?"

Update!
    I forgot my 'rina at home yesterday, but remembered it today. Had a few minutes after lunch to noodle around on it in my car. I successfully played a major triad.
    Just about ready for Carnegie Hall.

steam_sig.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    edit: In retrospect, the audio always comes out so poorly in these videos.

godmode on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Update!
    I forgot my 'rina at home yesterday, but remembered it today. Had a few minutes after lunch to noodle around on it in my car. I successfully played a major triad.
    Just about ready for Carnegie Hall.

I wondered why it suddenly became night time.

edited February 2016
    Yesterday at lunch using the score on the back of the insert that came with it I was able to play through Happy Birthday a couple of times. By the end I was merely pretty bad instead of terrible.
    Basically the Yo Yo Ma of ocarina at this point.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    I give a guitar lesson every Thursday (it's just something I do for fun on the side, not like a real job or anything) to a 14-year-old kid. I've been doing it for about a year and a half now?

Last night, as we were warming up with a 12-bar blues progression, alternating rhythm and lead between us, I realized that I have single-handedly turned him from somebody who has never played guitar before into a guitarist I wouldn't mind performing with.

Also, I have a Fender American fat strat (it's my baby) and he showed up last night with his own brand new fat strat, although his was made in China it's still a badass axe.

I almost teared up a bit.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I just found out I live like a mile or two away from Moniker Guitars, a custom shop that lets you design pretty much every aspect of your guitar.

https://monikerguitars.com/guitar-configurator/

It'd be wasted on me now but man that would be a fun thing to do some day.

Lasbrook wrote: »
    I just found out I live like a mile or two away from Moniker Guitars, a custom shop that lets you design pretty much every aspect of your guitar.

https://monikerguitars.com/guitar-configurator/

It'd be wasted on me now but man that would be a fun thing to do some day.

Jealous

Have you ever heard of a gayageum before? It's a traditional Korean instrument, and there's a woman who goes by Luna who totally fucking kills at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAMPV7mWhm8

(at least watch this one for the solo at 5:53 because holy shit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-T0eBr31w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpVDafY6Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1mFb2jv98

I think I could probably watch her play all day long.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I just unstuck the 3rd valve slide for my Tenor Horn (Alto Horn to USAians) and I am so stoked that I'm resurrecting this thread.

Gvzbgul on
    edited October 2020
    /

Donovan Puppyfucker on