As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I've never seen that! I should go find a copy.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i saw lxg multiple times at my college movie theater. i love that movie.

sameeee

that movie is terrible, but I love it

captain nemo definitely fucks

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love LXG.

I’ll never argue that it’s a good movie but I’ve had fun every time I’ve watched it...which is at least 10 times

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    i saw lxg multiple times at my college movie theater. i love that movie.

captain nemo definitely fucks

His beard alone has seen more action than I could hope to achieve in my lifetime.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The story about how he accepted the role of LXG remains my favorite Connery thing

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Going to watch Hocus Pocus tonight. Haven't seen it in a while.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I... don’t really care for Hocus Pocus.

Don’t kill me

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    so House is a pretty wild movie, huh

This is the best possible description.

EiezfQNWoAESxgt?format=jpg&name=large

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Captain Nemo just all of a sudden being a ninja reveal kills me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    re HOUSE: That's because, according to the wiki article at least, large parts of it were, or at least the result of the director listening to one (his daughter).

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    re HOUSE: That's because, according to the wiki article at least, large parts of it were, or at least the result of the director listening to one (his daughter).

So House was the original Axe Cop? That...makes a lot of sense, actually.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Not that far out of bounds actually. India is where Eastern martial arts began all the way back in the veddic period. And the curved flasher he used would be something used in those arts, though not as distinctively Indian as the katara (fist dagger, think Voldo from Soul Calibur) or urumi (whip sword, similar to Ivy, but one ribbon of honed steel that could fuck shit up from 8-10 feet).

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I just noticed for the first time a dude at the parent costume party where the witches sing the spell song is dressed in a very intricate Tron costume.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Also, I think it would be very easy to see the witches in Hocus Pocus existing in the What We Do in the Shadows universe.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Also, I think it would be very easy to see the witches in Hocus Pocus existing in the What We Do in the Shadows universe.

I would pop so goddamn hard at that

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Not that far out of bounds actually. India is where Eastern martial arts began all the way back in the veddic period. And the curved flasher he used would be something used in those arts, though not as distinctively Indian as the katara (fist dagger, think Voldo from Soul Calibur) or urumi (whip sword, similar to Ivy, but one single ribbon of honed steel that could fuck shit up from 8-10 feet).

he uses a scimitar/falcata style sword with a very indian looking pommel

an urumi would've been too absurd for most people, cause urumi users are terrifying lunatics and actual sword wizards

• Options
    edited November 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

like, imagine you're just chilling there and the uncle on the right just decides it's time to turn you into ground beef

the fuck are you gonna do other than applaud?

PiptheFair on
  • Options

Shit myself?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

like, imagine you're just chilling there and the uncle on the right just decides it's time to turn you into ground beef

what the fuck, i'm scared of the tape measure snapping back at me

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I just went immediately to look up what an urumi was and watched that exact video coincidentally and yes lunatics and sword wizards. What the hell?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

"The imagination of a child is better than anything I could dream up."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScqWA2qNW8

homeboy dual wields them

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Indivisble had a character use an urumi that also doubled as a turban which I thought was cool

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I honestly really like that uncle has a big ol' belly but is also fuckin' shredded. Strong people are also sometimes fat!

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Indivisble had a character use an urumi that also doubled as a turban which I thought was cool

traditionally the urumi was worn as a belt/sash

• Options
    This made me remember a time when I had been fencing for years and my opponent did a “flick” against me. A flick in foil fencing is when you hit your opponent, or their foil in such a way to cause your foil’s tip to whip around to touch your opponent in normally out of reach areas.

My opponent hit me on my shoulder very hard which caused the foil to curve around and the sensor registered a point on my back.

Even with the multiple layers and added metallic vest, I had a huge bruise there for weeks.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

homeboy dual wields them

I wonder how many times he had to get all his toes sewn back on whilst he was learning?

• Options

homeboy dual wields them

I wonder how many times he had to get all his toes sewn back on whilst he was learning?

the urumi is the last weapon you learn in a line of martial arts

you are already tremendously well-trained by the time you fucking touch it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This made me remember a time when I had been fencing for years and my opponent did a “flick” against me. A flick in foil fencing is when you hit your opponent, or their foil in such a way to cause your foil’s tip to whip around to touch your opponent in normally out of reach areas.

My opponent hit me on my shoulder very hard which caused the foil to curve around and the sensor registered a point on my back.

Even with the multiple layers and added metallic vest, I had a huge bruise there for weeks.

The first time you get flicked your immediate response is "that's fucking bullshit." Or at least, mine was.

It's quite something.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    is an urumi the same thing as a sural?

I only know about surals because of my boy Gideon

250?cb=20130122101532

• Options
    a sural is a make believe thing, but yeah what gideon uses is very similar to an urumi

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    i'm finally doing it, gang

i am finally watching every friday the 13th movie and scouring them for details to find out just how long the nineteen eighties lasted.

i am also gonna determine how old jason was before being sent into space

my general notes ahead of time:

1. freddy vs jason happens before jason x
    2. jason goes to hell happens on the new earth jason was dumped on at the end of jason x
    3. alice's dream at the end of the original did not happen.

we have a north star in that this universe did have a nineteen fifties: jason drowned in 1957. so time does flow, but we may need to do some math to figure out how much time passed between jason takes manhattan and freddy vs jason.

Can you expound on #2 please

Yeah, doesn't the end of Jason Goes to Hell segue into Freddy vs Jason?

a common misconception!

but jason is brought to hell at the voorhees house in jason goes to hell, but in freddy vs. jason he pops up out of water when brought back.

furthermore, freddy krueger cannot talk to the dead, but he can talk to those that are dreaming

what you are seeing is krueger jolting jason awake from one of his many dormant states that he is famous for

e: and so i don't triple post, @Undead Scottsman i will be plotting where freddy's dead and post-apocalyptic springwood fit in

the rest of the main nightmares line up jason lives; as they exist solely in the post-frankenstein jason world

POINT OF ORDER! I'm in the midst of my Halloween Freddy vs Jason rewatch, and Jason pops up in a forest at the beginning, not in water.

EDIT: Also, Freddy says he had to search the bowels of hell to find Jason. There's nothing saying people in hell don't dream.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    you're right; forest is the beginning and water is the end. this is the only thing i am incorrect about, however!

seeing as how neither is the voorhees house!

and why would freddy have to search for jason in hell when he was the one who dragged him down there in jason goes to hell? once krueger has a link with you he can find you anywhere.

and, if we are saying that this films happened in release order, krueger's abilities were sealed away years prior by dream demons. he could not possibly have infiltrated his dreams after jason goes to hell.

clearly the "bowels of hell" is just a dramatic exaggeration for how difficult it was to find jason voorhees' consciousness, or what is left of it.

jason wins in freddy vs jason
    then freddy evens the score by dragging him to hell in jason goes to hell.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Where did Jason get his hydrophobia in FvJ? Homeboy walked underwater to New York.

These are my burning questions, RK!

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Where did Jason get his hydrophobia in FvJ? Homeboy walked underwater to New York.

These are my burning questions, RK!

I think the idea is it is something buried deep inside the child Jason was that Freddy brought to the surface.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    look i am just up to jason lives, we have already spent ten years going from 1979 to 1985 and now i gotta reconcile the original nightmare on elm street canonically taking place in 1981

it will all come together in time

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    did we already do this? because this.
    nAAa3T6.jpg

Depressperado on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Going to jump in with one of my favorite fun facts about the Friday the 13th remake:

It takes place in the Transformers/Bumblebee Bay universe. In Transforms, Megan Fox/Mikaela gets invited to blonde rich teen Trent's parents' cabin by Trent, which she declines to pursue Witicky.

Three years later, Trent and a bunch of his friends go to the cabin and are just absolutely beefed by silent daddymask in the remake.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    you're right; forest is the beginning and water is the end. this is the only thing i am incorrect about, however!

seeing as how neither is the voorhees house!

and why would freddy have to search for jason in hell when he was the one who dragged him down there in jason goes to hell? once krueger has a link with you he can find you anywhere.

and, if we are saying that this films happened in release order, krueger's abilities were sealed away years prior by dream demons. he could not possibly have infiltrated his dreams after jason goes to hell.

clearly the "bowels of hell" is just a dramatic exaggeration for how difficult it was to find jason voorhees' consciousness, or what is left of it.

jason wins in freddy vs jason
    then freddy evens the score by dragging him to hell in jason goes to hell.

He doesn't, I don't think? Jason gets dragged to hell via whatever weird supernatural bullshit happens at the end of the movie. Freddy just grabs his mask. (It's been a LONG time since I've seen Jason Goes to Hell)

This discussion has been closed.