As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Very subjective question:

I have a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 blackout. It's a handy little very-short-end-of-mid-range bolt rifle.

The stock is way too short for me, though. I'm split between getting a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (I got a slightly different Boyd's stock for my .22 and love it) for ~$300 after tax and shipping, or just spending <$80 and getting a slip-on recoil pad and adjustable kydex comb to extend the length of pull.

The existing stock is pretty cheap, light, and given that it shoots 300blk, it's not like I'm trying to ring steel at 600 yards.

The Boyd's would be more expensive and heavier, but wouldhave significantly better ergonomics without me having to add a bunch of stuff to it.
    Thoughts?

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Either sounds good (I think weight is a big concern for a handy light rifle like that). Idk what your finances are but I'd start with the cheap solution and then work your way up. Better to spend 80 and be disappointed than spend 300 only to find out the cheaper solution would of worked. Imo.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I’d go with whatever adds length at cheapest cost

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    edited October 2020
    Either sounds good (I think weight is a big concern for a handy light rifle like that). Idk what your finances are but I'd start with the cheap solution and then work your way up. Better to spend 80 and be disappointed than spend 300 only to find out the cheaper solution would of worked. Imo.

Yeah. On the other hand, it sucks to think you can get away with spending $80 instead of $300, and end up spending $380

I haven't heard any complaints about the limbsaver slip-on deals, so I'll probably go that route.

Doc on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Doc wrote: »
    Very subjective question:

I have a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300 blackout. It's a handy little very-short-end-of-mid-range bolt rifle.

The stock is way too short for me, though. I'm split between getting a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (I got a slightly different Boyd's stock for my .22 and love it) for ~$300 after tax and shipping, or just spending <$80 and getting a slip-on recoil pad and adjustable kydex comb to extend the length of pull.

The existing stock is pretty cheap, light, and given that it shoots 300blk, it's not like I'm trying to ring steel at 600 yards.

The Boyd's would be more expensive and heavier, but wouldhave significantly better ergonomics without me having to add a bunch of stuff to it.
    Thoughts?

I'd do the pad and comb, for $300 you're in range of just throwing the wholen thing into an Oryx chassis and I wouldn't bother with that

I don't care for Boyd's though so I'm biased, ymmv

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited October 2020
    shorttimin wrote: »
    So this appeared in my usual gun blog circles, and I'm super impressed.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K_GJ8La_VXA

Full auto with a brace.

/facepalm

Still pretty great though!

Doc on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Yeah. On the other hand, it sucks to think you can get away with spending $80 instead of $300, and end up spending $380

I haven't heard any complaints about the limbsaver slip-on deals, so I'll probably go that route.

I game theoried this to much:

Spend 80, works: No money lost
    Spend 300, works: no money lost
    Spend 80 then 300: lose 80 dollars
    Spend 300, realize the 80 dollar solution would of worked: spent 220 dollars more than needed.

Now, this assume that you dont highly suspect that the more expensive option is right and are just trying to talk yourself into a cheaper solution.

I ended up just getting the slip-on limbsaver and a well recommended kydex cheek riser. We'll see how it goes!

Think of it this way, the limb saver and comb can be flipped or returned rather easily if they don’t work out.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey ya'll, so my AR-15 has one of those big steel front sites, and a flip up rear site. I upgraded to a red dot and I can see the front site through the optic. The red dot sits right on top of it. It doesn't seem to be an issue, the iron site doesn't poke through the top or anything but are there any concerns I'm missing? I didn't want to tear down the gun to take that front site off.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Nope! That’s just cowitnessing, sounds like absolute cowitness if it’s “lollipopping” your front sight post.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nope! That’s just cowitnessing, sounds like absolute cowitness if it’s “lollipopping” your front sight post.

Yes! Lolipopping. That is exactly what it is doing. Just read up on co-witnessing and I think I'll just leave it be.

webguy20 on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Paul Harrell with a new instructional video on defeating the orange menace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kDdaQpqlQ

nibXTE7.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yes! Lolipopping. That is exactly what it is doing. Just read up on co-witnessing and I think I'll just leave it be.

There are mounts that fit between a red dot and the rail to add a little more height if you ever think it's a bit too much front sight in the window. I have one for my EOtech. So there are ways to tweak it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Hey ya'll, so my AR-15 has one of those big steel front sites, and a flip up rear site. I upgraded to a red dot and I can see the front site through the optic. The red dot sits right on top of it. It doesn't seem to be an issue, the iron site doesn't poke through the top or anything but are there any concerns I'm missing? I didn't want to tear down the gun to take that front site off.

Besides the cowitness thing that you've discovered, the front sight is likely integrated with the gas block, so getting rid of it isn't just a matter of pulling it off.

That’s what the dremel is for, duh

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    That’s what the dremel is for, duh

On one hand I'd feel so gross doing tha

On the other hand, it does make more sense than buying a low profile gas block and going through the trouble installing it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    I’m fine with irons, even with a LPVO I don’t find them to be in the way.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Pfff, you kids and your lasers and your "optics", what do you think this is, cowadootie modern warfart? You tryin' to be an OPERATOR, son? Real men (like me) shoot irons!
    God I wish I could afford a decent reflex sight.

Pfff, you kids and your lasers and your "optics", what do you think this is, cowadootie modern warfart? You tryin' to be an OPERATOR, son? Real men (like me) shoot irons!

Good reflex > Using irons > airsoft-quality reflex.

It's better than caving in and getting some wish.com crap.

edited October 2020

astigmatism camp gogogo

irons on pistols and LPVOs on rifles, or that cool 1x etched fixed that Primary Arms does

SummaryJudgment on

astigmatism camp gogogo

irons on pistols and LPVOs on rifles, or that cool 1x etched fixed that Primary Arms does

I have their fixed 2.5x etched. It's pretty good.

edited October 2020

astigmatism camp gogogo

I have their fixed 2.5x etched. It's pretty good.

I was considering that or their 1-6 for my AK, on 1x it's passable for a dot (and a hell of a lot better than the canted irons it came with)

SummaryJudgment on
    Primary also make a 3x available for AK’s on their etched. I know AKOU uses them a lot.

I want a 2x or 3x if I can ever find a ZPAP in stock.

I’ve resisted the pistol version thus far because it lacks side rail, although it would be a cool improv flamethrower.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I still haven't picked up a scout scope for my M1A.

Weaver wrote: »

Optics are fucking expensive.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

In some ways, I feel I kinda cheaped out a bit by picking up a (now discontinued) Nikon ProStaff5 for my RFB. I figured 2.5x-10x zoom was plenty for a rifle that uses a FAL bolt.

Kinda wish ACOGs (or similar) were cheaper so I could get one and toss it on my X95.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited November 2020
    Kind of interesting

I had an idea in my head of what 300 Blackout was - basically, like a 762x39 that you either load hot (giving you basically 7.62x39 or 30-30) or you load heavy for suppressed use

Someone mentioned it's damn near identical to .45ACP when loaded subsonic, and sure enough

SummaryJudgment on
    Kind of interesting

I had an idea in my head of what 300 Blackout was - basically, like a 762x39 that you either load hot (giving you basically 7.62x39 or 30-30) or you load heavy for suppressed use

Someone mentioned it's damn near identical to .45ACP when loaded subsonic, and sure enough

Plus there's the bonus that it's tremendously expensive!

Primary arms has some nuts sales occasionally, it’s worth checking regularly if you’re looking for optics. I picked up a Trijicon Accupower 1-6x for like $400 this year.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I have astigmatism as well, though I've found as long as it's really bright outside when I'm shooting the red dot is easier to manage. But prismatic sights are the way to go, as well as holo sites (like an eotech) as I get no starbursting with those. I picked up one of the vortex etched reticles (spitfire I think?) on my scorpion and it's made a pretty big difference. I also picked up one of the holosun he510c (green) sights and had no issues with it either.

edited November 2020
    So when I ordered bulk ammo, I did not expect to just get a box full of loose rounds. That was quite surprising! I'm now imaging that this warehouse has a row of containers, like you find in the bulk section of your grocery store, but filled with different ammos instead of granola and rolled oats. I should be set for the next couple months though!

elz8xa5h7e7w.jpg

webguy20 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    jipsck7loeyb.jpg
    Bottom one is a Romanian SR1 7.62x39. $1050 and included 2 mags, and 100 rounds. Is that a good deal?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited November 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »
      jipsck7loeyb.jpg
      Bottom one is a Romanian SR1 7.62x39. $1050 and included 2 mags, and 100 rounds. Is that a good deal?

It's not a great one, but everything is super expensive and out of stock right now. The mags are $20 a pop and the ammo is maybe 30 bucks. This is supposedly a WASR with better fit and finish (at least, compared to other old manufacture WASRs).

So, a thousand bones... There's a number of new manufacture AKs that are available for that or less. Buying a used AK kind of scared me, since I'd no idea of what to really look for, and a lot of what you can see without disassembling is cosmetic fit and finish stuff versus a headspace issue or something, which, kaboom

And it's hard to find info since the community is Not Great, i.e. virulently biased towards one brand or another

(then again, a lot of them despise Palmetto State Armory or other American manufacture rifles, which is what I went with, sooo)

edit: stuff is really out of stock

SummaryJudgment on
      https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-103-forged-classic-side-folder-polymer-rifle.html

This was $1000 but you need to be checking to catch it back in stock, it was earlier today

The GF3, GF4, AK-E and PSAK are all good

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I should add this offer is from a buddy of mine's brother. He says the AK is mint condition though I'm not sure what that means. If I counter with 950, would that be fair?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        edited November 2020
        Spend some time watching AK Operator’s Union 47-74 on YouTube.

Do as much research as you can. It is a seller’s market, so is $1000 fair? Not for that particular model. 4 years ago would I have bought one at $600? Probably. Would I buy one at $1000 now? No. I would rather try to get my hands on a PSA (103/GF4/their 74 if reviews hold up), ZPAP(M70 for rifle with bulged trunnion or M92 if pistol), or maybe an offering from WBP (I personally have only done surface level research). Because those are all I’ve seen recently on sale. K-USA just released their 103, i’d like to see how that does.

If the right price for a ZPAP shows up, I’ll buy it, or if by the time Rob Ski’s tests are done on a PSA 74 and they’re available, I would get one.

Dead Legend on
        https://www.dld-vip.com/physical/zastava-m70-walnut-762x39

Sold out now, but a ZPAP with an RPK trunnion for 899

Yeah, I saw that a couple hours too late. Circle10 has blems with no furniture for $799

Instead of a cool new bolt gun, what if I got another pistol? Couldn’t pass on a G19 MOS for under $500, is RMR still the gold standard for pistol optics or this another case where Holosun gets you there for way under Trijicon pricing?