As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
How awesome is this government?

Bogart on

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away 131 votes

So awesome
6%
JammersjaziekevilthecatsurrealitycheckTenekCaptainBeyonddiscriderlappdance 8 votes
Not that awesome
0%
MulysaSempronius 1 vote
Decidedly not awesome
0%
Mild Confusion 1 vote
Shitty
2%
PantsBSchadenfreudedaveNYC 3 votes
So shitty
7%
ZiggymonRingoMr BubblesM-VickersklemmingCroakerBCLucedesTipharethErlecH3Knuckles 10 votes
The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
26%
ForarAlistair Huttonautono-wally, erotibot300tynicAridholAimElldrenTheGerbilT-boltWerewolf2000adAnarchy Rules!TastyfishBogartRamiAldoHybridAntoshkaDesktop HippieShakey1245Uncle_Balsamic 35 votes
[hollow screaming intensifies]
55%
SporkAndreweEK!AegeriEchoMojo_JojoRed or AliveJazzDevoutlyApatheticdylmanKarlSonelanBahamutZEROceressilence1186Kim kongShadowenP10Rhesus PositiveSharpyVIINorgoth 73 votes

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We don’t have a vote, but we can still have a poll!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I wonder if this means supermarkets bringing back the one way systems that most people ignored

I'll be quite happy if it slims down the number of people at work back down to how it was in June

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    To be absolutely clear; I only voted for 'So shitty' because a) it can always get worse (and I'm sure it's going to), and b) my internal throat is sore, so it can't scream any more.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I chose my answer based on enjoying the phrase "shower of bastards". Much like how I choose bottles of wine based on the label picture. I probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gonna head to the supermarket later to see how panicky people are.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

On Thursday French Girl went to Tesco and found the toilet roll aisle closed to shoppers. You had to ask a member of staff for anything down there.

I wouldn't expect hoarding to be as bad this time around though. People saw it wasn't really needed.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I thought of leaving a tub of Celebrations outside my front door in case trick or treaters wanted to chance their arm, but I didn't want Edwin Poots to yell at me.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    I think for this thread I will be focussing on the positives.

A 4 week lock down is a pretty substantial move and will go a long way to help curb the corona virus.
    I am positive that the british public will pull together so that they all can enjoy the upcoming christmas festivities!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    There was a book about Chernobyl I read a while back, before the show came out, and there was a committee meeting after the accident where one guy gave his absolute assurance that reactor four would be up and running again by October. This would be the reactor that exploded, was completely destroyed and shall remain dangerous to be around for millennia.

I've definitely seen aspects of that guy in government timetables around Covid.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

On Thursday French Girl went to Tesco and found the toilet roll aisle closed to shoppers. You had to ask a member of staff for anything down there.

I wouldn't expect hoarding to be as bad this time around though. People saw it wasn't really needed.

How is toilet paper manufacturing in the UK?

I know when shortages were happening in Australia, I was very fucking annoyed.

Not because I had a need as such, but because the panic buying was because of a stupid rumor on Facebook.

Someone said that the majority of TP was imported from China, and there would be shortages. This lead to those people who believed it panic buying. Which meant that other people see the shortages and buy up. Which means other people, and around and around we go.

The thing is, Australia makes the vast majority of its own toilet paper. There was never any risk of a shortage. Just people being fucking dumb and making life harder for others.

So, does the UK make much itself, or is there a real risk of shortage?

MorganV wrote: »

Not because I had a need as such, but because the panic buying was because of a stupid rumor on Facebook.

Someone said that the majority of TP was imported from China, and there would be shortages. This lead to those people who believed it panic buying. Which meant that other people see the shortages and buy up. Which means other people, and around and around we go.

The thing is, Australia makes the vast majority of its own toilet paper. There was never any risk of a shortage. Just people being fucking dumb and making life harder for others.

No, it's all locally produced too

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I chose my answer based on enjoying the phrase "shower of bastards". Much like how I choose bottles of wine based on the label picture. I probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

As long as you know what the label looks like, you are not the worst customer I've helped.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Yeah, back in late March was when that situation hit here in Sweden. There wasn't a shortage, there was just a delivery pipeline that couldn't handle the sudden increased demand. Once it adapted everything was back in stock again.

I was extra annoyed because I was genuinely down to my last two rolls.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I've been prepping my extended family for a lockdown Christmas. I think it's best to plant the idea that that may actually happen now, so we can plan accordingly.

Also had a lot of success talking with my conservative family about the situation by not talking about what the opposition would do, but by other countries that have seen success (NZ). So that's nice.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Seeing as the first Lockdown on the 23rd of March was only supposed to be for three weeks, and that this one is still keeping the schools open, there's no doubt in my mind that the lockdown will extend past Christmas.
    I reckon it'll be suspended over Christmas though - whether that's Christmas and Boxing day or the whole week I'm less sure about.

There's no way this government, with their current popularity decides to cancel Christmas, regardless of whether it is the right move or not.

wi4qfl9l1iz5.png

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Andrew Neill is a full on covid Denialist. Over the last couple of week s he's fabled with Covid Data Wrangling to try and make it look like there has been no increase in Sweden but now he's just flat out making up numbers and denying reality.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    How awesome is this government?

Before I answer this poll, I'm gonna need some clarification. Does "the government" in this, the Hiberno-Britannic thread, include the government of the Republic of Ireland, or is this strictly about the United Kingdom's government?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Andrew Neill is a full on covid Denialist. Over the last couple of week s he's fabled work Covid Data Wrangling to try and make it look like there has been no increase in Sweden but now he's just flat out making up numbers and denying reality.

Andrew Neill is a full on mad bastard, some of the things he's said... he shouldn't be allowed to work as a journalist

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Seeing as the first Lockdown on the 23rd of March was only supposed to be for three weeks, and that this one is still keeping the schools open, there's no doubt in my mind that the lockdown will extend past Christmas.
    I reckon it'll be suspended over Christmas though - whether that's Christmas and Boxing day or the whole week I'm less sure about.

There's no way this government, with their current popularity decides to cancel Christmas, regardless of whether it is the right move or not.

They won't extend this lockdown, even if it isn't effective enough. It'll get things down to where they can ride out a rise through December, deny any chance of a third lockdown in January, and announce one for February two weeks after it becomes obvious that it's needed.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2020
    Andrew Neill is a full on covid Denialist. Over the last couple of week s he's fabled work Covid Data Wrangling to try and make it look like there has been no increase in Sweden but now he's just flat out making up numbers and denying reality.

I'll try to refrain from rambling too much about this, but seriously, what is up with this weird international obsession with Sweden?

"Oh, if we just do what Sweden did, while ignoring the entirety of the rest of how Swedish society is set up with paid parental leave and universal healthcare etc, then surely we can get the same results!"

Also we're totally hitting the second wave now.

Echo on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Paracetamol was empty when I went to a massive tesco yesterday - and this was pre any Boris announcement too. I guess because fuck you if you're in pain because I need to hoard?

• japanjapan Registered User regular

(Sky News correspondent)

The Sunday Times article is paywalled, but the gist appears to be that the app in use in England isn't actually warning people that they need to self isolate

• CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    So awesome
    This government is so awesome... from a Scottish independence perspective

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    japan wrote: »

(Sky News correspondent)

The Sunday Times article is paywalled, but the gist appears to be that the app in use in England isn't actually warning people that they need to self isolate

Meanwhile my work is trying to figure out how to get people to ignore the app isolation notifications after several whole shifts have been told to isolate after numerous members of staff tested positive....

SharpyVII on
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    My work sent out an email encouraging people to use the app but to disable contact tracing. Nope.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    dylman wrote: »
    My work sent out an email encouraging people to use the app but to disable contact tracing. Nope.

It's not surprising loads of people at my work have had the isolation notification.

The main outbreak has been in the smaller control room which has no windows and uses air con. I know of several people who've tested positive in that room so unsurprisingly it's triggered dozens of isolation requests.

In my room, the manager sitting next to me received an isolation notification and has chosen to ignore it...

I've emailed the team that have been collating all COVID stuff to ask for advice. Probably gonna contact the union too.

Notifications from the app aren't currently legally enforceable. However, I work for the Police, sets a poor precedent if all our civilian staff catch Covid because we were forced to ignore the app.

Even more so now that it's been revealed the app is actually issuing too few requests....

SharpyVII on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Sixth Axis has a good article up regarding the impending lockdown and the availability of physical Xbox Series X/S and PS5 preorders...

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/10/31/what-will-happen-to-physical-ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-pre-orders-if-the-uk-goes-into-lockdown/

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Man, that's a bummer SharpyVII. Nothing like getting long term medical effects because you can't take precautions.

One of those medical effects is that people who have been hit the hardest(like Boris), seems to have had their brains age 10 years as a result of Covid.

I don't think Boris has got 10 years worth of brains to lose.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    dylman wrote: »

My work is the same, because we are apparently a COVID safe environment.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So awesome
    how is the "sensible" right wing press taking it?

9x2xymmhzi7e.png

just wait until the telegraph finds out about the rest of human healthcare which, as of now, has not succeeded in unlocking immortality

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Now selling cures by the pound. Ounces of prevention, all out of stock.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    by Jove, I think it just might be!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    He's definitely right in that all conservative columnists would do a fucking godawful job at handling this crisis, and have absolutely no business running anything more complex than a bubble bath

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome
    "is it the case that the gov is confronted by a breakdown of the medical system that looks atrocious and would be unacceptable to the public at large, and are taking the only measure they know to be effective? is it the case that rationalising away the abstracted cost of a disease gives an incorrect picture of the actual decision? is it the case that i have confused rhetoric for thought my entire life, and do not in fact know what thinking looks like?"

yes daniel it is good luck

obF2Wuw.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    So shitty

The supply of toilet paper is predicted on it being bought at a certain rate.

Empty shelves are caused by people bulk buying far more than they ordinarily would.

Other people see this and buy more, just in case. Then you get empty shelves, so people go else where and buy extra, just in case.

The supply is fine, it's just idiots that are the problem.

This time, it looks like the supermarkets are getting ahead of it, and limiting the quantity people can buy, which is good.

Because people are idiots.

But Brexit will be an interesting change as then we'll actually see supply problems on top of hoarding

Hearing from trusted friends that there's panic buying at supermarkets, and I couldn't get an online delivery slot for at least a week and a half. I've got a click & collect one for next weekend, though. Better to get it booked in now, but I'm good for most things until at least then.

I haven't done click & collect before, so, new experience ahoy!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A quick plug for local farm shops, if you've got any - I couldn't get a supermarket delivery slot for love nor money in the first Lockdown, but I found a farm shop that delivered and which provided me with 100% of my fresh fruit and veg for two or three months

It's worth a quick Google as many of them will have extra supply from losing the hospitality trade

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    But Brexit will be an interesting change as then we'll actually see supply problems on top of hoarding

Reeeeally starting to think the combination of lockdown, perhaps extended but definitely again early next year, Brexit supply problems, further economic damage, is going to start resulting in civil unrest to some degree.

This discussion has been closed.