As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Gonna head to the supermarket later to see how panicky people are.

On Thursday French Girl went to Tesco and found the toilet roll aisle closed to shoppers. You had to ask a member of staff for anything down there.

I wouldn't expect hoarding to be as bad this time around though. People saw it wasn't really needed.

How is toilet paper manufacturing in the UK?

I know when shortages were happening in Australia, I was very fucking annoyed.

Not because I had a need as such, but because the panic buying was because of a stupid rumor on Facebook.

Someone said that the majority of TP was imported from China, and there would be shortages. This lead to those people who believed it panic buying. Which meant that other people see the shortages and buy up. Which means other people, and around and around we go.

The thing is, Australia makes the vast majority of its own toilet paper. There was never any risk of a shortage. Just people being fucking dumb and making life harder for others.

So, does the UK make much itself, or is there a real risk of shortage?

The supply of toilet paper is predicted on it being bought at a certain rate.

Empty shelves are caused by people bulk buying far more than they ordinarily would.

Other people see this and buy more, just in case. Then you get empty shelves, so people go else where and buy extra, just in case.

The supply is fine, it's just idiots that are the problem.

This time, it looks like the supermarkets are getting ahead of it, and limiting the quantity people can buy, which is good.

Because people are idiots.

Yes and no. There's also the bifurcated nature of the supply assuming a certain amount of people are pooping at the office or restaurants &c. Which has dropped drastically, but been balanced out by increased pooping at home. Since they are different sized rolls, bought by different suppliers, and all that it can cause things to be tricky for a bit while you reconfigure.

• PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    I'm in the UK right now for family reasons, but I've done all I can and noped right out and fly back to Canada on Tuesday.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    So shitty
    But Brexit will be an interesting change as then we'll actually see supply problems on top of hoarding

Watch out for riots with 24 hours of beer and cigarette supply problems.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Or hoarding..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    moniker wrote: »

On Thursday French Girl went to Tesco and found the toilet roll aisle closed to shoppers. You had to ask a member of staff for anything down there.

I wouldn't expect hoarding to be as bad this time around though. People saw it wasn't really needed.

Not because I had a need as such, but because the panic buying was because of a stupid rumor on Facebook.

Someone said that the majority of TP was imported from China, and there would be shortages. This lead to those people who believed it panic buying. Which meant that other people see the shortages and buy up. Which means other people, and around and around we go.

The thing is, Australia makes the vast majority of its own toilet paper. There was never any risk of a shortage. Just people being fucking dumb and making life harder for others.

Empty shelves are caused by people bulk buying far more than they ordinarily would.

Other people see this and buy more, just in case. Then you get empty shelves, so people go else where and buy extra, just in case.

This time, it looks like the supermarkets are getting ahead of it, and limiting the quantity people can buy, which is good.

Yes and no. There's also the bifurcated nature of the supply assuming a certain amount of people are pooping at the office or restaurants &c. Which has dropped drastically, but been balanced out by increased pooping at home. Since they are different sized rolls, bought by different suppliers, and all that it can cause things to be tricky for a bit while you reconfigure.

Not to mention the same suppliers don't often make both grades.
    And that lockdowns and illness mess with supply chains, not to mention various shipments getting reprioritised at multiple levels.

I'm pretty sure people weren't panic buying cardamons and sweet chilli in the first lockdown, but they were even harder to get hold of than flour (if you knew where to get it).
    Modern supply chains in supermarkets are fragile, even if some items have a lot of redundancy built in.
    But Brexit will be an interesting change as then we'll actually see supply problems on top of hoarding

We make enough of the 'imported' beers that I'm not worried there (marmite used to be the leftovers from Stella), and I just can't see tobacco riots doing much in this day and age.

Tastyfish on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Not to mention the same suppliers don't often make both grades.
    And that lockdowns and illness mess with supply chains, not to mention various shipments getting reprioritised at multiple levels.

I'm pretty sure people weren't panic buying cardamons and sweet chilli in the first lockdown, but they were even harder to get hold of than flour (if you knew where to get it).
    Modern supply chains in supermarkets are fragile, even if some items have a lot of redundancy built in.

We make enough of the 'imported' beers that I'm not worried there (marmite used to be the leftovers from Stella), and I just can't see tobacco riots doing much in this day and age.

Definitely riots if they have to stop the football, though. (I'd raise merry hell if it messes up the F1 season. I might go so far as to sigh in annoyance and say some rude words in the privacy of my own home. Let's see how they like that.)

Jazz on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-farage-idUSKBN27H1TW
    LONDON (Reuters) - Nigel Farage, the British politician who helped force a Brexit referendum and successfully campaigned to leave the European Union, will fight Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s COVID-19 lockdown by recasting his small Brexit Party as Reform UK.

Cast by his supporters as the godfather of Brexit, Farage said Johnson had terrified the United Kingdom into submission over COVID-19 and squandered vast amounts of taxpayers’ money while holding out hopes of a “miraculous” vaccine.

“The single most pressing issue is the government’s woeful response to coronavirus,” Farage and Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice said in a joint article in The Daily Telegraph.

“Ministers have lost touch with a nation divided between the terrified and the furious. The debate over how to respond to COVID is becoming even more toxic than that over Brexit.”

You just can't get rid of him.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Grifters gotta grift. Hanging out at Dover screaming about immigrants didn't quite give him the push he needed so he'll be lockdown denial king instead. Polls suggest there's broad support for the lockdown, but there's always a big enough crazification factor for grifters like Farage to find an angle to make money.

Still amazing that he charged people to stand as MP candidates and then didn't let them stand, and kept their money.

So shitty
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-farage-idUSKBN27H1TW
    LONDON (Reuters) - Nigel Farage, the British politician who helped force a Brexit referendum and successfully campaigned to leave the European Union, will fight Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s COVID-19 lockdown by recasting his small Brexit Party as Reform UK.

Cast by his supporters as the godfather of Brexit, Farage said Johnson had terrified the United Kingdom into submission over COVID-19 and squandered vast amounts of taxpayers’ money while holding out hopes of a “miraculous” vaccine.

“The single most pressing issue is the government’s woeful response to coronavirus,” Farage and Brexit Party chairman Richard Tice said in a joint article in The Daily Telegraph.

“Ministers have lost touch with a nation divided between the terrified and the furious. The debate over how to respond to COVID is becoming even more toxic than that over Brexit.”

You just can't get rid of him.

Gotta keep grifting.

What else was he going to do, get a real job ?

There's a Covid conspiracy theorist in town every Saturday yawping out his bullshit. He hasn't drawn a crowd larger than a dozen when I've seen him, and he's often drowned out by the local branch of the revolutionary communist party telling everyone how great life is in Cuba.

• HerculePyroHerculePyro Lord Mayor's CroupierRegistered User regular
    Well, it wasn't like there was anywhere else for him to go. The man is an unelectable fuckup, so he may as well exist on the periphery, generally making the world a worse place by his mere presence.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    I'm not clicking on the link as I assume there's a picture of him and I don't need that in my life, but I assume Farage isn't actually offering any constructive options to what should be done?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    His supporters and the arseholes who think it's a hoax and/or fascistic to order a lockdown are basically the same 10% of the population. His advice on what should be done is give him money.

In March he was all for lockdowns and saving lives, of course. But he's sensed some unrest and wants to be at the front of it, raking in money from his idiot fanbase.

So shitty
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm not clicking on the link as I assume there's a picture of him and I don't need that in my life, but I assume Farage isn't actually offering any constructive options to what should be done?

What could he offer ?

We've left the EU, that was supposed to cure everything, right ?

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

What could he offer ?

He's just latching on the next trend able to destabilize the country.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Nigel Farage. The pube stuck to the soap in this shower of bastards.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

What could he offer ?

Probably the greatest unintentional asset to hostile powers

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

What could he offer ?

Turns out useful idiots are amazing at destroying a country, because they think they're helping it, and speak enough idiot to activate all the other idiots

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    So shitty
    There go my people, I must find out where they are going so I can lead them.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shitty

What could he offer ?

Assuming that Farage isn't aware of what this will do to the UK and simply doesn't care as long as it lines his pockets.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm curious how much traction the row about inconsistency of financial support is getting in the media outside my particular twitter bubble

Essentially, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Greater Manchester have all, in various ways and to different degrees, been looking for some assurances from the treasury as regards financial support in the event of stricter lockdown

The government has spent weeks insisting there will be no such support available

Then, England goes into lockdown and that support is committed to and made available within a day

Greater Manchester in particular are simultaneously relieved and extremely annoyed that what they have been fighting over for a fortnight is now forthcoming, but only because the South East needed it as well

The Scottish government has areas locked down as strictly as the whole of England, but doesn't presently need to impose those measures on the whole country. The UK government refuses to make any commitment to providing financial support should stricter lockdown be required, despite having made that available to England

Scotland may now go fully into lockdown purely because it's viewed as the only way to ensure that financial support will be made available (the logic being that the UK government refusing funding to one area of the country under the same measures as another area which is receiving funding is so obviously ridiculous as to be untenable)

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Probably not a lot because a lot of the media is in the south-east and doesn't give a shit about the rest of us

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    There's a Covid conspiracy theorist in town every Saturday yawping out his bullshit. He hasn't drawn a crowd larger than a dozen when I've seen him, and he's often drowned out by the local branch of the revolutionary communist party telling everyone how great life is in Cuba.
    What is the covid situation in Cuba?
    I'd expect the place is worse than UK, covid or no, for now, but i'm sure Tories are working on that as we speak.

Nyysjan on
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I'd expect the place is worse than UK, covid or no, for now, but i'm sure Tories are working on that as we speak.

Nobody knows because a tactic of authoritarian regimes all over the world is to just write "heart attack" or "respiratory faliure" on every death certificate.

But it can be assumed that is likely awful.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Nobody knows because a tactic of authoritarian regimes all over the world is to just write "heart attack" or "respiratory faliure" on every death certificate.

But it can be assumed that is likely awful.

Probably. As an island nation they started in a better position than most though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Rising but not terrible in relation to population (11.3 million). Which isn't that surprising, because Cuba has always been pretty good at public health:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/cuba/

And just from comparison, UK's population is around 6 times that of Cuba. If you multiple Cuba's death number (129) by six, you get 774.

UK has had 46,853 deaths, so... probably best not to compare and contrast much with Cuba.

Phillishere on
    So it turns out that the government's intractability on the issue of lockdown funding for anywhere that isn't the South east was so that they could contrive to have the new leader of the Scottish conservatives ask about it as a parliamentary question and Johnson could say "of course funding will be made available to other regions of the UK"

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome
    the same bad actors behind a hard brexit special interest conservative pressure party are now forming an anti-lockdown special interest conservative pressure party?

who could have seen this coming

obF2Wuw.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    So it turns out that the government's intractability on the issue of lockdown funding for anywhere that isn't the South east was so that they could contrive to have the new leader of the Scottish conservatives ask about it as a parliamentary question and Johnson could say "of course funding will be made available to other regions of the UK"

And the that was rowed back shortly afterwards. Sunak has the final say apparently.

This is worse than the police Scotland VAT stunt. So much worse.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    It's like they want Scotland to leave the union. I just don't understand. What is their plan? Their goal? Just why?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    So shitty
    It's like they want Scotland to leave the union. I just don't understand. What is their plan? Their goal? Just why?

We are following our national policy of Leave Everything. Now we’ve left the EU, time to break up the UK !

Scotland can go, Ireland is a massive headache so let’s just break ties to the entire island.

After that - what have Wales ever done for us, really ?

Soon it will be glorious England standing alone is a sea of Johnny Foreigners which is when, to the likes of Farage et al, England were bestest.

To the Tories, Scotland isn't something to be appeased or bargained with. It's something to be cowed, and if they make trouble they're ungrateful, not wronged.

So shitty
    But we do need to keep them around in case there's another war and we need to drop the unemployment figures.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    To the Tories, Scotland isn't something to be appeased or bargained with. It's something to be cowed, and if they make trouble they're ungrateful, not wronged.

So, nothing's changed since at least the late 11th century in terms of philosophy, just the violence levied?

I honestly think this is them trying to be clever. Like, I can see the thought process of engineering this situation where having a Scottish Tory MP raise it in parliament and getting a result could be spun as a positive, but...

Firstly, it's just so transparent that this has been contrived
    Secondly, the Scottish media have been getting more and more whipped up about this over the last couple of days, and this does nothing to repair the damage that has done to the image of the Tories and/or the UK government while they hatched their scheme
    Third, they're sufficiently incompetent that it didn't occur to them that the Scottish government would want detailed assurances and are going to be loud about not getting them notwithstanding whatever Johnson says in parliament

Tories resent Scotland mattering in its own right.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    "Oh we'll maybe defeat Covid by the spring."

What did I just say about the October Reactor?

So shitty

I fondly remember the days when it would all be over by Christmas...

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Wasn't it supposed to be all over by the summer as the hot weather would burn it out?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

They just neglected to mention which Christmas.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.