As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] Cable Television for the Internet Age

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    What else was dropping today? I swear there were two things, Truth Seekers and ????

Mando season 2 ep 1

Which was mandtastic.

After I’m done binging through Truth Seekers! It’s good so far.

50433.png?1708759015
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    If you liked Shawn of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, then holy shit, Truth Seekers was great.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My biggest problem with Prime is that every time I'm mucking about in it, I find something that looks good, and then it turns out to not be part of Prime and I have to rent it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That’s just the business model of Prime

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Say what you will about Netflix, I’ve never clicked on a movie or show and been told “uh that’s another $5 and a download”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    People here are cynical about netflix because they just increased their prices after they announced they were cancelling what, half a dozen shows that those same people liked.

Also because there is no reason to get excited about new netflix content because you can set your watch by when netflix is going to cancel a show without a resolution.

Also because netflix clearly doesn't have any interest in letting shows which have promise develop over a few seasons. Was season one of Schitts Creek great? No. But it developed into the only show in history that swept every single acting Emmy.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think the other side of things is that maybe there's an obligation from creators that are going to be on netflix to have an end point in advance and in the discussion with netflix that needs to come up and they either need to have a contract that says they get 3 seasons or 5 seasons or if they only get 2 then they need to do the story in 2.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I hope Netflix doesn't just cancel Cobra Kai after it's third season.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The trailer for season 3 also announced that it had been renewed for season 4.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

If they did, I think it would find yet another home, if the third season is good.

The creators said they were in talks with a few people, before Netflix won.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Stuff getting cancelled sucks, but stuff getting cancelled on cliffhangers is the writers fault 100%. It's like they think the networks give a shit about cliffhangers despite it clearly not working ever even once.

I will say this about Truth Seekers - It made me stop playing on my iPad while watching it. That’s high praise as not many things do that now a days.

Mandolorian was also nice and Timothy Oliphant is awesome so it made the good episode Awesome to me!

50433.png?1708759015
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Netflix seems to have precisely one Sean Connery film on it. First Knight.

I think I will go pull my DVD of The Name of the Rose off the shelf tonight.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Eh. I'm happy with what we've got out of it. It was already on the flabby side. It needs to embrace nonsense like the series 2 finale fight scene and only use the melodrama as an excuse for establishing the scenarios.

Why is Cobra Kai attempting to hijack a nuclear submarine and why are the other lot sorting it out rather than the navy?

Danny establishes a new car show room on a cruise ship and must fend off endless waves of pirates.

Hawk gets a new job in an Amazon sorting centre but ends up kicking a box into his boss' head

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Eh. I'm happy with what we've got out of it. It was already on the flabby side. It needs to embrace nonsense like the series 2 finale fight scene and only use the melodrama as an excuse for establishing the scenarios.

Why is Cobra Kai attempting to hijack a nuclear submarine and why are the other lot sorting it out rather than the navy?

Danny establishes a new car show room on a cruise ship and must fend off endless waves of pirates.

Hawk gets a new job in an Amazon sorting centre but ends up kicking a box into his boss' head

Kobra Kai works for me because it is so low stakes. We are not in the 80s anymore, the “hero” and “villain” are adults, and the humor and pathos comes from realizing that the drama of their lives revolves around a feud based in a niche sport whose popularity has plummeted since they were kids.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My biggest problem with Prime is that every time I'm mucking about in it, I find something that looks good, and then it turns out to not be part of Prime and I have to rent it.

Yeah, Amazon has even fucked up the "free" browsing because they let something like 4-5 other streaming services shit in the "free" category, so any given "free" Prime movie has like a 20% chance of actually being free and the rest of the time it's stuck on some other fucking service that forces you to watch ads.

Shouldn't even be legal, to be honest. Ad-driven is not "free", but Prime knows people will just skip right past that crap if they label it honestly as "ad-supported".

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I just want Netflix to commit to more crazy shows. Russian Doll. The OA. Maniac.

I want wall to wall that kind of content.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Truth Seekers is Awesome. Just finished it. I’m not a horror genre fan so the beginning had me wondering, as did Stranger Things, if it was for me, but it totally was. Sure there’s a bit of scary stuff in there but overall it’s a joy to watch. Loved it!

50433.png?1708759015
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Truth Seekers seems above average so far, will have better opinions as I watch more but my main takeaway right now is Nick Frost put on hella weight, to the point that it looks like it’s changed his stride. You were doing so good bro like last I saw you in Cuban Fury (you were hiding behind a table in Tomb Raider) and now it looks like you couldn’t dance at all fam.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Tell that to GLOW.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I should rewatch Cadfael. I haven't seen it in years. I remember it being really good. Apparently Amazon Prime has some sort of BritBox sub-subscription? I guess they're on Youtube, so I'll have to watch it there instead.

For anyone interested, it's about a monk solving mysteries in England in the early-mid 12th century in an Abbey in Shrewsbury. He's a pretty cool character, too, having been a crusader and sailor before eventually becoming a monk, so he's got a worldly perspective in a setting that's very local and restricted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOV3S-kPzo

My mom and dad (especially my dad) were really into mysteries and British mysteries as I was growing up, so this is one of the many series they'd watch, along with Lovejoy, various Sherlock Holmes and Poirots and Miss Marples, and Mystery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAmGsM4Dids

Stabbity_Style.png
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Truth Seekers seems above average so far, will have better opinions as I watch more but my main takeaway right now is Nick Frost put on hella weight, to the point that it looks like it’s changed his stride. You were doing so good bro like last I saw you in Cuban Fury (you were hiding behind a table in Tomb Raider) and now it looks like you couldn’t dance at all fam.

Body shaming for fun and profit!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Hey, Harley Quinn is really fucking good.

Like, DC should have their creative team producing all their movies.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Tell that to GLOW.

Wasn't GLOW canceled due to COVID stopping production?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Netflix seems to have precisely one Sean Connery film on it. First Knight.

I think I will go pull my DVD of The Name of the Rose off the shelf tonight.

Netflix over here also has exactly one Sean Connery film on it, except here it The Hunt for Red October. I'll take it.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • NineNine Registered User regular

Tell that to GLOW.

Cobra Kai has a male lead so it's probably safe.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Queen's Gambit so far. Actual chess play too, they'll start playing the opening to a match and yep, that's the Sicilian.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Queen's Gambit so far. Actual chess play too, they'll start playing the opening to a match and yep, that's the Sicilian.

Ya this hits me the same way bad movie tech does

Movie: person moves a piece tells opponent checkmate

Me: YOU JUST SENT A PAWN BACKWARDS AND DIAGONAL AND YOUR OPPONENTS KING ISN'T EVEN ON THE BOARD!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

But then there wouldn't be a season 3 for Harley Quinn. There are only so many hours in the day!

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I've always felt that superhero comics, being a continuous form of narrative (as opposed to a self-contained one) translates better into a similarly continuous medium like television than movies. Likewise, comic books being a drawn medium means they translate better into animation than live action. So I'd rather have the A team on animated TV shows and the B team on live action movies.

I know there's a bazillion dollar Marvel movie franchise that stands in evidence against this opinion, but I blame that on socio-cultural biases.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    4 episodes of cobra kai and I am loving it. Totally reminded of the Daniel was the bully video.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    a

All of the DC animated movies (and most of the TV) are infinitely better than the live-action movies. I don't understand why DC doesn't just do box-office animated stuff with their animated creative teams. Though the CW live-action shows are also better than the movies, so I really just don't know what they're doing wrong over there.

Only vaguely streaming-related but very DC related: anybody tried whatever they're calling the no-streaming service previously known as DC Universe? Do they have more recent comics than they did as DCU?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    There's so much 80"a cheese I love this.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Only vaguely streaming-related but very DC related: anybody tried whatever they're calling the no-streaming service previously known as DC Universe? Do they have more recent comics than they did as DCU?

It's still DC Universe. The switchover to DC Universe Infinite doesn't happen until January.

But in answer to your question, the official statements say print comics won't come to DC Universe Infinite until six months after their physical release, the same as it was under DC Universe. So if the promised digital-exclusive offerings don't sway you, there's not much else on the table there.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I finished Truth Seekers. While most of the episodes were pretty good individually, I thought the ending was terrible, and it kind of tarnished the rest of the series for me in hindsight.
    full season spoilers obviously:
    There was a whole lot at the end that was just deux ex machina (literally). Like maybe I missed something, but Astrid just won at the last second for... reasons? Like I'm pretty sure we're supposed to intuit that the weird plague doctor went through Elton's door and took both Astrid and Alaura, but none of it gets shown. At least I assume that's the case, since Janey Flowers got all worked up about malevolent spirits but one of them was Astrid's mom so clearly that shouldn't have been malevolent which leaves the plague doctor thing. But of course nothing is explained or even hinted at.

Elton learning how to open and close the door was so flat. 'You've always known.' and then he closes his eyes, and done. There was no growth, no effort, just yup, no problem I can do it now.

Gus was totally robbed at the end. He literally did nothing, Toynbee cut his own throat at the same time he would have anyways. If Gus and Helen had just stayed out in the van, nothing would have been different. The boss being the saving grace came out of nowhere with 8G just being the magical solution to everything.

The explanation for Helen's agoraphobia was also lacking imo. They set it up as this traumatic thing, but the family just randomly decides that she doesn't exist anymore? Did not feel believable on its face, nor why them ignoring her would somehow lead to a fear of being outside/among other people.

Gus' meter thingy was a total waste of a Chekov's gun; he carried it around, yet seemed to completely ignore the readings or whenever it actually reacted. Then he had it at the final battle...and it did nothing.

Finally, I'm just over this (seemingly British) conceit of shows just creating insane situations and treating it like normalcy. Specifically the ending where we find out the boss and JoJo are apparently non-human superbeings acting all casually. Maybe I am seeing patterns where they don't exist, but it feels like a worn out trope to me at this point.

I could go on, but probably not worth it at this point.

Edit OK, one more: spoilers for episode 3 only and more of a nitpick:
    So full disclaimer, I've watched basically all seasons of Supernatural. In episode 3, when they take Astrid to the hospital and Gus says 'this is not an exorcism' and then starts reading Latin out of this super unique book which they've made a case can only have one copy in the world. But then the Latin is basically word for word the standard exorcism shpiel they use in Supernatural which I've heard so many times from Sam & Dean that I could almost recite it by heart at this point. Like, at least they could have made some nonsense 'Lorem Ipsum' crap!

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    I finished Truth Seekers. While most of the episodes were pretty good individually, I thought the ending was terrible, and it kind of tarnished the rest of the series for me in hindsight.
    full season spoilers obviously:
    There was a whole lot at the end that was just deux ex machina (literally). Like maybe I missed something, but Astrid just won at the last second for... reasons? Like I'm pretty sure we're supposed to intuit that the weird plague doctor went through Elton's door and took both Astrid and Alaura, but none of it gets shown. At least I assume that's the case, since Janey Flowers got all worked up about malevolent spirits but one of them was Astrid's mom so clearly that shouldn't have been malevolent which leaves the plague doctor thing. But of course nothing is explained or even hinted at.

Elton learning how to open and close the door was so flat. 'You've always known.' and then he closes his eyes, and done. There was no growth, no effort, just yup, no problem I can do it now.

Gus was totally robbed at the end. He literally did nothing, Toynbee cut his own throat at the same time he would have anyways. If Gus and Helen had just stayed out in the van, nothing would have been different. The boss being the saving grace came out of nowhere with 8G just being the magical solution to everything.

The explanation for Helen's agoraphobia was also lacking imo. They set it up as this traumatic thing, but the family just randomly decides that she doesn't exist anymore? Did not feel believable on its face, nor why them ignoring her would somehow lead to a fear of being outside/among other people.

Gus' meter thingy was a total waste of a Chekov's gun; he carried it around, yet seemed to completely ignore the readings or whenever it actually reacted. Then he had it at the final battle...and it did nothing.

Finally, I'm just over this (seemingly British) conceit of shows just creating insane situations and treating it like normalcy. Specifically the ending where we find out the boss and JoJo are apparently non-human superbeings acting all casually. Maybe I am seeing patterns where they don't exist, but it feels like a worn out trope to me at this point.

I could go on, but probably not worth it at this point.

Edit OK, one more: spoilers for episode 3 only and more of a nitpick:
    So full disclaimer, I've watched basically all seasons of Supernatural. In episode 3, when they take Astrid to the hospital and Gus says 'this is not an exorcism' and then starts reading Latin out of this super unique book which they've made a case can only have one copy in the world. But then the Latin is basically word for word the standard exorcism shpiel they use in Supernatural which I've heard so many times from Sam & Dean that I could almost recite it by heart at this point. Like, at least they could have made some nonsense 'Lorem Ipsum' crap!

I'm sad to say that Truth Seekers (for me) was a miss. The construction of the story was confusing but not in a good way, the characters weren't particularly interesting or even fun, and even the bad guy was bland. It just didn't execute well, and it wasn't funny enough to cover up all the glaring issues. I'd still recommend it if you like those guys, but this is not one of their best productions.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I just finished episode 10 of Teenage Bounty Hunters and can officially declare it my favorite tv show ever

I hope someone picks it up for more seasons as Netflix already bailed, but even if they don't these ten episodes were laser targeted at my soul and I will cherish them forever

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Apple TV is coming to next gen Xbox consoles on launch day.

Something I’m actually happy about, as I’ve seen some decent 4K movie deals on there from time to time, but had no way of taking advantage of them.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Holy cow Crave finally got a ps4 app.....

Only took what 2 years ?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    No Nutty Professor November begins with these Amazon adds:

-Die Hard 4
    -Romancing the Stone
    -Jewel of the Nile
    -Wild Things (nice)
    -Expendables 1-3
    -RoboCop 1 & 2
    -CutThroat Island
    -Kingdom of Heaven (not the classier director's cut tho)
    -Underworld 1-3
    -Wall Street
    -Billionaire Boys Club
    -Boyz N the Hood
    -Crimson Tide
    -Dead Poets Society
    -The Iron Lady
    -King Solomon's Mines
    -Masters of the Universe
    -Ronin
    -Slumdog Millionaire
    -Step Up