As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Living room internet thing.

BrodyBrody The WatchThe First ShoreRegistered User regular
My wife's laptop is starting to reach the end of its life, and we aren't sure that we want to buy another one. I have most of a space tower lying around, but not a great area to set up a second full pc.

Would it be possible to use the Pi 0 W I have running pihole to act as a streaming interface between the roku and the PC? I guess in my head I'm thinking of almost running it as the opposite of how I have it set up right now, where the Pi only has power plugged into it, and if I need to interface with it I open a VNC Server and use my desktop PC mouse/keyboard/monitor.

Ideally I would have the Pi in the living room, with a bt keyboard/mouse, the PC chilling in the office under my desk or w/e. It won't be used for gaming, so I'm not really worried about input lag, within reason. I know there are probably a million ways to make this work, I'm just hoping for advice, and also something that doesn't need much prowess to use on a day to day basis.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't think they sell steam links anymore, but I use mine to stream games/movies/music from my pc to my TV/av speakers. You can just press alt-tab out of the steam big picture mode and the steam link will stream whatever is on your desktop

There's probably a raspberry pi way to do the same

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    You can install the Steam Link app on the RPi and do what Burtletoy mentioned.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how fast the Zero W's wifi can be but you may want to get a 4 B since it's a newer model. You'll notice some lag over WiFi depending on the game