As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I simply get everything perfect so I dont have to worry sucks about ur problrm tho

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm so choked right now.

A month ago, as a treat for myself, I bought a sotor 20/20. It showed up with stripped threads and couldn't connect to my compressor.

The replacement showed up this week and something is wrong with the nozzle. You can dial the needle to one of two settings... constantly blowing paint anytime air moves, or contantly blowing air back into the cup hard enough to shoot the cap off. I've stripped it twice and I cannot figure out what's wrong with the goddamn thing.

Any recommendations on airbrushes that are a similar price point / detail level, but don't have dogshit quality control?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    That's really off brand for Badger. Did you order directly from them?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    That's really off brand for Badger. Did you order directly from them?

One of their Canadian licensed retailers via amazon so that I could get prime shipping. Luckily the via amazon part makes it easy to get my money back.

It's an absolute pain in the ass finding airbrush supplies in Canada right now. Usually I do all my stuff directly in the US and just drive across the border to my mailbox to pick stuff up, but you know.... Covid. :bigfrown:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I know Angel Giraldez uses Harder & Steinbeck airbrushes and he does the studio paint jobs for Corvus Belli. He uses whichever models he uses for detail work.

Probably wouldn't be hard to find what he uses.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I know Angel Giraldez uses Harder & Steinbeck airbrushes and he does the studio paint jobs for Corvus Belli. He uses whichever models he uses for detail work.

Probably wouldn't be hard to find what he uses.

Yeah, that wasn't bad to find at all. I think Marco Frisoni uses a steinbeck as well.

Detail airbrushing you'd want a .15, .2 or .4mm nozzle? Giraldez uses an infinity CR plus, but they sell it with one of three nozzles.

Found a video of him reviewing airbrushes... looks like .15mm is the way to go

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Painting Rubrics is self harm

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Painting Eldar Harlequins is

• Options

FTFY

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Another Burrows and Badgers mini. Named after the typo in the animal stats list, may I introduce you to Brid Small.

hBpxXmG.jpg?2e8NThBB.jpg?2

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Good name

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Squinting at that, pondering the anatomical complexities of an actual bird wielding a sword

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Squinting at that, pondering the anatomical complexities of an actual bird wielding a sword

If you look up other birds in the mini range they seem to have magic feather thumbs that let them hold things in their wings. This fits with the rules which leave you unarmed for the rest of turn if you fly.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Man, I actually painted something yesterday!~
    ... I have no proof of this because I painted a friend's historical roman general miniature and it is gone now, but I swear I did it!

I miss painting. I really need to get over my internal hump and just keep picking away at some stuff. sigh

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How are you guys handling 40k models that use the new flightstands?

Glue the flightstand on and just be very, very careful? Glue something to the foot of the model, then paint it, then glue it to the base? Just spray prime the whole thing and then paint the flightstand black later?

• Options
    Paint the figure use white glue and a pin to attach it to the model

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I usually spray prime the model glued to a toothpick and either

a) also paint it like that, or

b) remove the toothpick, glue it to the flight stand, wrap some masking tape around the stand so i don't get paint on it, and then paint the model that way

basically depending on how much faith i have that the toothpick will hold up to my man-handling the model because i'm an ape

Edit: i haven't put together anything with the new curvy flight stand, but i imagine i would still try to tackle them with the same approach

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Tried replacing some parts on one of my airbrushes, been having a fuck ton of trouble with it. All of a sudden the cap on the airbrush was apparently too tight and restricting air flow so it wouldn't work. In my attempt to replace other parts it seems I messed up the trigger, it won't spring back up now.

I still have my other .3 airbrush that works just fine and now I want to look into a .15, get that nice tight detail and use the .3 for priming and basing.

Anyone have brand recommendations for a .15 nozzle?

Scrolling up I saw harder and Steinbeck mentioned. I'll look into that. Having a weirdly hard time finding companies that make airbrushes with a .15 nozzle.

Harder and Steenbeck has a $320 airbrush that comes with a .15mm nozzle and .4mm nozzle which is tempting but the airbrush that comes with just the .15mm airbrush is $255 so definitely cheaper.

Also have never spent this much on a airbrush. Kind of scary.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I've been in a real painting funk for a week or 2. Haven't even felt like finishing off my JSA. So what's the solution? SPACESHIP!

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I played a crusade match with my buddy the Necron player today and one of my Dreads that's been painted as Iron Hands since I got him second hand smashed SO MANY FACES today... so many in fact that rather than dig into my massively overwhelming backlog I figured I'd give him a space wolf repaint.

That turned into my most productive hobby night in ages while waiting for different things to dry.

The space wolf Dreadnought "No foes Remain" waiting for his oil wash to dry.

28oubeanu7o2.jpg

Finished all the detail work on my blade guard

0gjiivtaufyq.jpg

I have enough spare marines after all the stuff I've picked up the last couple years that I can actually split some off and make a chapter that isn't Space Wolves. I've always loved the lore behind the Carcharodons, so I knocked out a test scheme... it's not the true carcharadon scheme with the black pauldrons and gold trim. It's actually an alternate scheme that was featured on warhammer community a while ago... This was the most interesting project of the evening... when I started painting again a couple years ago I got into airbrushing pretty quickly... I've never actually edge highlighted or panel lined a model before. It was a learning experience.

xhqqqril9usd.jpg

And lastly, what's a Carcharodons army without Tyberos the Red Wake... course I'm not shelling out $40 plus shipping for some janky resin, so I made my own. I need to add some chainblade bits to the inside of the gauntlets and do a bit more sanding, but it's 99% there

Ta DAAAAAAAAAAA

6bpu62f6e8eo.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Quick question: does gale force nine basing grit need to be primed to take paint? Would be using a very dark color and some simple dry brushing.

Basically asking if I will need to add it to bases that don't have it, re-prime them or if I can just glue on and get to work.

• Options
    I'd *suggest* re-priming because every time I've added a basing material thats not textured paint afterwards I've had issues with it coming off. Otherwise I'd suggest sealing it with more PVA or jsut go heavy on the initial layer of paint.

• Options
    This Krieg KT is my first time working with substantial amounts of resin and even at FW quality its uh pretty bad folks.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dude half the people I know who buy recasts get them because the mean quality is HIGHER than forgeworld.

• Options
    Asher wrote: »
    Dude half the people I know who buy recasts get them because the mean quality is HIGHER than forgeworld.

There's a pretty notable difference here between the GW Crusaders and the FW Guardsmen but small sample size. The packaging for FW is pretty hilariously bad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Hey so I finished my first 2 squads of Fire Warriors. Took bloody forever as it was my first time painting in sub-assembly. First time doing any kind of basing too.

Goddamn was gluing them after painting fiddly as fuck.
    hRuRiyD.jpg

CExLDUC.jpg

Super special thanks to @Viking who got me into painting minis a year and a half ago. I mean that. You didn't have to, but you answered any and all of my inane questions and really encouraged me. You even took the time to help me build my first army list.

So thanks dude.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    They look great!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yeah those Tau are great.
    They're agitating the neglected part of my hobby soul that has always wanted to do Tau

Asher on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I only wish my first attempts looked that fantastic.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    wrong thread

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    So bottled witchcraft... cool

Gonna have to get some of that.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Seems neat, I want to know if you could dye it and get colorized crystal growth (I assume its just a crystal growing mixture?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    They better hope Disney doesn't see that font...

Norgoth on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if you can seal or protect that in any way? I can't imagine flash-grown crystals like that are super resilient to handling.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Anyone have experience with airbrushing GW's Ardcoat and Stormshield varnishes?

I'm running out of my Vallejo stuff and can't get more anytime soon... probably going to have to resort to GW branded stuff soon.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there an optimal thickness for MDF when making a terrain board? I was gonna use 6 pieces of 2ftx2ft MDF to make the board but I'm worried about warping.

Also, does anyone know of a place that sells fluorescent/very vibrant plants and moss for basing?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there an optimal thickness for MDF when making a terrain board? I was gonna use 6 pieces of 2ftx2ft MDF to make the board but I'm worried about warping.

Also, does anyone know of a place that sells fluorescent/very vibrant plants and moss for basing?

Bigot lobby , other hobby/train shops, various online retail. Pet supply stores

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Haven used MDF much for terrain... From working on other projects anything less than 1/4" will be prone to warping, depending of course on the region you live in.

It never hurts to seal MDF with some type of primer prior to using it to avoid warping and date from humor though.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with airbrushing GW's Ardcoat and Stormshield varnishes?

I'm running out of my Vallejo stuff and can't get more anytime soon... probably going to have to resort to GW branded stuff soon.

Wouldn't anticipate a problem. They're both just varnish with dumb names: Ardcoat is gloss and Stormshield is "matte" (probably a little satin-leaning, most is). Try it and see. Worst case scenario is same as any other varnish - clouding - and that's a simple enough fix.