As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tv advice?

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
I'm getting a 360 and a Wii, and I also need a new TV. (Mines dead) I don't know anything about TV's. What's Hdmi? I'm looking at a (cheap) TV and it says it has Hdmi and a 600:1 Contrast Ratio. What does that mean?
Help? D:

Rizzi on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    HDMI is an HD video and audio port/cable. You can learn more about contrast ratio in the thread in the following link
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48162

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The nice thing about HDMI is that it's all digital, so you get the same quality picture and sound regardless of what brand or length of cable you use.

The bad thing about HDMI is that most things that use it also encrypt the signal with HDCP, which on rare occasions can cause some stupid trouble because of the DRM.

For most things, though, you can get about the same quality picture with decent component cables. So you can use HDMI if it's an option, but fall back to component and you probably won't notice the difference.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For just playing games on (I don't really care about HD or anything) it won't make a big deal what I get?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, your 360 will gladly output a 720p HD signal, so if you're considering an HDTV you might as well throw in the 360 component cables instead of just hooking it up using the included composite cable (which would limit you to a much fuzzier 480i). Or, if your 360 is one that supports HDMI and you get a TV with HDMI too, go for one of those cables.

Even though the Wii isn't HD, you can also get a better picture with the Wii component cables.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's rather hard to find a cheap (Less then $1000) HDTV :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    It's rather hard to find a cheap (Less then $1000) HDTV :P

Check the local classifieds for used ones. I got a 30" CRT HDTV for like $225, because the previous owner wanted to upgrade to a flatscreen.

Sure, the thing's like two hundred pounds, but it looks beautiful in 1080i.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That... Is an excellent idea.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Okay, due to multiple existing tv threads, there is now a stickied TV thread, and the existing TV threads are being locked to route discussion there.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48345

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.