As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    He’s also undermining his own chance at actually ratfucking this, because by accusing so many states of being stolen, he reduces the chance that any individual state claims will be taken seriously. Once again he has no discipline. Three stooges stuck in the door of evil racism.

As long as the SC follows through, that’s all that matters. They give it to Trump, that’s game.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Re: Trump’s statement tonight.

Whelp, looks like the thread title proved to be even more accurate than expected.

Or wanted.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Summary for those who didn't want a facefull of his verbal diarrhea?

He is totally winning every state that hasn't been called including the ones he's losing, and probably all the ones that have been called too.

He was getting ready to hold a victory party when 'they' (the illuminati I guess?) called off the election.

They have won and they will ask SCOTUS to stop any more votes from being counted.

Pence pretends that's not what he said.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    I hate that I'm forcing myself to watch this. Trump talking is like nails on a chalkboard.

Except with knives involved.

Barbed knives.

You all have more intestinal fortitude than I do. I can't bear to watch or listen to him.

I had to bail and go outside for a cigarette.

Side note: don't try and rub your temples with a lit cigarette in one hand when you haven't had a haircut in nine months.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Trump’s pulling a coup. Asking the SC to end the counting of ballots and declare him president.

He's not going to get his coup anymore than he got his wall. It's beyond disgusting that a PoTUS made that speech, though.

htm on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s one thing to know trump was going to do something like this, and another thing entirely to see it happen

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    HamHamJ wrote: »

He is totally winning every state that hasn't been called including the ones he's losing, and probably all the ones that have been called too.

He was getting ready to hold a victory party when 'they' (the illuminati I guess?) called off the election.

They have won and they will ask SCOTUS to stop any more votes from being counted.

Pence pretends that's not what he said.
    Basically what people said he would do

We'll be going to be going to the US Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop... As far as I'm concerned we already have won it."

Couscous on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    If you think counting the votes is illegitimate, you might be a fascist

Couscous on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Trump predictably says he won when it hasn't been confirmed yet. It a a razor thin race. Him saying dumb shit isn't unusual but just particularly gross given he seems to want to whip people into unrest. It's almost insane to see.

Asking the Supreme Court directly to stop votes from being counted is impeachment worthy in and of itself.

Mitch McConnell says “lol nope not impeachment-worthy, get pwned libs”.

Kavanaugh and Barrett say “What a grand idea! How many else are with us?”

And people told me I was fucking crazy to suggest something like this.

steam_sig.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Ugh Arizona is less confident.... not liking that

Come on don’t let this go back on me

616610-1.png
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    "We want all voting to stop" sure sums up the current administration real nice

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    Well, he's doing what he said he'd do. Cool?

The thing is, I don't have an ounce of faith in his ability to do anything to stop states from counting their own ballots. He has failed at every turn. In a heavily scrutinized trial, every judge will agree, count the ballots.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It’s one thing to know trump was going to do something like this, and another thing entirely to see it happen

Yeah, I feel like this is going to be a famous election in the history books. Much more so then the last one.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    "We want all voting to stop" sure sums up the current administration real nice

Hey it’s what the people want, or at least an insane number of people. I’ve never felt such hatred for such vast numbers of people I don’t know and will never meet

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hah, I've been so concerned with the election that I managed to tune out the buzzing in my ear (inner ear problem).

'course now that I've remembered it, I can totally hear it again.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Donald Trump does not lose elections. He wins them. Or he has the SC stop them. Because they're unfair.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    notya wrote: »

The thing is, I don't have an ounce of faith in his ability to do anything to stop states from counting their own ballots. He has failed at every turn. In a heavily scrutinized trial, every judge will agree, count the ballots.

Even our 6-3 conservative-stacked Supreme Court that Trump managed to shit three justices onto?

Please, this is what he was planning for months. If the election went south, scream fraud and run to the SC.

steam_sig.png
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Well so much for sleep.

That voting thing wasn’t a misspeak. Pretending that ballots already cast are actually new votes is part of the plan

I will say that I consider this a better case scenario because saying you're going to ask SCOTUS to do something doesn't actually do anything. It's not like he had an actual suite that had been filed to point to so in usual Trump fashion it’s entirely possible that he will be too lazy to actually do it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Oh for fucks sake America.

"Biden may still win after 2 weeks of battling court-fuckery" is not the headline I wanted to wake up to today.

What the hell is wrong with people.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

The election lawyer on CNN essentially said there's no clear legal path here. He can't just go to the supreme court and say "stop this!" He, and his lawyers, can contest specific ballots under specific state laws and can contest specific procedures, but even if they do the remedies aren't going to be to throw everything out and they aren't going to apply across the board, and while all of this legal process is happening the count is also going on.

It's hard for me to fact check that because I'm not a lawyer myself. By the same token, maybe check yourself if you're doomsaying about election law and you're also not a lawyer.

Trump has to file that suit quick AND get an injunction, because counting resumes in less than 12 hours.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I mean, technically if you call it right now then trump has lost since only 438 votes have been fully counted and Biden controls 225.

So by all means trump: concede.

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Fuck my country. This shouldn't have even been a possibility.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MSNBC: "Chris Christie, a staunch Trump ally and advisor,"

Ok, watching this tonight might have been worth it because I may never stop laughing.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I will say that I consider this a better case scenario because saying you're going to ask SCOTUS to do something doesn't actually do anything. It's not like he had an actual suite that had been filed to point to so in usual Trump fashion it’s entirely possible that he will be too lazy to actually do it.

I wish I could be confident the current SCOTUS will not politely ignore that minor niggle.

• notyanotya Registered User regular

Even our 6-3 conservative-stacked Supreme Court that Trump managed to shit three justices onto?

Please, this is what he was planning for months. If the election went south, scream fraud and run to the SC.

Yes, even them. Because it's not always about what they CAN do. It needs some cover. It needs to make a tiny amount of sense to the general public. There has to be a reason to throw out people's votes. And what does he have as his reason? Nothing. Zero proof of fraud. He's too incompetent to invent evidence. He needs some hanging chads, but he doesn't even have that.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    How are Biden and Collins currently over 50% in Maine?

Someone check the temperature in the counting tank.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    How are Biden and Collins currently over 50% in Maine?

Someone check the temperature in the counting tank.

The presidential candidates and the senate candidates run above and below each other all the time. Voters are, just ... sigh.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

The election lawyer on CNN essentially said there's no clear legal path here. He can't just go to the supreme court and say "stop this!" He, and his lawyers, can contest specific ballots under specific state laws and can contest specific procedures, but even if they do the remedies aren't going to be to throw everything out and they aren't going to apply across the board, and while all of this legal process is happening the count is also going on.

It's hard for me to fact check that because I'm not a lawyer myself. By the same token, maybe check yourself if you're doomsaying about election law and you're also not a lawyer.

i was going to say, it seemed to be a slight misreading of the way courts and law works for a president to just direct the SC to arbitrarily change something as well protected as an election while it's happening

my direct source on the workings of the american courts may be purely derived from netflix crime documentaries, however. also judge judy.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Yes, even them. Because it's not always about what they CAN do. It needs some cover. It needs to make a tiny amount of sense to the general public. There has to be a reason to throw out people's votes. And what does he have as his reason? Nothing. Zero proof of fraud. He's too incompetent to invent evidence. He needs some hanging chads, but he doesn't even have that.

I worry his biggest play will be extrajudicial.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I really hope the future government prosecutes all of these things like for instance the current coup attempt the minute it’s physically possible to do so.

PSN: Honkalot

I wish I could be confident the current SCOTUS will not politely ignore that minor niggle.

I fully believe that if given the chance this court will rule on a completely partisan basis with no regard for facts or the law. But they actually literally can't just like... call all 9 justices into the chamber and declare that all vote counting must stop. If Trump wants this to actually happen I think he needed to have like an attorney get on stage right after him and hit the ground running with an aggressive litigation strategy for how to actually get this in front of SCOTUS.

Especially since the test cases they had going already got tossed out.

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Arizona now called for Biden by the AP.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    vsove wrote: »

Might be a bit premature

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Well, waking up to this is both better and worse than waking up 4 years ago.

I don't know what is wrong with those Republican voters, but its hella disappointing. You managed to disappoint the world yet again, America.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I fully believe that if given the chance this court will rule on a completely partisan basis with no regard for facts or the law. But they actually literally can't just like... call all 9 justices into the chamber and declare that all vote counting must stop. If Trump wants this to actually happen I think he needed to have like an attorney get on stage right after him and hit the ground running with an aggressive litigation strategy for how to actually get this in front of SCOTUS.

Especially since the test cases they had going already got tossed out.

I really, really do not want to test that assertion.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    The really depressing part is that Dem turnout keeps going up and keeps hitting incredible numbers, but R turnout keeps matching it. Like, the belief that Texas just needed huge turnout from its urban areas to maybe start unfucking its state legislature took a fucking knife to the lungs tonight. And it's looking like we may be losing a handful of House seats too, especially those picked up in 2018 in red areas.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

Might be a bit premature

That's from two hours ago, or at least three eternities.

ztrEPtD.gif
This discussion has been closed.