As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 Election] Subtle Does Not Go Here

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I will say that I consider this a better case scenario because saying you're going to ask SCOTUS to do something doesn't actually do anything. It's not like he had an actual suite that had been filed to point to so in usual Trump fashion it’s entirely possible that he will be too lazy to actually do it.

I wish I could be confident the current SCOTUS will not politely ignore that minor niggle.

I fully believe that if given the chance this court will rule on a completely partisan basis with no regard for facts or the law. But they actually literally can't just like... call all 9 justices into the chamber and declare that all vote counting must stop. If Trump wants this to actually happen I think he needed to have like an attorney get on stage right after him and hit the ground running with an aggressive litigation strategy for how to actually get this in front of SCOTUS.

Especially since the test cases they had going already got tossed out.

I really, really do not want to test that assertion.

Supreme Court is top law of the land. They say something, there’s no recourse. They will just refuse to hear the case and that’s game.

Would calling this the fall of American Democracy be too much?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    yeah probably

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    vsove wrote: »
    Arizona now called for Biden by the AP.

Might be a bit premature

That's from two hours ago, or at least three eternities.

I’d consider AP a fairly safe call personally.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I've gotta admit. I've been worried about Trump declaring early victory for months. But I was expecting something a little more organized and thus sinister than a mumbling Michael Scott declaration in the middle of the night.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I will say that I consider this a better case scenario because saying you're going to ask SCOTUS to do something doesn't actually do anything. It's not like he had an actual suite that had been filed to point to so in usual Trump fashion it’s entirely possible that he will be too lazy to actually do it.

I wish I could be confident the current SCOTUS will not politely ignore that minor niggle.

I fully believe that if given the chance this court will rule on a completely partisan basis with no regard for facts or the law. But they actually literally can't just like... call all 9 justices into the chamber and declare that all vote counting must stop. If Trump wants this to actually happen I think he needed to have like an attorney get on stage right after him and hit the ground running with an aggressive litigation strategy for how to actually get this in front of SCOTUS.

Supreme Court is top law of the land. They say something, there’s no recourse. They will just refuse to hear the case and that’s game.

? If they refuse to hear the case then it goes down to whatever court decision it came from. If there was no court decision, then it's like it was never brought up to the SC in the first place.

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    I might just stop paying attention to politics. For at least a while. I know it's a privilege, but I'm having a hard time taking it. I just... I'm not sure what to do. R wins no matter who? What kind of reality is that?

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    AP is one of the most reliable groups calling votes, imo. If they said Biden got Arizona, I'm gonna trust them.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Arizona now called for Biden by the AP.

Might be a bit premature

Jesus fucking christ

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys

? If they refuse to hear the case then it goes down to whatever court decision it came from. If there was no court decision, then it's like it was never brought up to the SC in the first place.

And they’ll snap this up and give it to him because this is why Kavanaugh/Barrett/the other one we’re put on the court: not to enforce the law, but to hand down Trump’s declarations as law of the land.

steam_sig.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I've gotta admit. I've been worried about Trump declaring early victory for months. But I was expecting something a little more organized and thus sinister than a mumbling Michael Scott declaration in the middle of the night.

Honestly it's not clear to me how much his remarks represent the campaign's considered and premeditated approach, versus how much was off script. After all, he was late on stage, rambled as he does, and overall he's not supposed to be easy to control.

Pence backed him up in some ways ('the integrity of the vote') but also didn't in others ('the count will go on') and it's hard to puzzle out the 17 dimensional chess of all the different things it might mean, but imo it's a live possibility that there is no concerted plan ready to spring into action.

We'll see!

MrMister on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

And they’ll snap this up and give it to him because this is why Kavanaugh/Barrett/the other one we’re put on the court: not to enforce the law, but to hand down Trump’s declarations as law of the land.
    With kindness, your last three posts sound like you didn’t even read the post you are responding to. You should really go to bed.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Wasn't there supposed to be a big Wisconsin drop right about now?

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    No YOLO call on Georgia and Michigan? AP is a bunch of cowards!

I feel good about both, increasingly less optimsitic about PA from high several hours ago.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Wasn't there supposed to be a big Wisconsin drop right about now?

Another hour still, I think

Also, Susan Collins dropped below 50% and is 5.9% ahead with 66% of the vote counted.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Man if this was a parallel universe this would be a wild wide!

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, if AZ is at 97% reporting and Trump is behind by 5%, I don't see him digging himself out of that hole. Also that cements Kelly as democrats second senate flip and confirming that McSally has lost two senate elections in a row now.

This also gets into why Trump wants the voting to stop because that means Biden only needs 2 of WI/MI/PA to win. Chances are very good that he has WI and MI easily once absentee votes are counted. Leaving PA gravy. NC and GA are probably going to be the close races and only really matter now at this point because what we actually care about is who won the Senate races. Democrats still need to come up with two more senate flips to take the chamber and that's with the VP being the tie breaker. Ideally, they'd want more than that because well Republicans are spreading the fucking plague, there is a real chance that we do see a seating US Senator die to covid.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    NYT called the Arizona Senate race for Mark Kelly, making Martha McSally a two-time Senate loser.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Nirya wrote: »
    NYT called the Arizona Senate race for Mark Kelly, making Martha McSally a two-time Senate loser.

And since she's appointed he's seated immediately, right?

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Is there any chance of a dem senate majority? I assume pretty much no :(

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »

Don't bet on it. It's not out of the question yet, but signs point to no.

With kindness, your last three posts sound like you didn’t even read the post you are responding to. You should really go to bed.

I’m fine, just... fucking tired of being right. So, so tired of being right.

I claim that Donald will try to ratfuck the states not done counting. “That’ll never happen, go to bed.” And it happens.

The SC will hear the case and give him the win. I mean, it’s a 6-3 conservative heavy court, of course they’ll side with him. It’s their decision on wether to take the case-which they will- and they’ll give baby his bottle and that’s the democracy.

steam_sig.png
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Yes, but it looks a little shaky. And if they get it, it will be 50-50 + 1 most likely, which means none of the more ambitious stuff will get through.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    32 votes biden. For the love of christ and all that's holy get yourself those 32 votes.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    NYT called ME for Biden, apparently, just caught the state go blue on their map

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Chance? Yes. Good one? Not so much.

NC could have a late surge of mail in votes show up since they have to be accepted until the 12th if they were postmarked today. So that race could be in flux for some days yet, but it really feels like Cunningham fucked it up.

We're not sure how Maine is going to play out with ranked choice.

And Georgia is gonna be a whole pile of crazy with both races. Any or all four of those could still go to the Dems, we need three.

I think Peters will pull it out in Michigan, assuming Biden does as well, so technically we probably need two of those.

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    This was basically a repeat of 2016 for me. Gradual hardcore disappointment ending with me comforting my understandbly hysterical wife as she cries in my arms. I want to live a happy life and this is not the way to do it.

Weird that most sites are saying Arizona is 80% reporting when it's Arizona says 97% reporting.

• MillMill Registered User regular

Yes.

Sounds like Maine will be the third one to flip unless there are enough idiots to put Collins above 50% because it doesn't sound like she wins the second round. Though not guaranteed.
    After Maine, the next best bet is probably NC and that's probably going to be end of the week if it comes down to absentee ballots.
    After NC, we have the two GA races. If things go well, maybe Ossoff squeaks past 50% and avoids a runoff. Otherwise we'll see two very expensive runoff is GA. I think the special is going to be a runoff and I think it's going to be expensive whether the democrats need it or not for a Senate majority.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

I claim that Donald will try to ratfuck the states not done counting. “That’ll never happen, go to bed.” And it happens.

The SC will hear the case and give him the win. I mean, it’s a 6-3 conservative heavy court, of course they’ll side with him. It’s their decision on wether to take the case-which they will- and they’ll give baby his bottle and that’s the democracy.

just so you're aware, unless i'm badly misinformed, there is no path to simply call up the supreme court and have this heard.

so, you're not right.

there is also a huge difference between a conservative supreme court justice siding with trump on abortion rights, discrimination legislation, or immigration, and siding with him on bringing down the American democracy

Dhalphir on
    Dhalphir wrote: »

just so you're aware, unless i'm badly misinformed, there is no path to simply call up the supreme court and have this heard.

so, you're not right.

there is also a huge difference between a conservative supreme court justice siding with trump on abortion rights, discrimination legislation, or immigration, and siding with him on bringing down the American democracy

After tonight, I don’t think anything’s out of the fucking question. Even if Biden pulls it out, Trump will have his lawyers make the case and they’ll at least offer it to the SC. Do they take it? Maybe, maybe not. But counting needs to be 24/7 until it’s all done now.

steam_sig.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    WI is not looking amazing. Trump holding his own in the vote total with over 100k lead.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    WI is not looking amazing. Trump holding his own in the vote total with over 100k lead.

40 minutes is when Milwaukee posts their absentee totals. People are expecting 100k+ for Biden in them.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yes, but it looks a little shaky. And if they get it, it will be 50-50 + 1 most likely, which means none of the more ambitious stuff will get through.

Eh. 50 vs 51 or 52 is basically irrelevant. They need to kill the filibuster or there is no democratic agenda. The ambitiousness of the agenda is basically irrelevant to that. And the difference between who the swing vote ends up being would not be all that substantial imo.

The real disaster is not getting control of the Senate.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Nobody said you were crazy, they said you were early, and there is still reason to think that some of the things you are saying might not happen.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn

WI counts mail-in ballots after the in-person ballots. Supposedly there's going to be a big drop here in about 40 minutes.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

40 minutes is when Milwaukee posts their absentee totals. People are expecting 100k+ for Biden in them.

he's down more than 115K I believe. It better be a strong result.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Eh. 50 vs 51 or 52 is basically irrelevant. They need to kill the filibuster or there is no democratic agenda. The ambitiousness of the agenda is basically irrelevant to that. And the difference between who the swing vote ends up being would not be all that substantial imo.

The real disaster is not getting control of the Senate.

Yeah. Without a Dem Senate majority leader literally nothing gets done for 2+ years.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    The US has always been a deeply conservative and selfish country that always gives passive consent to foreign wars, extrajudicial assassination programs, and countless war crimes. I'm not very surprised by the close results. An imperialistic country with a strong military fetish is usually going to trend towards "power daddies"

This discussion has been closed.