As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sanitizing a hard drive?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited October 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
No, not that kind of sanitizing.

CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner -11 Wt Oz

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oWHLFb3VRT4VH

Is this safe for hard drives? I want to clean a bunch of internal hard drives I’m trying to look at the long-forgotten contents of. Note: I ended that sentence with a preposition on purpose.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It seams like it is fine for the task, however it has a carcinogen warning, and the SDS is super beefy with inhalation warning, skin contact warning, flammability warning. So if you use this, it’ll do the job, but wear a splash shield with face mask, use gloves and do it outside.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Most hard drives (excluding the helium filled ones) have a vent to equalize pressure. If you use this, do not spray it anywhere near that vent.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    You guys are making me nervous. I ended up ordering it before I saw the responses assuming I could use it for something else if not the HDD depending on responses but now I kinda don’t want it anywhere near my home. It’s been delivered and it’s downstairs now. Should I flee out the window and move, shedding my old life and all my worldly possessions?

Drez wrote: »
    You guys are making me nervous. I ended up ordering it before I saw the responses assuming I could use it for something else if not the HDD depending on responses but now I kinda don’t want it anywhere near my home. It’s been delivered and it’s downstairs now. Should I flee out the window and move, shedding my old life and all my worldly possessions?
    Just use it outside, with a splash guard and face mask.

zepherin wrote: »
    Just use it outside, with a splash guard and face mask.

That's not really possible. And while this was meant to solve my problems around germophobia, I have equally bad problems with chemophobia. So the idea of having to use a face mask and a splash guard, neither of which I have, in a neighborhood not conducive to doing what you're suggesting to apply the contents of a $5 bottle of chemicals just to pull data off a hard drive that I was worried might be germ infested is kind of a balance between two phobias. I guess I'll take the germs in this case.

How can I safely dispose of this, lol.

Let me put it this way: The reason to buy something like this was to feel clean and safe touching these stupid hard drives. I'd just be replacing germs (my OCD brain says no) with chemicals that trigger essentially the same fear in a different way with my OCD brain saying no to that too. So this chemical it's not a solution for me anymore. And yes that was an intended pun.

I wish I could have caught it in time to refuse delivery or cancel it. Hopefully I can just chuck it in the dumpster outside without accidentally causing any damage to the neighborhood.

edited October 2020
    Let me put it this way: The reason to buy something like this was to feel clean and safe touching these stupid hard drives. I'd just be replacing germs (my OCD brain says no) with chemicals that trigger essentially the same fear in a different way with my OCD brain saying no to that too. So this chemical it's not a solution for me anymore. And yes that was an intended pun.

I wish I could have caught it in time to refuse delivery or cancel it. Hopefully I can just chuck it in the dumpster outside without accidentally causing any damage to the neighborhood.
    Sorry Chief,
    My professional instinct when I’m see a new substance is to check the SDS (used to be called MSDS) I wasn’t trying to mess with your OCD.

On the flip side when I see an SDS that is light on warnings I assume the product isn’t going to work very well.

On the plus side, it’s probably aluminum and plastic which is anti-microbial. So any dirt is likely oil, grease or dust.

zepherin on
    No worries. But seriously, can I just throw this in my dumpster?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Talk about all of this with your therapist instead.

What is this I don't even.
    No worries. But seriously, can I just throw this in my dumpster?
    I personally would. Just put it in the trash bag and toss the bag in the dumpster.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maybe next time try nitrile gloves?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Can't you just use, like, rubbing alcohol and a paper towel? If won't do any more damage to the hard drive than your other option (throwing it into the trash)

Just let it dry before

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Wait, you meant throwing away the cleaner, not the hard drive.

No, it probably shouldn't go into municiple waste.

But, yeah, to clean your electronics that aren't powered on, you just want mostly pure ipa or ethanol.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Pressurized containers like that should go hazardous waste disposal. You may have a transfer station that accepts them as well. Look up what your city/county recommends for household hazardous waste disposal. Don't think too strongly about the name, basically anything nastier than milk they'll recommend needs to get sent there. So things like household cleaners, used motor oil, old electronics, etc.

For germophobia, I don't know if it helps, but for COVID concerns you can leave the drive out for a few days before touching it. If you really feel paranoid, you can wear gloves. Fomite transmission is *really really* low with COVID from what I've read.

Burtletoy's recommendation of rubbing alcohol is a decent idea too. 99% isopropyl alcohol is great for cleaning electronics. 70% is probably fine if you're not using it on the circuit board/electronics part of the drive, and is more effective at killing bacteria and viruses.

edit: looks like my local hazardous waste place doesn't accept electronics anymore and it needs to go to a separate electronics recycling place.

Orca on
    OK I've had a...day...so I'm just getting back to this thread now. Couple of things:

1) I saw it was inexpensive so I just pulled the trigger without thinking, assuming the worst that could happen is that it's ineffective.

2) I just went through a MASSIVE sanitation effort in my bedroom over the past 4-5 days. Built new furniture, put down carpet, reorganized my room, cleaned everything, etc. Painstaking. The "cleaning the hard drives" thing wasn't a huge thing and literally had nothing to do with COVID, it was just that I didn't even want new microbes of dust and whatever else reintroduced into my semi-sterile room.

3) I'm afraid that if I talk a therapist they will help me get over more neuroses, which scares me. I have healophobia. That may or may not be a joke. I mean, I get it, I sound like a crazy person, but I absolutely know that and I know therapists exist, but that's not going to help me dispose of this chemical or make me more comfortable in the short term as I don't even have a therapist at the moment.

4) What about ethanol? I literally still can't find isopropyl, 70% or 99%. I haven't seen isopropyl in 5-6 months now. I think the local drugstores gave up on trying to stock it. Ethanol seems pretty plentiful, though. I have bottles of 75% ethanol "hand sanitizer." It's basically just ethanol diluted with water.

5) I just want to get rid of this bottle. This is so annoying. I now may have to literally walk to the next town to dispose of a $5 bottle of flammable whatever because I am an idiot and purchased something without paying attention. Yay. I also can't find concrete info about household hazardous waste disposal and at least one place says that a car is required due to COVID, which I don't have. And I don't want to explain to an Uber driver that I need to put some hazardous waste in his trunk.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ethanol, especially 75% hand sanitizer, is not a good idea for electronics--way too many impurities. I would strongly recommend against using that if you can't get your hands on isopropyl alcohol. Just leave it out for a few days and call it good.

The car situation is a pain in the ass. When I've dropped stuff off in the past it had to be in a car--in part for safety reasons because everyone else was in a car. Kind of like you're not allowed to walk up to the drive through window at a fast food place. Not sure what to tell you there.

Worst comes to worst you can bury the bottle in your room for a year or two. You do want to get rid of it before it starts rusting (years), but it isn't urgent.

Orca on
    OK I found they have an environmental hotline. I'll just call them tomorrow.

Orca wrote: »
    Ethanol, especially 75% hand sanitizer, is not a good idea for electronics--way too many impurities. I would strongly recommend against using that if you can't get your hands on isopropyl alcohol. Just leave it out for a few days and call it good.

The car situation is a pain in the ass. When I've dropped stuff off in the past it had to be in a car--in part for safety reasons because everyone else was in a car. Kind of like you're not allowed to walk up to the drive through window at a fast food place. Not sure what to tell you there.

Worst comes to worst you can bury the bottle in your room for a year or two. You do want to get rid of it before it starts rusting (years), but it isn't urgent.

Just saw this.

Good point. I can just throw it in the closet for now.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    OK I've had a...day...so I'm just getting back to this thread now. Couple of things:

1) I saw it was inexpensive so I just pulled the trigger without thinking, assuming the worst that could happen is that it's ineffective.

2) I just went through a MASSIVE sanitation effort in my bedroom over the past 4-5 days. Built new furniture, put down carpet, reorganized my room, cleaned everything, etc. Painstaking. The "cleaning the hard drives" thing wasn't a huge thing and literally had nothing to do with COVID, it was just that I didn't even want new microbes of dust and whatever else reintroduced into my semi-sterile room.

3) I'm afraid that if I talk a therapist they will help me get over more neuroses, which scares me. I have healophobia. That may or may not be a joke. I mean, I get it, I sound like a crazy person, but I absolutely know that and I know therapists exist, but that's not going to help me dispose of this chemical or make me more comfortable in the short term as I don't even have a therapist at the moment.

4) What about ethanol? I literally still can't find isopropyl, 70% or 99%. I haven't seen isopropyl in 5-6 months now. I think the local drugstores gave up on trying to stock it. Ethanol seems pretty plentiful, though. I have bottles of 75% ethanol "hand sanitizer." It's basically just ethanol diluted with water.

5) I just want to get rid of this bottle. This is so annoying. I now may have to literally walk to the next town to dispose of a $5 bottle of flammable whatever because I am an idiot and purchased something without paying attention. Yay. I also can't find concrete info about household hazardous waste disposal and at least one place says that a car is required due to COVID, which I don't have. And I don't want to explain to an Uber driver that I need to put some hazardous waste in his trunk.

1) No worries, happens to the best of us.

2) That strikes me as kind of across the border where talking to someone becomes a good idea to look into?

3) Not sure what healophobia is unless you're talking about heliophobia? But in that case I'm not sure how that translates to therapy?

4) It's not great for cleaning electronics as others have mentioned.

5) I sort of feel like it's best to forget the bottle and lets go back to #2. Drez I've been around you for well over a decade now. I'm no medical professional but it feels like you've been developing issues/had issues exacerbating for well over a year or so now. I say this with nothing but love but please consult with a doctor and/or a therapist. I like you my dude, and I wish there was more that I could do for you but I can't so please please talk to some professionals who might be able to help you out.

1) No worries, happens to the best of us.

2) That strikes me as kind of across the border where talking to someone becomes a good idea to look into?

3) Not sure what healophobia is unless you're talking about heliophobia? But in that case I'm not sure how that translates to therapy?

4) It's not great for cleaning electronics as others have mentioned.

5) I sort of feel like it's best to forget the bottle and lets go back to #2. Drez I've been around you for well over a decade now. I'm no medical professional but it feels like you've been developing issues/had issues exacerbating for well over a year or so now. I say this with nothing but love but please consult with a doctor and/or a therapist. I like you my dude, and I wish there was more that I could do for you but I can't so please please talk to some professionals who might be able to help you out.

I appreciate that. To be honest, these issues have been here for well over a decade, I just haven't really talked about it all too much and I kind of poke fun at my own OCD so when you see me write something that makes it sound like I'm painting myself into a corner with my own germaphobia, it's almost definitely always an absurd exaggeration. Maybe that's not the best way to communicate, but the way I approached this thread was I really just wanted to know what kind of cleanser I could safely (meaning non-destructively) use on my hard drives. The why is not something I put any thought into at all - as far as I was concerned, it was just setting.

That said, I appreciate the sentiments. And "healophobia" is a word I made up - don't know if it actually is a word, though I doubt it. Healophobia = fear of being healed, in my joke-mind.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    To be super clear, the concerns you have around these things seems well into the range of impacting your life to the point where you need to be seeing a professional to assist you. You absolutely need to be seeing a therapist, because your life is being made worse by you potentially misperceiving things about the world.

What is this I don't even.
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I think Amazon might actually accept a return; they're usually pretty accepting. (Worth a shot in any case.)