As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Broadside Method

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Broadside Method

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This kind of neck horror happened to me once. There are things that makes a person question their faith in their god. But things like this make me question my faith in natural selection (yes, yes, you can say we don't undergo "natural" selection anymore and that's true if you ignore that everything is "natural", but evolution works on much shorter timescales than the last short span of time that humans have been able to make the weak survive).

And this happened in my twenties. I should still have been "prime evolutionary stock" at that point. If it happened now in my mid-40s, I'd just go ahead and call the mortuary to see if they did curbside dropoff.

dennis on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Actually happened to me last month

Like someone kept slamming searing nails into the neck/shoulder area any time you moved, at all

It sucks!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Second and third panel Gabe are top tier Gabe faces.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It was probably the heating pad.

Those things are great.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Man that sucks dude. I cricked my neck about 10 years ago and couldnt turn my neck for like 3 days, that was such a pita. I'm sorry dude, I feel you.

• Options
    Mine wound up being a "bulged disc." I had to get an MRI to confirm it, and went to a chiropractor like once a week to basically stretch my neck out. I'm pretty sure it was something medieval people living in fear of.

Also, it's hard to find a chiropractor that doesn't completely subscribe to a whole load of horseshit, and try to act like that stuff is just as completely true as proven medical advice. Luckily this chiro was great in terms of that. Seemed to know his main job was just stretching and popping, and not telling me that I had a dislocated rib that was causing my depression and needed regular adjustment and some special ginko biloba that he could write me a "prescription" for and that they just happened to sell at the front desk.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    For anyone who's doubtful about going to chiropractors: in the US, there's a career path called a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), which is basically just regular medical school (like your average general practitioner MD has) plus osteopathy (which is like chiropractic but less mumbo-jumbo). If you want muscle, bone, & joint treatment but are worried about scammers, see if you can find a DO in your area?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Chiropractor == Unlicensed Physical Therapist
    If you can afford Physical Therapy, that is what you want.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    For anyone who's doubtful about going to chiropractors: in the US, there's a career path called a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), which is basically just regular medical school (like your average general practitioner MD has) plus osteopathy (which is like chiropractic but less mumbo-jumbo). If you want muscle, bone, & joint treatment but are worried about scammers, see if you can find a DO in your area?

Enh, there can be a strong whiff of woo when it comes to Osteopathy. It started out rather recently as being just chocked full of woo, but in more recent decades its cleaned itself up quite a bit. Much like chiropracty, though, you may get vastly different levels of woo from DO to DO. We actually go to a DO for our family doctor (mainly because my wife picked the replacement for our retiring family doctor, and she didn't know what "DO" meant), but she's not bad at all. Pretty indistinguishable from an MD. But osteopathy is still deeply heavy in the mumbo-jumbo. A lot of their foundational beliefs are not evidence-based or subjected to any kind of actual scientific process.

I'm not saying that MDs are infallible, but they're pretty consistent about giving up on the bodily humors and the leeches for hundreds of years now, once they got on board the science train. And even brought the leeches back, but only after subjecting them to scientific rigor.

All that said, I'm pretty much my own chiropractor. I crack my back, my neck, my knuckles, my hips/lower back, my knees, hell, even my nose. If I do not (usually because of some injury that prevents it), they become incredibly sore and finally getting them to pop again is a huge jolt of ecstasy. So yeah, crackin' feels great. At least, for some people.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Happened to me more than a few times and its a pretty horrible experience. Heating pad, bayer and icy hot are definitely helpful there.