As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Build Thread

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2008 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
So I've noticed a lot of threads around where people ask for help picking out parts, or for comments on a build they are thinking about buying. Born from those threads is this, the Computer Build Thread. If you have a build you would recommend to others, post the specs here, for those who are looking to build. I'll start out with a couple builds.

$892.93 + $43 for each GB of RAM over 1GB + Shipping
$404.94 +$43 for each GB of RAM over 1GB + Shipping

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aw, man, I hate living in brazil.
    Those pcs are so awesome and cheap.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How can I tell if that motherboard will fit correctly inside of a case I already own?

I think my motherboard is going to the fritz. My computer randomly shuts off and starts making all sorts of crazy beeping noises, though most often during games or movies. I ran a few ram tests; they didn't pick up any errors. I swapped in a new video card, and I get the same problem.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it an OEM case? (dell, HP, gateway(does gateway still exist?)) or is it an aftermarket case?

If its OEM it may not work, if it is aftermarket there is a good chance it will.

Loafgoat on
  • RageRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fair warning - I don't really do 'budget' builds, but I do shop for reliability, bang-per-buck and futureproofing.

Case: COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution - $179.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811119122
    11-119-122-24.jpg
    - The Stacker Evo provides a ridiculous amount of space and functionality for both air and water-cooling solutions. It also gives complete flexibility in mounting configurations, supporting ATX and BTX

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 780i SLI - [OoS Newegg] - $269.99 Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00118FM58?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealtime-ce-feed-20&linkCode=asn
    eda4319f8da0002211247110._AA242_.L.jpg
    Anandtech specs: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3180&p=1
    - Simply put, if they would just do away with the damn PS2 ports already, this would be the perfect 780i board. 790i is coming soon but may or may not support DDR2 (runs DDR3 native), however, this 780i supports Intel's 45nm chip and SLIx3, providing a great upgrade option.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz - $279.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819115028
    19-115-028-02.jpg
    - What, no quad-core!? No, not yet. The architecture is great, but nothing is taking advantage of four cores yet. With 45nm Penryn on the horizon, this dual-core with incredible over-clocking potential is a perfect fit.

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $119.00
    ($79.00 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145184
    20-145-184-02.jpg
    - Simply put, DDR2 memory is so cheap, it's hard to ignore. I went with the Corsair XMS because I've used it in two previous builds and it has been bullet-proof, but you can easily swap in Crucial Ballistix, Patriot, or whatever your personal favorite may be for close to the same price and value.

HD (primary): Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB - $174.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136011
    22-136-011-03.jpg
    - Two of these in RAID and you chortle lightly at your buddies' map-loading times.

GPU: EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB - $349.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130312
    14-130-312-03.jpg
    - Bang for the buck. Slightly lower RAM versus the GTX or Ultra, but core clock and memory overclocked stable out of the box equals massive performance ROI, and easily paired in SLI for future upgrading

PSU: ENERMAX Galaxy EGX850EWL ATX12V/ EPS12V/ BTX 850W - $289.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194020
    17-194-020-14.jpg
    - Bullet-proof, 83% efficiency, modular and 5 12v+ rails

Other stuff:

CPU Cooling (air): Scythe SCMNJ-1000 80mm Sleeve "NINJA MINI" CPU Cooler - $34.99http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835185046
    35-185-046-05.jpg

Monitor: BenQ FP241W Black 24" 6ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen - $639.99
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824014124
    24-014-124-06.jpg

Rage on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, here's a question I'm hoping some of you fine folks can answer:

Regarding the 8800 GeForce line - Is the only difference between the 8800gt and 8800gts (G92) the duel slot cooler? Having been pricewatching both models for about a week, it looks like there isn't much difference cost wise between the two (the GT being overpriced due to demand, me thinks).

I've heard the GT can put off some serious heat, so much so that aftermarket coolers are recommended. Does the duelslot cooler on the GTS mitigate this potential issue?

Finally, apologies if this is the wrong place to posit this question - I'm new here ;-)

Thanks!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I for one am waiting for the 9800GTX to drop before I do my new build, as long as it drops before Far Cry 2. With any luck they should both be out by March.

That_Guy on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aussies can take a look at Whirlpool for local prices and parts, as well as pc suggestions:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs
    Updated often by the uses of the forum.

noobert on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Question, guys.

What kind of added benefit is gained from the effects that, at high resolutions, really seem to strain even ultra modern builds (effects like anti-aliasing, trilinear filtering, etc.)?

Like, apparently there is no build in the world that will play Crysis at highest quality, high resolution, with all of the AA bells and whistles and all. If I were to build a 'great' gaming computer (willing to spend $1,500 on case and innards, no monitor needed), what exact limitations would I have? Would I be missing something by not having the 'fancy shmancy' items turned on?

Organichu on
  • Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Regarding the 8800 GeForce line - Is the only difference between the 8800gt and 8800gts (G92) the duel slot cooler? Having been pricewatching both models for about a week, it looks like there isn't much difference cost wise between the two (the GT being overpriced due to demand, me thinks).

I've heard the GT can put off some serious heat, so much so that aftermarket coolers are recommended. Does the duelslot cooler on the GTS mitigate this potential issue?

Finally, apologies if this is the wrong place to posit this question - I'm new here ;-)

Thanks!

YEah, my 8800gt puts out some high temps and the fan is stuck at 20% unless you install Rivatuner. I keep mine at 75% and it works great now.

Bill Nye on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bill Nye wrote: »

Thanks!

YEah, my 8800gt puts out some high temps and the fan is stuck at 20% unless you install Rivatuner. I keep mine at 75% and it works great now.

Yeah, I've read about upping the stock fan speed - I'm sort of concerned about the noise though; for the last few years, I've been using a pretty much garbage case. Upgraded to a Sonata III a few days ago, and I'm LOVING the lack of sound coming from it. Almost to the point where I'm getting anal about the dB output of any other components I pick up.

So is the thing a loud 'ole bastard with the fan speed upped?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bill Nye wrote: »

Thanks!

Yeah, I've read about upping the stock fan speed - I'm sort of concerned about the noise though; for the last few years, I've been using a pretty much garbage case. Upgraded to a Sonata III a few days ago, and I'm LOVING the lack of sound coming from it. Almost to the point where I'm getting anal about the dB output of any other components I pick up.

So is the thing a loud 'ole bastard with the fan speed upped?

Not sure if Rivatuner can, but with ATITool you can scale fan % to temp, so you could have it spinning so slow you cant even hear it when not gaming, then ramp it up when you start making it do something.

noobert on
  • Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah Riva can do it as well, but I have so many fans in my computer, even at 100% fan speed, it doesn't affect the decibel level :P

I have 6 hdds in mine. 1 Raptor and 5 750GB so I have to keep it as chilled as possible in my Chakra case. I have the raptor in a enclosure with two fans and tons of case fans. I don't really trust liquid cooling at this point, so I just live with the noise.

On the other hand, it is a htpc, so it's across the room, so as long as anything is played over the speaker system, the fan noise is immediately one-upped.

Bill Nye on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Whoops, I guess the thread I made should have just been a post here.

Repost time

So my housemates PC just broke completely, it's been on it's last legs for a while, and he needs a complete new system (he has a screen and speakers still at least)

I am looking at this from ebuyer

jonnypcjd2.png

(DVDrs are for me)

Anyone want to tell me I am stupid and that this is bad before we order it? He is on a pretty slim ( student) budget, but I think I have put together a pretty decent system at a low price, and it will be a slight upgrade from his old system anyway.

He still has a working DVD drive.

I don't really know about power supplies/cases. But these ones are pretty and have nice numbers next to them -
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/61308
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119592

Does that 'lcd' mean it has a display for things like temperature? Coz that would be badass.

I will probably need advice on how to put it together but that's another thread. Between us he knows how to put hardware together really well, and I know how to buy things, so we should be able to do it together, but last time I did anything to do with putting a PC together was like 4 years ago, and I think I have forgotten most of it.

In the previous thread, Centipeed suggested considering a more expesive power supply - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120375/show_product_reviews

I don't know much about power supplies, what are the advantage?

People were also debating whether an AMD processor might be better performance in this price range. Suggestions?

LewieP on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The manual for the motherboard should detail how to connect stuff up in enough depth. The only thing I'd worry about is connecting those little connectors from the case itself (for the LEDs, buttons and whatnot). One thing I strongly advise is to use only the chipset driver from the included driver CD, and then download the rest (sound drivers, graphics, etc) from the internet.

Branded PSUs have the advantage of generally being quieter, and more efficient. One of my uncles was buying a new comp on the cheap, his total ended up about £220, and his PSU was one of them Casecoms. I personally wouldn't recommend them if you had the cash but the thing works, and isn't loud at all.

The case is alright, though if it's the same one as my uncle's, I found the CD eject button to be positioned on the flap itself, which I thought was retarded. I guess most people these days just push the tray back but still. The LCD displays a temp reading, probably the mobo's.

Prawnstar suggested an Athlon 64X2 4600+ which is about the same price as your Pentium Dual Core. You should check some reviews out if available but in my opinion any desktop cpus currently from Intel that's not C2D is not worth looking at.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alright, so just recently my desktop has died. Well, it's basically totaled seeing as replacing the parts that went out almost warrant a whole new PC.

The old was an Athlon XP 2700+, shitty ECS mobo that came with the processor for free, 1 gig ram, 80gb HDD, an ATI Radeon AIW X800XT agp, and a 400w power supply. It was getting on up there in years and the PS and both HDDs died on me.

I started looking on Newegg and decided that I'll get something now that will be on the cheap with the 775 socket and a PCIe slot so that I can upgrade later on. But my video card is an AGP and I spent a lot of money on it back when it was new and I really don't have the money right now for a new video card. That is, unless it is something super cheap like a 8500GT, but I'm not sure that is worth it.

I found that the VIA PT880 chipset allows for dual use of both an AGP and a PCIe 16 slot. I've also found an ASRock mobo that has both, but I've read that the PCIe slot runs only in 4x mode and there might be compatibility issues with certain cards.

Here's what I've put together for a new build. I am recycling the old Case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers:

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $49.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $129.99

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard $59.99

PNY 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Memory $39.99

COOLMAX V-500 ATX 500W Power Supply $24.99

2 Link Depot FAN-80-BK 80mm Case Fan $3.78

Grand Total: $308.73

My questions are thus:

Is there a major difference in a PCIe 16 slot running at 4x and a normal one?

Should I go with the AGP/PCIe mobo and keep my current video card or just spring for another mobo and cheap video card like the 8500gt for about $100 more?

On Power Supplies: COOLMAX good or bad, and should I spring for higher wattage?

What the hell is the difference between DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) memory?

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    AGP is dead, PCI-E is the new standard for high-end video cards. 500W should be enough power. The 5400 ram is slightly faster than the 5300.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, so my computer is nearly 5 years old and has died. I've had to steal my partners computer while he's been away, but now that is starting to fail on me (plus he's back soon, so he may want it back, even if it is knackered). I've been looking for a computer under £350 and decided the best way to get the most from my money is to build one myself. I have a friend who can help me put it all together, but I thought I'd ask you guys if these parts are all I need, and if they'll all work together (I already have a dvd writer which is fairly new and good - needed a lightscribe for my media work you see - so don't need one of them). Also, what sort of games would I be able to run well on it? The most advanced game I have is STALKER, and I haven't been able to play it yet due to the fact my current PC is poo. So please tell me what you think of the below! Thanks!

Untitled.jpg

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
    edited January 2008
    Putting PC together now. Quick question -
    Do SATA hard drives require a separate power supply? I would have assumed yes, but it didn't seem to come with a cable for power.

Edit: I fail at looking, cancel that.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    They use a different connector. There are standard molex -> SATA power adapters, they usually come with the motherboard or SATA card

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2008
    So another problem now.

We got everything plugged in and set up. The power light on the motherboard lights up, and the fans whir, but there is no video output.

The motherboard seems to have no onboard VGA out, and the X1650 has dual DVI out (We probably whould have got a card with VGA out, since that what his monitor has, but this one was way cheaper) but I had an old DVI-VGA converter spare, so we used that. The neons in the case turn on and everything, but nothing is coming out of the video card.

Any suggestions as to what we should look at first? He is concerned that maybe we got static in one of the components, but I think this is unlikely since we both had no shoes or sock on, on tiles, and the PC was on a wooden table.

LewieP on
    edited January 2008
    Edit: This isn't really a build issue now, I'll start a seperate thread, thanks anyway.

LewieP on
  • BulbasaurBulbasaur Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was just going about building a new computer I was doing some research regarding how much RAM to get I noticed some people saying that the ~4gb limit on vista 32bit included video card RAM. Then other people start arguing saying that wasn't true and basically no conclusion was reached but I did come away from the experience pretty confused.

So I s'pose my question is am I wasting my money on 4gb of RAM when I could get 3gb and finish the rest off with a video card with 768gb of VRAM (Considering the only resource intensive applications that this computer will be running are games.) or is it just false that when gaming the onboard RAM and VRAM add together to reach Vista 32bit's limit?

Bulbasaur on
    Brawl Code - 0216-0458-2046 | PM me if you've added me.
    edited January 2008
    I'm almost certain that VRAM doesn't count towards your total RAM. Meaning that Vista should be able to handle the 4GB of RAM and whatever VRAM is on your Video Card.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want to build a system around this case and this CPU.

Basically, what would be a good motherboard to slot this into? Something with lots of future potential should I decide to swap out CPUs again at some point. Bleeding edge is fine. I have money to burn. (Though it looks like there hasn't been much new in Micro-ATX boards recently. Is anything new coming out?) Also, any thoughts on power supplies?

I don't NEED to build the system for another couple months. Are there any newer CPUs in that price range coming out soon? I was thinking about one of those 8800 GT for a video card as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Esh on
  • Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm looking to buy and build almost a whole new system at the moment - something which I've absolutely no experience in personally, and so I turn to you for help.

I've got these parts in mind so far, but if there are any incompatibilities, or if there isn't enough power, or anything along those lines, it would be great to know before I place any orders.

Also, feel free to recommend alternatives - cheaper if the component is only slightly worse, a little more expensive if it's a lot better, anything goes - like I say, I'm a complete beginner at this kind of thing.

Here we go then:
    Case
    Antec P182 Advanced Super Mid Tower
    4jv3_large.jpg

PSU
    Corsair Memory 620 Watt
    4b0r_large.jpg

Motherboard
    EVGA Socket 775 nForce 680i SLI
    4jgz_large.jpg

CPU
    I'm undecided here - either:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz

OR

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 S775 3.0ghz
    (You know what a processor box looks like :p)

RAM
    Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB)
    4pdl_large.jpg

Hard Drive
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB
    4l6h_large.jpg

GPU
    productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4S83&CategorySelectedId=11137&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11137,415910000,50544
    4s83_large.jpg

...and probably a copy of Vista, unless I can be persuaded out of it.

Thanks!

Dayvan Cowboy on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a little drunk right now so this is a terrible time but whatever. So many typos.

I just bought an 8800gt PNY off of Best Buy because they are having a 20% off. I've been planning on building a new rig but have been waiting on a 8800 so I guess now is the time. I've been buying a few other parts as I've seen good deals. The thing is I want to salvage old PC parts but I'm a bit worried.

As of now, new, I've got some Samsung 20x DVD burner, the PNY 8800gt, 2x2gb SLI Ready (WTH) OCZ sticks of RAM, maybe another 2x1gb sticks I may or may not use, and I guess that is all the new stuff.
    Old parts I have a big ass case with five fans and a modular power supply that I plan on using. So obviously I need a motherboard and new processor still. The only thing I'm worried about, other than getting a shitty motherboard or overpaying for a processor (shooting for a dual core from Intel) is my power supply. It is 500watt ATX. For the stuff I'm getting do I need a bigger power supply?

I built my last computer but haven't kept up with technology in the least so whatever advice you have is welcome, especially any motherboard and processor suggestions. I'm not looking to break the bank but I guess I should get an nVidea SLI motherboard since the RAM I bought (DDR2 4GB PC6400 DUAL OCZ (2X2GB) SPEED 800MHz, no longer listed on Frys) is designed with that in mind.

oh shit I should get a fancy SATA drive while I'm at it why is building a PC so expensive I shouldn't have drunk purchased that 8800gt
    but 20% off seems good ___________moooooeeeeeee
    ...I'm going to hate this post in the morning.

Accualt on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes, probably

Otherwise 500W is fine. There's no need to buy an SLI mobo, that bit about ram is just a marketing gimmick. (Of course if you want SLI in the future then buy one) but generally the P35 mobos are fairly future proof and not to expensive ~$100. As for CPU, an Intel E8400 is only $200

Rook on
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure how great this is to have stickied. I'm seeing lots of questions but no replies...

Esh on
    edited January 2008
    The purpose of the sticky is to replace the 5 or more computer build threads that exist simultaneously at all times. The question to reply ratio is about the same as it was in the individual threads.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2008
    Yeah, but most people pay no attention to the stickies unfortunately. Eh.

Esh on
    edited January 2008
    That's why computer build threads get locked and informed of the sticky.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am excited. Just a couple/few more weeks until the Nvidia 9xxx series sees the light of day. My new computer fund will have $2500 in it by that time (Tax return FTW). I am looking at the "Core 2 Quads" for my new build. I have been out of motherboard game for a while now. What brands would be good these days? I saw a crazy-ass Asus board for $299, but I am sure that is going "overboard" (pun intended). In the past I have had issues with Gigabyte Boards, but this was a couple of years ago.

That_Guy on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a little behind on Vista and 64 bit stuff. Will my 32bit windows XP work on a 64 bit processor? Why do I need new drivers for 64 bit CPUs?

Also, I'm trying to pick between the 512 8800GT and the 256 8800GT, the only spec difference is the memory and the core clock(which is 50 MHz faster on the 256. The price difference is only 40 bucks so all I need to know is if that 50 MHz difference will mean anything to me or if the 512 thing is overkill?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'm a little behind on Vista and 64 bit stuff. Will my 32bit windows XP work on a 64 bit processor? Why do I need new drivers for 64 bit CPUs?

Also, I'm trying to pick between the 512 8800GT and the 256 8800GT, the only spec difference is the memory and the core clock(which is 50 MHz faster on the 256. The price difference is only 40 bucks so all I need to know is if that 50 MHz difference will mean anything to me or if the 512 thing is overkill?

Go with the 512 - it will make the biggest difference.

Also, 32bit windows will work fine on a 64bit processor - you don't need new drivers for anything (you need them if you are running XP64.)

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • jogernautjogernaut BisonopolisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I am excited. Just a couple/few more weeks until the Nvidia 9xxx series sees the light of day. My new computer fund will have $2500 in it by that time (Tax return FTW). I am looking at the "Core 2 Quads" for my new build. I have been out of motherboard game for a while now. What brands would be good these days? I saw a crazy-ass Asus board for $299, but I am sure that is going "overboard" (pun intended). In the past I have had issues with Gigabyte Boards, but this was a couple of years ago.

Interesting. I was actually planning on building a new system, since the new Penryn chips are out. Might as well wait a few more weeks for the 9xxx series.

jogernaut on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    My mate has these components, and has to now get a motherboard, can someone suggest a good one?

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2GHz Socket 775 800MHz FSB L2 1MB Cache Retail Box Processor
    Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered
    PowerColor X1650PRO 512MB GDDR2 128Bit DVI PCI-E Graphics card
    Casecom 500W 12cm Fan - 20+4pin, ATX12v, 4x Molex
    Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache - OEM

LewieP on
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Check the label on your psu for the amps on the +12v rail(s). If it's a single +12v rail, you need to see a number larger than 24. If it's labeled as 2 or 3 +12v rails, you need to look for the total watts on the combined +12v rails, then divide that by 12. That number needs to be larger than 24. Though really, if it has multiple rails, it will probably be fine for anything short of SLI (or x2's or gx2's).

edit: that's to A_ccualt, threads got merged :(

imperial6 on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just built this tower for my brother.

2 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 from the egg. $75

all of this came from Microcenter

GA-P35-DS3L P35 $110
    Western Digital 250GB Sata-300 HDD $70
    NZXT Lexa Blackline $85
    GeForce 8800 GT 512MB $220
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W $135
    Core 2 Duo e8400 $185 (not on their website for some reason)
    TurboPlex Super Multi Dual/Double Layer DVD Burner $90

$970 not including tax.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, feel free to recommend alternatives - cheaper if the component is only slightly worse, a little more expensive if it's a lot better, anything goes - like I say, I'm a complete beginner at this kind of thing.

Thanks!

You could save a lot of money and get a really good mobo if you give up SLI (which is more money and trouble than it's worth imo): DS3R

Also, get an e8400! It is cheaper, faster, and cooler than an e6850.

edit: This is for everyone...if you didn't know, this exists in H&A, might be that your question has already been answered.

imperial6 on
  • Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    imperial6 wrote: »

Thanks!

You could save a lot of money and get a really good mobo if you give up SLI (which is more money and trouble than it's worth imo): DS3R

Also, get an e8400! It is cheaper, faster, and cooler than an e6850.

edit: This is for everyone...if you didn't know, this exists in H&A, might be that your question has already been answered.

Awesome, nice catch on the motherboard, thanks! Are Gigabyte boards generally good quality? I've had one before and had a couple of problems with it, but I'd be willing to put that down to just bad luck.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the quad core Q6600 now, I'm not the kind of guy to upgrade my processor without buying a whole new system along with it generally, and I think the Q6600 will serve me better in the future even if not right now.

Oh, and thanks for the link, I'll read through some of that later.

Dayvan Cowboy on
This discussion has been closed.