As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 Election] Math is Dead

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    From Nick Confessore, NYT reporter:
    Iä! Iä! Needle fhtagn

(I) (alt-u) (a) if you're on a Mac, so as not to anger The Needle.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Saying that "white" Latinos go for Trump is some gross ass shit. Please educate yourself.
    Isn't white hispanic a thing? Or is that something different? I don't know, I'm just a cat

It is yes. But white hispanics are not latinx. They’re European

Is this actually a thing? I, and most of the white Hispanics I know identify as latinx. This is mostly PRicans, I always check the "white" box, but also the "latino" box if able.

Yes. Though obviously nothing stops you from checking the box.

The most obvious example is Cuban expats, IE people that fled Castro’s revolution. IE the people who ruled Cuba

Interesting I don't know many Cubans, but a huge amount of white PRicans, never heard anyone call themselves European.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    is arguing over hispanic ethnicity pleasing to Election Dragon?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not a peach cobbler, but I do have these primed and ready to light up if PA goes tonight:
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

Like the man said, don't light up til the fat lady sings.

PA going is the fat lady. If the vote in PA is done, and Biden wins, the only thing that can change things would be a WI recount finding ~300 times more votes to change than they have before.

I have a feeling that PA is going to be a battle even after the count is finished. Trump camp was planning on legal fuckery there from the start.

Yeah but with planning they’re getting obliterated by the judge.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Not a peach cobbler, but I do have these primed and ready to light up if PA goes tonight:
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

Monte Cristo is my preferred cigar on the very rare occasion I smoke up. It’s quite smooth.

Monte Cristo? Good name for a count.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    per NBC as many as 8,900 overseas ballots possible in GA, but they have to arrive by tomorrow so we won't know the total for sure until then

That seems... potentially really important

Not really. If Biden has Pennsylvania in the bag like everyone who would know keeps saying then he can lose Georgia and Arizona and still win with 279 EC votes. Winning Georgia and Arizona is technically just running up the score and protecting against ratfucking with baseless court challenges.

If Biden gets PA, he can lose in every other uncalled state and still win with 273.
    Getting Arizona and Georgia, while protecting against ratfuckery, also adds more legitimacy to the
    Presidency. But also higher scores allows forplay are the senate. As to protect our senator there and Georgia to force two runoffs.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

Like the man said, don't light up til the fat lady sings.

PA going is the fat lady. If the vote in PA is done, and Biden wins, the only thing that can change things would be a WI recount finding ~300 times more votes to change than they have before.

I have a feeling that PA is going to be a battle even after the count is finished. Trump camp was planning on legal fuckery there from the start.

Yeah but with planning they’re getting obliterated by the judge.

also clearly their plan ended at "challenge it in court"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

Monte Cristo is my preferred cigar on the very rare occasion I smoke up. It’s quite smooth.

Or a sandwich.

• Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    CNN says the vote in GA is effectively tied.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Chanus wrote: »
    is arguing over hispanic ethnicity pleasing to Election Dragon?

Well clearly talking about every batch of 16 votes shaving 6 more off the lead in Georgia has not pleased Election Dragon so maybe if we talk about other shit He will let us hear His glorious Call.

Hevach on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Saying that "white" Latinos go for Trump is some gross ass shit. Please educate yourself.
    Isn't white hispanic a thing? Or is that something different? I don't know, I'm just a cat

Is this actually a thing? I, and most of the white Hispanics I know identify as latinx. This is mostly PRicans, I always check the "white" box, but also the "latino" box if able.

The most obvious example is Cuban expats, IE people that fled Castro’s revolution. IE the people who ruled Cuba

Interesting I don't know many Cubans, but a huge amount of white PRicans, never heard anyone call themselves European.

Half Cuban here, Dad was born in Cuba and left as a child due to Castro. He completely passes as white as does the vast majority of people on that side of my family. It’s only when he starts speaking spanish that people get suspicious.

He definitely does not identify as European, Hispanic or Latino. Cuban and American would be his two choices if asked.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Latinx/hispanic (and Caribbean and Latin American in general) self-identification varies wildly by country and is extremely complex to say the least.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Trump's trident of incompetence is going to prevent any meaningful coup attempts.

1) His legal theory of the case is so bad and presented so poorly that even very partisan judges are like "get this shit out of my face are you kidding me?"
    2) He appointed ACB, losing all leverage when he could have tried to hold it after the election, while always leaving an option to ram her through in the lame duck.
    3) He is running behind down ballot candidates, proving they do not need him to be successful.

I mean, sure he could try and send in the army or nationalize the National Guard and barricade himself in the White House but honestly I'd fucking love to see him do that so President Biden can order the Secret Service to drag him out of his house on inauguration day and dump him unceremoniously on his ass in the street.

Edit: He's also losing by too much to credibly steal the vote but who ever heard of a quadent? It's just too many votes to invalidate. It needed to be more razor thin in more states.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

A great sandwich. So maybe an earl?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Half Cuban here, Dad was born in Cuba and left as a child due to Castro. He completely passes as white as does the vast majority of people on that side of my family. It’s only when he starts speaking spanish that people get suspicious.

He definitely does not identify as European, Hispanic or Latino. Cuban and American would be his two choices if asked.

Look we're gonna need your dad to fit himself neatly into one of these little boxes we have here already prechosen.
    (Kidding of course I bet your dad is rad)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    maiw8wnijmgw.jpg

Or a sandwich.

I would love to have carnal knowledge of such a construction. Gotta have the some plum or cherry preserves with it. I find the normal Maple syrup dip to be too cloyingly sweet.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Talking Cuban, Monte Cristo, and sandwiches has got me real hungry for more election results

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Half Cuban here,

Is ... is this more sandwich talk? Because you're all making me hungry now.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    From Nick Confessore, NYT reporter:
    Iä! Iä! Needle fhtagn

(I) (alt-u) (a) if you're on a Mac, so as not to anger The Needle.

Duly noted! Also, according the source texts, it should be punctuated with a !

I've just been copy/pasting it. I've forgotten who originated The Needle Ritual, but I think it was an Election Thread or two back.
    Iä! Iä! Needle fhtagn!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Not sure many would call themselves European. Nor is there a requirement that every white hispanic is European.

But it’s a bit like saying that Afrikaner aren’t European. And sure, not every “white African” is Afrikaner. And it could be right to say that Afrikaner arent European in some sense, to ignore the history there would be a mistake.

In general the more “white hispanic” you are the more likely you’re to have a higher proportion of Spanish and the more “non-white Hispanic” the more indigenous you’re likely to have

Edit: the main takeaway is that everyone likes to ignore the effect of colonialism on their part of the world.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    CNN says Trump's lead in Georgia is under 2,000 votes, and there are still 16,000 votes remaining. All mail-in ballots I think? Trump is finished, right?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    CNN says Trump's lead in Georgia is under 2,000 votes, and there are still 16,000 votes remaining. All mail-in ballots I think? Trump is finished, right?

There's still oversea and provision ballots to count as well, so they won't be able to call it anytime soon, but yeah, it's looking like Biden is going to overtake Trump soon(ish).

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

No, not yet. Never assume.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Mary Trump laying down some harshness on her uncle with O'Donnell on MSNBC. Going deep on the psychological side of things, and I'm loving it.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

I mean, how sure do you want to be? This has been 99.9% over since about midnight Tuesday, but if you want to be 100% sure then not quite yet

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anything so close is almost certainly going to be subjected to a recount.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Just under 11000 mail in and a batch of military/expat ballots due in tomorrow I think. The mail ballots have been breaking hard for Biden but the other batch could be a wildcard.

• Options
    Another baby 300 vote update in Georgia, deficit drops to 1797

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Just under 11000 mail in and a batch of military/expat ballots due in tomorrow I think. The mail ballots have been breaking hard for Biden but the other batch could be a wildcard.

I heard 30,000 provisional ballots as well.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Recounts rarely change the outcome and they'd be equally as likely to find more votes for Joe.

Voting technology has come a long way since Florida. There is less ambiguity and points to fuck it up.

• Options

There’s formality recount and then there’s “so tight that literally every time you count you might get a different winner” recounts.

I’m pretty sure Biden can run it up to the former, but that’s what I’m watching.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Recounts rarely change the outcome and they'd be equally as likely to find more votes for Joe.

Voting technology has come a long way since Florida. There is less ambiguity and points to fuck it up.

I'm not saying it will change the results, just that it will be demanded.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    280,000 ballots remain in AZ, 200,000 are in Maricopa County

per AZ Secretary of State own NBC

e: most regular early ballots, very small amount are provisional

Chanus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My wife’s friend, here in Abilene TX, just got this in her mailbox

8zd4e5mmjrfq.jpeg

• Options
    Special K wrote: »
    Half Cuban here,

Is ... is this more sandwich talk? Because you're all making me hungry now.

I'm checking the fridge. I have some honey wheat bread, 3-4oz of roast beef, and stone ground mustard. Sadly only cheese is a shredded Mexican blend, going to up the difficulty on making a grilled cheese with it, but I'm a brave pioneer...let's do it!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

8zd4e5mmjrfq.jpeg

Call the police.
    And the news.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

8zd4e5mmjrfq.jpeg

oh christ

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

8zd4e5mmjrfq.jpeg

Well at least they said please.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I am super not surprised.
    Annoyed, angry, frustrated, even sad, but not surprised.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

8zd4e5mmjrfq.jpeg

Holy fuck what. That's more than slightly terrifying.

This discussion has been closed.