As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I microwaved my metal spoon

DrezDrez Registered User regular
No fire. 45 seconds. I’m assuming the food is safe, then?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Yes, the food will be fine.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks. One more question: Do I have superpowers now? Or maybe does my spoon have superpowers now?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Worst case the spoon fried the magnetron of the microwave.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Thanks. It works. I tried it. I almost tried it again with the spoon in the damn bowl again which would have been really sad.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Thanks. One more question: Do I have superpowers now? Or maybe does my spoon have superpowers now?

If it not the spoon that bends gets superpowers, it is only yourself.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I haz microwaved all sorts of stuff I shouldn’t have because I didn’t check tupaware before I put them in the microwave, and I often left forks and spoons in the containers.

The foods fine, sometimes the area next to the metal gets dry and a bit tough.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    have you got powers over cutlery yet?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Nah, that only happens when you microwave your underwear:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    wow y'all, I'm disappointed. Has it really been that long?

@Drez there is no spoon

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    have you got powers over cutlery yet?

3c3qcsta17qy.jpg

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FWIW there are microwaves with smooth metal racks. Metal in a microwave doesn't instantly mean bad things.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    FWIW there are microwaves with smooth metal racks. Metal in a microwave doesn't instantly mean bad things.

What makes for problems is if there's an arc gap. Spoons are generally safe unless part of it gets close to another piece of metal, or if there's slots in the handle.

Foil is bad news because every little crinkle creates an arc path and a point where charges can collect and escape. Forks are extra bad news. Knives with riveted handles are probably worst, the time I accidentally microwaved one the handle caught fire right around both rivets.

Hevach on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Goddammit, Drez.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

What makes for problems is if there's an arc gap. Spoons are generally safe unless part of it gets close to another piece of metal, or if there's slots in the handle.

Foil is bad news because every little crinkle creates an arc path and a point where charges can collect and escape. Forks are extra bad news. Knives with riveted handles are probably worst, the time I accidentally microwaved one the handle caught fire right around both rivets.

Fun fact: the same thing happens on the ends of the bent metal handle for chinese food containers.

I have <<NO IDEA>> how I know that. >.>

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBnZzg82Pvg&amp;t

If you're curious about what actually happens when you put metal shit in a microwave. It's kind of shocking how much they throw at it and the reactions -and lack of reactions- they get.

Generally speaking, a modern microwave with modern silverware probably isn't actually going to do a thing, but it's still something you shouldn't make a habit of. If for no other reason than it'll make the silverware hot to touch.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Cool :) Thanks

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Grapes, too.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The one I toasted a microwave with as a kid was trying to melt a pack of fruit snax, but the inner lining of the package had shiny and zzzt

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    in high school my friend's punk band released an album called 'metal in the microwave'

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    in high school my friend's punk band released an album called 'metal in the microwave'

I hope each song was about three minutes long and started chilled.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    And they rotated slowly while playing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The one I toasted a microwave with as a kid was trying to melt a pack of fruit snax, but the inner lining of the package had shiny and zzzt

I remember shrinking Doritos bags in the microwave because I don't know. They were small bags of Doritos. I don't even know why I put the first empty bag in the microwave to begin with.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Someone who was a customer of my store once microwaved a burrito inside of the tin foil.

That microwave did not survive the encounter, unlike this fork.

And neither did the burrito from the resulting fire.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.