As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    HerrCron wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    "Oh we'll maybe defeat Covid by the spring."

What did I just say about the October Reactor?

I fondly remember the days when it would all be over by Christmas...

They just neglected to mention which Christmas.

at least we know there still needs to be a civilization that still remembers the word "christmas", so it's probably < 5k-ish years

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    I see Farage has already been on This Morning today spouting his utter shite about how "we need to learn to live with Covid instead of lockdowns".

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Did the scofe at least sigh heavily at him?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I see Farage has already been on This Morning today spouting his utter shite about how "we need to learn to live with Covid instead of lockdowns".

I'm surprised considering his main voter base is the kind of person that Covid has a higher chance of killing.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I'm surprised considering his main voter base is the kind of person that Covid has a higher chance of killing.

Yes, but (he hopes) not before he gets their money.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    You can literally watch the beginning of, "V for Vendetta" and the angry, Englishman could pass as either Roger Ailes or Nigel Farage.

Although Farage is FAR more punchable.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Setting aside all political opinions, Farage just comes off as abrasively smug to me.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

The media's enabling of Farage is something that I wish they'd get called out on more often.

Just why is he on TV? He's no-one now.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    You can literally watch the beginning of, "V for Vendetta" and the angry, Englishman could pass as either Roger Ailes or Nigel Farage.

Although Farage is FAR more punchable.

Well, yeah. Obviously.

To punch Roger Ailes, you'ld need a shovel.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I mean, if you offer me a shovel to use on Farage...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome

(pesto itv journalist)

and down the winding path they go

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome
    so far no movement on talks (publicly)

frost is uk negotiator

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    So he agrees that they can't come to an agreement?
    Finally, some progress!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    So awesome
    conservative response eg con mp for harwich and north essex

5 years later, conservatives still invoking the tariff one receives without anybody in your country paying it...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    Obviously by "the UK" he means "whoever's in charge and their mates".
    I assume tariffs are levied by the government and, as a result, wander into their collective pocket?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I assume tariffs are levied by the government and, as a result, wander into their collective pocket?

Tarrifs are a tax on certain goods (and countries of origin) paid by the importer, not the exporter. The money goes to the government, but the real point of them is to make domestically produced goods competitive with foreign imports.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    So awesome

Tarrifs are a tax on certain goods (and countries of origin) paid by the importer, not the exporter. The money goes to the government, but the real point of them is to make domestically produced goods competitive with foreign imports.

yeah but my point is that the money taken in via tariffs ends up in the government's pockets.
    It's going to hurt consumers to the benefit of .. I dunno .. Chris Grayling?

• Options
    edited November 2020

yeah but my point is that the money taken in via tariffs ends up in the government's pockets.
    It's going to hurt consumers to the benefit of .. I dunno .. Chris Grayling?

i dont think the extra money is of any concern to the cronys in the government. Tariffs are purely a publicity move because the public dont understand how they work so they think they are beneficial and showing the EU what for etc etc

Antinumeric on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Yes, but (he hopes) not before he gets their money.

Its not like he actually cares about getting elected. The scam is running a political party, not something as base as trying to win seats. Dead voters make no difference to that.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's a Brewster's Millions scenario, only he's trying to get everybody else to spend millions and see nothing in return

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Furlough scheme extended until March: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54824120

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Edit: not the chat thread

japan on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2020

Red Box and Times reporter. Doesn't look like Corbyn getting suspended did Labour any harm, though of course it may take a while to sink in. As always it should be remembered that another general election is four years away, so this isn't cause for champagne or anything, but it's nice to see some evidence of the public deciding hey maybe that pack of bastards isn't the best thing ever after all.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I see Boris has been making positive noises about an EU trade deal.

I guess Bidens impending victory has thrown a spanner in the works.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    I see Boris has been making positive noises about an EU trade deal.

I guess Bidens impending victory has thrown a spanner in the works.

Kind of, but there wasn't ever much chance of getting a non-toxic US trade deal either way, as the Republicans will have a nightmare list of demands and even the house Democrats will want us to buy their state's unsanitary (and cruelly raised) meat and overpriced ineffective drugs.

• Options
    So shitty
    The Republicans would be only too happy to give us a deal that screws us, and Dems won't allow a deal that screws the GFA. It's hard to come up with a deal that doesn't do at least one of those.

• Options
    edited November 2020

knaprxou1dvq.jpg

Boris Johnson is the Prime Minister of the UK for some reason.

You can just hear the gritted teeth he forced that through, can't you.

There's some lovely replies to that, too.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Sturgeon, Starmer and Khan all beat him to the punch.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I look forward to the UK working closely with the US and having a President finally hold this chuckle fuck Prime Minister to account.

EDIT: UK Politics Twitter is having some fun tonight

Jack Blanchard is the Editor of Politico Europe.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Obama’s former NSC advisor. Biden ain’t gonna forget your racist shit, dickhead.

• Options
    So awesome
    Man all this sovereignty!

I assume Boris will now bend over for the EU.

• Options
    Man all this sovereignty!

I assume Boris will now bend over for the EU.

Tweeter is a rando, but goddamn that's a lovely response.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    [Hollow screaming intensifies]

• Options
    Former shadow chancellor and Strictly Come Dancing contestant Ed Balls continues to be a national treasure.

Ed Balls wrote:
    I WON STRICTLY, BY A LOT!

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    IDK why, but the "0" in the 10 of Boris's image is disturbing me. It's partly slanted and the spacing seems off - it looks like it's about to fall down. I don't know if that's an official thing, but "off-kilter and ready to tumble over in a stiff breeze" also could summarize his premiership.

• Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    IDK why, but the "0" in the 10 of Boris's image is disturbing me. It's partly slanted and the spacing seems off - it looks like it's about to fall down. I don't know if that's an official thing, but "off-kilter and ready to tumble over in a stiff breeze" also could summarize his premiership.

It's meant to look like the numbers on the door of 10 Downing street.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Former shadow chancellor and Strictly Come Dancing contestant Ed Balls continues to be a national treasure.

Ed Balls wrote:
    I WON STRICTLY, BY A LOT!

Ed Balls.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

It's meant to look like the numbers on the door of 10 Downing street.

about which you can read more here, including acknowledgement of and at least one possible explanation for the very issue(s) you identified.

• Options
    So shitty
    PM climbdown over free meals in school holidays
    The government is to spend about £400m to support poor children and their families in England, following a campaign by footballer Marcus Rashford.

A winter grant scheme, to be run by councils, will provide support with food and bills, and a holiday food and activities programme is to be expanded.

Rashford said it would improve the lives of nearly 1.7 million children.

The move represents a significant climbdown for the government, which had argued Universal Credit was enough.

• Options
    They snuck that out yesterday under the cover of Biden winning.

Can’t believe they nationalised children!

This discussion has been closed.