As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trump's Lame Duck Extravaganza

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited November 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Donald Trump, having lost the election, gets to be president for a couple of months. This thread is to talk about all the unexpected and expected things he'll do as president for the next 74 days.

Things you can't talk about here:
Democratic party, and Democratic party related shenanigans.
Liberals, the left.
The media.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think its very cool we won but make no mistake, everyone

Trump is going to attempt to absolutely powerbomb whats left of the government on his way out.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    PS, he's currently golfing.

This is a thing I expect him to be doing a lot of over the next two and a half months.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

This is a thing I expect him to be doing a lot of over the next two and a half months.

The best case scenario right now is him taking his ball and going home.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Can we, in all caps, proclaim how Trump can get fucked here? Or is that not on topic. I just want to be sure.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    While I want a peaceful transition of power, with Trump walking out the door, a part of me still wants to see him dragged out, kicking and screaming by the Secret Service. Or thrown, Uncle Phil style, out the front door.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    The real question is how and when he knifes McConnell in the back. Given this is Trump, I have to wonder how pissed he is that McConnell might get to keep his position of power, while he gets chucked out the door. That's to say, I'm wondering if Trump might decide to fuck republicans over on the GA run-offs. He might decide that since he doesn't get to be POTUS anymore and possibly looking at both bankruptcy and jail time, why should Mitch get to keep his position of power and influence as senate majority leader.

IMO it would be fantastic if he had dirt that could get Mitch put in jail because I wouldn't at all be surprised if Mitch was up to some illegal shit behind the scenes. Lawlessness seems par for the course for the GOP and jail time for Mitch probably gets him permanently out of the Senate. Though I'd settle for something that just costs the GOP the GA runoffs.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    He's going to fire people who don't need to be fired because they'll be out of work anyway.

He's going to fire people who shouldn't be fired and have nothing to do with this because he's a dipshit.

He's going to take anything not bolted down in the White House because he's a petty thief.

Just a long string of "LOOK HOW MUCH OF A TOUGH GUY I STILL AM" type shit, one last assertion of "dominance" or whatever.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Can we, in all caps, proclaim how Trump can get fucked here? Or is that not on topic. I just want to be sure.

Here, lemme try it.

TRUMP CAN GET FUCKED IN EVERY WAY UNTIL JANUARY, THEN HE CAN JUST FUCK OFF

I'm moderately worried about the lame duck, but I'm also hopeful that both Congress (including the Republican side) and all the career officials out there will simply stonewall him for the next couple months while the transition happens. The main concern will be the pardon extravaganza...I expect him to take it further than usual.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

The best case scenario right now is him taking his ball and going home.

I don't know, I'm really hoping for a Jazzy Jeff situation

steam_sig.png
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Trump is going to continue ridiculous fundraising. He will hopefully disembowel the GOP on his way out the door, his campaign raised soft-money interwoven with the GOP general fund. I predict at least one lawsuit and probably a crippled and divided Republican party come mid-terms. You can't have a cult of personality without it failing when the personality leaves.

Operation turbo-fuck everyone he can on his way out the door engaged.

I predict he does crimes that the Republican congress wont even cover for and in an effort to save their own party McConnell and the Republicans in the House throw him deep deep under the bus.

e: OMG the deep state was always about getting rid of Donald Trump! The conspiracy won?!?!

dispatch.o on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    The real question is how and when he knifes McConnell in the back. Given this is Trump, I have to wonder how pissed he is that McConnell might get to keep his position of power, while he gets chucked out the door. That's to say, I'm wondering if Trump might decide to fuck republicans over on the GA run-offs. He might decide that since he doesn't get to be POTUS anymore and possibly looking at both bankruptcy and jail time, why should Mitch get to keep his position of power and influence as senate majority leader.

There's zero chance of Trump accepting his loss until after certification, which would be too late?

And even then its a small chance.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I feel like Trump spends the lame duck trying to endlessly re-litigate the election.

Not unlike certain forums I may or may not post in.

Psn:wazukki
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I’m curious to see what moves he does to preempt the release of his taxes and other business dealings that happened over the last 4 years.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Huh. I guess because the last two presidencies have been consecutive, and Bush wasn't appalling in every sense in the time before Barack was elected, that I wasn't really aware it takes you 2 months to inaugurate the new President. I was really hoping I'd stop having to pay attention to Trump within a week or so. :(

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I think the number one thing he won't do is lift even the tiniest finger to help the Senate race in Georgia. He may even actively sabotage the republicans running there by stealing their money and shitting all over them and their state.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    He’s got one more victory coming next week(?) with the ACA, right?

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    So does Stephen Miller go through with all those plans he had after the election? Like, presumably anything he can do in 2 months can just be undone by the incoming Administration.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I think the number one thing he won't do is lift even the tiniest finger to help the Senate race in Georgia. He may even actively sabotage the republicans running there by stealing their money and shitting all over them and their state.
    He is NOT a team player and the odds of him doing this are pretty high.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Huh. I guess because the last two presidencies have been consecutive, and Bush wasn't appalling in every sense in the time before Barack was elected, that I wasn't really aware it takes you 2 months to inaugurate the new President. I was really hoping I'd stop having to pay attention to Trump within a week or so. :(

Yes, the usual peaceful transition of power would a concession speech today, have Biden invited to the White House sometime in the coming day or two, and then the preparation to hand of everything would be in full swing. No major policy "stuff" would happen, and half of America would forget that the incoming guy wasn't already President until inauguration day when they'd be like "oh, right."

Instead, we are going to get an absolute shitshow.

• MillMill Registered User regular

There's zero chance of Trump accepting his loss until after certification, which would be too late?

Actually, this is exactly why he is liable to backstab republicans. It'll because he can't accept the results, that he'll look upon Mitch and the GOP and feel that they had betrayed him because they got to keep their positions of power.

edited November 2020

Actually, this is exactly why he is liable to backstab republicans. It'll because he can't accept the results, that he'll look upon Mitch and the GOP and feel that they had betrayed him because they got to keep their positions of power.

So I don't disagree that some backstabbing will happen due to perceived lack of loyalty. However you're implying that Trump recognizes he's in a different position WRT to the election than McConnell. This I dispute.

Keep in mind he already figured out a while ago that he didn't have the votes. That isn't going to impede him one bit from continuing the fight at least till certification, and very likely after. In order to have a scorched earth "if I'm going you're all going with me!", you have to accept that you're going first.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I’m curious to see what moves he does to preempt the release of his taxes and other business dealings that happened over the last 4 years.

Why would he need to do this? Also what business dealings? This speculation feels a lot like the (wildly inaccurate) speculation that happened on these forums around the time when COMEY got the axe.

. . .and backstabbing Republicans? Why? He got nearly everything he wanted from them including a third Supreme Court pick. He has a bruised ego now, but he'll leave when it is time to leave because while he may not be President after January he still have a ton of political charisma to expend. Makes no sense that he would just say "to hell with it."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    He’s got one more victory coming next week(?) with the ACA, right?

yup the supreme court hears the ACA case and likely destroys obamacare on the 10th

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    So... I remember people joking in 2016 that Obama should resign a couple of days before the inauguration just so that all the merchandise referring to Trump as the 45th president would be wrong.

I'm guessing there's even money that Trump does something along those lines for less wholesome reasons.

cckerberos.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Image of the exact moment when the President's lame duck session began:

spool32 on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    ED! wrote: »

Why would he need to do this? Also what business dealings? This speculation feels a lot like the (wildly inaccurate) speculation that happened on these forums around the time when COMEY got the axe.

. . .and backstabbing Republicans? Why? He got nearly everything he wanted from them including a third Supreme Court pick. He has a bruised ego now, but he'll leave when it is time to leave because while he may not be President after January he still have a ton of political charisma to expend. Makes no sense that he would just say "to hell with it."

Why would he need to do this? Because he doesn't want to go to jail? We have a pretty good idea that his tax returns are not looking great and are already waiting in the courts. For business dealings, any of the Trump brand stuff that has been happening in Turkey, Russia, etc, where he used his position to profit.

He's got a lot of shit coming his way when he can't hide behind the presidency. So I'm curious if we'll see some sort of covering up or immunity type bargains made here.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    edited November 2020

I think you're badly confusing Trump for a normal politician.

The fact that he lost is always everyone else's fault, and the first thing he will blame is his ungrateful supreme court picks for not handing him the election, and then all the Republicans that aren't out there arguing for the end of democracy on his behalf. (Don Jr. already went there.) What you've done for him in the past matters zip if you aren't giving him what he wants right now, just ask Comey and Sessions. And look how gleeful he was to trash the 2018 house GoP losses from reps that weren't sufficiently loyal to him, he does not give a shit about the party beyond what they can do for him.

I don't know that he's going to scorched earth as much as people want but there's zero reason for him to go quietly into the night or take one for the team. The only way he leaves peacefully/willingly is if he resigns in a "you can't fire me, I quit!" ("Even though I won the election!") And that will be just before Pence pardons him for all his federal crimes.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular

Regarding supreme court picks, you have it backwards. Nominating whomever the Federalist Society told him to was something he gave the Republicans so they'd hold their nose and have his back, not something the Republicans gave him.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    So does Stephen Miller go through with all those plans he had after the election? Like, presumably anything he can do in 2 months can just be undone by the incoming Administration.

Not if he deports people and they get murdered in their country of origin, which has happened multiple times already.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think its very cool we won but make no mistake, everyone

Trump is going to attempt to absolutely powerbomb whats left of the government on his way out.

He already started doing so:
    The Trump administration abruptly dumped the leaders of three agencies that oversee the nuclear weapons stockpile, electricity and natural gas regulation, and overseas aid during the past two days, drawing a rebuke from a prominent Republican senator for one of the decisions.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    What are the odds that Trump doesn't understand that he is still president for 2 months and just fucks off on some kind of new grifting tour?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

God I hope so. The next two months will be extremely eventful as Covid runs rampant out of control, the Senate does nothing, and the ACA is overturned and millions of Americans have their health insurance cancelled.

This is on top of the normal graft, pardons, and petty firings. The Trump admin is going to actively burn everything down and leave as many corpses as they can, and this needs to be hammered home in Georgia so people elect a Democratic Senate. It's a long shot, it's going to be difficult, but Trump may accidentally help in this instance.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

IMO it would be fantastic if he had dirt that could get Mitch put in jail because I wouldn't at all be surprised if Mitch was up to some illegal shit behind the scenes. Lawlessness seems par for the course for the GOP and jail time for Mitch probably gets him permanently out of the Senate. Though I'd settle for something that just costs the GOP the GA runoffs.

Remember, Mitch's wife is the current SecTrans, and there are rumors of lots of improprieties with regards to her family's shipping business.

As for stabbing McConnell in the back, I know exactly how Trump does that - he kills McConnell's new stimulus push, giving the Democrats leverage in the GA runoffs.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Not if he deports people and they get murdered in their country of origin, which has happened multiple times already.

The thing is that Miller can't do that alone, and now that there's a clock running over his head, people aren't going to stick their necks out for him.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    This might be morbid but I can see him just getting corona again and never recovering from that

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    This might be morbid but I can see him just getting corona again and never recovering from that

I'm not sure he's really recovered from it the first time.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

I'm not sure he's really recovered from it the first time.

I wouldn't count on him getting Covid again. That is not really confirmed as a thing that happens to normal people, and if it is it's at least very rare so far. But.... we'll see. At the very least I think there's good evidence Covid drained him the first time and he's still tired, so maybe he'll just golf and relax these few months.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    When it finally sinks in that he cant pardon himself for state crimes, he’ll flee in the dead of night to a non-extradition country. It will take WH staff a few days to figure out he’s not coming back. Pence will be sworn in, and then just to be petty he’ll appoint a black conservative woman like Alveda King as VP for the last month in order to try and deny Kamala her historic first.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

Remember, Mitch's wife is the current SecTrans, and there are rumors of lots of improprieties with regards to her family's shipping business.

As for stabbing McConnell in the back, I know exactly how Trump does that - he kills McConnell's new stimulus push, giving the Democrats leverage in the GA runoffs.

I admit this is extremely likely. Especially if he thinks he can use it as some kind of bargaining chip to retain the presidency. He needs some massive incentive to play ball.

By the same token, that just means Republicans have to convince him that they have his back, even if they won't follow through, like with the Barrett pick.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Frankly, I won't be surprised if the Trump kids go on "foreign business trips" and just don't come back. Weasel their way out of punishment.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.