As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President Biden's Cabinet

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited January 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here is a thread to speculate wildly about Joe Biden's cabinet.

Common rumors so far include:

State: Susan Rice
Defense: Michelle Flournoy
Justice: Doug Jones or Sally Yates
Treasury: Jared Bernstein

There is also a rumored NO SENATORS rule, so nothing incredibly stupid like putting Sherrod Brown in the cabinet should happen. Also means no Warren to Treasury or Sanders to Labor, but both of those would have been bad ideas anyway as they are more valuable in the Senate.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
Bogart on

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Susan Rice is a monstrous Brookings-spawned warmonger so that, uh, bodes ill for the future..

Edit - Yikes Flournoy isn't any better. This is bad news for the rest of the world if true.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    No Republicans anywhere economic or foreign policy issues, if you want to give one a lesser position fine (Lahood was fine at transportation) but the idea that you need a Republican to be taken seriously at state or defense or wherever needs to die right now.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I only want to see a Republican in the cabinet if they're a senator from a state with a democratic governor.

• Options
    Yeah Pat Toomey can have anything he wants outside the big four. Same with Ron Johnson. Not that they'd accept, but still.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    We’re going to need someone to be the Louis DeJoy of Homeland Security at the very least
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I only want to see a Republican in the cabinet if they're a senator from a state with a democratic governor.

And even then it’s more traditional to give them an ambassadorship to a country where it doesn’t really matter who the ambassador is but maybe they would want to live there for a few years.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I hope Education goes to someone with classroom experience. Preferably special ed classroom experience since at least at the K12 level that's what the federal government deals with.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It's too bad you can't force someone into a position. I'd pick Trump as ambassador to antarctica or something. Reward the fucker for the last 4 years you know?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    It's too bad you can't force someone into a position. I'd pick Trump as ambassador to antarctica or something. Reward the fucker for the last 4 years you know?

Maybe for Siberia.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Theres been rumors of pulling Gillibrand into the cabinet and giving her seat to AOC, protecting Schumer

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    From who? And HAHAHAHAHA at Cuomo appointing AOC.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I think this is really a great play.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Any republican senators from a state with a democratic governor?

If so, that senator should get a cabinet position

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr
    7) Daines (until the new Governor is sworn in)

I think that's it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that's a pretty terrible list

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "In the spirit of bipartisanship, ...." :)

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If AOC actually wants in the Senate, she can get there on her own merits, no problem.

And yeah, Cuomo would appoint himself before her.

Anyway, at the idea (in the other thread) of Buttigieg getting VA; I think it's a better idea that it might immediately seem.

IMO the VA is low key one of the most important institutions that can be focused on in a split government, and has a lot of potential to effect other things if handled right.

You aren't going to find many in the public who are against reforming the VA. You are going to have a hard time if you're in government arguing against helping veterans. I realize this flies in the face of the reality that the VA is continuously a broken system with enough red tape to build a bridge across the atlantic with. However, with the ACA being threatened right now, reforming the VA into a super functional government run health care system would give a lot of options moving forward on how to get something like single payer and universal coverage from the government, bypassing the minefield that is medicare/caid and pushing private insurance out of the picture before they can even get their hands on it.

Obviously it wouldn't be that simple, but Buttigieg is a quality media personality, regardless of his personal politics being far more conservative than what appeals to me. If they're going to do this, with McConnell blocking everything else, if they can have Buttigieg on TV selling this reform, hard, and shutting down the occasional opposition, it gives a lot of room for Biden and the House to present solid reform (that just coincidentally would resemble what a single payer system would look like; totally an accident!) and sell it to the right.

It makes sense in my head at least. Probably unrealistic or too optimistic; but Biden is going to have his hands tied if we can't get those runoffs in Georgia, and they need a solid plan of non-EO policies they can push for accomplishments before 2022/24.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr

I think that's it.

Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran are from Kansas, and their Governor is also a dem (Laura Kelly)

• Options
    You want a proven administrator at the VA.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    that's a pretty terrible list

Well as soon as the next senator is sworn in you could always fire them for being terrible

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr

I think that's it.

Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran are from Kansas, and their Governor is also a dem (Laura Kelly)

True. I always forget about that one because Kansas.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    With 90% of Democratic power going forward is going to be their control of foreign policy, I would hope they don't fuck that one up with one of the usual ghouls. I’ll wait for the actual picks to get a sense of where we’re headed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    You want a proven administrator at the VA.

I think you can have proven administrators working under a good communicator who already has a public profile at the head.

A wonk might be good to actually come up with plans, but they're not going to get eyes on screens watching to even hear their plans.

Buttigieg doesn't need to be coming up with the ideas himself, he could just be the attack dog selling it.

EDIT: And lets be honest. He's going to run for president again, there is pretty much no doubt. Democrats need to be doing a better job of setting up the next generation, and despite my preference for people like AOC with progressive policies; the fact is they're going to need some moderates too. He's young, charismatic, intelligent and capable of holding his own in debates, on media, and communicating information clearly. If they can hand him some victories that might mitigate some of the controversy over his mayoral activities, he's a pretty clear person to push forward, and it would be an opportunity to do so.

However, if there are any proven administrators who could head the VA who also could defend the VA and any potential reform, who also young enough to take advantage of positive attention from the role for future political aspirations, I'd love to know who. It's too hard to not imagine if we just get some policy person in the role that can't sell anything and doesn't inspire interest in change, the VA will just get pushed aside like it usually does.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    With 90% of Democratic power going forward is going to be their control of foreign policy, I would hope they don't fuck that one up with one of the usual ghouls. I’ll wait for the actual picks to get a sense of where we’re headed.

The regulatory power at FDA, Labor, etc. is seriously underrated here.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Unmuzzling the CDC alone right now...

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    But, what about Space Force? And the mission to Mars?

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    But, what about Space Force? And the mission to Mars?

Is Scott Manley busy?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Yeah, people seem to have forgotten that when they set up the USA pandemic diseases and public health were a huge deal. The CDC can do pretty much whatever the hell it wants to control pandemic viruses if the President lets them.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Yeah, people seem to have forgotten that when they set up the USA pandemic diseases and public health were a huge deal. The CDC can do pretty much whatever the hell it wants to control pandemic viruses if the President lets them.

Biggest annoyance right now: Record setting last three days and 74(?) days until they'll be allowed to do any damn thing.

I wonder how fucking illegal it would be for Joe Biden to privately set up a CDC equivalent and just have them issue public statements. Probably issues of information access.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I don't see how. I don't see what we can do in foreign policy at the moment given all the damage that has been done.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Biggest annoyance right now: Record setting last three days and 74(?) days until they'll be allowed to do any damn thing.

I wonder how fucking illegal it would be for Joe Biden to privately set up a CDC equivalent and just have them issue public statements. Probably issues of information access.

My hope is that Biden just starts hosting regular virus updates and having people from the CDC come speak alongside him. The concern with doing anything is that the Senate won't let him and will not let him rehire the people Trump fires when he is at the helm, but, I think the Senate knows its a really solid plan to put the CDC back in charge and juice the economy with some big fat checks for 12 months. They can look at Australia, Taiwan, China, Singapore. You can beat this virus back, and then you make money again.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    SECRETARY OF OFFENSE

GRITTY

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

I don't see how. I don't see what we can do in foreign policy at the moment given all the damage that has been done.

Foreign policy goal #1 right now has to be to shut down all international travel for reasons other than the shipment of goods. Gotta start helping more and more countries clear out the virus, and persuade people to do that on a local, district by district, country by country level. Gotta distribute vaccines, and PPE. Build international task forces to combat the virus and so on.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

My hope is that Biden just starts hosting regular virus updates and having people from the CDC come speak alongside him. The concern with doing anything is that the Senate won't let him and will not let him rehire the people Trump fires when he is at the helm, but, I think the Senate knows its a really solid plan to put the CDC back in charge and juice the economy with some big fat checks for 12 months. They can look at Australia, Taiwan, China, Singapore. You can beat this virus back, and then you make money again.

Don't think the Senate get to say jack shit about the CDC via confirmation. Could be wrong.

Obviously they have budget influence which is gonna be an issue.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Don't think the Senate get to say jack shit about the CDC via confirmation. Could be wrong.

Obviously they have budget influence which is gonna be an issue.

There is now precedent of using DoD money as a presidential slush fund...

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Unless a miracle happens, you should also try to figure out who is going to be put into acting positions that will be objectionable enough to McConnel that he will vote on the actual nominees.

Like, even if Biden wants Susan Rice for State the Benghazi crowd is going to flip their shit and make it hard to confirm her.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr

I think that's it.

Kennedy and Cassidy also fit the bill. I don't know if our state has the governor appoint interim Senators odd the top of my head though. Kennedy feels like just enough of a weasel to be temptable, but I don't think you could offer him enough to actually do it.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr

I think that's it.

Kennedy and Cassidy also fit the bill. I don't know if our state has the governor appoint interim Senators odd the top of my head though. Kennedy feels like just enough of a weasel to be temptable, but I don't think you could offer him enough to actually do it.

Of those Louisiana and Wisconsin have a special election rule, the others would be governor appointed.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

That list:
    1) Toomey
    2) Johnson
    3) McConnell
    4) Collins
    5) Tillis
    6) Burr

I think that's it.

I think I speak for all of Wisconsin when I say, "Send Johnson literally anywhere. Fuck that guy right in the eye."

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I would actually love to not have ever heard of a single one of these people because they’re all competent private sector technocrats and not politicians

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    As a non-American can someone explain why you would appoint someone from outside your party?

I mean, in Parliamentary systems sometimes you would do this if you had a minority or coalition government but I don’t understand it in the US context.

Please don’t tell me it’s in the name of some bullshit norms about being bi-partisan or something.

:so_raven: