As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    That's just providing an incentive to be a child

They'll never age now

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty

They'll never age now

I've been trying to not age for over 20 years, I didn't need the financial incentive.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    klemming wrote: »

They'll never age now

I've been trying to not age for over 20 years, I didn't need the financial incentive.

I remember being invincible in my 20s. Now I can't sit down without going "ooooph!"!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    Must have been spooked by the recent polls, which were entirely predictable, cos you don't need to be Charles Dickens to know that starving children is unpopular.

Guess its just another sign of Johnson's cabinet being a bunch of inexperienced and incompetent psychos high on their own farts.

So shitty
    It feels like anything that stays in the news after a week, they instantly climb down on. Rashford's been doing a good job at not just giving up and letting it go, so they were going to have to address it because every time they gave the stock "Oh, we're covering that with other things" he's fired back with examples of what they're not doing and keeping it in the news cycle.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    I wonder how much movement we'll see now that the US election is settled? Reports beforehand were that johnson was waiting for the result (and hoping that trump would win). With the myth of an easy US trade deal dead and buried, we may see a move towards some sort of hasty deal rather than ploughing ahead with a no-deal exit.

Generally I'm keen to see if a US administration expected to be much more hostile to johnson and brexit will have any real influnce on things this late. Unfortunately they don't actually get into position until after the crash out date anyway.

So shitty
    Hopefully it will encourage them to maybe not break international law as much as they were planning to.
    Which might make an EU deal marginally less incredibly unlikely to be worked out.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    It feels like anything that stays in the news after a week, they instantly climb down on.

I'm unsure if that's a fair interpretation of the timeline. Investment in local services instead of vouchers and moving the system from schools to local programmes has been public Government policy for at least two weeks.

Honestly, the tories introducing these vouchers instead of going straight for local programmes has caused them a huge amount of grief. I do worry the wrong lessons are going to be learned from this.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Haven't seen this getting much coverage

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/japan-trade-deal-punches-usa-sized-hole-in-privacy/

tl;dr: the UK-Japan trade deal appears to accept lower standards of data protection than currently in place, including granting Japanese companies processing data on UK citizens a blanket permission to transfer that data to other jurisdictions without any requirements as to the adequacy of their data protection arrangements

The immediately material point would be that, if this is correct, it would make obtaining a data adequacy agreement with the EU (which is a big deal for a lot of UK businesses) impossible, because the UK would have already tied itself into a commitment to lower standards

japan on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Haven't seen this getting much coverage

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/japan-trade-deal-punches-usa-sized-hole-in-privacy/

tl;dr: the UK-Japan trade deal appears to accept lower standards of data protection than currently in place, including granting Japanese companies processing data on UK citizens a blanket permission to transfer that data to other jurisdictions without any requirements as to the adequacy of their data protection arrangements

The immediately material point would be that, if this is correct, it would make obtaining a data adequacy agreement with the EU (which is a big deal for a lot of UK businesses) impossible, because the UK would have already tied itself into a commitment to lower standards

I'm friends with a lawyer who has been advising (or trying) companies regarding data protection / GDPR, and the tl:dr is in line with many of the things this government does. I.e. they assumed it would just carry on as normal with the EU once Brexit happens, despite there being a whole range of things the UK would have to do, to carry on sharing data with the EU.

PSN Fleety2009
    So shitty
    John Major: Brexit set to be 'more brutal than anyone expected'
    It's probably considered bad form for a former PM to dunk on the current PM, but:
    Brexit may be "even more brutal than expected" due to the UK's negotiating "failures", Sir John Major has said.

In a speech in London, the ex-prime minister said the UK's "inflexibility" and "threats" towards the EU would make future trade "less profitable".

And he warned of the "corrosive" impact to the UK's reputation of a proposed law giving ministers the power to over-ride aspects of the Brexit Agreement.

The UK has said it is hopeful of securing a comprehensive deal modelled on the EU's arrangement with Canada, but Sir John said it was "disingenuous" of ministers to pretend they were not seeking far deeper commitments in key areas, such as energy and aviation.

He said he feared, as a result, the process would end up either with no deal or a "flimsy and bare-bones" agreement that created new barriers to trade and would be a "wretched betrayal" of the promises made to British voters during the 2016 referendum.

"These costs and complexities are the certain legacy of Brexit," he said. "This is as a result of our negotiating failure - and it is a failure.

"Because of our bombast, our blustering, our threats and our inflexibility - our trade will be less profitable, our Treasury poorer, our jobs fewer, and our future less prosperous."

He added: "It now seems that on 1 January next year, Brexit may be even more brutal than anyone expected."

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome

bbc pol editor

lords complaining about market bill so back to commons

obF2Wuw.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I mean, it's been expected to be pretty damn brutal, at least by everyone outside the uk...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I mean, it's been expected to be pretty damn brutal, at least by everyone outside the uk...

and many within the UK, but they're all Project Fear, of course.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    how bullheaded is Johnson likely to be about it next week

I feel like the default answer is always "going to try their luck again, because why not, it's certainly worked until now"

aRkpc.gif
    So shitty
    "Boris, why don't you try to come up with a law that obeys the law?"
    "That's impossible and you know it."

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

source appears to be twitter rando but multiple folks on the internet seem to be able to extract the same from the PM's twitter image

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Claire Fox managed to speak in defence of the government breaking international law in the Lords last night and then vote to strip out the amendments that allow them to do that. She couldn't get the hang of how to vote, apparently.

Some real geniuses this government have put into the second chamber.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

source appears to be twitter rando but multiple folks on the internet seem to be able to extract the same from the PM's twitter image

...What the fuck? You don't have Carbon Paper text programs. How the fuck would you do this? Why?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This government is, at heart, plain fucking stupid.

It's like they hid text for SEO purposes

But in an image...

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Or maybe to stroke trump's ego and help the conspiracy theories

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    It's weird that Pence isn't hidden in there as well

Maybe they forgot he existed

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you take the image and do it yourself with a much bigger image, it looks like "Trump on" right above "Biden on". Which means I'll bet they had a "Congratulation to Donald Trump on his..." jpg already set up, and then just repurposed it to make this one. ...How and why, I have no earthly idea, because I would just make a brand new jpg with MS paint. But nobody ever said IT workers were smart, much less government IT workers.

About the worst you can say is that they clearly assumed Trump would win and just made the one message.

To be completely honest, I'm more concerned about the nutjob who's inverting the colours and shit on various pictures looking for this stuff. The original image doesn't even have anything off looking about it. So what the hell are you even doing in the first place? :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Why is it a jpg anyway. A png file in 2 colors is also tiny, and would have 0 artifacting and scale.
    (I know the answer, whoever made this doesn't know any of this)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Why is it a jpg anyway. A png file in 2 colors is also tiny, and would have 0 artifacting and scale.
    (I know the answer, whoever made this doesn't know any of this)

I used to work with a guy who each month recieved a list in Excel and needed to count a subset of this list.

His process was:
    Put a filter on the list
    Delete everything he didn't need to count
    Then delete the rows that previously held the things he didn't need to count (first delete was a delete contents)
    Then unfilter and count the subset he needed

Never underestimate the ability of people to find literally the worst way possible of doing something

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    It's weird that Pence isn't hidden in there as well

Maybe they forgot he existed

It's kinda bizarre this mistake exists at all, the part about Harris is so obviously custom crafted for her and wouldn't make sense as a name swap for a Pence version. Someone literally just decided to stencil Trumps name into a custom made graphic. As to why your guess is as good as mine but it seems unlikely to be an accident.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Boris came to power with the crazier fringe of the Tory party, there's been a lot of overlap between them and the online international right, Steve Bannon coming over shortly after Trump's election to link up with European far-right groups, the 'plandemic' etc.

Expect this has come out from one of them working in number 10's media department.

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

It's kinda bizarre this mistake exists at all, the part about Harris is so obviously custom crafted for her and wouldn't make sense as a name swap for a Pence version. Someone literally just decided to stencil Trumps name into a custom made graphic. As to why your guess is as good as mine but it seems unlikely to be an accident.

I think it's the other way round - they pasted over the Trump stuff with the Biden/Harris message.

The interesting thing for me is the difference in font size - they clearly had a much longer message for Trump/Pence, hence the smaller font they originally used?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

I think it's the other way round - they pasted over the Trump stuff with the Biden/Harris message.

The interesting thing for me is the difference in font size - they clearly had a much longer message for Trump/Pence, hence the smaller font they originally used?

Because that would have been sincere, this one was figuratively growled out through gritted teeth.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I wonder if it's some kind of tracked changes thing showing the deletion, which shows up weirdly on export

I know Word does that with things it compiles into graphics when exporting to pdf, but that doesn't look like Word markup

japan on
    So shitty
    Can anyone find the message they sent out when Trump won five hundred years ago in 2016?
    My guess is they just used the old graphic and edited as needed.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/09/theresa-may-congratulates-us-election-win

May wrote a personal letter congratulating Trump on his election. Can't find a tweet though, my Google-fu is weak.

Jazz on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So awesome
    japan wrote: »
    I wonder if it's some kind of tracked changes thing showing the deletion, which shows up weirdly on export

I know Word does that with things it compiles into graphics when exporting to pdf, but that doesn't look like Word markup

This would be my guess, but the graphic was then made from a screenshot of the document and liberal use of the paintbucket tool in paint.

So shitty
    Oh it's okay, it was a technical error:
    The government has blamed a "technical error" for a Boris Johnson tweet congratulating Joe Biden on his US election victory which faintly showed the name "Trump" in the background.

Social media users commented on the discrepancy while the Guido Fawkes website said the message also included the word "second term" buried in it.

Officials said two messages were prepared before the result was known.

The alternative one had been "embedded" in the other by mistake, they said.
    How the hell do you 'accidentally' embed one image in another? That's not how images work! You make two images, then upload the one you have to use!

• Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    How the hell do you 'accidentally' embed one image in another? That's not how images work! You make two images, then upload the one you have to use!

I'd love to know that myself!

Different layers for the two messages in e.g. Photoshop, and they just made one transparent and exported it? Any graphic designers like to weigh in? Incredible stuff.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

I'd love to know that myself!

Different layers for the two messages in e.g. Photoshop, and they just made one transparent and exported it? Any graphic designers like to weigh in? Incredible stuff.

About the only way it would make sense is using one layered file, and being a little incompetent in how you hide the irrelevant layers for export.

Like instead of "hide layer, done" you ... change the color of the text to black? Job done, boss. Oh wait, but artifacting...

OrokosPA.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    My guess: the Trump congratulations text was ready to go, designer used an eraser tool that wasn't set at maximum opacity to get rid of it, wrote the Biden text over the top. Voila, mystery Trump artefact left in the background.

Also slightly worried that Biden and Harris already seemed furious at Johnson, and this seemingly minor gaffe will just exacerbate that.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The level of incompetence required to make that happen by accident is so high that honestly I wouldn't even know how to guess it happened.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The non-max opacity brush seems very likely to me. Poorly calibrated screen so they can't see minor differences in colours, not knowing how to set the eraser tool to use a background colour so instead using a brush to erase text, and not knowing how to grab a transparent collection with the transparency set as a particular colour are all basic "I don't know what tools the programme has but I just do what works" signifiers that would lead to this.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.