As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Torchlight 3] Out now on Steam!

124»

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I played a bit I think when EA started but it def didn’t seem as good as TL2. Hopefully mods will come out for this one as well.

I’ll wait a little longer before starting it back up, but at least they are making some good changes.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    After Diablo 3, any game like it that doesn't let me respec at-will can go right in the garbage, IMO

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Isn't Diablo 3 still the odd one out here? How many Diablo clones allow easy respecs?

Diablo is the only one that figured it out, yes.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Isn't Diablo 3 still the odd one out here? How many Diablo clones allow easy respecs?

Ya, my impression is that Path of Exile and Grim Dawn both made a big deal about making it hard for players to respec. Something about feeling ownership in your characters, I think. But I'm pretty sure I'm one of the filthy casuals who's ruining it for all the real gamers, so I don't want anything to do with this hill they all want to die on.

That is absolutely not the case with Grim Dawn. The only things you can't respec are your character class choices. You can respec your skill points for a pittance (50-200 iron bits when you should have close to a million at max level) and devotions require a common crafting drop (which I have several hundred of in my account stash). It's not as free-style as D3 but does encourage experimentation, particularly at lower levels when you get an interesting drop that works well with skills you may not have invested in.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Ya, my impression is that Path of Exile and Grim Dawn both made a big deal about making it hard for players to respec. Something about feeling ownership in your characters, I think. But I'm pretty sure I'm one of the filthy casuals who's ruining it for all the real gamers, so I don't want anything to do with this hill they all want to die on.

That is absolutely not the case with Grim Dawn. The only things you can't respec are your character class choices. You can respec your skill points for a pittance (50-200 iron bits when you should have close to a million at max level) and devotions require a common crafting drop (which I have several hundred of in my account stash). It's not as free-style as D3 but does encourage experimentation, particularly at lower levels when you get an interesting drop that works well with skills you may not have invested in.

Part of the class choices are the subclasses, so you're not likely to just have a character of each combination, the way you'd have a barbarian, a wizard, a monk, etc., saved. And my recollection is that the cost to respec skill points escalated for some reason.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Part of the class choices are the subclasses, so you're not likely to just have a character of each combination, the way you'd have a barbarian, a wizard, a monk, etc., saved. And my recollection is that the cost to respec skill points escalated for some reason.

....I have 23 characters in Grim Dawn. Most are probably between level 25 and 50 but I have a couple that are 70+. There are 45 total class combinations, so I don't have *all* of them but some of the class combinations don't really synergize well so unless you have a specific build in mind or are looking for a challenge they probably aren't worth rolling. Also I forgot that the expansions have added potions you can buy from vendors that will fully reset all your skillpoints, stat points, and devotion points. So a full character point reset is probably cheaper and significantly less clicking to do than ever before. The respec cost does escalate but it caps out so it's still trivial to do.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I played like two hours of this last night for Extra Life, probably about 10 or so minutes past the window for a steam refund. Which is unfortunate, because this game is either incredibly buggy or otherwise wildly mediocre in really disappointing ways. I was playing as a conductor dude because they seemed cool, and twice in two hours my train just disappeared (the track was still being laid behind me, but no train/train attacks no matter what I did) that required leaving the game and coming back. Damage numbers were either broken or inconsistently displayed. Loot periodically failed to light up when I held alt to show it. Just like, fundamental stuff for this genre. Just...bad.

That’s before you even get into just the general game design/quality issues. Just a huge disappointment all around after loving torchlight 2.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I'm sure we were all waiting for it. Probably dreading it. But here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5O325MHKg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mm.

I miss Wildstar.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I guess here's some reading if you want context because I had heard nothing about this before, and the trailer explains nothing.

"Single Player free-to-play" is a huge red flag though. Only multiplayer games benefit from truly free players.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    That trailer is awful on details. Rahkeesh's link says "powerful skills, no cooldowns" which leads me to believe there's something hinky going on.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I guess here's some reading if you want context because I had heard nothing about this before, and the trailer explains nothing.

"Single Player free-to-play" is a huge red flag though. Only multiplayer games benefit from truly free players.

It is single player F2P because it is a mobile game.

The Torchlight IP has had a rough go of it. None of the original Devs are working on it anymore. The original Studio folded and the new one that took up the mantle and was made from a handful of people who stayed on is also gone now. Well, not gone, but they no longer have the Torchlight IP anymore. Perfect World owns it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.