As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So the hum/buzz is still there when I first turn the headphones on and now its auto shutting off after ~15 minutes of being on even when its being used. It turned off twice during a call today like it had been idle for too long.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yay headphones finally shipped.

DHL thankfully as well, they are one of the better shippers here.

edited November 2020
    Got my Drop Pandas, played around with them for a while this morning. Caveat - I am not an audiophile and don't pretend to be:
    1. General feel - really premium build quality. Cups are nice and at least for me, the clamping force on the head is pretty minimal. I'll be wearing them for a few hours for a D&D game later tonight so we'll see how that goes.
    2. PC to 3.5mm - sounds good? bass is a little low, but that flows with the sound profile charts they've put up. I'll have to play around with equalizer settings in Windows maybe. The boom mic appears to have pretty good audio quality but that's only my own estimation in doing voice tests on my end, I'll be curious how my gaming group feels about it tonight. (follow up on boom mic - it's fine and intelligible, but since it's omnidirectional it makes you sound like you're shouting in a room rather than next to the mic. I'll probably replace this with something else)
    3. PC to bluetooth - sounds nearly the same if better. real good mids and highs and obviously lower bass. again, probably need to play with equalizer settings
    4. Phone to bluetooth (music) - same as above, maybe better because it's using a better codex than PC AFAIK. DIdn't muss with equalizer settings in my mp3 app
    5. Phone to bluetooth (call) I used them to take a phone call which sounded great actually. Person on the other end said I sounded good as well; I couldn't get the onboard mics to play nice with Windows 10 BT so that's good to know. I noticed a really annoying buzz in the left earcup during the call, but it seemed to go away during normal usage... or it's just borderline there when no audio is coming out, maybe. Guh. I didn't notice it until the call and not at all during my first music tests, (I had turned off the headset in between tests and the call) and/or it was certainly way more pronounced during it.

@emp123 you said a hard reset cleared it up for you? Did you end up RMAing or was that that?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, the issues would return after a couple hours. Resetting would fix it again, but 1) I dont want to have to repair the headphones every day and 2) these are $400 headphones, I dont think I'm asking too much

I was kinda sad to do it since issues aside they're great headphones, I'm really hoping my next pair are my last hahaha.

Drop support was super responsive too so I really have nothing but good things to say QC issue aside.

emp123 on
    emp123 wrote: »
    Yeah, the issues would return after a couple hours. Resetting would fix it again, but 1) I dont want to have to repair the headphones every day and 2) these are $400 headphones, I dont think I'm asking too much

I was kinda sad to do it since issues aside they're great headphones, I'm really hoping my next pair are my last hahaha.

Drop support was super responsive too so I really have nothing but good things to say QC issue aside.

That's so weird that a reset fixes it but only temporarily. Did they say what the issue was?

Naphtali wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

That's so weird that a reset fixes it but only temporarily. Did they say what the issue was?

They didnt, but there's some speculation that its related to the bluetooth. Would explain why it would randomly disconnect at time (at first it seemed like it was shutting off randomly, then after the first reset it started shutting off after about 15-20 minutes) and the buzz only showed up over bluetooth. And even then the buzz was only there, noticeably anyway, when connected to my PC.

edited November 2020
    So headphones are in, def a big improvement over the Arctis 7’s I use for games and music.

Only tested on iPhone, will do PC tests tonight.

Question about the hiss sound, is it all the time when connected via Bluetooth or just when music was playing? I thought maybe I heard it during one track but it was an older song so just assumes it was static on the track.

One other thing, iTunes seems to be fairly high quality music, will going to true lossless files make a big diff on these cans?

Dixon on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I don't hear a hiss with mine for anything.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    edited November 2020
    If you happen to have Apple Music, could you test The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel. Newer stuff I don’t hear at all.

Later tonight I’ll test again from another source.

It’s only above a certain volume, kinda lines like a bit of white noise.

Dixon on
    edited November 2020
    Dixon wrote: »
    If you happen to have Apple Music, could you test The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel. Newer stuff I don’t hear at all.

Later tonight I’ll test again from another source.

It’s only above a certain volume, kinda lines like a bit of white noise.

EDIT:

Nvm I guess I just always attributed it to crappy headphones. Tape Hiss is kind of annoying but I guess purists like it as it means no touching up has been done?

Crazy folk

Actual edit: my bad for the double

Dixon on
    I heard the hiss/buzz when nothing was playing. Some people say it goes away after 30 seconds, but it didnt on mine.

Drop said they should be shipping the replacement set in a couple of days so thats cool.

Yeah, it's a slight electrical "buzz/hiss" noise I can hear on bluetooth out of the left earcup. It's less noticeable while you have stuff playing musically, but during voice chat or phone calls it's present and annoying. It was really loud on the one phone call I tried, like it was getting picked up by the mic and rebroadcast back into the sound channel.

In my own troubleshooting having one or more BT things attempting to connect to it or not makes no difference (I have my phone and PC paired to it, even with one or the other's BT stack turned off the noise is still there.

Hard reset doesn't seem to clear it up, like emp's experience.

There's no hiss on 3.5mm or USB-C.

edited November 2020
    Okay yeah, I don't get any hiss then, it just seems to be the older tracks have it from the recording.

I've got it hooked up to my computer, but something weird. It detects as two audio devices which is okay. 1st is the Panda Stereo Device, 2nd is the Panda Hands-Free Device.

What's weird is if I run Discord or a game with built in voice chat, it activates the 2nd device and the 1st device stops putting out audio. It seems to be the headset doing this though, not Windows, Windows still has the 1st device as the default but there is no audio. If I change it in windows to the 2nd device I get audio now, albeit with the reduced quality.

I guess over Bluetooth I can't use the good audio quality (1st) and have the mic (2nd) activated at the same time. It's not a windows issue either, as I have done this with another headset. Seems the headset switches itself, that kinda sucks for gaming.

Dixon on
    That's just bluetooth in and of itself on PC, it just doesn't work well for audio and comms (or if you do get it working, it's all mono). Even connected to USB-C, it doesn't seem to be able to access the built in mic(s) on PC. At least for me.

My general plan now is to get an Antlion ModMic and use that on PC with the Pandas, but first I guess I need to start a case with Drop support.

It's weird I have another BT headset though, and even with the mic feed coming in, it doesn't kill the main audio device. It seems like the headset doing the cutover when it sees input coming in on that part of the headset. Yeah decided to go a standalone mic as well.

Playing with Peace equalizer a bit, saw some sound engineer on Reddit puts profiles up and there is one for the Panda. Turned out quite nice as well.

Reddit Link

I just CTRL + F then search drop and there are 2 profiles listed, I preferred the review model.

Got my RMA authorization, that was pretty fast. Hopefully a replacement comes about as equally soon. I did like the Pandas, except for the buzzing. Now that I'm back on my old Plantronics headset I'm really noticing the differences in the sound between the two.

I mailed my headphones back last Monday and received shipping notices from Drop and Fedex yesterday so the turnaround is pretty quick. No scheduled delivery date though...

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hi thread, I'm looking for a Christmas present for my wife. Might be a tall order, but if anyone knows, you folks would. She's a side sleeper and loves to listen to sleep stories and podcasts to sleep, but I want to get her a nice set of wireless IEM style headphones. You know what looks great? The Bose Sleepbud II. You know what SUCKS? "Sleepbuds™ play content only from the Bose Sleep app." What the fuck is that shit...

Do you guys know of any low profile earbuds to leave in while sleeping for someone who does not care about audio quality?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    edited November 2020
    I don’t really know any great IEM’s, I just wanted to say that is super shitty of Bose to put that restriction in.

Nice catching that before being stuck with them.

Dixon on
    edited November 2020
    These seem to have really good reviews: https://dubslabs.com/ I'm not sure how I feel about the wires. Both myself and my GF toss a lot and I could see them getting caught and pulling the earpods out.

We tried one of the headband types you see on amazon and it was a mixed bag. The model we got had hard earbuds in the headband, so the pro is that there are no wires dangling around but the con is that it could be uncomfortable. Of course, they were knockoffs so maybe that's why. Might be worth trying the AcousticSheep original version.

Trajan45 on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I'm looking for new headphones that can serve a few uses, if possible. They would be for the following:
    1. PC Music
    2. PC Gaming
    3. Xbox Gaming
    4. PS Gaming

PC Music is their primary use, but I would love it if they also can serve the other functions (so I don't require a mic, but it is a bonus). Would need to be wired as my PC does not have bluetooth (Audio is through a Sound Blaster Z headphone jack). Don't care about noise cancelling as I'm not in a loud environment. Comfort is a high priority as I have sinus issues so the pressure from OTH headphones causes slight headaches. Budget would be <$200.

96058.png?1619393207
    Bullhead wrote: »
    I'm looking for new headphones that can serve a few uses, if possible. They would be for the following:
    1. PC Music
    2. PC Gaming
    3. Xbox Gaming
    4. PS Gaming

PC Music is their primary use, but I would love it if they also can serve the other functions (so I don't require a mic, but it is a bonus). Would need to be wired as my PC does not have bluetooth (Audio is through a Sound Blaster Z headphone jack). Don't care about noise cancelling as I'm not in a loud environment. Comfort is a high priority as I have sinus issues so the pressure from OTH headphones causes slight headaches. Budget would be <$200.

Do you want sound isolation? or do you want a bigger sound stage? Do like lots of bass? or accuracy and good high's/vocals?

edited November 2020
    HyperX Cloud II might be what you're looking for, although people are hit or miss on the virtual 7.1 surround stuff you don't have to use it as it supports 3.5mm and USB (PC only).

Naphtali on
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    1. PC Music
    2. PC Gaming
    3. Xbox Gaming
    4. PS Gaming

Do you want sound isolation? or do you want a bigger sound stage? Do like lots of bass? or accuracy and good high's/vocals?

sound isolation is not needed. Not 100% sure what you'd mean by bigger sound stage. Yes bass is good (but like I don't need massive bass). Music tastes are generally various flavors of rock (Classic, grunge, metal, etc).

96058.png?1619393207
    HyperX Cloud II might be what you're looking for, although people are hit or miss on the virtual 7.1 surround stuff you don't have to use it as it supports 3.5mm and USB (PC only).

Those do look solid!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1. PC Music
    2. PC Gaming
    3. Xbox Gaming
    4. PS Gaming

sound isolation is not needed. Not 100% sure what you'd mean by bigger sound stage.
    The difference is between Open Back and Closed Back Headphones, for that. Sound Isolation and Sound Stage are generally (not 1:1 correlation) in opposition to each other, because Closed Back gives you better Sound Isolation (it's all closed off around your ears, blocking sound from getting in from the outside) and Open Back gives you a better sound stage (sound leaks in from outside, but you can hear placement of Stereo sounds better). In my head/hearing, Bigger Sound Stage headphones allow me to hear the Delay and Reverb effects better and sounds with Saturation filters sound better (nearly all vocals in pop and rock have these three effects applied to them), but everyone hears it slightly differently. You might actually notice a difference with what your music sounds like if you listen to Open Back vs. Closed Back (or Semi-Open Back). Or you might not.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    1. PC Music
    2. PC Gaming
    3. Xbox Gaming
    4. PS Gaming

sound isolation is not needed. Not 100% sure what you'd mean by bigger sound stage.
    The difference is between Open Back and Closed Back Headphones, for that. Sound Isolation and Sound Stage are generally (not 1:1 correlation) in opposition to each other, because Closed Back gives you better Sound Isolation (it's all closed off around your ears, blocking sound from getting in from the outside) and Open Back gives you a better sound stage (sound leaks in from outside, but you can hear placement of Stereo sounds better). In my head/hearing, Bigger Sound Stage headphones allow me to hear the Delay and Reverb effects better and sounds with Saturation filters sound better (nearly all vocals in pop and rock have these three effects applied to them), but everyone hears it slightly differently. You might actually notice a difference with what your music sounds like if you listen to Open Back vs. Closed Back (or Semi-Open Back). Or you might not.

Interesting - not sure I've ever owned/used open backs. My current headphones (no mic) are Audio-Technica ATH-M50X's, but the one headpiece's llock is broken so they don't sit right and suck now. But prior to that they sounded good (though I'm sure better headphones would have been nice). I use my samsung pods for in-ear when I'm moving around (yardwork/exercise/etc).

96058.png?1619393207
    You're not going to see much difference under $200 than the M50's when it comes to closed backed headphones. The DT770's are supposed to be slightly better and more comfertable. For open backed, the DT990's and the Sennheiser HD 599 SE's are your options under $200.

Personally I'd just duct tape the M50's for now haha. When I wanted to jump from my M50's, I was looking into the under $500 range.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Hi thread, I'm looking for a Christmas present for my wife. Might be a tall order, but if anyone knows, you folks would. She's a side sleeper and loves to listen to sleep stories and podcasts to sleep, but I want to get her a nice set of wireless IEM style headphones. You know what looks great? The Bose Sleepbud II. You know what SUCKS? "Sleepbuds™ play content only from the Bose Sleep app." What the fuck is that shit...

Do you guys know of any low profile earbuds to leave in while sleeping for someone who does not care about audio quality?

So I was actually looking into those things; they only play the limited content 'cause they basically have zero connectivity except that needed for the app to change settings. They're tiny compared to a normal wireless bud, and aren't meant to be actual earbuds/IEMs, just noise blockers/maskers. (No ANC though, just passive + white noise.)

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So after wearing the Pandas for almost 24 hours on Saturday, my head hurts. I'm actually going back to my Sennheiser 598s as my PC headphones for now for a few reasons:
    • My Pandas keep disconnecting from my machine via the USB wired connection. I've contacted support about it, and the best they can give me is that I need to hard reset the headphones. However, I tried that and the issue keeps happening every 20-30 minutes or so intermittently. Since the device is being lost completely from my sound devices on my machine, it lags out whatever game I'm playing or video I'm watching. Then if the game isn't programmed well, I just lose sound until I reset my game. Super annoying and random issue, hasn't happened yet with Bluetooth as far as I can tell.
    • The clamp pressure is too high. This could just be because I wore them for so long in a single sitting, but my head really hurts after wearing them for that long.
    • The noise cancellation is too good lol. This isn't really a con, but in my current situation where I want to be able to hear my partner and talk to her while we work remotely due to COVID, I can't have the headphone cups over both of my ears. So I end up wearing one on/one off more often than not, which isn't comfortable either.
    • Bass. Common complaint, and really my only complaint related to sound is that the bass is lacking and I'm too lazy to look for a full PC equalizer or sound effect to really fix it.

They're great cans, but I think for my current situation, going back to my 598s is just a more comfortable at the moment. I still plan to use my Pandas for my cell phone or when I'm doing other stuff around the house and not at my PC. Will probably use them for my PS5 if/when I get one, and if they work.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited November 2020
    Understandable. The clamp force is pretty strong, but it's sort of needed for when I have them paired with my cell phone and i'm doing chores. I increased the notch once to relieve some pressure on my head and they almost fell into the toilet haha. I also keep one cup slightly off my left ear for the exact same reason, I need to be able to hear if my SO is talking to me. There have been some tense game moments with both cups on, where she'll walk in and touch me, and I spaz out lol.

For PC, I've just been using 3.5 mm with a soundblaster and they've been great so far. Of course I only game for 2-3 hours max, so that could be why. I also have Dekoni nubs that help a ton with the rubbing of the top band.

Hopefully over the next year or 2, once the initial orders have been sent out and issues solved, they'll go back and work on the firmware, the DSP app, and other things they mentioned.

Trajan45 on
    Yeah I wear the top band a bit forward and for some reason it negates the clamp pressure I was feeling.

My buddy got me back into WoW and played quite a bit yesterday, was much more comfortable.

I found the base quite lacking as well, it’s very very clear but I wanted more punch. I ended up using Peace + APO and a link I posted earlier in the thread and now have the base at a much nicer level.

Interesting you mentioned the USB issue though, I tried once to connect by USB but it wouldn’t see the headphones. It’s with a USB A to USB C cable that is quite long though.

Playing through BT has been no issue, I just don’t like that I can’t use the mic at the same time.

edited November 2020
    Yeah I wear the top band a bit forward and for some reason it negates the clamp pressure I was feeling.

My buddy got me back into WoW and played quite a bit yesterday, was much more comfortable.

I found the base quite lacking as well, it’s very very clear but I wanted more punch. I ended up using Peace + APO and a link I posted earlier in the thread and now have the base at a much nicer level.

Interesting you mentioned the USB issue though, I tried once to connect by USB but it wouldn’t see the headphones. It’s with a USB A to USB C cable that is quite long though.

Playing through BT has been no issue, I just don’t like that I can’t use the mic at the same time.

I'd guess it's going to need a USB C to C 3.1 data cable for the audio to work over USB, like the cable it comes with.

What did you modify in Windows exactly to go with those equalizer levels Dixon? (edit, this I'm assuming)

Naphtali on
    Yeah I'm surprised it took ModMic so long to get a BT mic on the market.

Yeah I'm surprised it took ModMic so long to get a BT mic on the market.

You mean ModMic Wireless? They're using their own standalone chip & processing to make it work. The normal bluetooth stack sucks for audio + voice from the same device at the same time, so they're cheating/getting around that limitation by making a voice only device.

I'd guess it's going to need a USB C to C 3.1 data cable for the audio to work over USB, like the cable it comes with.

What did you modify in Windows exactly to go with those equalizer levels Dixon? (edit, this I'm assuming)

Yeah that’s what I was wondering, kind of sucks as the included cable is much too short for where I sit.

I installed Equalizer APO, which seems to be some driver level change, then installed that Peace front end software.

Peace provides the controls, but I didn’t really know what to change.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

This reddit user does a master list of tons of headphones and tunes them to some Hardon Karmon standard. He has two different templates listed for Drop Panda, I did the review copy.

I added a bit more on the lower frequency bars afterwards, till I got a base and warmth I enjoyed, but it wasn’t much.

Yay, replacement Pandas shipped. Here's hoping...

Replacement headphones came yesterday and I'm just breaking them out now but no hum/buzz so consider me stoked. Its yet to lose connection as well so it looks like all my complaints were resolved. I hope they can get their QC under control because the internet can be brutal and these are pretty good headphones.

I've basically just been listening to music via Youtube so its not like I've done anything rigorous with them, but I'm satisfied.

My replacements have a buzz in the left earcup with bluetooth as well. Are you kidding me...

No joy on the hardware reset either. I guess I'll just try to break them in over the weekend and see if that helps, but... fuck.