As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Belated [chat] macabre

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don’t mind Vee’s slightly domineering, lengthy rules explanations. But I very much love giggling while watching her lose her temper at others ignoring the explanation.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    chanus is that your tower of beef

man i wish

I thought I would check before commenting that it does not look appetising

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    New players: *fuck around and shoot the shit with other players while I'm explaining the rules*
    Also new players: "Wait, that's how it works? You never said that!!"
    Me, grimacing: "I very much did, twice in fact..."

Me: Hey get here about an hour to half hour early to roll up your D&D characters. It's going to take a little while.
    New Players: "Ok!"
    Narrator: "They did not."
    New Players: "Wow this is a lot of work!"
    Me: "..."

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    although that reminds me I am still an ep behind on gbbo but we watched the kawaii ep last night and a) it was very cute but b) I was not prepared for the heartbreak

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The worst board game experience, is "wait, I have ended up with [condition that should not occur]..." and then trying to work out if you can unwind it, or if you've fatally unbalanced the game if you try to play through

We just continue with play then. Suburbia is bad for this.

Generally you get 1 way back when if you forgot a rule on your go but the next person's turn has not advanced. Like you forgot you actually get a cube for x.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    This manor is so bly

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Steak Cake is fun, and all the elements look well prepared and are probably delicious.

Yet I am irrationally repulsed.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I love point salad cube grabber euro worker placements.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Steak Cake is fun, and all the elements look well prepared and are probably delicious.

i mean it's steak bacon and potatoes

but it's also unsettling in presentation

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm going back to the Stand up to Cancer Bake Off episodes

The Showstopper theme in this one is "Your Biggest Fear"

That seems weirdly dark for a baking show

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don’t mind Vee’s slightly domineering, lengthy rules explanations. But I very much love giggling while watching her lose her temper at others ignoring the explanation.

I have tried to tone that down in recent years due to...feedback...

But I still get very grumpy when people don't pay attention and then are all Pikachu shocked face when they fuck up the rules later.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

I think I'm mentally filing it with all those epic bacon youtube/instagram contrivances

• Options
    I do not want meat cake

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    okay

look

I know those pictures are probably meant as like "look at this food abomination"

but that looks delicious

Both are true.

• Options
    Love games with really boring euro themes too.

Fighting goblins? No thanks!

This game is about delivering shoes from your cobbler shop and putting more workers in different production lines in order to move this marker up the point track.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I'm going back to the Stand up to Cancer Bake Off episodes

The Showstopper theme in this one is "Your Biggest Fear"

That seems weirdly dark for a baking show

how do i make mice eating my penis into a savory pie

• Options

But I still get very grumpy when people don't pay attention and then are all Pikachu shocked face when they fuck up the rules later.

I'm on your side, Vee

Sometimes people need to accept that they have to listen for five minutes before they can have fun

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

i will defend these people to the death

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I'm on your side, Vee

Sometimes people need to accept that they have to listen for five minutes before they can have fun

Strong proponent of playing the first game without all the rules understood, here

sig.gif
  • Options
    Cones of Dunshire is for me.

• Options
    That reminds me that Trashfuture has taken to referring to the Tesla Model S as "Elon Musk's epic bacon car" and it exactly encapsulates what I find so unappealing about Tesla as a company

• Options
    I intentionally ignore game rules so that I can use it as a set piece bring all attention on me

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    i2k5h6qysy5n.jpg

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm indifferent to that steak cake but there is a tinge of Le Epic Bacon

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

I'm on your side, Vee

Strong proponent of playing the first game without all the rules understood, here

*twitch*

I know you don't mean to hurt me...

• Options
    I’m not a huge fan of bacon. It’s...fine, I guess.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I am filing this away for next time I have friends over

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

I'm on your side, Vee

Some rules explanation is necessary, no matter how free-wheeling you're being about it.

And I don't have an issue with people who forget about certain rules or whatever. That's bound to happen.

It's the "you never said..." conversation that I loathe.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Cones of Dunshire is for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5fBO-Ua2rk

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Remember watching Epic Meal Time?

Don't lie to me and say you saw the cringe and deftly avoided it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

I think I'm in favor of this approach too, with the understanding that pretty much any time, the first time through can be fun but from a competitive pov will be bungled and mostly to build experience

• Options

I'm on your side, Vee

Some rules explanation is necessary, no matter how free-wheeling you're being about it.

And I don't have an issue with people who forget about certain rules or whatever. That's bound to happen.

It's the "you never said..." conversation that I loathe.

Yeah, being blamed for other people's inattentive attitudes is the worst

• Options
    kind of like our first time

*wistful sigh*

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

The hipster bacon obsession kind of ruined it for me, and I prefer to avoid pork products.

• Options
    Neco wrote: »

it has its uses

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Hands down the game I have had newbies play and enjoy the best is Betrayal at House on the Hill

The concept is clear and something everyone is familiar with, and when someone is an axe murderer and you have to do XYZ it makes sense!

Oddly hardcore board gamers don’t seem to like it because it’s not “balanced” which always struck me as an odd complaint. It’s essentially a haunted house / scary movie rpg with rails and guides built in, the balance is pretty secondary

• Options
    also the pax board game experience is very like that scene from schitts creek where david is like wtf these are the rules but the sister is like shots shots!

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Remember watching Epic Meal Time?

Don't lie to me and say you saw the cringe and deftly avoided it.

I remember being really gungho about it and then wondering why video after video produced an end product that looks so salty and greasy and unpleasant to eat and why was that. Was I perhaps... wrong about what makes foods good?!?!

Going back now it's scary

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i've never had a burger with bacon on it that wouldn't have been better without the bacon

• Options

I'm on your side, Vee

*twitch*

I know you don't mean to hurt me...

I can almost engage with someone who says "I would rather not play than play with people who don't understand the rules and fuck up regularly and don't mind when you correct them and respond to the correction with a new turn that has no fuckups"

as long as that person isn't permitted to explain the rules

There are two categories of rules explanations, short ones and long ones. If you do a long one with somebody who has played <5 board games newer than Dominion, you're making a tactical error. Long rules explanations are perfectly appropriate for established gaming groups. If there's even one new person then you should do a short rules explanation. You should explain some basic concepts and rules of thumb and then start the game without covering any edge case rules or complexities. If you don't know the rules well enough to pick which of them to leave out to a new player, don't play that game with a new player

There are exceptions to all of the above but not very many

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.