As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Belated [chat] macabre

1929394959698»

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So turns out that meeting really was just to dismiss me. The question I should've asked on Friday was "Is anything I say going to change the outcome?" which I think would be just obtuse enough someone might answer it without having technically me told me that, which would've saved some thinking over the weekend.

Basically there was definitely nothing I could do: this was locked in 2 weeks ago, and "sudden negative feedback" would've been to build a case I suppose. On the plus side I guess that's 2 more weeks of pay so it works out.

Though now looking at LinkedIn and the actual age of that team, my former manager who already left was only there are 1 year, 3 months, the guy who replaced him and dismissed me was only there for 9 months...hand on my heart, I'm betting there won't be a Sydney office on the outside of 2021.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don’t mind Vee’s slightly domineering, lengthy rules explanations. But I very much love giggling while watching her lose her temper at others ignoring the explanation.

I have tried to tone that down in recent years due to...feedback...

But I still get very grumpy when people don't pay attention and then are all Pikachu shocked face when they fuck up the rules later.

I'm on your side, Vee

Sometimes people need to accept that they have to listen for five minutes before they can have fun

Strong proponent of playing the first game without all the rules understood, here

Some rules explanation is necessary, no matter how free-wheeling you're being about it.

And I don't have an issue with people who forget about certain rules or whatever. That's bound to happen.

It's the "you never said..." conversation that I loathe.

this is unimpeachable

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    also the pax board game experience is very like that scene from schitts creek where david is like wtf these are the rules but the sister is like shots shots!

and you're trying really really hard to listen to the rules and be a good friend but you also really want shots...

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The closest thing I got was Binging With Babish during its more fanservice episodes but thankfully that quickly morphed into a more acceptable variety of internet pleasure food

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Dang, elm. I know you kind of saw this coming but that still sucks.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hands down the game I have had newbies play and enjoy the best is Betrayal at House on the Hill

The concept is clear and something everyone is familiar with, and when someone is an axe murderer and you have to do XYZ it makes sense!

Oddly hardcore board gamers don’t seem to like it because it’s not “balanced” which always struck me as an odd complaint. It’s essentially a haunted house / scary movie rpg with rails and guides built in, the balance is pretty secondary

The last three times in a row I played it, I got completely fucked over by single, unlikely dice rolls at the end, despite playing pretty well.

I wouldn't say I have an issue with the 'balance' so much as my personal experience with it has soured me on the game itself.

...though, most of the game up to those points was fun, so...*shrug*

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The closest thing I got was Binging With Babish during its more fanservice episodes but thankfully that quickly morphed into a more acceptable variety of internet pleasure food

Even there, usually the point was to show how absolutely monstrous the fan service version was, then dial it way back.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There's definitely a skill in knowing which game to introduce to a group

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Hands down the game I have had newbies play and enjoy the best is Betrayal at House on the Hill

The concept is clear and something everyone is familiar with, and when someone is an axe murderer and you have to do XYZ it makes sense!

Oddly hardcore board gamers don’t seem to like it because it’s not “balanced” which always struck me as an odd complaint. It’s essentially a haunted house / scary movie rpg with rails and guides built in, the balance is pretty secondary

I completely understand that but I don't want to do a haunted house rpg with rails and guides built in

That activity is fundamentally not a board game. Nothing you said is wrong but there are tons of people who try to pitch BaHotH to people who gathered to play a board game and are confused when there's resistance.

I got drunk when I first played it and somebody wanted to watch a rules video. We wandered around the map for a while until the haunt happened and then somebody was trapped on the other side of another player who became the evil monster. Before that somebody got a turn post-haunt, they were dead.

This would have been fine if both I and the dead person had wanted to play! But if you push past a lack of buy-in and insist it will be fun and then that's what happens, we get to bring up how awful that experience was for years afterward and you have to sit there and nod.

sig.gif
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    ceddy I am going to make that peanut pumpkin soup here shortly :3

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    What is Babish’s favorite search engine?
    IT’S GOOGLE! HAHAHAHA GOOGLE GET IT? AHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    What is Babish’s favorite search engine?
    IT’S GOOGLE! HAHAHAHA GOOGLE GET IT? AHAHAHAHAHA

actually it's AskJeeves

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    skippy i am jealous of your soup :3

sig.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    japan wrote: »
    Dang, elm. I know you kind of saw this coming but that still sucks.

It definitely wasn't a good fit, nor was the work really what I expected out of it upfront.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

And sometimes the winning move is not to play

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    71aiuesqxzl2.jpg
    4ohtg2fscc0b.jpg
    o72zfsrs36pc.jpg

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

And sometimes the winning move is not to play

some good avposting right here

sig.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

I completely understand that but I don't want to do a haunted house rpg with rails and guides built in

That activity is fundamentally not a board game. Nothing you said is wrong but there are tons of people who try to pitch BaHotH to people who gathered to play a board game and are confused when there's resistance.

I got drunk when I first played it and somebody wanted to watch a rules video. We wandered around the map for a while until the haunt happened and then somebody was trapped on the other side of another player who became the evil monster. Before that somebody got a turn post-haunt, they were dead.

This would have been fine if both I and the dead person had wanted to play! But if you push past a lack of buy-in and insist it will be fun and then that's what happens, we get to bring up how awful that experience was for years afterward and you have to sit there and nod.

That’s the horrible experience you come back to years later and laugh about?

Huh.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    ceddy I am going to make that peanut pumpkin soup here shortly :3

It’s good! Enjoy it!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i've had an ad for a TV show stuck in my head for ages now

Sky One ran a show called "How Gay Are You?" in the early 2000s where the theme song was YMCA and they changed one of the lyrics to "face cream, that's gayness in a jar!"

googling it shows they absolutely scrubbed it from existence and the only references to it i can find are other people wondering if it even existed at all

i've got a morbid curiosity about how bad it is

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    This show has ghosts and evil children I will continue watching

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don’t mind Vee’s slightly domineering, lengthy rules explanations. But I very much love giggling while watching her lose her temper at others ignoring the explanation.

I have tried to tone that down in recent years due to...feedback...

But I still get very grumpy when people don't pay attention and then are all Pikachu shocked face when they fuck up the rules later.

I'm on your side, Vee

Sometimes people need to accept that they have to listen for five minutes before they can have fun

Strong proponent of playing the first game without all the rules understood, here

*twitch*

I know you don't mean to hurt me...

I can almost engage with someone who says "I would rather not play than play with people who don't understand the rules and fuck up regularly and don't mind when you correct them and respond to the correction with a new turn that has no fuckups"

as long as that person isn't permitted to explain the rules

There are two categories of rules explanations, short ones and long ones. If you do a long one with somebody who has played <5 board games newer than Dominion, you're making a tactical error. Long rules explanations are perfectly appropriate for established gaming groups. If there's even one new person then you should do a short rules explanation. You should explain some basic concepts and rules of thumb and then start the game without covering any edge case rules or complexities. If you don't know the rules well enough to pick which of them to leave out to a new player, don't play that game with a new player

There are exceptions to all of the above but not very many

We do a short test game whenever we break out a new board game.

Just something where we go through a few turns and all talk about the individual actions etc before we reset and do a proper game.

It's just easier if everybody is engaged and going through the motions instead of everybody just sitting there while someone talks at you.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

That’s the horrible experience you come back to years later and laugh about?

Huh.

i mean we played a game we didn't want to and after more than an hour somebody was out without having had any meaningful decisions

no turn of theirs had any impact on who won, from start to finish of the game

maybe we would have dropped it if the Betrayal pitcher admitted maybe mistakes had been made

it certainly was no CitOW "ruined" or microwave "shut up" but you can't rival ceddy's finest moments without ceddy :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

I think it's kind of boring
    Like I am just not invested in winning because it's too much of a story game rather than a contest of wits, but the story isn't interesting either
    Everyone else I know thinks it's fun though

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Sky One ran a show called "How Gay Are You?" in the early 2000s where the theme song was YMCA and they changed one of the lyrics to "face cream, that's gayness in a jar!"

googling it shows they absolutely scrubbed it from existence and the only references to it i can find are other people wondering if it even existed at all

i feel like i've heard this story

i believe

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

i feel like i've heard this story

i believe

tbf i've probably posted about it before

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 0.8

@Tav will create the new thread
    @skippydumptruck is backup

This discussion has been closed.