As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to bet that the majority of QAnon adherents have never visited 8chan or wherever the Q posts occur. They're basing their faith in whatever they personally consider the message to be entirely on memes and posts on more mainstream social media sites. So even if the central "Q" got replaced or corrupted or whatever the new messages would have to filter through a lot of layers to get to the general Q-faithful.

Most people pick up this stuff through Q aggregators who play the role of posting the originals then providing commentary on what they really mean.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Yeah, whatever the fuck Q started out as has been co-opted and decentralized.

It's at the point where even if the original Q showed up with receipts and notarized contemporaneous notes that this is all a batshit story just to troll right wing lunatics, it would get ignored as just another false-flag and someone else would take up the mantle.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    So... with QAnon becoming more than just 'normal 4chan nonsense', are we witnessing the birth of a new religion without central leadership vs other recent religions like scientology? I suppose it makes sense that the internet could birth a protestant movement without having a strong starting point with a real leader or central figurehead's initial orthodoxy like would have been more or less required historically.

nah

Q is just bringing in people who used to believe in flat earth and will flock to something else after Biden wins and Trump's momentum slows down

Two problems though.
    1) Trump can't fail, he can only be failed.
    2) Unlike the Flat Earth stuff, QAnon gives you guaranteed pure evil to rail against that is going to get people pumped up in a way that the vague nefarious doings of the Flat Earth Cabal isn't.

It's not that Trump would fail per se, it's that momentum will slow down if he's no longer president. Q doesn't give people an actual target to rally against, outside the shadowy cabal of The Deep State and maybe the Clintons. Flat Earth had the exact same thing with antisemitism and I firmly believe that people will simply move onto the next thing when he's no longer in that position of power.

Not that it would happen on November 4th, but a gradual decline over a year or so before another boogeyman comes along.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If Trump loses, QAnon will decide it was part of his plan all along and that he'll assassinate Harris and Biden and replace them with synthoids on the 14th hour of the 88th day of the year

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    James Randi, magician and paranormal debunker has died. He was 92 and hasn't been particularly active for some years.

My favorite one of his debunks was during a talk on homeopathic medicine during which he attempted suicide by overdosing on homeopathic pills, he had no ill effects except some minor intestinal distress from the sheer volume of inert pill filler material he swallowed.

Hevach on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That one was actually a little risky- every so often they fuck up the mix and include a big dose of the non-filler material. Like the "homopathic" childrens drops a while back that had a significant concentration of nightshade in them..

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    James Randi, magician and paranormal debunker has died. He was 92 and hasn't been particularly active for some years.

My favorite one of his debunks was during a talk on homeopathic medicine during which he attempted suicide by overdosing on homeopathic pills, he had no ill effects except some minor intestinal distress from the sheer volume of inert pill filler material he swallowed.

I lost respect for Randi when he downplayed sexual assault and misogyny in the skeptic community (and his little portion in particular):
    But Shermer’s reputation really does precede him, and it predates the recent wave of attention given to sex crimes and sexual harassment. I reached the movement’s grand old man, 86-year-old James Randi, by telephone, at his house in Florida. Randi is no longer involved in his foundation’s daily operations, but he remains its chair, and he is a legend of the movement, famously not fooled by anybody. He seems not to be naïve about Shermer — although he’s not so troubled by him, either.

“Shermer has been a bad boy on occasion — I do know that,” Randi told me. “I have told him that if I get many more complaints from people I have reason to believe, that I am going to have to limit his attendance at the conference.

“His reply,” Randi continued, “is he had a bit too much to drink and he doesn’t remember. I don’t know — I’ve never been drunk in my life. It’s an unfortunate thing … I haven’t seen him doing that. But I get the word from people in the organization that he has to be under better control. If he had gotten violent, I’d have him out of there immediately. I’ve just heard that he misbehaved himself with the women, which I guess is what men do when they are drunk.”

(This was in response to allegations that Shermer had raped an employee of his organization at their annual meeting.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Sort of sad to hear he's passed.

In the last decade or so, he got very "get off my lawn" about stuff in a way that in part made me leave the skeptical community. Turns out its a bad idea to place your identity all in one basket like "gamer" or "skeptical community"! He was a pretty good cold reader/fake psychic, but I think that was just because its adjacent skills to being a magician.

But he regularly did the homeopathic sleeping medicine "trick". The thing is you have to find one that has no active ingredients(there are plenty of these).

steam_sig.png
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Sort of sad to hear he's passed.

In the last decade or so, he got very "get off my lawn" about stuff in a way that in part made me leave the skeptical community. Turns out its a bad idea to place your identity all in one basket like "gamer" or "skeptical community"! He was a pretty good cold reader/fake psychic, but I think that was just because its adjacent skills to being a magician.

But he regularly did the homeopathic sleeping medicine "trick". The thing is you have to find one that has no active ingredients(there are plenty of these).

But you still have to trust that the grifters actually put in the bottle what they said they did (water) and nothing else.

edited October 2020
    There was a specific and rather pricey brand he used for the stunt as I remember. He used it because it wasn't mass produced but a small bespoke operation of true beleivers and not just corporate grifters.

It was still quackery, but it was trustworthy quackery.

Hevach on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    There was a specific and rather pricey brand he used for the stunt as I remember. He used it because it wasn't mass produced but a small bespoke operation of true beleivers and not just corporate grifters.

It was still quackery, but it was trustworthy quackery.

Truly a statement for the current times.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I met James Randi when he was touring for the launch of An Honest Liar, the documentary about him. It's well worth watching, because it's one of those documentaries where real life steps in during filming to add an interesting bit of plot that the film makers weren't expecting when they started.

l6Fbxom.jpg

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I met James Randi when he was touring for the launch of An Honest Liar, the documentary about him. It's well worth watching, because it's one of those documentaries where real life steps in during filming to add an interesting bit of plot that the film makers weren't expecting when they started.

l6Fbxom.jpg

I liked that movie a fair bit. Sad, but not surprised, that a gay man would rate misogyny pretty low on his priorities. Skeptic doesn't mean unbiased.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I do like the (discredited) conspiracy that there's a stunt double for Melania, because there's photos of her smiling with Trump. And honestly, I can kinda see it. When she genuinely smiles, she looks a whole lot different than her neutral face, or her 'Public Smiles' that never reach her eyes.

I still don't feel sorry for her.

edited November 2020
    Ok, been a few days in the making here, and this is FAR from exhaustive but... Here's a BIG FUCKING ROUNDUP of conspiracy theories from the election. These are on both sides of the aisle but for... uh... REASONS one side definitely generated a lot more of them this time out:

Arizona
    "Sharpiegate" - poll workers in Maricopa County could tell who were Republicans and gave them sharpies so their votes would be invalid. Truth: Everyone got sharpies and NOT using them could cause your ballot to not read.

California
    9.7 million "lost" ballots. Complete unsourced bollocks but earned a Trump retweet.

Michigan
    The vertical line: One news feed on Wednesday morning showed an abrupt vertical jump of 128k ballots for Biden overnight. This was a data entry artifact - the count continued all night but this feed went to bed. Trump's votes got entered with correct time stamps, but for some reason Biden's didn't. So Trump had a nice diagonal upward slope while Biden had a flat line and then a vertical leap before resuming the slope it had the day before.

Video supposedly showing box of ballots being "snuck" into counting facility:
    Truth:
    Dude's camera equipment.

Minnesota
    "Ilhan Omar tells people to show up and vote illegally." Truth: Minnesota has day of/on site registration.

Nevada
    Ballots stolen in the mail, voters couldn't cast in-person: Trump campaign has trotted out several cases, most notable was an elderly blind woman named Jill Stokke. Their stories all fell apart very quickly.

Georgia
    Video from USA Today's live stream supposedly showing a counter crumpling up and throwing out a ballot. What is actually happening is unclear, but it was investigated and no ballot was destroyed.

40,000 rejected mail-in votes in Dekalb County: The rejected number was about 300 (most of which were fixed), originated from a Democrat candidate Gil Freeman who can't read columns on a chart.

Spalding County "lockdown" - claim that votes couldn't be cast was entirely fabricated, a counting machine was not working but all ballots were on paper and have since been voted. The county had good turnout and went expectedly red so all evidence is no damage was ultimately done.

Pennsylvania
    Ballot counters filling out ballots on live stream: The particular video was from a special table for damaged and unreadable ballots. An official examines the ballots (with an observer from each party able to weigh in), and a poll worker transcribes them carefully onto fresh ballots to be fed into the machine.

Poll worker bragging on twitter that he was throwing away Trump ballots: Don't feed the trolls, not only did the guy not work for the election he didn't even live in the same country as the election.

Multiple state theories
    States casting more ballots than voters: Numerous version of this one, however all compared past counts of registered voters (usually 2018 but sometimes as far back as 2000) to this year's votes cast. Registered voters is generally a year-over-year increase, and given enough years votes cast eventually exceed past registration, especially with very high new registration AND high turnout in 2020.

Dead voters:
    Many examples offered, specific one from Michigan is William Bradley, a supposedly 120 year old man still voting after dying in the 80's. Truth isn't quite clear yet, however the age is pulling from an unofficial source that defaults to 1900 if a date is incomplete or not parsed right, meaning there's an unusually large spike of people that are 120 years old despite almost none over 110.

Trump Specials
    Eric Trump shared a video supposedly of somebody live streaming the destruction of a stack of Trump ballots. The ballots lack the borders, marking areas, or barcodes that are all over real ballots and were easily determined to be sample ballots, freely printable by anyone with internet access.

Calling "Finders keepers" on electoral votes: Not how any of this works.

Trying That Shit in Court Bonus
    Versions of many of these have actually been brought before judges, who have collectively responded in this manner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Odh1KyLGg
    Spoiler alert: In the 2020 version the ghosts eat the plaintiffs.

Pennsylvania Courts
    "Trump observers barred from count room."
    The judge asked if the campaign had people in the room. "The number of people in the room is not zero." He reiterated, "I'm asking you as a member of the bar of this court: are people representing the Donald J Trump for President, representing the plaintiffs, in that room?" "Yes." "I'm sorry, then what is your problem?" The legalese translation of "asking you as a member of the bar of this court" is "Now listen here you little shit, stop playing this stupid game or you're going to win a stupid prize." Case dismissed without prejudice when the sides agreed to have 60 observers each. As a fun note, this meant the Trump campaign had to *remove* people.

Hevach on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Should we just temporarily repurpose this thread for posting debunks of the election conspiracy theories popping up every 30 minutes? Yes? Ok!

Claim: Glitch in software used in 42 Michigan counties caused 6000 Trump votes to be recorded as Biden votes in Antrim county (that we know of!!!!)

Source: Video of MI GOP Chairwoman making the above claim.

Facts: Isolated human error, not a software glitch. Last minute ballot change caused an offset in the count because they didn't tell the software about it. Was corrected days ago.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/elections/antrim-co-vote-count-problem-was-ballot-change-not-software/
    The Clerk’s Office has traced the cause of the original errors on the posted unofficial election results. Late in the election preparation process, a minor correction was made to a ballot that caused additional compounding changes to how the software totals and presented the data. The skewed unofficial results were a result of procedural misunderstanding that the Clerk’s Office had never before experienced. At no point did these skewed, unofficial results have any bearing on the Official numbers currently being reviewed by the Board of Canvassers. Both the Antrim County Clerk and ElectionSource have taken steps to adjust policies and procedures to ensure that a similar situation does not happen in the future.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Should we just temporarily repurpose this thread for posting debunks of the election conspiracy theories popping up every 30 minutes? Yes? Ok!

Claim: Glitch in software used in 42 Michigan counties caused 6000 Trump votes to be recorded as Biden votes in Antrim county (that we know of!!!!)

Facts: Isolated human error, not a software glitch. Last minute ballot change caused an offset in the count because they didn't tell the software about it. Was corrected days ago.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/elections/antrim-co-vote-count-problem-was-ballot-change-not-software/
    The Clerk’s Office has traced the cause of the original errors on the posted unofficial election results. Late in the election preparation process, a minor correction was made to a ballot that caused additional compounding changes to how the software totals and presented the data. The skewed unofficial results were a result of procedural misunderstanding that the Clerk’s Office had never before experienced. At no point did these skewed, unofficial results have any bearing on the Official numbers currently being reviewed by the Board of Canvassers. Both the Antrim County Clerk and ElectionSource have taken steps to adjust policies and procedures to ensure that a similar situation does not happen in the future.

This smells like a very fancy way of saying that someone messed up their unofficial Excel document.

edited November 2020
    Here's one about Georgia: "Georgia has 3.7 million people but over 5 million votes!" With fun periphery claims that "less than 2% of its population is black but they dominated the vote in multiple counties" and so forth.

I'm assuming this one originated with a troll, for reasons I'll explain. But it spread through the right wing conspirosphere and even earned a deleted retweet from John James, failed Michigan senate candidate, so it's a successful enough troll to get an entry here.

Those figures are accurate... for the OTHER Georgia. The tiny former SSR wedged in between Russia and Turkey on the Black Sea.

Now, I figure this was originally a troll because you have to specifically tell Google you want the country to get figures or it defaults to the state, and while it appears first (after disambiguation) on Wikipedia, it says, "Georgia (Country)" and there's a line right at the top basically telling you you're on the wrong page. It's also frequently being paired with a population graph that also shows Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Hevach on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    [Note: state of georgia population is 10.6 million, of which 6 million are in the metro Atlanta area and 30% of the total are Black. In case anyone needs a quick reference for a debunk or something.]

Mayabird on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I am not sure how anybody could thing the state GA has a black population of less than 2%

Couscous on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am not sure how anybody could thing the state GA has a black population of less than 2%

Never underestimate the ability of a US citizen to not know, or even care to know, anything about a state they don't live in while simultaneously being stunningly confident about their opinion of that state.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Same way they think Trump is the pinnacle of human health and his failsons are charismatic, that the obvious pandemic happening is a hoax, and all the other insanity - they don't actually think. They feel. That is how emotional 'thinkers' work and operate. Whatever they happen to feel at the moment is their reality and damn the evidence of their eyes because they will see only what they want to see. They want to believe that Trump won in a landslide and will twist and contort to do anything to make that work in their heads.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Q-types are already convincing themselves that JFK Jr. has already replaced Mike Pence, and is just going around wearing a Pence mask, so even if he doesn't "reveal" himself he's already there.

If you're wondering, no, none of them have given the slightest thought about "so...what about Pence himself? What happened to him if he was "replaced"?

BTW, if you were wondering how JFK Jr. supposedly fits into QAnon:

[INSANITY ARROW CHART]

JJ MacNab is an expert on right-wing extremism, and cannot troll you any more than Q people troll themselves.

Alright, let's see if we can figure out how to break this down here....

...OK, there's a handy guide to reading it chronologically, let's see...

"START: ATLANTIS"

Welp, that's enough of that

BloodySloth on
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Exactly, any true believer knows you have to start with the lost continent of Lemuria

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The judge asked if the campaign had people in the room. "The number of people in the room is not zero." He reiterated, "I'm asking you as a member of the bar of this court: are people representing the Donald J Trump for President, representing the plaintiffs, in that room?" "Yes." "I'm sorry, then what is your problem?" The legalese translation of "asking you as a member of the bar of this court" is "Now listen here you little shit, stop playing this stupid game or you're going to win a stupid prize." Case dismissed without prejudice when the sides agreed to have 60 observers each. As a fun note, this meant the Trump campaign had to *remove* people.

"I'm asking you as a member of the bar of this court" is incredible and methinks the only reason that the judge didn't summarily dispense sanctions left and right (well, right) is because they know that the attorneys are being paid to argue the inarguable

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I wonder if that Georgia stuff is related to the people claiming that 2 million more people have voted in certain states than exist, or if that is more related to population growth and using older data.

steam_sig.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I wonder if that Georgia stuff is related to the people claiming that 2 million more people have voted in certain states than exist, or if that is more related to population growth and using older data.

They're claiming 2% black people in Georgia. Old data that isn't.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

"I'm asking you as a member of the bar of this court" is incredible and methinks the only reason that the judge didn't summarily dispense sanctions left and right (well, right) is because they know that the attorneys are being paid to argue the inarguable

Lawyer here, its just a polite way of saying cut the bullshit/colorful part of your advocacy and give me a straight answer here. Definitely a little on the testy side, but isn't some major smackdown.

steam_sig.png
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »

They're claiming 2% black people in Georgia. Old data that isn't.

Well the claim I heard wasn't just confined to Georgia, it was also referencing other states (oddly enough I think California was one of them). Just wondering if the "fake data" they were comparing to was old Georgia (state) data or Georgia (country) data; I suppose it doesn't matter much either way, it's just I was finding it hard to account for "2 million more people voted than exist in these states!" without something crazy like using data for a small country instead of a medium sized state.

steam_sig.png
    I definitely think the claim's popularity is related to the similar claims for other states. This is one of the most widely claimed irregularities after voting dead. I don't, however, think the source is the same.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If anyone was wondering how Qanon is taking this:
    The Four Seasons Landscaping is a money laundering front for Democrats and Trump was rubbing it in their face that he knows. Also the crematorium across the street has a review on their website from Ron and Lisa Pelosi so that's probably where they burned the Trump ballots (There is only one Pelosi family in the US, I assume)
    Whatever this means:

Hang in there

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Apparently "real" Joe Biden hasn't been seen for days and it's all been deepfakes.

Considering one of the pictures showing evidence of a deepfaked Joe Biden is from one of the presidential debates, this is a stretch even for QAnoners.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Apparently "real" Joe Biden hasn't been seen for days and it's all been deepfakes.

Considering one of the pictures showing evidence of a deepfaked Joe Biden is from one of the presidential debates, this is a stretch even for QAnoners.

Probably burned out the last clone with the campaigning and the new one isn't finished baking yet.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I don’t get why people who are like there’s clones and massive conspiracies and everything’s a lizardman lie even believe their eyes are real. How do they know they aren’t a clone, also that this isn’t the matrix

Prohass on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    If someone was searching for "Georgia" from Russia, I guess they probably would get hits on the country before the state....

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I don’t get why people who are like there’s clones and massive conspiracies and everything’s a lizardman lie even believe their eyes are real. How do they know they aren’t a clone, also that this isn’t the matrix

I can get the argument for lizard people, it's just that they pick such obviously not-lizards. I mean, look at this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVnqhJa5XI&feature=emb_logo
    That guy is at least 150% pure lizard in a human suit. A badly-fit human suit. Where are his lizardman conspiracies? That fucker fake-laughs any harder and he's going to be able swallow a whole chicken.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I can get the argument for lizard people, it's just that they pick such obviously not-lizards. I mean, look at this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVnqhJa5XI&feature=emb_logo
    That guy is at least 150% pure lizard in a human suit. A badly-fit human suit. Where are his lizardman conspiracies? That fucker fake-laughs any harder and he's going to be able swallow a whole chicken.

Projection.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The Four Seasons Landscaping is a money laundering front for Democrats and Trump was rubbing it in their face that he knows. Also the crematorium across the street has a review on their website from Ron and Lisa Pelosi so that's probably where they burned the Trump ballots (There is only one Pelosi family in the US, I assume)
    Whatever this means:

Hang in there

I'm pretty sure I could make a more legitimate conspiracy than this by whipping scrabble tiles at a wall.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

This smells like a very fancy way of saying that someone messed up their unofficial Excel document.

I would not actually be shocked to learn that election staffers, who may have never previously encountered the vaguely democratic-process-themed Access, might refer to it as "election/counting software" rather than by the actual name of the niche, highly specialized software application people have probably never heard of.
    Whatever this means:

Hang in there

I'm pretty sure I could make a more legitimate conspiracy than this by whipping scrabble tiles at a wall.

"Everyone's a critic," complained AwakeningCat, who had spent all weekend doing exactly that.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Whatever this means:

Hang in there

Wait. That isn't just a joke??

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg