As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I sold my Mortal Kombat Arcade1Up cabinet and used the money to get a Legends Ultimate cab. I'm already 7,000% more satisfied with it than I ever was with the Arcade1Up cab. 7,000 is the percent I picked, because that's also the number of games I have on it now. No joke, in the first week that I've owned it I've already played with it more than I did the Mortal Kombat cab the entire time I owned it. Haven't been able to get streaming from my Steam account to work yet, but when it does I'm excited to try out some modern fighting games and Pinball Arcade on it. I regret that it's not powerful enough for any 3D games, but I'm thinking I'll eventually put together a micro-PC that I'll plug into the provided HDMI port just for 3D arcade games and light gun shooters like House of the Dead, Carnevil and Time Crisis. Speaking of light guns AtGames is also putting out official light gun accessories for the Legends Ultimate. I haven't ordered them yet, cause I don't want to immediately dump an extra 200 bucks so quickly, but when I do I already have some classic light gun games ready to go. Speaking of not wanting to immediately dump an extra two hundo into this cabinet with other cool things their LED Marquee looks totally bitchin in preview videos. Just check out that preview I linked and tell me it doesn't look insanely awesome.

Since I'm moving into a new bigger place in the next month I'm going to indulge in something I've wanted since I was a kid and ordering AtGames' Legends Pinball machine as soon as pre-orders go live. I've always wanted my own pinball machine and I'm already so happy with the Legends Ultimate that I have high hopes for the quality of the Legends Pinball machine.

While we are on the topic since Arcade1Up just announced their Outrun cab I'm hoping that at some point in the future AtGames will beat them at their own game again with a better more feature rich sit-down racing cab that I can also do BYOG with. That would be the perfect trifecta for our new living room.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I sold my Mortal Kombat Arcade1Up cabinet and used the money to get a Legends Ultimate cab. I'm already 7,000% more satisfied with it than I ever was with the Arcade1Up cab. 7,000 is the percent I picked, because that's also the number of games I have on it now. No joke, in the first week that I've owned it I've already played with it more than I did the Mortal Kombat cab the entire time I owned it. Haven't been able to get streaming from my Steam account to work yet, but when it does I'm excited to try out some modern fighting games and Pinball Arcade on it. I regret that it's not powerful enough for any 3D games, but I'm thinking I'll eventually put together a micro-PC just for 3D arcade games and light gun shooters like House of the Dead, Carnevil and Time Crisis. Speaking of light guns AtGames is also putting out official light gun accessories for the Legends Ultimate. I haven't ordered them yet, cause I don't want to immediately dump an extra 200 bucks so quickly, but when I do I already have some classic light gun games ready to go. Speaking of not wanting to immediately dump an extra two hundo into this cabinet with other cool things their LED Marquee looks totally bitchin in preview videos. Just check out that preview I linked and tell me it doesn't look insanely awesome.

Since I'm moving into a new bigger place in the next month I'm going to indulge in something I've wanted since I was a kid and ordering AtGames' Legends Pinball machine as soon as pre-orders go live. I've always wanted my own pinball machine and I'm already so happy with the Legends Ultimate that I have high hopes for the quality of the Legends Pinball machine.

While we are on the topic since Arcade1Up just announced their Outrun cab I'm hoping that at some point in the future AtGames will beat them at their own game again with a better more feature rich sit-down racing cab that I can also do BYOG with. That would be the perfect trifecta for our new living room.

Oh man, that LED Marquee is indeed awesome along with the list of games that comes on it. Wow!!! I love that it has Tron on it. Is it the full 3 game one or does it also include the bike one?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I sold my Mortal Kombat Arcade1Up cabinet and used the money to get a Legends Ultimate cab. I'm already 7,000% more satisfied with it than I ever was with the Arcade1Up cab. 7,000 is the percent I picked, because that's also the number of games I have on it now. No joke, in the first week that I've owned it I've already played with it more than I did the Mortal Kombat cab the entire time I owned it. Haven't been able to get streaming from my Steam account to work yet, but when it does I'm excited to try out some modern fighting games and Pinball Arcade on it. I regret that it's not powerful enough for any 3D games, but I'm thinking I'll eventually put together a micro-PC just for 3D arcade games and light gun shooters like House of the Dead, Carnevil and Time Crisis. Speaking of light guns AtGames is also putting out official light gun accessories for the Legends Ultimate. I haven't ordered them yet, cause I don't want to immediately dump an extra 200 bucks so quickly, but when I do I already have some classic light gun games ready to go. Speaking of not wanting to immediately dump an extra two hundo into this cabinet with other cool things their LED Marquee looks totally bitchin in preview videos. Just check out that preview I linked and tell me it doesn't look insanely awesome.

Oh man, that LED Marquee is indeed awesome along with the list of games that comes on it. Wow!!! I love that it has Tron on it. Is it the full 3 game one or does it also include the bike one?

It does include Light Cycles.

Oh also the rewind button and savestates automatically make this thing better than any of the Arcade1Up cabinets.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/

Oh also the rewind button and savestates automatically make this thing better than any of the Arcade1Up cabinets.

Ooooh, sooo nice. Hmmm, I wish they made that just the controllers and I could connect it to my TV. It would be perfect like their other ones.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2020

Ooooh, sooo nice. Hmmm, I wish they made that just the controllers and I could connect it to my TV. It would be perfect like their other ones.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-gamer-pro-se-tabletop-arcade/prod24923281?xid=plp_product_1
    Though it's missing the spinners that the Legends Ultimate cab has.

The_Spaniard on

https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-gamer-pro-se-tabletop-arcade/prod24923281?xid=plp_product_1
    Though it's missing the spinners that the Legends Ultimate cab has.

Oooh, that might work. Will have to look more into this unit. Thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    "Anotha one" (Capcom this time)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    If I ever bought a lightgun cabinet, it would be Time Crisis. The only game in the series where survival depends on, well, time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    "Anotha one" (Capcom this time)

At least it's marginally less awful than the massive dual-arcade-stick CAPCOM logo thing.

Lazy as fuck game selection, though.

It's also another in the line of "have fun playing with an incredibly cramped arcade stick + buttons!"

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's also another in the line of "have fun playing with an incredibly cramped arcade stick + buttons!"

My tendons are screaming just looking at it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If I ever bought a lightgun cabinet, it would be Time Crisis. The only game in the series where survival depends on, well, time.

Lost World for me. Preferably a sit down cab, although those are Hella expensive.

A close second would be House of the Dead 2.

Area 51 would be third.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I need a bigger house so I can buy all of these.

I need money and a house

Lost World for me. Preferably a sit down cab, although those are Hella expensive.

A close second would be House of the Dead 2.

Area 51 would be third.

I'd either want to go crazy with Silent Scope, or old and weird like Crossbow or Chiller.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Retro Core is back again, using his whole "living in Japan" thing to get out Astro City Mini unboxing and impressions first. Plenty of footage of playing the small unit itself, as well as on the TV with its custom controller.

https://youtu.be/viMaxSkzV4A

edit: more useful is this direct capture and commentary evaluating emulation quality. In some cases it seems to be more accurate than MAME as in say Arabian Fight so this could be a relevant preservation platform, or even the best way to play some of ghese games short of official hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pl302m9ZI

rahkeesh2000 on
    And now a critical review from Sega arcade nut SLX. Overall its decent but has some flaws in his opinion:

1) Unit controls are solid, but tiny and hand-cramping after hours. You basically need the not-included controller or fight stick for extended play, as other USB controllers don't seem to work, and that raises the effective price further.
    2) Display is puzzingly widescreen, when a taller 4:3 would've looked better and ran all games. (I think this was planned initially?)
    3) Virtua fighter is the one game that shows notable slowdowns, especially during replays. However it seems to be rendering 3D elements in 720p instead of the 240p, arguably not worth it given the slowdowns. Aside from minor audio glitches he didn't have any problem with other games' emulation.

https://youtu.be/lv1VjhGCUgo

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not exactly plug and play, but damn.

https://arcade1up.com/products/killer-instinct-arcade-cabinet

q1q53eoe3822.jpg
    Killer Instinct™. Fans loved it, critics loved it. For many retrogamer enthusiasts it’s a definitive title of the mid ‘90s, with the gameplay, soundtrack, and 3D-rendered graphics all revered. Relive that video game era with this stop-you-in-your-tracks arcade cabinet, that also includes Killer Instinct 2™, Battletoads™ (yes, the arcade version!), and Battletoads™ / Double Dragon™ as a bonus game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Plug it into your wall and play. Works for me...

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Plug it into your wall and play. Works for me...

That's true. I always just think 'plug into your TV and play' when I see the title.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Well whatever, this is more the "official emulation machine" thread. We even have things you don't plug in like game gear micro!

So it's 3 arcade games and a console game? I wonder which version of Toads/DD will be on it.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I would love KI and KI2. I put a lot of time (and money) into those games back in the day.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I would have preferred a Battletoads cab that happened to have Killer Instinct on it but whatever. I'll probably get this one but tbh I'm just waiting on that inevitable House of the Dead cabinet.

Edit: they also announced X-Men (the Konami beatemup) and Dragon's Lair cabs, and a Capcom cab with more versions of street fighter and other things.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really think they should be going for more games that literally can't be played the same way without a proper cab setup, like Time Crisis and Quick Draw Showdown.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    KI/Battletoads has my attention, despite having 3/4 of those on my Xbox and not caring for arcade KI as much as the SNES one.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I would have preferred a Battletoads cab that happened to have Killer Instinct on it but whatever. I'll probably get this one but tbh I'm just waiting on that inevitable House of the Dead cabinet.

Edit: they also announced X-Men (the Konami beatemup) and Dragon's Lair cabs, and a Capcom cab with more versions of street fighter and other things.

X-men isn't even six player! No reflection of the two monitors! Why am I even in this thread!?

(I want it)

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Battletoads/Double Dragon? I'm amazed they finally managed to resecure the rights to that one after all these years. (Rare Replay didn't exactly go out of its way to try to secure even slightly problematic IP.) It's definitely the second-best Battletoads thing after the arcade game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2021
    I hope they do a cab down the line with nothing but every beatemup game they've done + extras.

Also a cab like the Atgames one where it acts as a storefront/module for receiving new releases. I absolutely love my TMNT 1uparcade and I still play it a whole year after getting it, but it'd be nice to get some different games on it without having to resort to modding.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Killer Instinct is tempting but my wallet is safe until they secure the Alien vs Predator license.

The real problem isn’t money, rather the lack of space for new machines. My game room is jam packed as it is.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Killer Instinct is tempting but my wallet is safe until they secure the Alien vs Predator license.

The real problem isn’t money, rather the lack of space for new machines. My game room is jam packed as it is.

My problem is space period. Otherwise yeah I'd have bought a bunch of these starting with the X-Wing one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I really think they should be going for more games that literally can't be played the same way without a proper cab setup, like Time Crisis and Quick Draw Showdown.

And Point Blank.

So you thought spending $200+ would get you the full collection of Game Gear micros? Think again!

Introducing the Game Gear Micro White, filled with 8-bit Sega games recently released in the Aleste collection by M.2 on PS4/Switch.
    The collection will include Aleste / Power Strike (Mark III, Master System), Power Strike II (Master System), Aleste GG (Game Gear) and Aleste GG II (Game Gear). Also announced, and exclusive to the upcoming collection, is a white Game Gear Micro which will include the same four games and is set to sell for ¥14,800 ($141) as part of a special bundle which will also include a white Big Window Micro, a 32-page art book, and a staff interview book. The collection is set for a December 24, 2020 release.

(Yes this is old news, but first I've heard of it anywhere in the English retroverse.)

https://youtu.be/AzT7jlw3obw

That collection keeps making me sad, because I keep hoping for a rerelease of MUSHA.
    (Also the crown jewel of my Sega collection.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Thought I'd share this here. A while back I bought a Pandora's Box 6, a small Chinese SBC that run various emulators for arcade games (and some select consoles). I decided to build a 2 player setup for it, and I finally got around to completing it.
    35vETXh.jpg

The top panel is made from a piece of particle board furniture that was originally a TV stand. It was a bit of a pain to drill out w/ a forstner bit. Not sure what the top/bottom veneer are made of, but it liked to chip out a lot. Overall a bit of a fun project, and I might look into doing another one if they come out with a bit more powerful board.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    So is the VCS also going to fail to show in wal-mart now?

After reading that I literally can't tell what their beef is with Walmart is or why people need to cancel their Walmart pre-orders or what will happen if people don't cancel their preorders. Presumably the Polymega people pissed off someone at Walmart by continuously putting off the release date? Or something.

edited January 2021
    Walmart is free to stop selling Polymega pre-orders if they are actually done doing business with the company. If not then what they are doing is pretty negligent at minimum. Not sure that Polymega is trying to solve this in a great way but it is a problem when a retailer takes customer's money for your product and doesn't give you any cut nor the customer any product.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Walmart is free to stop selling Polymega pre-orders if they are actually done doing business with the company. If not then what they are doing is pretty negligent at minimum. Not sure that Polymega is trying to solve this in a great way but it is a problem when a retailer takes customer's money for your product and doesn't give you any cut nor the customer any product.

The thing is that "through no fault of our own Walmart won't take any of our calls" sounds like bullshit.

It can be 100% Polymega's fault and Wal-Mart is still obligated to either work with them or cancel and take down preorders, because anything else is dishonesty to your own customers.