As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Election 2020] Joe Biden Wins

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I mean. I guess. But if the scotus decides to hand it to Trump they can and there’s nothing we can do.

There’s a lot of paths they can take to get there too. And there’s zero reason to believe they won’t.

Let’s say they go ahead and overturn the election off just the bullshit they’ve said so far.

Why wouldn’t they do it? And how would anyone stop them?

Discussing what will happen then is verboten, so bringing that up as a hypothetical and asking what would happen then saying that shows we should be worried is not exactly fair discourse.

The fact is most of America - even many Trump voters - know Biden won fair and square. We had our victory celebrations and everything.

The only thing that claws it back for Trump is a naked coup and I'm pretty sure even the military will balk at firing on the protests that would result. Keep in mind the military and intelligence communities arent big fans either.

I'm not trying to be coy, but it's over we won.

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    It's not a coup. There's nothing wrong with an investigation.

Yes, we all know it's bullshit made to make it look like this is a real serious thing, but investigations are fine. If they succesfully invent evidence or conservative judges ignore reality, then it's a coup. So far though, Barr has not invented any evidence for his numerous bullshit investigations, and conservative judges appear to be calling bullshit on all election fraud cases.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    oh hey I guess we do get another thread after this one huh :bigfrown:

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    They're not above inventing evidence at all, though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I realise this is nothing to do with anything but... why are they digging up the White House lawn?! WTF is up with that?!

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I realise this is nothing to do with anything but... why are they digging up the White House lawn?! WTF is up with that?!

If I had to guess I'd probably say Trump wanted to fire someone and was warned that they "know where the bodies are buried" so Trump freaked out and ordered all of the bodies immediately moved.

I believe, on the balance of things, this is the most likely outcome for 2020

Psn:wazukki

There is no evidence they can dig up that will make people accept tens of thousands of ballots in multiple states getting switched to Trump.

Trump lost and this is pathetic flailing.

We either get another hot Civil War, or Biden / Harris in the White House in January.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

there could be votes hidden anywhere

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    They know 75 million people just told them to get fucked so this is all theater to placate Trump to help with the GA special

Captain Inertia on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    See you all have more faith in the citizens of this country than me. Things aren’t bad enough for most people here to do anything but roll over and accept a coup

I don’t even think we have it in us for a general labor strike. We’ll tweet and we’ll yell and we’ll go to work the next day like normal and the GOP knows it

616610-1.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I mean, what's the likelihood long-term civil servants, secret service etc. and the military would just accept a blatantly illegal ruling from the SC declaring the obvious loser of an election the winner.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

No, but inventing evidence on a vast enough scale to make a difference to tens of thousands of votes across several states that lawyers will be willing to repeat under oath through every level of the courts is a bit of an ask.

This honestly smacks of a vague plan they had in place to deal with a much, much narrower margin that they’re now throwing out there to see if it sticks.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    They were looking for Florida 2000, not what has happened now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    they could throw out the PA result entirely and we still win

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Why would they stop with PA?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA

well, first, they aren't going to throw out PA, it was just illustrative of how pathetic the attempts are

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Because there is no case right now before the Supreme Court for any other state. Every other one they've tried to manufacture has been thrown out completely

Psn:wazukki
    they have attempted 11 legal challenges and they have lost 10 legal challenges and "won" one where the result was "yes you are allowed to do the thing you are already allowed to do"

they don't have a plan and they don't have a case

partisan as SCOTUS may be, they are not going to start the next civil war with no actual evidence

i know lots of people have PTSD from 2016 but this is over. we won.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    They’re highly likely to retain the senate and expand their majority if not also take the presidency and house in 2024

They have already won the Supreme Court

They are not risking the violence of overturning the vote on 2020 when they’re going to get everything they want back soon anyway. This is all a show for the big orange baby until after the GA special when they can memory hole him.

Captain Inertia on
    Maybe? But I said for months Trump has no legit path to winning. So I was never really scared Tuesday. This is what I’ve been afraid of and we needed an overwhelming mandate to stop it.

I THINK we got enough? But I’m not remotely confident in that fact

We’re relying on the good graces of the most partisan court ever to save us.

616610-1.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    They’re highly likely to retain the senate and expand their majority if not also take the presidency and house in 2024

They are not risking the violence of overturning the vote on 2020 when they’re going to get everything they want back soon anyway. This is all a show for the big orange baby until after the GA special when they can memory hole him.

Yeah, the way things are looking, it's not outside the realm of possibility that McConnell was meeting with Barr to discuss how to make sure Trump keeps his appointment with the underside of the bus without any of it coming back on The Party.

Still a bit worrying, though. :(

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Maybe? But I said for months Trump has no legit path to winning. So I was never really scared Tuesday. This is what I’ve been afraid of and we needed an overwhelming mandate to stop it.

I THINK we got enough? But I’m not remotely confident in that fact

We’re relying on the good graces of the most partisan court ever to save us.

I heard it put in terms of 'this is basically a gigantic loss for Dems', because of the above, and forcing the party to be set in its past ways with a bunch of regular offenders we talk about here. I doubt Dem's get this turnout at midterms, All republicans have to do is wait 2 years, theres already a tax hike about to fire off. Let nothing go through, blame Dems, make shutdowns longer than trump, its a slam dunk.

steam_sig.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If they're trying so hard to keep Trump on the ballot by keeping up this "stolen election" rhetoric, it has to have at least some effect for opposition afraid of 'pubs actually stealing the election. Seems like something to drive turnout on both sides, though perhaps not evenly.

They are not risking the violence of overturning the vote on 2020 when they’re going to get everything they want back soon anyway

They might be more desperate if they start seeing themselves down by several points in Georgia, but at that point they will look to ratfuck and steal Georgia harder, not keep Trump around.

Trump is an anchor most of the Republicans are glad to see go and hoping goes into the memory hole peacefully and spends the rest of his life on the golf course.

They arent going to burn America down for Trump when it gives them very little they don't already have. Maybe - maybe - if they took the house and could pass legislation by blowing up the filibuster because the dastardly dems were going to do it and force their hand.

But in this world Mitch plans to spend two years obstructing and hopes to get the house in 22 and make Biden a one term President. And the best chance of that happen is Trump going quietly into the night (but also undermining the legitimacy of Biden).

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Schumer is arguing for an aggressive 100 days policy:

Chuck Schumer to AnandWrites:
    argues for an FDR-like first 100 days.
    Says they will focus on:
    climate
    $15 minimum wage
    infrastructure bill that will also employee ppl w/ prison records
    student debt cancellation via executive order
    immigration
    The author is a reporter for Politico.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    If Trump wanted to successfully engineer a coup the time to do it was before Biden decisively won the election. He tried to cause enough voter disenfranchisement to steal the election, too, hence the USPS fuckery. But he was neither determined enough nor competent enough to pull it off, which shouldn't be surprising given what a lazy idiot he is.

As it stands, this is over, it's just a matter of how much damage he causes on the way out.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.

Says they will focus on:
    climate
    $15 minimum wage
    immigration
    Relies on Georgia runoff
    And of course no successful coup

616610-1.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The news media (even FOX) is already cutting off Trump officials decrying fraud. Trump's power to stage a coup is already eroding.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    OremLK wrote: »
    If Trump wanted to successfully engineer a coup the time to do it was before Biden decisively won the election. He tried to cause enough voter disenfranchisement to steal the election, too, hence the USPS fuckery. But he was neither determined enough nor competent enough to pull it off, which shouldn't be surprising given what a lazy idiot he is.

As it stands, this is over, it's just a matter of how much damage he causes on the way out.

Yup, shot his wad too early election night, then waited too long on the follow-up.

If he had declared victory at like noon on Wednesday and then cried about the votes changing and election being stolen, very serious people might not have spent Wednesday morning (and from then on) just dunking on his 'victory speech'.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Says they will focus on:
    climate
    $15 minimum wage
    immigration

Those all sound like fantastic things they could do with a Democrat controlled Senate if they somehow manage to get one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

I suspect he just didn't think it would be necessary, because the necessity would require the winningest winner ever lose the biggest competition ever and that's going to be utterly alien to him. Add to that White House staff almost certainly not being allowed to even think too loudly about the same possibility, and of course they're in a panicked scramble this week.

the Presidential election is over

GA isn't over

we can deliver the Senate needed to get this done

Yeah, the way things are looking, it's not outside the realm of possibility that McConnell was meeting with Barr to discuss how to make sure Trump keeps his appointment with the underside of the bus without any of it coming back on The Party.

Still a bit worrying, though. :(

It absolutely is worrying. It’s just also worth bearing in mind that this coup attempt is brought to you by the same people whose election strategy was pretending to find Hunter Biden’s laptop.

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    If Biden forgives $50k of my student loans I'll happily vote democrat until I die.

i'm very easy to bribe.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yeah note the date there, it was back when we thought we'd win Maine, North Carolina, and maybe pick off some 50/50s.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The main counter to SCOTUS doing anything is a question of motivation: there's nowhere for the people on SCOTUS to climb too by handing the election to Trump, no office of absolute power he's able to promise then.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Student debt cancellation is just a thing they can do, right?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Student debt cancellation is just a thing they can do, right?

federal not private

if your loan is through wells fargo they can't cancel that

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    It's not a coup. There's nothing wrong with an investigation.

Yes, we all know it's bullshit made to make it look like this is a real serious thing, but investigations are fine. If they succesfully invent evidence or conservative judges ignore reality, then it's a coup. So far though, Barr has not invented any evidence for his numerous bullshit investigations, and conservative judges appear to be calling bullshit on all election fraud cases.

its incredibly damaging to our democracy?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Some old law allows the Department of Education to cancel federally owned student loan debt, yeah. So not all but quite a bit.

This discussion has been closed.