As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Election 2020] Joe Biden Wins

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the modern gop is not some genius level schemers.

mcconnell couldn't even repeal the aca with full control over the government.

this is just trump trying to save face, it will accomplish nothing. there is no voter fraud, and as such there is nothing any court could do, biden is already ahead. any times courts have changed a race it was due to an order to stop counting.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Without the Senate we can still EO away Federal debt, bring back the 'no making you work 80 hour weeks for $26k / year' rules Obama almost got through, and a million things big and small to make everyone's lives better as long as we stay in the White House.

Senate makes things longer lasting, but a lot of the wishlist can get checked off for at least four years. And four years of EO for climate is pretty vital. It was 80* here in Michigan today.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ilpala wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Keeping the base angry is whatever, they had Bronzer Bastard on the ballot and still got outvoted

The only real question in the GA runoff is: Can we turn out enough of our people

In Stacey Abrams we trust.

Man, I hope so. Biden took the state by a handful of votes, and he outperformed Dem senators pretty much across the board. In both senate races, the number of people voting for Pubs outstripped the number voting for Dems, and by 10 points in the case of the special election.

If the electorate in the runoff looks like the electorate in the general, the Dems lose, plain and simple.

We're not doomed or anything, but getting even one of these is a longshot.

Wait, what? Like yes Warnock alone ran 10 points behind Loeffler/Collins combined, but there were many more people in the election and the next four Dem candidates or so were a total of 13.5% of the vote. Looking at the results that show up on google, adding up the percents of Dem candidates gets me something like 48% of all voters with 2.3% or so going to independent/green/libertarian candidates. I don't think Warnock's in as bad shape as you imply here.

Really? Cool. I looked at the top 4 or 5 candidates on the CNN results page and the total GOP tally was higher than the total Dem tally, but if there were several Dems i didn't catch and the total for Dems was higher than the total for Pubs, excellent.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    warnock was also ahead in h2h polls of that race iirc. not that it really matters because the turnout environment is going to be totally different, but i don't think it's a foregone conclusion that we're gonna lose both races.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There were a LOT of candidates in that special election. I think just shy of 2 dozen? Really tough to get a sense for how that would break down when it's just 2 but yeah the vote was reasonably close for both races.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    If Biden forgives $50k of my student loans I'll happily vote democrat until I die.

i'm very easy to bribe.

my husband and I are very close to paying off his student loans, and we've been aggressively putting more money towards it since our incomes went up. if other people just have their debt magically 'forgiven' after all of our hard work I will be

fucking delighted

we are so privileged as a couple and it was such still a pain to pay them off, it's so much worse for other people that aren't in our position. burn the debt notices in a big pile, Joker style

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    They’re highly likely to retain the senate and expand their majority if not also take the presidency and house in 2024

They have already won the Supreme Court

They are not risking the violence of overturning the vote on 2020 when they’re going to get everything they want back soon anyway. This is all a show for the big orange baby until after the GA special when they can memory hole him.

They cannot expand their Majority in the Senate. Democrats already have a +1 pickup. The question is whether that's all it is or if we get +3.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Maybe? But I said for months Trump has no legit path to winning. So I was never really scared Tuesday. This is what I’ve been afraid of and we needed an overwhelming mandate to stop it.

I THINK we got enough? But I’m not remotely confident in that fact

We’re relying on the good graces of the most partisan court ever to save us.

we're not. Even if the Court rules that State Legislatures are the sole arbiter of how an election can be conducted and no Court can speak against them, we still win in PA.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!
    When does this become an argument for why he should get to stay in power despite losing the vote?

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Ah, I see Barr is breaking out the old favorites. Order the DOJ to do something, knowing it'll only make waves in the news. Like the Hunter Biden investigation, I see this one coming back as a nothingburger with so little value that they don't even file a brief.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Maybe? But I said for months Trump has no legit path to winning. So I was never really scared Tuesday. This is what I’ve been afraid of and we needed an overwhelming mandate to stop it.

we're not. Even if the Court rules that State Legislatures are the sole arbiter of how an election can be conducted and no Court can speak against them, we still win in PA.

The fear is that SCOTUS isn't going to base this on legality and precedent

Given who is now on the court and what they've written about the election so far, it's not an unfounded fear

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!
    When does this become an argument for why he should get to stay in power despite losing the vote?

Fuck those 230,000 Americans, where's MY credit

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Schumer is arguing for an aggressive 100 days policy:

Chuck Schumer to AnandWrites:
    argues for an FDR-like first 100 days.
    Says they will focus on:
    climate
    $15 minimum wage
    infrastructure bill that will also employee ppl w/ prison records
    student debt cancellation via executive order
    immigration
    The author is a reporter for Politico.

$15 minimum wage? I'm moving to mississippi!

I know, I know, it's a good thing. But that ain't shit in many california cities.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular

Weren't they trying to take credit for this themselves just a few hours ago?

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Weren't they trying to take credit for this themselves just a few hours ago?

Pfizer dunked on the claim by Pence, so pivot.

Plus, are we really expecting Trump's personal messaging to finally become consistent with the rest of his administration's?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Eddy wrote: »

Given who is now on the court and what they've written about the election so far, it's not an unfounded fear

I know the fear, but like

blue sky it in the most bullshit sense you can think of. What's the legal argument that gives Trump a win? How do you do that and remain consistent with actual votes cast on or before election day?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

it would have been dishonest to let him take credit for it as Pfizer specifically opted out of his public-private partnership because they didn't want their research funding to be at the whims of an idiot child

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Hachface wrote: »
    If Biden forgives $50k of my student loans I'll happily vote democrat until I die.

i'm very easy to bribe.

my husband and I are very close to paying off his student loans, and we've been aggressively putting more money towards it since our incomes went up. if other people just have their debt magically 'forgiven' after all of our hard work I will be

fucking delighted

we are so privileged as a couple and it was such still a pain to pay them off, it's so much worse for other people that aren't in our position. burn the debt notices in a big pile, Joker style

I know it doesn't apply to everyone for various reasons.

But my wife and I were talking about how hard and for how long into our careers we were paying off (mostly her) student loans.

All I think is how nice it will be our daughter doesn't have to make college choices about how she will pay off her loans. Or that instead of us having to put her through college we we can take the money and put it toward her house downpayment or other things that become generational wealth.

And if its means tested, we are still fine.

Think about how good it would be for the economy if millions of 20-30 year olds suddenly had anywhere from $200 to...$1500? in extra cash a month they can spend on entertainment, renovations, cars, etc instead of making loan payments.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/business/jones-day-trump-election-lawsuits.html
    Some senior lawyers at Jones Day, one of the country’s largest law firms, are worried that it is advancing arguments that lack evidence and may be helping Mr. Trump and his allies undermine the integrity of American elections, according to interviews with nine partners and associates, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect their jobs.

At another large firm, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, based in Columbus, Ohio, lawyers have held internal meetings to voice similar concerns about their firm’s election-related work for Mr. Trump and the Republican Party, according to people at the firm. At least one lawyer quit in protest.
    In recent days, two Jones Day lawyers said they had faced heckling from friends and others on social media about working at a firm that is supporting Mr. Trump’s efforts.
    If they don't like undermining democracy, they could just quit

oh yes Pfizer

noted toady of democrats and *checks notes* tireless campaigner against the ACA, drug price controls, and single payer.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Even if Trump gets the results of 1 state flipped (he won’t!), Biden is still president

Even if Trump gets the results of 2 states flipped (fucking lolzers), Biden is still President

Literally the only way Trump walks away from this with a W is if SCOTUS declares all votes for Biden are actually nega-votes and so by law he actually is further away from being president than when he started

Which, I don’t think I need to tell you all, is *Swedish chef noises*

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

ICYMI: Why is
    @Pfizer
    financing #Covid19 #vaccine development on its own - instead of accepting government funding?

$PFE CEO Albert Bourla says “I wanted to liberate our scientists from any bureaucracy. When you get money from someone...that always comes with strings.”

from September

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/business/jones-day-trump-election-lawsuits.html
    Some senior lawyers at Jones Day, one of the country’s largest law firms, are worried that it is advancing arguments that lack evidence and may be helping Mr. Trump and his allies undermine the integrity of American elections, according to interviews with nine partners and associates, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect their jobs.

At another large firm, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, based in Columbus, Ohio, lawyers have held internal meetings to voice similar concerns about their firm’s election-related work for Mr. Trump and the Republican Party, according to people at the firm. At least one lawyer quit in protest.
    In recent days, two Jones Day lawyers said they had faced heckling from friends and others on social media about working at a firm that is supporting Mr. Trump’s efforts.
    If they don't like undermining democracy, they could just quit

Wait fucking Porter Wright is supporting Trump?????

My wife used to date Porter! THE Porter!

God damnit

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

@Pfizer
    financing #Covid19 #vaccine development on its own - instead of accepting government funding?

$PFE CEO Albert Bourla says “I wanted to liberate our scientists from any bureaucracy. When you get money from someone...that always comes with strings.”

from September

I never, ever thought I would say this, but...

Yay big pharma!

Okay, I will now go back to hating them to death

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the modern gop is not some genius level schemers.

mcconnell couldn't even repeal the aca with full control over the government.

this is just trump trying to save face, it will accomplish nothing. there is no voter fraud, and as such there is nothing any court could do, biden is already ahead. any times courts have changed a race it was due to an order to stop counting.

I really don't think we can be sure this will amount to nothing. It's an attempted coup! It's a big fucking deal. I don't know what's likely to happen, but I don't think I have a ton of confidence that American institutions won't buckle under the pressure.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Even if Trump gets the results of 1 state flipped (he won’t!), Biden is still president

Even if Trump gets the results of 2 states flipped (fucking lolzers), Biden is still President

Literally the only way Trump walks away from this with a W is if SCOTUS declares all votes for Biden are actually nega-votes and so by law he actually is further away from being president than when he started

Pretty much, yeah!

and I think it says everything about where we, the court and the country are that people are still genuinely worried it could happen.

Commander Zoom on
    I have v. strong feelings on Pfizer, as most of my coworkers and some family were hung out to dry when they decided to suddenly vacate my home town. Things sorta worked out though.

But them doing this today and basically telling Trump to get fucked makes up for a lot of that. If it was planned to happen today instead of last money...*chefs kiss*

@Pfizer

from September

Yay big pharma!

say what you will about them

they aren't stupid

edited November 2020

blue sky it in the most bullshit sense you can think of. What's the legal argument that gives Trump a win? How do you do that and remain consistent with actual votes cast on or before election day?

Again, I wouldn't even bother dressing it up in a legal argument. All that has to happen is that five justices (Alito, Thomas, Kav, ACB, Gorsuch) come out in support of Trump without even bothering to buttress it with anything - no original jurisdiction justification, no worrying about the number of votes, no anything.

Why are you worried about consistency or force of argument? It's clear that everyone who calls themselves a Repub in this day and age don't (and honestly, if you're a fan of jurisprudence, since *ever*) .

Eddy on
    edited November 2020

Pretty much, yeah!

and I think it says everything about where we, the court and the country are that people are genuinely worried it could happen.

Does Trump have the military support he needs to make this happen? I’m pretty sure the military fucking hates him, especially after “losers and suckers”.

Does Trump have the backing of the courts to make his claim seem legally legitimate? Partisan hack Republican judges have universally told him to go screw.

Maybe there is a secret cadre of Trump loyalists with power to pull it off, but I don’t think so.

What is going to happen is Biden is going to be sworn in, and Trump’s criminal ass is going to be escorted off the premises.

joshofalltrades on

Again, I wouldn't even bother dressing it up in a legal argument. All that has to happen is that five justices (Alito, Thomas, Kav, ACB, Gorsuch) come out in support of Trump without even bothering to buttress it with anything - no original jurisdiction justification, no worrying about the number of votes, no anything.

Why are you worried about consistency or force of argument? It's clear that everyone who calls themselves a Repub in this day and age don't.

i think it's as simple as there being no benefit to them doing it

your lifetime appointment over a country in ashes doesn't mean much

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

@Pfizer

from September

Yay big pharma!

Who do you think runs Congress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs0e6mJif5c

Big Pharma!

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
    edited November 2020

Why are you worried about consistency or force of argument? It's clear that everyone who calls themselves a Repub in this day and age don't.

There's no benefit to them ruling maliciously and openly hypocritically, and yet Repub justices do it all the time.

The cruelty is the point, the exercise of power is the point, the tribal team win is the point

Eddy on

There's no benefit to them ruling maliciously and openly hypocritically, and yet Repub justices do it all the time.

it's not the same thing

if SCOTUS hands this election to Trump it is the literal end of our democracy

this isn't screwing over a powerless middle class for tax cuts

the country will be completely illegitimate in the eyes of the entire world

they aren't going to do that

this isn't Florida in 2000. this is a clearly decided election being overturned against the governments of several states. it would take more than PA to pull this off

they simply are not going to do that

Fine worst case.

What is in it for SCOTUS to vote in favor of Trump?

Short of being afraid Trump calls for their assassination he has no power over them now.

I could see Thomas because he is bugfuck crazy and corrupt, ACB and Kavanaugh because they are also crazy and / or compromised, and maybe Alito because he is a hack if they really really had to.

Gorsuch is seemingly principled even if I strongly disagree and think most of his principles are terrible. They arent 'make Trump god-king'.

Robert's doesn't want to sign his name on the death certificate of the Republic, which is what it would absolutely be.

All they are trying to do is find a way to let go of the tiger tail and let someone else get eaten while they lay low. They got everything they want and can spend their lives quietly destroying democracy.

I guess we'll agree to disagree that we're on the knife's edge of the literal end of democracy

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

Agreed. Say what you will about the GOP but they're only relevant so long as there's a Country for them to play in. They're not going to burn everything down because of what the Q-heads or the most hard core Trumper's shriek about. There are still adults, and I use that term loosely, in the room.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Looks like he basically is taking that tack in Pennsylvania:

Tweeter is some lawyer, but links the full filing.

This discussion has been closed.