As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Election 2020] Joe Biden Wins

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I hope yall like executive orders, even if the Democrats win both Senate seats.

Senator Joe Manchin
    @Sen_JoeManchin

"Let me be clear: I will not vote to pack the courts & I will not vote to end the filibuster. The U.S. Senate is the most deliberative body in the world. It was made so that we work together in a bipartisan way. If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate."

At this point I would not even bet on Manchin voting for a Democratic Majority Leader

Manchin sucks as much as you have to to win WV as a Democrat.

Win the two run offs and he will find a way to vote for whatever can get through. Filibuster, court packing, if he is the deciding vote it will always be blue.

Hes basically our Collins - given all the cover but a faithful soldier who will jump on a grenade if needed.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I got yelled at for theory crafting trump dictator paths before

But yes so key al of them involve baseless fraud claims causing the electors to be thrown out and it going to the house

It isn’t scotus declares Trump President but in all practicality it’s the same thing

I have no idea what a possible future where the electors all get thrown out could even look like

I understand the fears, here, but there really does not appear to be a path where Trump can actually feasibly steal the presidency now

Does he want to? Of fucking course he does, but that's a very different question

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Senator Joe Manchin
    @Sen_JoeManchin

"Let me be clear: I will not vote to pack the courts & I will not vote to end the filibuster. The U.S. Senate is the most deliberative body in the world. It was made so that we work together in a bipartisan way. If you get rid of the filibuster, there's no reason to have a Senate."

At this point I would not even bet on Manchin voting for a Democratic Majority Leader

Win the two run offs and he will find a way to vote for whatever can get through. Filibuster, court packing, if he is the deciding vote it will always be blue.

Hes basically our Collins - given all the cover but a faithful soldier who will jump on a grenade if needed.

Nah.

There's no reason for him to go on TV and make this statement if he didn't plan on following through with it. If he feels the need to go on TV and say this to protect his seat, he's certainly not going to go back and actually vote to get rid of the filibuster or pack the courts later on.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    It's STILL frustrating to hear him say that even if he's being dishonest because it's such a stupid take. That senate is DEAD. He was there when it was murdered, he watched it bleed out, he felt the heat as McConnell burned it to ash. Either accept it and govern accordingly or he likely won't be allowed to at all.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If no votes get brought up, then Manchin never has to go on record on important but divisive legislation.

That's not even me making a joke, that is absolutely what I think his thought process on the matter is. As long as he can maintain the Schrodinger's politician of being simultaneously conservative enough to attract conservatives, but not so conservative that he turns off liberals, then that's a good spot for Manchin to be in.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Senator Joe Manchin
    @Sen_JoeManchin

Nah.

There's no reason for him to go on TV and make this statement if he didn't plan on following through with it. If he feels the need to go on TV and say this to protect his seat, he's certainly not going to go back and actually vote to get rid of the filibuster or pack the courts later on.

He has never, not once, not come through when it mattered.

He is already in a stolen seat and if it's not him it's a terrible Republican wingnuts even by wingnut standards.

This isn't to protect his seat, it is to reassure moderates that voting D in the Georgia runoff isn't going to result in an upheaval of our whole government. Which is what they want to hear from a voice they can believe.

You get that rules vote on the floor, he will him and haw and find a way to back it the same as he always has.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Smurph wrote: »
    Just gonna point out that SCOTUS doesn't even have to rule in Trump's favor in order to hand him the Presidency, they just have to hold up enough electoral votes for long enough that Biden doesn't get 270 in time and we get the "House votes as states" tiebreaker, which will choose Trump.

SCOTUS could then rule that the ballots were all fine and Biden probably should have won, but Trump will already be President via House election, oh well I guess we just have to let the system work the way the founding fathers intended.

This is not what I think is gonna happen, but it seems like the easiest path to a Trump victory. Much easier than Trump actually winning in court.

If it comes to that kind of bullshit, Pelosi and a house majority could always just contest the election of every republican in the house, and refuse to seat them prior to the house considering the presidential election.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    At first this was funny because of how poorly planned this was but McConnell taking this seriously is fucking scary.

He has to be seen to be doing something to keep the GA Senate races from depressing GOP turnout. He doesn't give a shit about Trump, he's thinking about January and the Senate.

Undermining the President-Elect for two whole fucking months to try and win a Senate race is insane. He's playing with fire in a barn full of hay.

Notably they have to keep this up *after* the results are legally certified.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I doubt Manchin was ever there on Court packing, but hearing it about the filibuster is certainly disappointing

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I understand that everyone uses Manchin's stance on removing the ACA to prove that he's secretly a liberal paragon in disguise, but I am approximately one billion percent positive that if he had been in the Senate when it was voted on he would have been one of its strongest detractors.

• wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular

FEC commissioner says Barr's DOJ thing is bullshit.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not a surprise on the filibuster either. I mean he's kind of right, the whole point of the Senate is to make the country ungovernable. So...we shouldn't have a Senate.

Anyway, here's the former head of Civil Rights Division with the memo from Pilger, the guy who resigned (his role in DOJ, not from DOJ entirely):

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    JFC this got dumb today, they decided to just shotgun lawsuits at specific states while ignoring other super close states like oh I don't know...North Carolina? Their ace in the hole witnesses are all poll watchers who couldn't follow directions and at least one is a sex offender. Fucking great.

Dark_Side on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    mcdermott wrote: »
    At first this was funny because of how poorly planned this was but McConnell taking this seriously is fucking scary.

He has to be seen to be doing something to keep the GA Senate races from depressing GOP turnout. He doesn't give a shit about Trump, he's thinking about January and the Senate.

Undermining the President-Elect for two whole fucking months to try and win a Senate race is insane. He's playing with fire in a barn full of hay.

Two senate races, and control of the chamber.

Still deplorable. But those are actually very, very high stakes.

If the situation were reversed in 2016, we would expect Schumer to pull out every last stop to hold onto some sort of speed bump. And second guess every decision if he failed.

I mean they are desperate because if we get a VP tie in the Senate and the John Lewis VRA goes through, they may be done and out of power while we enact our whole agenda. Then they spend 30 years trying to unwind it.

They suck and are wrong, but it's a mirror image in a lot of ways.

The funny thing to me is that election reform wouldn’t even mean the end of Republicans in office. I got into it with a coworker about this regarding the electoral college. He said abandoning it would mean no Republican ever becomes president. To which I said a) Reagan, Bush, and other Bush (second term) all managed to win the popular vote. And b) that it doesn’t mean “Republicans” can’t get elected to the presidency...it means Republicans as they exist now can’t. They’d have to run, at worst, slightly more moderate candidates to win.

Same thing Democrats have to do to win states like PA and AZ. See: Biden, Joe.

Broader election reform just means the same for every office. They’d have to moderate the party, so that it actually reflects the what the average Republican supports, rather than going full wingnut. At least for statewide offices and competitive districts. Boo fucking hoo.

mcdermott on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    While that answer is disappointing, I think we need to wait until after the GA runoffs before we know the contours of what is going on.

Just saw that Trump needs like 700% of the remaining vote in Georgia in order to take that state, and thought that was supremely funny.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The Democrats needed to win the Senate big enough to give their rightmost members cover in the situations where it would be necessary. A 50-50 split means there's no cover for them, so things become much murkier around if they'll vote to save themselves or vote with the party.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

If you win, though, it doesn't matter because the play is a solid two more years of undermining and stonewalling. For Mitch, the runoff is as much an existential threat as Nov. 3rd was for Trump.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Senator Joe Manchin
    @Sen_JoeManchin

Nah.

Of course there is

"You're safe voting blue in Georgia, it'll be fine, #NotAllDemocrats want to do the crazy thing they're telling you will happen."

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular

Senator Joe Manchin
    @Sen_JoeManchin

Nah.

He has never, not once, not come through when it mattered.

He is already in a stolen seat and if it's not him it's a terrible Republican wingnuts even by wingnut standards.

This isn't to protect his seat, it is to reassure moderates that voting D in the Georgia runoff isn't going to result in an upheaval of our whole government. Which is what they want to hear from a voice they can believe.

You get that rules vote on the floor, he will him and haw and find a way to back it the same as he always has.

I wish I had more than one agree to give. So much this; this is what we should be projecting. McConnell is going to be scaring the R electorate that voting for Dems in the senate is going to be the end of all norms and the death of the republic. This type of rhetoric is what we need to combat it. This shit works for Collins all the time, let’s put it to good use for a change and not undercut it.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So uh...what does the Senate map look like in 2022?

camo_sig2.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

FEC commissioner says Barr's DOJ thing is bullshit.
    We have seen no evidence that would justify a Department of Justice probe. The Attorney General's move raises grave concerns that he is acting to advance a preferred political narrative rather than following the facts and the law.

This and Richard Pilger's refusal to be involved should be gigantic blaring warning lights with accompanied sounding klaxons.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Burnage wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I got yelled at for theory crafting trump dictator paths before

But yes so key al of them involve baseless fraud claims causing the electors to be thrown out and it going to the house

It isn’t scotus declares Trump President but in all practicality it’s the same thing

I have no idea what a possible future where the electors all get thrown out could even look like

I understand the fears, here, but there really does not appear to be a path where Trump can actually feasibly steal the presidency now

Does he want to? Of fucking course he does, but that's a very different question

Again there’s a nuclear option for any shenanigans that involve going to the house to bypass the EC.

A contingent election takes place on a specific date - Jan 6.

Prior to counting electoral votes the house at the first reviews contested elections. These are typically sent to commitee to review. The house member is seated after the committee reviews the election - typically this happens rather quickly, but not 3 days after session begins quickly.

So it goes like this.

As first order of business Jan 3, pelosi takes a call for any contested elections. Another house member reads the names of every republican in congress. The house votes by majority to send them to committee to review. At this point all contested seats are temporarily vacated. The committee votes to meet to review contested elections Jan 7. Jan 6 presidential election takes place. Jan 7 the committee votes to recommend to seat all republicans and house passes majority to seat them (the house can not legally refuse to seat a qualified representative, but they can temporarily delay seating for a reasonable period to review contested elections).

Thus EC shenanigans are averted by further shenanigans.

Jealous Deva on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have serious doubts that the average American understands what the filibuster is, never mind what it is typically used for

It wouldn't bother me as much if Manchin had, basically, ANY alternate plan for getting legislation through the filibuster. But he doesn't, because there is none.

He's basically advocating for a stonewalled Senate and for Democrats to be nearly powerless as the SCOTUS inflicts untold damage on this country and its people.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    spool32 wrote: »

If you win, though, it doesn't matter because the play is a solid two more years of undermining and stonewalling. For Mitch, the runoff is as much an existential threat as Nov. 3rd was for Trump.

Didn't Orange Shitgibbon, not only snub his nose at the GOP, but McConnell as well, with his utter lack of, "Listen and fall inline for not YOU, but the GOP you dumbass?" Towards listening to Mitch's long term plans for the GOP?

I personally think, as a last shiv to push aside the Shitgibbon, Mitch is like, "I''ve got my justice, and cemented our Conservative legacy within America forever, via SCOTUS. Get wrecked Donny!"

The smart play, to preserve the GOP short term , take the loss, During President Biden's term concede to some things, but go back to SOP politics to push the future narrative. Then push Trump's ass to the curb, reinstate the GOP RNC to swoop in, fall back for now and regroup for the future "year that shall not be named." Would be my guess.

But the cowardly bootlicking from Lindsey and Mittens, is disgusting. At least with Cruz, you know what to expect, for vying for the future "Year that shall not be named." , GOP nominee.

Ticaldfjam on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Heir wrote: »

GOP won 22 seats in 2016

Dems won 12

Taramoor on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Swing(ish) states:
    Pennsylvania - Toomey retiring (R)
    Wisconsin - Johnson (promised to retire after two terms, but hasn't committed to it yet) (R)
    North Carolina - Burr retiring (R)
    Florida - Rubio (R)
    Georgia -Warnock/Loeffler winner
    New Hampshire - Hassan (D)
    Iowa - The decaying corpse of Chuck Grassley (may retire, he will be 89 on election day) (R)
    Ohio - Portman (R)
    Arizona - Kelly (D)
    Nevada - Cortez Masto (D)
    Colorado - Bennett (D)

Not great in a midterm environment with a Democrat in the White House, but not a ton of obvious opportunities for the GOP. Arizona probably the best shot at a pickup for them. Dems have a couple goodish shots.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Run McSally again, I dare you.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

Swing(ish) states:
    Wisconsin - Johnson (promised to retire after two terms, but hasn't committed to it yet) (R)
    Florida - Rubio (R)
    Iowa - The decaying corpse of Chuck Grassley (may retire, he will be 89 on election day) (R)
    Ohio - Portman (R)
    Arizona - Kelly (D)
    Colorado - Bennett (D)

Not great in a midterm environment with a Democrat in the White House, but not a ton of obvious opportunities for the GOP. Arizona probably the best shot at a pickup for them. Dems have a couple goodish shots.

State level Elections will be crucial, in order for the Biden Administration to get any meaningful passage done, long term.

Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Swing(ish) states:
    Florida - Rubio (R)
    Ohio - Portman (R)
    Arizona - Kelly (D)
    Colorado - Bennett (D)

State level Elections will be crucial, in order for the Biden Administration to get any meaningful passage done, long term.

Unfortunately the Dems screwed the pooch on that one at possibly the most critical time in our lives, so bleh.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

ICYMI: Why is
    @Pfizer
    financing #Covid19 #vaccine development on its own - instead of accepting government funding?

$PFE CEO Albert Bourla says “I wanted to liberate our scientists from any bureaucracy. When you get money from someone...that always comes with strings.”

from September

I never, ever thought I would say this, but...

Yay big pharma!

Okay, I will now go back to hating them to death
    Oh you can hate them. The reason they didn’t accept government money is that they are not bound by TINA (truth in negotiated contracts act) which only allows them a 10% markup. I believe they are set to price this at 39 bucks a person. For something that is only going to cost 2 bucks a person to make, and yeah the R&D costs are in the 100s of millions of dollars. If they can treat 1 billion people. That will be way more than 10%.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

ICYMI: Why is
    @Pfizer
    financing #Covid19 #vaccine development on its own - instead of accepting government funding?

$PFE CEO Albert Bourla says “I wanted to liberate our scientists from any bureaucracy. When you get money from someone...that always comes with strings.”

from September

I never, ever thought I would say this, but...

Yay big pharma!

Okay, I will now go back to hating them to death
    Oh you can hate them. The reason they didn’t accept government money is that they are not bound by TINA (truth in negotiated contracts act) which only allows them a 10% markup. I believe they are set to price this at 39 bucks a person. For something that is only going to cost 2 bucks a person to make, and yeah the R&D costs are in the 100s of millions of dollars. If they can treat 1 billion people. That will be way more than 10%.

Don’t worry, my gratitude that they did the research independent of Trump’s fuckery has passed and I’m right back to WTF are you getting fat and rich off of people’s misery, you assholes

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    My big fear is that outside of people like us I don’t think the doj or scotus has lost any sort of legitimacy

So if the doj says there is fraud and scotus upholds whatever resulting election theft occurs from it

Most people won’t see it as a coup but as justice

We’ll be in the vast minority screaming how democracy just died, most people will go on with their lives ignorant to it

616610-1.png
    Even Fox News is talking about how there's no evidence for the shit Trump and his cronies are trying to convince people exist.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!
    When does this become an argument for why he should get to stay in power despite losing the vote?

Fuck those 230,000 Americans, where's MY credit

Ironically, if his Administration hadn't been such a shitshow Pharma likely would have been able to start working on a vaccine a month or two earlier than they had. Meaning this comes out September/ October and wins him the election.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    SCOTUS has no incentive to attempt to overturn the election. They can do nothing and achieve all of their objectives. Why would they go out of their way to save Trump? He’s served his purpose.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

Swing(ish) states:
    Florida - Rubio (R)
    Ohio - Portman (R)
    Arizona - Kelly (D)
    Colorado - Bennett (D)

That's...an encouraging map actually. Potential pickups in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. Maybe Florida and Iowa. Defending seats look fairly safe.

camo_sig2.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Swing(ish) states:
    Florida - Rubio (R)
    Ohio - Portman (R)
    Arizona - Kelly (D)
    Colorado - Bennett (D)

That's...an encouraging map actually. Potential pickups in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. Maybe Florida and Iowa. Defending seats look fairly safe.

The question is whether the country's in any mood then to vote for who we put up for them...

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The race in AZ has tightened up a bit:

Biden's lead is down to 14746 which is a bummer but not unexpected given the rural county ballots were counted/updated today, but with the official estimated ballots outstanding (early mail-in & provisional) Trump now needs closer to ~62% up from ~61% yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.