As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Election 2020] Joe Biden Wins

1979899100101103»

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I mean. I guess. But if the scotus decides to hand it to Trump they can and there’s nothing we can do.

There’s a lot of paths they can take to get there too. And there’s zero reason to believe they won’t.

Let’s say they go ahead and overturn the election off just the bullshit they’ve said so far.

Why wouldn’t they do it? And how would anyone stop them?

SCOTUS also doesn't have much reason to back trump with this stupidity; he can't oust them, bully them or bribe them since they have their seat's for life and whether he's in office or not has little baring on how their job goes.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I mean. I guess. But if the scotus decides to hand it to Trump they can and there’s nothing we can do.

There’s a lot of paths they can take to get there too. And there’s zero reason to believe they won’t.

Let’s say they go ahead and overturn the election off just the bullshit they’ve said so far.

Why wouldn’t they do it? And how would anyone stop them?

SCOTUS also doesn't have much reason to back trump with this stupidity; he can't oust them, bully them or bribe them since they have their seat's for life and whether he's in office or not has little baring on how their job goes.

There are several individuals on SCOTUS now that don't always make rational rulings.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I think the issue I see is the Supreme Court can make rather non insane decisions that give he election to trump

Where a normal court would judge the ramifications of that they won’t

Example state legislatures holding back the electors To get Biden under 270

It’s not the most unconstitutional thing. So I think this scotus would allow it.

So trump claims fraud. GOP State legislatures hold their electors, court says that’s fine, it’s in their right if they suspect fraud, House picks trump

I honestly don’t see how this doesn’t hallen assuming the GOP holds enough state power which I know they do in Wisconsin

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The race in AZ has tightened up a bit:

Biden's lead is down to 14746 which is a bummer but not unexpected given the rural county ballots were counted/updated today, but with the official estimated ballots outstanding (early mail-in & provisional) Trump now needs closer to ~62% up from ~61% yesterday.

If Trump isn't getting the numbers he needs even in the rural count, isn't that not really tightening of the race? Assuming there is mixed vote, or biden favoring vote still out there, him winning a bit more than 50% and needing a bit more than 60% is going to get pretty tough pretty fast.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Does Biden get 270 if he loses WI, AZ and GA but hold PA, MI and NV?

616610-1.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

269 Tie.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The race in AZ has tightened up a bit:

Biden's lead is down to 14746 which is a bummer but not unexpected given the rural county ballots were counted/updated today, but with the official estimated ballots outstanding (early mail-in & provisional) Trump now needs closer to ~62% up from ~61% yesterday.

If Trump isn't getting the numbers he needs even in the rural count, isn't that not really tightening of the race? Assuming there is mixed vote, or biden favoring vote still out there, him winning a bit more than 50% and needing a bit more than 60% is going to get pretty tough pretty fast.

Tightened based on counted votes. Good chance that networks aren't going to project a winner in this race until there's fewer votes left to count than the differential, there are no more votes left to count.

I guess the same thing with Georgia? I'm a bit confused on that one though, last I checked Biden is 13k+ and there were 20k+ votes left to count a few days ago. So I'm not sure what's missing there.

Mvrck wrote: »

269 Tie.

Cool. So we’ll be one ev shy of escaping this mess when WI, AZ and GA state legislatures hold back their electors because they feel the election was fraudulent and SCOTUS upholds it

Fun

616610-1.png
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

269 Tie.

Cool. So we’ll be one ev shy of escaping this mess when WI, AZ and GA state legislatures hold back their electors because they feel the election was fraudulent and SCOTUS upholds it

Fun

Yeah, that would be bad.

Have you seen any sign that they're going to do that? Do the legislatures in those states actually have the power to do that under state law?

cckerberos.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Honestly, if we get to that point, I'm not sure how much longer the EC would be relevant.

Due to, you know, the country descending into unrest.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Doing some research and in Wisconsin at least, it's in state law how the votes are handled and the legislature has no say in it. They'd have to introduce and pass a law to change that, and they have a Dem governor who could veto.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-election-officials-gop-lawmakers-cannot-unilaterally-select-presidential-electors/article_76b2fcf6-996d-5fe3-94c6-0d7e173d3156.html

EDIT: Looks like Arizona has a similar law and even makes faithless electors non-viable.
    https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-16-elections-and-electors/az-rev-st-sect-16-212.html

Undead Scottsman on
    I don’t think it’s faithless though. I’ll try to dig up the article. But it has to do with them just not sending any instead

Not sending pro trump ones

616610-1.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Most states have laws that dictate how electors are supposed to be allocated.

There’s all this talk from big brained 4chaners about state legislatures getting to choose the electors...which they have done by codifying how electors are chosen in their states constitution and legal codes. That last bit is the part everyone forgets. States have laws that dictate how this shit gets done, it’s why Nebraska gives us 1 super clutch elector and Maine gives us 3 and not 4.

And I wasn’t kidding about that clutch elector. It makes it so that Trump requires multiple battles on multiple fronts, and has to win every one of them to prevail. Without that elector it would simplify the bullshit he would have to engage in.

zepherin on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Wisconsin's legislature can't hold back its electors, nor does it get to pick them, the laws already establish that process. If they had a R governor they might be able to pull some shitfuckery, but they don't

I don’t think it’s faithless though. I’ll try to dig up the article. But it has to do with them just not sending any instead

Not sending pro trump ones

I wasn't talking about faithless electors (except as an aside in the Arizona law). I'm talking about the actual laws in the states about how the electors are handled. Constitution says the legislatures decide, and those laws are the "decisions" that are held true under law. They'd need to repeal that law first to affect the electors and in Wisconsin's case, the Dem governor can veto the attempt.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone is really interested in stealing this election for Trump except Trump and co

the GOP is perfectly happy to have the senate after having secured SCOTUS

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

269 Tie.

Fun

Cobra defeating G.I. Joe and installing Destro, Baroness, and Doctor Mindbender on the Supreme Court is more likely.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

269 Tie.

Fun

Cobra defeating G.I. Joe and installing Destro, Baroness, and Doctor Mindbender on the Supreme Court is more likely.

At least Dr Mindbender didn't go to Harvard or Yale.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Part of me is wondering if the news part of Fox News is just now slowly realizing how much everyone around them has drunk the kool-aid.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to claim to you that the betting markets are good political predictors then please inform them that on the 10th of November - a full week after the election - that the largest political betting market in the world in Betfair rated Joe Biden as only having a 94% chance of winning the popular vote.

My mind, it is blown.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Most of the stuff that’s coming out of this is pretty laughable; it’s just kind of one mis-step after another.

But there are two things that concern me: the shotgun approach with the cases and whatever ratfucking Barr’s people are lubing up for.

All that needs to happen is one case needs to be taken seriously and that’s their SC ticket. And Barr’s pretty skilled at what he does, and the resignation of the guy in charge who specifically cites his award for integrity and professionalism in his resignation letter? I’m not worried, but I am rather concerned as to what’s coming.

I’m hoping this is all a dog and pony show for Trump’s attention, but McConnell is involved, so...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
This discussion has been closed.