As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 Election] I Won, Says Loser

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
They dug up the White House lawn last night and are building a bigger wall around it. In a couple of days we'll probably see some trenches being dug and foxholes being placed into the Rose Garden ready for the final assault.

Anyway, Trump refuses to concede, Barr is making noises about ratfucking the results, and Joe Biden won.

Bogart on

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Is Alaska still not being called? Or did I just miss it?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    They dug up the White House lawn last night and are building a bigger wall around it. In a couple of days we'll probably see some tranches being dug and foxholes being dug into the Rose Garden ready for the final assault.

Anyway, Trump refuses to concede, Barr is making noises about ratfucking the results, and Joe Biden won.

They say the best gambling opportunity is to bet on an event you already know the outcome off and currently the betting markets are offering just that.

The markets are mad.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Technical question regarding the Senate. Is it at 48-50 right now and all we are waiting for is the Georgia runoffs? Or are there other outstanding Senate races?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    They dug up the White House lawn last night and are building a bigger wall around it. In a couple of days we'll probably see some tranches being dug and foxholes being dug into the Rose Garden ready for the final assault.

They say the best gambling opportunity is to bet on an event you already know the outcome off and currently the betting markets are offering just that.

The markets are mad.

The worst part is, if you bet against, you're unlikely to get paid out, at least not in the canned goods and ammunition that will be the only things of value at that point.

On a different tack, there was a discussion in the previous thread I was responding to when it was closed, about Pfizer not being part of the governmental response because it would have put profit restrictions (10%?) on the vaccine, and them being Big Pharma, nope, profiteering in a pandemic is their go to.

My question is, is this something a Biden Administration can Defense Production Act on, if they decide to go full Shkreli on, and mark it up to extortion levels?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    They dug up the White House lawn last night and are building a bigger wall around it. In a couple of days we'll probably see some trenches being dug and foxholes being placed into the Rose Garden ready for the final assault.

This is 2020 so I'm going to need some clarification: is this a real thing which is happening?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wait, is that why they dug up the lawn? Or are these separate projects. Because there is a lot of lawn between the WH and where the fence/wall is/should be.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, I don't actually think they're fortifying the White House for an assault by the army.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Fuck Manchin, we pretty much need a miracle now with at least one of NC or AK, ideally both, then win the GA runoffs. The fact that he is on board with keeping the filibuster, means that fuck all gets done because the sack of shit knows the democrats won't have the votes to get anything done if he is vote 50. This means the GOP can veto DC and PR statehood. Yeah, fuck the Senate, after the EC that's the next fucking pile of shit the founding fathers gave this nation that needs to go the way of dinosaur. I'm fucking tired of having a shitty minority of white supremacist fuckers, fucking up my nation because they are fucking losers. I also say this as a white male, fuck my demographic into the ground.

As for concerns of the SCOTUS stealing the election. It's not going to happen. There is nothing that Trump can promise them that is a better deal than what they already have. He needs five justices to make it happen and he'd need them to rule that way on multiple cases. I'm pretty sure at least two will tell him to get stuffed and that all we need to join the three liberals. I mean, Barrett and Kavanaugh are probably compromised enough that they may do his bidding, we still don't know who paid off Kavanaugh's debt and Barrett is a fucking loon, but that's all Trump has going for him here. I think Gorsuch is a giant piece of shit, but I suspect he isn't compromised in a way that Trump can work with because when Trump picked him, he was probably picked more as a reward for republicans than being a someone that would do Trump's bidding. Roberts also gets that controlling the court is meaningless if it's seen as invalid and illegitimate and the surest way to make that happen, would be to steal the election for Trump.

Here's the other thing people miss. SCOTUS has no enforcement power period. The only reason SCOTUS's decision have had any clout is that people have been willing to comply. All signs actually point to the military not being on board with a SCOTUS led coup. If you don't have the US military, you don't have a means to do a coup. People kind of forget that one of the reasons the US even exists as it currently does, is that the French were willing to get involved in the revolutionary war, that was back of a foreign power. Modern times also seem to indicate that you need the backing of someone power if you want to overthrow a government and don't get your own military on board. Russia doesn't have the means to do so and the Chinese would likely prefer to work with Biden because it he won't be a potential existential threat. Someone did the run down of what would likely happen if SCOTUS tried this. The coup would likely cost them their majority because everyone that signed on to that would be told to get fucked, face jail time and be removed. Worst case for them, assuming they don't get assassinated by a very pissed off citizenry in DC, is that they get tried for treason, convicted and executed. It also likely costs them some legislative seats because you know a bunch of idiot republicans will be on board. You might even get a scenario where the blue states, that have the bulk of the nation's economy get enough leverage to nuke both the EC and the Senate because neither benefits them and both are a detriment. A coup is an all or nothing gambit that will likely to fail in a way that really fucks the GOP over.

All that said, what the GOP is dong it incredibly dangerous because it might very well get people killed. Just because someone has no shot of winning, doesn't mean they necessarily realize or that they won't be able to act in a way that causes harm.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I defer to your analysis Mill, but that last bit is what is causing me to really waver about all of this. I very much think that the GOP is willing to burn this entire place down if they can rule over the ashes.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Guys, I don't actually think they're fortifying the White House for an assault by the army.

Obviously it's Biden's dog getting settled in.

Tav on
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Isn't that lawn work to fix damaged caused by a Trump campaign event?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Trump's gonna sell pieces of the White House lawn to his followers.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Nonsense! When did he or his subordinates ever repair a thing they damaged?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I defer to your analysis Mill, but that last bit is what is causing me to really waver about all of this. I very much think that the GOP is willing to burn this entire place down if they can rule over the ashes.

Oh, I agree. They are quite willing to burn the country down, if they think they'll get to govern over the ashes. It's why if the SCOTUS did attempt a coup, that they would lose seats in Congress because you'd get a group that would gleefully back Trump thus have to get removed when the attempt fails.

The big caveat here is that they have to believe they'll get to rule over the ashes and for that to happen they'd need to have their heads so far up their asses to believe they'd win. I doubt Roberts or Gorsuch are in such a state, I'm willing to bet both realize that there is a ton of disdain for Trump within the military. That patience for GOP ratfuckery is at an all time low. So such a coup would just backfire on them. Besides why go for the unlikely thing that could be a massive blow to their ability do anything for decades and just run with the current setup that not only lets' them continue to ratfuck their nation, but also gives them the most bullshit thing to run. Keep Biden from being as effective as possible and then run on a platform screaming about how the democrats can't get anything done.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Fuck Manchin, we pretty much need a miracle now with at least one of NC or AK, ideally both, then win the GA runoffs. The fact that he is on board with keeping the filibuster, means that fuck all gets done because the sack of shit knows the democrats won't have the votes to get anything done if he is vote 50. This means the GOP can veto DC and PR statehood. Yeah, fuck the Senate, after the EC that's the next fucking pile of shit the founding fathers gave this nation that needs to go the way of dinosaur. I'm fucking tired of having a shitty minority of white supremacist fuckers, fucking up my nation because they are fucking losers. I also say this as a white male, fuck my demographic into the ground.

As for concerns of the SCOTUS stealing the election. It's not going to happen. There is nothing that Trump can promise them that is a better deal than what they already have. He needs five justices to make it happen and he'd need them to rule that way on multiple cases. I'm pretty sure at least two will tell him to get stuffed and that all we need to join the three liberals. I mean, Barrett and Kavanaugh are probably compromised enough that they may do his bidding, we still don't know who paid off Kavanaugh's debt and Barrett is a fucking loon, but that's all Trump has going for him here. I think Gorsuch is a giant piece of shit, but I suspect he isn't compromised in a way that Trump can work with because when Trump picked him, he was probably picked more as a reward for republicans than being a someone that would do Trump's bidding. Roberts also gets that controlling the court is meaningless if it's seen as invalid and illegitimate and the surest way to make that happen, would be to steal the election for Trump.

Here's the other thing people miss. SCOTUS has no enforcement power period. The only reason SCOTUS's decision have had any clout is that people have been willing to comply. All signs actually point to the military not being on board with a SCOTUS led coup. If you don't have the US military, you don't have a means to do a coup. People kind of forget that one of the reasons the US even exists as it currently does, is that the French were willing to get involved in the revolutionary war, that was back of a foreign power. Modern times also seem to indicate that you need the backing of someone power if you want to overthrow a government and don't get your own military on board. Russia doesn't have the means to do so and the Chinese would likely prefer to work with Biden because it he won't be a potential existential threat. Someone did the run down of what would likely happen if SCOTUS tried this. The coup would likely cost them their majority because everyone that signed on to that would be told to get fucked, face jail time and be removed. Worst case for them, assuming they don't get assassinated by a very pissed off citizenry in DC, is that they get tried for treason, convicted and executed. It also likely costs them some legislative seats because you know a bunch of idiot republicans will be on board. You might even get a scenario where the blue states, that have the bulk of the nation's economy get enough leverage to nuke both the EC and the Senate because neither benefits them and both are a detriment. A coup is an all or nothing gambit that will likely to fail in a way that really fucks the GOP over.

All that said, what the GOP is dong it incredibly dangerous because it might very well get people killed. Just because someone has no shot of winning, doesn't mean they necessarily realize or that they won't be able to act in a way that causes harm.

That's a smart move if you're a shitty person who is only interested in keeping your Democratic Senate seat in a state that's beet red. Actually having to vote on anything would only cost you votes. Manchin's vote for a Democratic majority leader (assuming that becomes a thing this year) is still valuable, but by not supporting the removal of the filibuster he's basically conceding the legislative agenda to the Republicans. I guess we'll see just how far we can rules lawyer the budget reconciliation process.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I’m more worried about what Barr has up his sleeve, talking with McConnell.

I want to think it’s a dog and pony show to whip people up for the runoffs, but...like I said, the guy with the award for professionalism and integrity leaving and citing it in his resignation? That’s what has me thinking they’re cooking something up, and it involves rats and enough lube to fuck the results.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Ok this made me laugh because it gave me flashbacks to our neighbor growing up.

He would mow is lawn with a push mower to get all of the edging and around the trees and whatnot.

Then he'd do the majority of the lawn on a riding lawn mower.

Next he'd bring out a gas powered trimmer to make sure that everything was just right.

Finally he'd bring the push mower back out and, without it actually running, walk his entire lawn in order to get the pattern in the grass right.

He'd do this every week. All summer. Every year.

To bring this back to the situation at hand I remembered this because I'm trying to imagine my old neighbor's reaction to "Hey, so we're gonna have a hundred or so people on your lawn for a few hours and"

At which point I'm pretty sure the stabbing would start :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Following discussion form the last page of the last thread about state legislatures using that "as prescribed by the state" thing and appointing their own choice of electors: the original 13 all adopted laws on popular vote appointing the electors (mostly right after and most (but not all) other states have as well. This covers Wisconsin and Arizona at least.

One dude from the Pennsylvania legislature says he talked to the Trump campaign about that, but it'll go to Pennsylvania court and get "asking you as a member of the bar"ed straight in the bucket.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Technical question regarding the Senate. Is it at 48-50 right now and all we are waiting for is the Georgia runoffs? Or are there other outstanding Senate races?

it is technically 48-48 right now and we're also waiting on NC and AK results but that are both very likely to stay R so it is essentially 48-50 and waiting on the GA runoffs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    So how many folks are moving to GA for the next three months? I hear they got soda.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Ok this made me laugh because it gave me flashbacks to our neighbor growing up.

He would mow is lawn with a push mower to get all of the edging and around the trees and whatnot.

Then he'd do the majority of the lawn on a riding lawn mower.

Next he'd bring out a gas powered trimmer to make sure that everything was just right.

Finally he'd bring the push mower back out and, without it actually running, walk his entire lawn in order to get the pattern in the grass right.

He'd do this every week. All summer. Every year.

To bring this back to the situation at hand I remembered this because I'm trying to imagine my old neighbor's reaction to "Hey, so we're gonna have a hundred or so people on your lawn for a few hours and"

At which point I'm pretty sure the stabbing would start :P

Did we have the same neighbor growing up?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I am real concerned about this Barr thing.

Best Case Scenario - It's to keep the base fired up long enough to try and win the GA runoffs. This isn't great because it means two months of hyper-partisan rhetoric that the election was 'stolen', and drastically increases the chances of stochastic terrorism. As a lesser result, it encourages Trump to delay the transition.

Worst Case Scenario - It's the first step in an attempted coup

Or anything in between could happen.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Its bluster to fire up the base for the runoff elections and to save face for when Trump leaves. There is a extremely low chance that they actually try to pull a coup, and if they did they wouldn't have the law, media, or military supporting them at this stage. How much trust in fair elections they destroy, and how much they damage of our executive departments along the way, is worth worrying about. A coup isn't.

Because in the instance of that .01% where they start a coup, all bets are off and the country is effectively gone at that stage.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    It's to juice turnout for the runoffs.

If the Rs hold on to the senate they can kneecap Biden's presidency and unless the Ds play super rough or get their shit together with a quickness Republicans will likely have the trifecta back in as little as four years.

No point in going for a coup when you basically won anyway.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Manchin is actually really easy to deal with.

Eject him from the Democratic caucus, strip him of all seniority and move on.

There's no reason to keep him around as a 'Democrat" when he doesn't vote with the party on anything of value.

Let him become a Republican or run as an Independent and run someone else as a Democrat.

Sure you might lose by splitting the vote and getting another Republican, but how is that any different?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

That's a smart move if you're a shitty person who is only interested in keeping your Democratic Senate seat in a state that's beet red. Actually having to vote on anything would only cost you votes. Manchin's vote for a Democratic majority leader (assuming that becomes a thing this year) is still valuable, but by not supporting the removal of the filibuster he's basically conceding the legislative agenda to the Republicans. I guess we'll see just how far we can rules lawyer the budget reconciliation process.

It's also possible that he's just playing the politics he needs to.

While I wouldn't bet on it, it's possible that the urge for bipartisanship is met with obstructionism, and Manchin is able to say something like "I wanted a return to the statesmanship of the past. McConnell refuses to do anything but obstruct, and it is hurting Americans, leaving us no choice but to invoke the nuclear option as Americans are hurting, and this shutdown/pandemic/healthcare crisis needs to be dealt with. That doesn't mean the Biden Administrationhas a blank cheque, but I will vote on bills that help the people of this great nation."

Essentially, giving Mitch first swing, and being ready with "fuck around, and find out".

It's possible, even likely, Manchin is just a prick. But I can absolutely see someone who's had to negotiate being a Democrat in West Virginia, a successful one at that, needing to make sure he's not seen as a tool of the left.

And the power that being the 50th vote on a bill would give him, either for pork or to shape each bill? Versus just being a meaningless cog in a machine that does nothing for two years?

I'd say it's less than 50/50, but a bit more than 0.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

There's no reason to keep him around as a 'Democrat" when he doesn't vote with the party on anything of value.

Let him become a Republican or run as an Independent and run someone else as a Democrat.

Sure you might lose by splitting the vote and getting another Republican, but how is that any different?

60% of the time (or whatever). Usually the times when his vote actually would make a difference.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    My thoughts on the Manchin stuff (which, btw, yall need to ease up, what with it not being 2021 yet) is this: his line was specifically "senate is good place for debate. Bipartisanship. Rah rah."

First his vote only matters if we take both GA seats. If we do, Democrats put up some bills, Republicans stall and fart around and very quickly he can pivot to "we tried for bipartisanship but the Rs wouldn't play nice. See ya later, Fil!"

Why is it when we see the right play this game so many of you can spot it a mile away but when it comes from our side the pitchforks instantly come out?

• Options
    P.S. MorganV thank you for writing the same thing but with a better grasp on English than I have at 7am.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I think Manchin deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Now, it is entirely possible he fucks us. He wouldn't be the first dem voting against dem interests. But let's wait to pass out torches and pitchforks until he actually decides to vote against his party.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Trump thinks these moves are to let him keep the Presidency that he won. Because he's Trump, he wins, he doesn't lose. Losing just means you didn't cheat enough.
    McConnell is likely mostly doing this to keep the heat going for the Georgia runoffs. He'd be content with blocking everything for the next two years in the hopes of repeating the 2010 election results.
    Barr though... he's smart enough to recognize that this will be important for the runoff, but also ruthless enough that he might really push things if this gets any real traction. I don't think he believes there's a real chance of overturning the election results, but I don't think he's just going through the motions to keep the base fired up. If nothing else, he's going to do his best to turn the 2020 election into the next Benghazi/emails server.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2020
    My feeling is that Barr's involvement is to expedite getting this into the federal courts since the state filings were roundly and quickly dismissed. The clock they're racing against is December 14th, when the electoral college casts their votes.

This could go any number of ways - faithless electors, the GSA refusing to initiate the transition after a Biden vote, etc - but it seems unlikely that Barr is going to be able to produce the evidence needed to substantiate a massive, orchestrated fraud effort or that the SC would make any kind of ruling against the state's right to manage their own elections.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The Barr thing is going to end up going nowhere, just like all the Barr ratfucking investigations have gone. Remember his investigation into the FBI's lack of investigation into Hillary? Or the "unmasking" investigation? They all ended suddenly with no outcome and no report. This will be the same thing.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    But doing incalculable damage to American democracy to appease his loser of a boss.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The Barr thing is going to end up going nowhere, just like all the Barr ratfucking investigations have gone. Remember his investigation into the FBI's lack of investigation into Hillary? Or the "unmasking" investigation? They all ended suddenly with no outcome and no report. This will be the same thing.

The point of it is not to find anything, it's just to taint the waters so the next 4 years can be seen as corrupt, like the 4 years spent convincing Obama was not eligible to be president.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ammo to keep their base mad

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

That would be very stupid. Manchin would not be replaced by a moderate Republican because they don’t exist in WV, but a swivel-eyed fascist, which is the party norm there.

A leftist Democrat couldn’t win against Hitler there.

We actually need more Manchins not less - conservative Democrat assholes who can win in Red states and vote our way a lot more than a Republican would.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I think they were always going to look for some way to delegitimize the next Dem President. If it hadn’t been this, it would have been whatever other shiny opportunity they worked up.

It’s still bad that they are doing it, but after Democrats had spent these last years (rightfully) saying that Trump’s win wasn’t legit. There’s no way Republicans weren’t going to turn around and do the same thing. Because they are petty, childish, assholes.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The point of it is not to find anything, it's just to taint the waters so the next 4 years can be seen as corrupt, like the 4 years spent convincing Obama was not eligible to be president.

The base is going to think that no matter what.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.